Ballad of Death

fred_carston

35 minutes ago, tremolo said:

3.- way to project yourself on everybody else.

You don’t get to define the nature of GNR, although you do get to enjoy their music or bitch about what doesn’t fit in what you consider defines GNR.

The song is pretty generic and flat, it starts in point A, it stays there and it ends there.

You're right, I don't. I'm not projecting anything of myself. I'm giving you my opinion.

I think Chinese Democracy had too many slow songs, and it grows a bit tiring to hear it because of that (Doesn't mean I don't like the album). I think it's fair to say that Appetite for Destruction is the album that defines the band. Appetite had 1 slow song. That's what I meant by true nature. I think everyone expected a more aggressive album. I think people expected Oh My God and Silkworms to come out on Chinese Democracy for example.

Also, I think people would be happy with a more aggressive album, doesn't mean you have to think the same, but if we did a poll, I bet you I'm right!

Edited by Propaganda

2 hours ago, tremolo said:

3.- way to project yourself on everybody else.

You don’t get to define the nature of GNR, although you do get to enjoy their music or bitch about what doesn’t fit in what you consider defines GNR.

The song is pretty generic and flat, it starts in point A, it stays there and it ends there.

at the end of the day the "fans" define what a band "is /could " become,  i think the general public ( or rock crowd) agrees with  @Propaganda, just lets compare the vegas residency  vs NITL tour.

10 minutes ago, Live Like a Suicide said:

I actually don't mind The Ballad of Death. :shrugs:

quite the same here. good filler between songs. I guess, anything, and I mean ANYTHING is better than half an hour drum solo, guitar solo & drum and guitar solo from the UYI tour. THAT sucked hard.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, zombux said:

legit studio version and also a legit studio version of Mi Amor DO EXIST though, their excerpts could be heard in the "3 minutes preview" that leaked in December 2013, together with other GNR songs - but as of now, they remain unleaked.

Didn't someone ask him about that during one of his Q/A's and he directly said it wasn't real and he never made a studio version of it?

8 minutes ago, AtariLegend said:

Didn't someone ask him about that during one of his Q/A's and he directly said it wasn't real and he never made a studio version of it?

I vaguely remember he said "no real version was circulating" or something like that, and indeed the "circulating version" was that fanmade backing track. 

my sources say that the snippets in the "3 minute preview" are legit.

On 17/10/2015 at 12:47 AM, Nosaj Thing said:

The sad part, he's definitely not joking. That's some quality shitposting right there.

I’m generally against improv and Dj generally respected the album versions, but once he was given a chance he nailed it. 

BOD is like a emo metal Godfather theme. 

On 18/06/2018 at 6:52 PM, zombux said:

yes, but that was a live version, not studio version.

AFDem was released on cd but I never got round to getting that version. It’s basically Live Era 2. 

11 minutes ago, wasted said:

AFDem was released on cd but I never got round to getting that version. It’s basically Live Era 2. 

it is, just much much worse. while Live Era is entertaining (no matter how much stuff was re-recorded and tweaked in the studio), AfDem is embarassing. first few songs are really good, but then Mickey arrives and pretty much only the solo spots are listenable.

7 minutes ago, zombux said:

it is, just much much worse. while Live Era is entertaining (no matter how much stuff was re-recorded and tweaked in the studio), AfDem is embarassing. first few songs are really good, but then Mickey arrives and pretty much only the solo spots are listenable.

What I remember is damcing girls on Rocket, Axl’s flying piano on Nov Rain and Dj and Tommy wrestling on Patience. I think they played Catcher too. 

2 hours ago, themadcaplaughs said:

Does anyone have a GIF of that show where Tommy sarcastically applauds DJ after the "Patience" solo. I want to say it was from a 2014 show, but I cannot find it or remember which show. 

It's the same show isn't it? I can't remember exactly either, but I know what you're talking about and it used to crack me up. 

18 hours ago, RussTCB said:

Sorry.............same show as the "LIVIN' THE DREAM!" thing where Axl & Ron were openly making fun of DJ on the A4D blu-ray.

Gotcha. I remember Axl's "livin' the dream" on Appetite for Democracy. That was pretty funny. 

I am like 99% sure the Tommy clap was from a 2014 show. There was also a moment from a 2014 show where Axl and Ron talk during DJ's "Patience" solo, and Axl makes some sort of funny hand gesture. At the time, most people thought they were making fun of DJ, although I always thought it was possible Axl and Ron were just shooting the shit. 

http://freegifmaker.me/images/2ckLv/

Edited by themadcaplaughs

I like the 3 of Ashba solos; but not for Guns. I'd enjoy if Ashba decides to release an instrumental album himself; I'll buy it.

As a member... meh, I think he was never the correct replacement for Robin, but I must say he played some Robin solos pretty well, I prefer his TIL solo over any of those Slash has made.

That subject actually triggers me a little bit, Slash is one of the best "slow solos" composer in the world, what he did with Dont cry is pure gold; why cant he compose a good one for TIL?! That song needs a good solo.

Ah, whatevs... I let my mind go... As I said, This I Love has a great solo, and, as we never could see Finck playing it live, im sticking up with the Ashba version.