"What Movie Did You Watch?" - 2020 Edition

13 minutes ago, Oldest Goat said:

@Angelica @Len Cnut

'The Warriors'

4.4/5

Cheesy but great. Now I want to play the game.

I'm actually quite interested in Once Were Warriors, got  it downloaded, just trying to find a gap between my ceaseless viewing of old Hollywood to slip it in there.  Its day'll soon come.  Strikes me as something like a kiwi Nil By Mouth. 

Fury is actually a reasonably good war film and fairly historically accurate. They used a bona fide German Tiger I, the only surviving operational one in the world which they borrowed from The Tank Museum in Bovington. It was captured by the 48th Royal Tank Regiment in Tunisia in 1943 and shipped to England. It is the first time a genuine Tiger I has been used in a movie since 1950. Here she is today, in her museum,

1024px-Panzerkampfwagen_VI_Ausf_E_(SdKfz

Compare this to Saving Private Ryan which used some Czech Cold War era tank dressed up as a Tiger. In most war films the tanks are dodgy as hell (one exception is Cross of Iron).

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

Panic in the Streets (1950) - Richard Widmark, Jack Palance, his debut in fact.  Directed by Elia Kazan.

Ah yes, good ole Jack Palance.  Spent most of my childhood scared to death of him after seeing his portrayal of Dracula. Interestingly, I think Jim Morrison listed him as his favorite actor.

Edited by lame ass security

Polar

Tries to be another John Wick and fall short for the most part.  There's some decent action sequences but the production values and acting are subpar.  Definitely more brutal than John Wick (the power drill to the head was hard to watch).  

Some weird canoes (Richard Dreyfuss makes a very short and weird appearance).  

5.5/10 for me.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, F*ck Fear said:

Insidious.

Terrible film, so I won't be bothering with the rest of the franchise.

Oh I liked those movies. The last one with the Key was good. I like that lady who plays the psychic. She's cool.

The husband annoyed me since he knew what was going on and didn't tell his wife. The demons from the other side were way creepy.

The third movie was about another family and that was pretty goo.

43 minutes ago, dontdamnmeuyi2015 said:

Oh I liked those movies. The last one with the Key was good. I like that lady who plays the psychic. She's cool.

The husband annoyed me since he knew what was going on and didn't tell his wife. The demons from the other side were way creepy.

The third movie was about another family and that was pretty goo.

I felt in comparison, Insidious was not as good as the Conjuring films. I watched them first then could not get into Insidious at all.

Alita: Battle Angel

It's hard to decide one way or the other how I feel about this film. It had amazing sequences, 3D that lived up to 3D and it was chock full of great actors. But the common criticism you'll hear is that it feels like an unfinished film, as far as the plot goes. It has a climax that promises another climax, but doesn't go there. It's a case where teasing the audience goes beyond what's acceptable and winds up feeling like the film is missing an act.

I can't say enough for Rosa Salazar, she is so beautiful and so deadly. Every time the camera focuses on her, the film shines. It might be a case where you have an amazing character in an average film. 

18 hours ago, appetite4illusions said:

Alita: Battle Angel

It's hard to decide one way or the other how I feel about this film. It had amazing sequences, 3D that lived up to 3D and it was chock full of great actors. But the common criticism you'll hear is that it feels like an unfinished film, as far as the plot goes. It has a climax that promises another climax, but doesn't go there. It's a case where teasing the audience goes beyond what's acceptable and winds up feeling like the film is missing an act.

I can't say enough for Rosa Salazar, she is so beautiful and so deadly. Every time the camera focuses on her, the film shines. It might be a case where you have an amazing character in an average film. 

I’d describe the story as “muddled”; Certain things happen and you don’t particularly get explained the underlying reason, and some more background info on certain aspects would have definitely helped grasp more of a connection to the story overall.

That said, the action and CGI (for the most part) are incredible and like you said, it lives up to the 3D enhancement (I saw it in IMAX - totally worth it). Regardless of the muddy story, I really enjoyed it and certainly hope they get to do at least one more sequel.

On ‎2‎/‎12‎/‎2019 at 4:57 PM, F*ck Fear said:

I felt in comparison, Insidious was not as good as the Conjuring films. I watched them first then could not get into Insidious at all.

Oh I agree, The Conjuring movies were awesome! Some scenes scared the shit out of me. Loved how they brought Annabelle the doll into the mix too.

I watched:

Ocean's 8 with Sandra Bullock. It was a pretty good movie. I loved the twists and surprises like the other Ocean movies.

7 hours ago, Len Cnut said:

The Omen Part 2 (1978) - William Holden

This movie has always been a favorite of mine, kind of a guilty pleasure.  Some really unintentionally funny moments.  Like when Damien causes Mark to have an aneurysm or whatever he had, hilarity. Or Alan Arbus turning green after breathing the gas.  I assume that Holden was drunk during the filming although he was ok in it.  I did like Lee Grant though, she was a beautiful woman.

23 minutes ago, lame ass security said:

This movie has always been a favorite of mine, kind of a guilty pleasure.  Some really unintentionally funny moments.  Like when Damien causes Mark to have an aneurysm or whatever he had, hilarity. Or Alan Arbus turning green after breathing the gas.  I assume that Holden was drunk during the filming although he was ok in it.  I did like Lee Grant though, she was a beautiful woman.

There's a lot thats quite goofy about the deaths in this one, the anuerysm is probably the least of the ones I'd pick but overall there's enough going on in it to draw you in.  I wonder what would happen if they just shot him :lol: 

3 minutes ago, Len Cnut said:

There's a lot thats quite goofy about the deaths in this one, the anuerysm is probably the least of the ones I'd pick but overall there's enough going on in it to draw you in.  I wonder what would happen if they just shot him :lol: 

Oh no doubt, lol, the aneurysm is just what came to mind.  How about the old dude floating under the ice? He would float down then they would relocate him, and just look at him under the ice. Quite a scene.  Oh, and I almost forgot the woman getting her eyes plucked out by those demon crows then getting run over by a tractor trailer. Classic.