The "Axl's Voice" Thread - Please Keep All Discussion Here

this is the alternative voice to mickey. It’s his clean low voice with no rasp. Axl could use his natural low voice to sing like this. I don’t care for the song but I like his voice. At 2:30 he has that rapid fire vocal so you know he’s in a natural register versus that manufactured mickey nonsense.  

• Like 1
  • GNFNR 2

20 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

Oh certainly they add to enjoyment, better than nothing being there IMHO. But that's about it, they're..passable. "Incredible" graphics however? For someone to claim such thing I must assume he/she must not have very high standards in graphic design, haha.

Another incorrect assumption, you may not have enjoyed the graphics but that is in no way evidence to conclude that someone that did is somehow faulty in some way, or doesn't have taste, high standards, etc. 

Weak sauce. 

20 hours ago, StrangerInThisTown said:

He is still awesome with higher notes and that was especially evident during songs like Back In Black and Shoot To Thrill. The midrange seems to be where he struggles to achieve his classic voice, instead opting to use this horrible falsetto. He may just as well try to use his lower voice which still sounds great instead but he just doesn't which is a shame. I really want to know what Slash thinks of Axls falsetto, IMHO it sounds like a worse MK. Atleast MK still has some sort of cool tone to his voice, Axl just sounds like Mickey.

I prefer Axl's vocals and stage presence over MK's any day of the week. 

• Like 1

just going through some ACDC performances and I've always skipped this song but tell me this doesn't sound like 90's Axl Rose. Those first few lines gave me goosebumps 

I've heard him use a tremendous amount of rasp but the sharpness in his notes here is what gives it that Classic Axl sound imo. Just shows he knows how to access that vocal still, but keeps it under wraps 99.9% of the time.

just the way the word "rebel" hits at 1:43 with that quick change in pitch but retains its sharpness is something we heard so much during the UYI concerts. To me it's part of his trademark sound and it's so nice to hear on a 2016 vocal 

Edited by IncitingChaos
  • Like 4

Axl will probably never try to use consistently his trademark rasp anymore after whatever happened to his voice/vocal chords after 2010 where he was rasping 99% of the time... My guess is that he got his vocal chords damaged in that period and has had to have an operation. Now he just takes things easier with his also trademark (lol) Mickey falsetto.

32 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

With many saying its normal that Axl lost his voice, due to his age, are there rockstars from old rock bands that still retained most of their voice?

Bruce Dickinson has, Steven Tyler for a great part of his carreer also sounds very close to what he used to, Eddie Vedder...

37 minutes ago, ChristmasFnatic said:

With many saying its normal that Axl lost his voice, due to his age, are there rockstars from old rock bands that still retained most of their voice?

I mean I still don't think he has lost his voice at all, more just parts of touring in 2017 that weren't as good compared to 2016.  But his voice, for many of the shows the past couple of years were heaps better than anything he ever did on any show in 2001, 2002, and 2012-2014, so from my perspective if he is "on", he is still great

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

Bruce Dickinson has, Steven Tyler for a great part of his carreer also sounds very close to what he used to, Eddie Vedder...

Steven Tyler really sounds fucking amazing.

I've always been saying that Mercury, Plant and Tyler are the best rock singers to ever walk this planet. That's at least my top 3.

Dickinsons voice still sounds great, but he can't really hit notes anymore. I don't mean the high ones, he can still get there, just notes in general. His voice is still what it used to be but the rest is very off. But god bless that man after all his cancer shit.

Sebastian Bach also still sounds amazing, but he's not even 50 is he?

Brian Johnson still sounds great, even though he seemed to struggle a bit during the RoB tour.

But to name some that also 'lost' their voices there's Jon Bon Jovi, James Hetfield, Joe Elliott...

There's also Mick Jagger but he never had a voice to begin with, he's not a "vocalist", it's more like talk-singing.

1 hour ago, WhazUp said:

But his voice, for many of the shows the past couple of years were heaps better than anything he ever did on any show in 2001, 2002, and 2012-2014

Completely disagree... on average, he sounded just as bad in 2017 as the worst of the 2012-14 shows, and not nearly as good as 01-02. I'd say last year was as bad or worse than 2013-early 2014...

Although, I also don't think he's lost his voice- just put in the minimal effort most of the time, and brought some intensity to like 4 songs a night, as a 'preservation method' so he can keep doing AC/DC.

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, Gordon Comstock said:

Completely disagree... on average, he sounded just as bad in 2017 as the worst of the 2012-14 shows, and not nearly as good as 01-02. I'd say last year was as bad or worse than 2013-early 2014...

Although, I also don't think he's lost his voice- just put in the minimal effort most of the time, and brought some intensity to like 4 songs a night, as a 'preservation method' so he can keep doing AC/DC.

Agree I think he signed on with ACDC officially for an album and tour and since then has given the “safest” effort possible to insure he can be 100% for ACDC 

• Like 4

I forgot to name Rob Halford...he's had ups and downs, but everytime he releases an album he still sounds like he's supposed to.

The thing that confuses me is that Axl didn't sound like his former self on most parts of Chinese....all the others we've mentioned (Seb Bach, Hetfield, Dickinson, Tyler, etc) sound on their records like they should. Maybe they don't live, but on their records its great. 

I hope if we ever hear something new from Axl, he sounds like Axl, the unmatchable Axl Rose, the one and only, and for me, the best ever. 

1 minute ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I forgot to name Rob Halford...he's had ups and downs, but everytime he releases an album he still sounds like he's supposed to.

The thing that confuses me is that Axl didn't sound like his former self on most parts of Chinese....all the others we've mentioned (Seb Bach, Hetfield, Dickinson, Tyler, etc) sound on their records like they should. Maybe they don't live, but on their records its great. 

I hope if we ever hear something new from Axl, he sounds like Axl, the unmatchable Axl Rose, the one and only, and for me, the best ever. 

He sounded like Axl on Bach’s record but completely sabotaged CD with his vocals.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, IncitingChaos said:

He sounded like Axl on Bach’s record but completely sabotaged CD with his vocals.

I tried to understand why he did that...honestly I can't...it's like he tried to erase all of his past, which is ridiculous.....

Why he wants to sound that way in some part of Chinese?

17 minutes ago, Alejandro GNR said:

I hope that in the next AC/DC album

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tremolo said:

?

Axl sounds incredible on CD. That album has some of his best vocal work and it serves the songs, and despite using a different style (less screechy), his voice is 100% recognizable and powerful.

Axl always used different vocal styles, from the very beginning. He was in a whole different league from guys like Hetfield who is pretty much a one-trick pony when it comes to vocals.

Well it's all opinion based but facts are it wasn't well received and even Axl has admitted that. Its great that he's so versatile but when it comes to CD he wasn't effective. His vocals while polished and clean sounded closer to a guy who had lost his vocals than a guy trying a new style. 

It's his album so he can sing how he wants but it's not going to be reviewed well if you don't sound like the guy that became famous under that name. 

02 VMA's he came out with that voice and it was appalling to most, nugnr instantly became a joke. That band needed a trademark Axl vocal performance with a guy wearing a kfc bucket and robin's shaved head long hair look. Instead they performed under the GNR name and it looked like and sounded like a joke. 

I understand people that like what he did vocally on cd, I love the instrumentals and hate the vocals but if you did like the vocals and everyone else is saying they aren't very good then don't be surprised when the album doesn't do well. It could have garnered much more respect had Axl brought his classic vocals. 

• Confused 1

4 hours ago, tremolo said:

?

Axl sounds incredible on CD. That album has some of his best vocal work and it serves the songs, and despite using a different style (less screechy), his voice is 100% recognizable and powerful.

Axl always used different vocal styles, from the very beginning. He was in a whole different league from guys like Hetfield who is pretty much a one-trick pony when it comes to vocals.

I agree completely, lot of stylistic diversity on CD, and it is incredible. I sincerely hope more of those songs are released in some form at some time. 

3 hours ago, IncitingChaos said:

Well it's all opinion based but facts are it wasn't well received and even Axl has admitted that. Its great that he's so versatile but when it comes to CD he wasn't effective. His vocals while polished and clean sounded closer to a guy who had lost his vocals than a guy trying a new style. 

It's his album so he can sing how he wants but it's not going to be reviewed well if you don't sound like the guy that became famous under that name. 

02 VMA's he came out with that voice and it was appalling to most, nugnr instantly became a joke. That band needed a trademark Axl vocal performance with a guy wearing a kfc bucket and robin's shaved head long hair look. Instead they performed under the GNR name and it looked like and sounded like a joke. 

I understand people that like what he did vocally on cd, I love the instrumentals and hate the vocals but if you did like the vocals and everyone else is saying they aren't very good then don't be surprised when the album doesn't do well. It could have garnered much more respect had Axl brought his classic vocals. 

02 VMA's wasn't GNR's strongest show, but they still stole the show. 

I think the vocals are brilliant on CD, they suit the songs perfectly, I am enjoying what S&D are bringing to the CD songs too. 

I never said he didn't sound good...

He sounds very good on some, incredibly good on others...good on some others.

It's all a matter of personal tastes, but for me Axl is the best singer to ever walk the earth. That said, when I listen to Axl on his records 87-93 I fall in love with his voice every time. 

On chinese, although I think he sounds very good, he doesn't reach the incredible vocals he is best known for. It's different, not bad, but diferent. I just love the old Axl sound. 

That's all I'm saying. 

• Like 1