The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

Weird thing about Axl's voice is that most singers when aging their voice gets deeper and more 'raspy'. A good example is Steven Tyler. I've heard the guy live recently circa 70yo and his pipes were as good as ever...lots of rasp everywhere, so is the age thing really an excuse for Axl...? 

56 minutes ago, trqster said:

Weird thing about Axl's voice is that most singers when aging their voice gets deeper and more 'raspy'. A good example is Steven Tyler. I've heard the guy live recently circa 70yo and his pipes were as good as ever...lots of rasp everywhere, so is the age thing really an excuse for Axl...? 

I think the issue is high pitch rasp with Axl.  He has plenty of rasp in the lower registers.  Steven Tyler sings in a lower pitch with his raspyness.  His high pitch screams were never what I'd call raspy.  I'd be very impressed if he can hit the high note screams at the end of Dream On at his age.  I'll probably see for myself whenever they start their US farewell tour (which has apparently been delayed because they want to try and make another album).

4 hours ago, Gnrcane said:

I think the issue is high pitch rasp with Axl.  He has plenty of rasp in the lower registers.  Steven Tyler sings in a lower pitch with his raspyness.  His high pitch screams were never what I'd call raspy.  I'd be very impressed if he can hit the high note screams at the end of Dream On at his age.  I'll probably see for myself whenever they start their US farewell tour (which has apparently been delayed because they want to try and make another album).

He can hit them still, with ease, but it's a way different techniques than Axl, Steven is a tenor who screams in falsetto nowadays, Axl is a bass-baritone who uses chest and head voice and no falsetto

On 7/7/2017 at 8:48 PM, killuridols said:

Ok, I'll give you that 'My Michelle' you just posted :lol:

But your theory is plain wrong. Like I told you before, he's mickeymoused the whole planet by now.

That awful DVD 'Appetite For Democracy' is Mickey Mouse in full mode in Las Vegas, USA.

The Bridge School Benefit disaster happened in the United States.

And this is from last year in the USA too and it is just as awful as those Paris videos :facepalm:

who gives a shit about Axls voice that drummer is too fast...and obnoxiously horrible!...maybe that's the reason Axl sounds bad to some of you cos of that damn drummer...i know when lars from metallica drums fast james tries to keep up and he sounds horrible too!

23 hours ago, Cory Trevor said:

He can hit them still, with ease, but it's a way different techniques than Axl, Steven is a tenor who screams in falsetto nowadays, Axl is a bass-baritone who uses chest and head voice and no falsetto

Lol no falsetto. Learn about singing.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, AxlisOld said:

Lol no falsetto. Learn about singing.

Literally not one song of the show is falsetto, it's all head voice. I'll admit I thought it was falsetto the first time I heard the "Mickey voice" but it's not, I learned to sing the same style lol Axl just has a fairly soft head voice when he's not compressing the shit out of it...... I'll send you a clip of me doing the fuckin Mickey voice and then raspy voice if you want ;)

Edited by Cory Trevor

5 hours ago, Cory Trevor said:

Literally not one song of the show is falsetto, it's all head voice. I'll admit I thought it was falsetto the first time I heard the "Mickey voice" but it's not, I learned to sing the same style lol Axl just has a fairly soft head voice when he's not compressing the shit out of it...... I'll send you a clip of me doing the fuckin Mickey voice and then raspy voice if you want ;)

I would like to see this, maybe post it in the Nice Boys section. A tutorial would be cool as well!

3 minutes ago, Pedrolg said:

Axl has improved a bit as of late, imo. He is sounding decent again, his clean voice is less mickey and he seems to have found a bit more power.

I'd agree. Jungle still a bit of a miss for me but I'm not leaning towards a total loss on his voice at the moment. There definitely is power but he seems content with the show they are delivering so really if he can get RQ and Jungle back I think it's all good. 

Yesterdays is getting bothched like no other at the moment though 

2 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

I'd agree. Jungle still a bit of a miss for me but I'm not leaning towards a total loss on his voice at the moment. There definitely is power but he seems content with the show they are delivering so really if he can get RQ and Jungle back I think it's all good. 

I agree for the most part. I still wish he would take his performance up a notch, but, at this point, I believe that if he had an AC/DC gig next week he would deliver.

On 8/11/2017 at 7:21 PM, trqster said:

he had surgery done i think 

11 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Interestingly on Jungle, I was listening to the very high quality recording from the Miami show in the download section.  First I will say that live it sounded awesome.  However, upon listening to the recording, there is clearly some "clean" voice in there.  What I found interesting is that sometimes he goes from "clean" to "raspy" during a line of lyrics.

Even on the opening line, it starts off clean (but not close to "Mickey") but the word "games" is raspy.  The next line is raspy and then it goes clean again on "whatever you may need."  The third verse is quite raspy and goes into the really raspy "demonic" voice for the "if you've got a hunger for what you see...better not take it from me" line.

The way his voice changes mid song seems to show that he can still put out rasp.  Maybe his vocal chords get tired and he just can't do it all the time?  Maybe it hurts to sing raspy all the time?  It doesn't seem like an effort thing or not wanting to do it because it is there sometimes.

I wonder what the Sweet Sister/Bad Time intro to SCOM would sound like on this tour...

Edited by Gnrcane

37 minutes ago, Gnrcane said:

Interestingly on Jungle, I was listening to the very high quality recording from the Miami show in the download section.  First I will say that live it sounded awesome.  However, upon listening to the recording, there is clearly some "clean" voice in there.  What I found interesting is that sometimes he goes from "clean" to "raspy" during a line of lyrics.

Even on the opening line, it starts off clean (but not close to "Mickey") but the word "games" is raspy.  The next line is raspy and then it goes clean again on "whatever you may need."  The third verse is quite raspy and goes into the really raspy "demonic" voice for the "if you've got a hunger for what you see...better not take it from me" line.

The way his voice changes mid song seems to show that he can still put out rasp.  Maybe his vocal chords get tired and he just can't do it all the time?  Maybe it hurts to sing raspy all the time?  It doesn't seem like an effort thing or not wanting to do it because it is there sometimes.

I wonder what the Sweet Sister/Bad Time intro to SCOM would sound like on this tour...

Yea he has a lot of voice changes in Jungle, but he transitioned in and out better in 2016. Now he has trouble saying the word Jungle at the beginning. 

NOW! This has bit more bite to it ....End scream in particular show he's still got his voice from last year...
He is just cautious of being on such a big tour and maybe even advice from his vocal doctor...
Axl hasn't worked his voice this hard since the Illusion days...in terms of the amount of touring and scale

of the shows...Plus he's 26 years older ! I wish he rasp'd a bit more but at least the USA shows seem to be 

heading in a good direction ! Honestly if he delivers what he did last night in Rio, we'll have a tasty pro shot...
He just has to feel it on the night and not get lazy ! Ha.

Edited by colonizedmind

6 minutes ago, JAxlMorrison said:

My opinions from Hershey is he sounded excellent live, but the videos I shot don't do it justice.

I think being in the environment has a lot to do with it. The general excitement of being at a GN'R show combined with the acoustics of each venue seem to cover over or forgive a lot. I remember seeing them in Chicago in 2012 (I think?) and thinking Axl sounded AMAZING while I was there. Then I got the audio from the online PPV a couple days later and was like "Ooooooooooohhhhhh noooooooooooo, that's not good at all!". Obviously, the more accurate document of how he actually sounded is the recording as opposed to my perception or memory. It's still on odd thing to deal with though for sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, RussTCB said:

I think being in the environment has a lot to do with it. The general excitement of being at a GN'R show combined with the acoustics of each venue seem to cover over or forgive a lot. I remember seeing them in Chicago in 2012 (I think?) and thinking Axl sounded AMAZING while I was there. Then I got the audio from the online PPV a couple days later and was like "Ooooooooooohhhhhh noooooooooooo, that's not good at all!". Obviously, the more accurate document of how he actually sounded is the recording as opposed to my perception or memory. It's still on odd thing to deal with though for sure.

When you go to a concert, you are there to hear Axl sing live, played at high volume over a powerful PA system.  The goal is for it to sound good to you when there.  The fact that when you hear recordings later, you discover that his voice wasn't actually as good as it sounded to you doesn't matter.  You didn't buy the recording, you bought a ticket to be there.

IF (and huge IF) they ever record new music, and Axl doesn't sound right on the recordings then that is an issue because those vocals are created for the recording and are supposed to be perfect.

1 hour ago, Gnrcane said:

When you go to a concert, you are there to hear Axl sing live, played at high volume over a powerful PA system.  The goal is for it to sound good to you when there.  The fact that when you hear recordings later, you discover that his voice wasn't actually as good as it sounded to you doesn't matter.  You didn't buy the recording, you bought a ticket to be there.

IF (and huge IF) they ever record new music, and Axl doesn't sound right on the recordings then that is an issue because those vocals are created for the recording and are supposed to be perfect.

OK... Who said otherwise? 

32 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

OK... Who said otherwise? 

I was basically enhancing your point.  There are a lot of people on this thread and the site in general that say since Axl doesn't sound good on the recordings of the concert, it means the tour is a ripoff.

Hard to say what's going on. I was blown away at how good he was last year after everyone thought he had lost it.  I saw the twice in 2016 and his voice was perfect.  I listened to the apollow gig several times and I can't believe how bad it was.  There was some spots that were down right unlistenable.  He even struggled in Jungle. I don't know if it is just fatigue after all this touring and he needs a break or has has done irreversible damage.  By now I thought he would of had it back full strength.  It's time to take a break and record.  I really hope this isn't the end but the fact is that he doesn't have many good years left.  This may be a good time to head into a studio and get some fricken new music out.  

3 hours ago, yourcrazy said:

Hard to say what's going on. I was blown away at how good he was last year after everyone thought he had lost it.  I saw the twice in 2016 and his voice was perfect.  I listened to the apollow gig several times and I can't believe how bad it was.  There was some spots that were down right unlistenable.  He even struggled in Jungle. I don't know if it is just fatigue after all this touring and he needs a break or has has done irreversible damage.  By now I thought he would of had it back full strength.  It's time to take a break and record.  I really hope this isn't the end but the fact is that he doesn't have many good years left.  This may be a good time to head into a studio and get some fricken new music out.  

Yeah, I doubt he has many good years within his style. His lower registers are still great though, and could settle into them and be a great singer for years to come.

If every vocal thread gets shut down then we need to rename this one Bc I had the impression that this was the 2017 vocal thread. But if we are talking about different eras then it should stand alone...idk I'm feeling censored when it comes to talking about Axl's vocals. They are clearly the most popular topic...hell we've had an Izzy joining The Rolling Stones fan fiction thread last longer in the main discussion, it might still be there.