Your thoughts on the Shadow of your Love single?

They are trying to rock, I'd give em a step above some band like Marron 5 who people insist to me are rock. But I'd still say it's more like pop rock like the type of rock you would see on a wholesome family program like the voice. 

I still remember back in the late 80s when people insisted to me Guns was metal... 

1 hour ago, Order of Nine said:

I'll check it out in a bit. 

First reminds me of Radiohead, the overhead mics on the drums seem way to hot, but possibly helps it to rock a little.  Bands like this, Marron 5, the killers, Coldplay, radiohead that type of thing it's just quirky pop that trys to rock but never fully takes flight inmho. Outta that batch I'd say the killers rock the most cause thier drummer actually creates that energy. 

I can get into Radiohead and the killers I love ok computer and the killers first release, but each are more easy listening pop more then they could ever care to admit 

Play this track before SOYL and I'm sure you'll notice the energy level difference. 

Edited by Order of Nine
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

I just strongly disagree they are rock. I suppose Brian Johnson solidified them as a rock band when he jammed with them.

They just don't have a rock band energy or attack to me.

I think you need to listen to some of the music they released earlier on, or just watch a few clip of them playing live. They are fairly heavy in places, and from what I've been told they are fantastic live. If we're calling U2 rock, then we're definitely putting Muse in the rock category. Even Muses later material is rock, even if it is a bit heavier on synths and keys... kinda like another band we all know and love ;)

3 hours ago, default_ said:

I believe a better term to qualify them is "pop rock" or something.

Pop-rock is Bon jovi, Nickleback. Muse are closer to alternative rock because they mix old with new. 

I'm not a Muse fan though, but I've heard a lot of them over the years and it's hard to deny that no 1. they are good at wha they do 2. they certainly can get loud like the best of them.

I'm not saying they can "out-rock" Metallica or any full on hard rock / metal bands, but they do a good job of bridging the gap for people who aren't into the heavy heavy side of music.

• Like 1

Just now, killuridols said:

Do I hear some NIN in Muse too? :question:

dunno... Im always hearing NIN everywhere :facepalm:

I hear it in the way they heavily process the instruments, not so much their songwriting BUT my knowledge of both bands is limited to their singles so I'm no authority :)

4 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I hear it in the way they heavily process the instruments, not so much their songwriting BUT my knowledge of both bands is limited to their singles so I'm no authority :)

hehe, me too, but sometimes the less you know the more you grasp some things that the ones who are detail-oriented do not see because they are much focused on the micro.

They sound similar to Sigur Ros too (well, in my ears :P)

4 hours ago, Order of Nine said:

I just strongly disagree they are rock. I suppose Brian Johnson solidified them as a rock band when he jammed with them.

They just don't have a rock band energy or attack to me.

Listen to this and then come back and tell me that they're not rock

1 hour ago, killuridols said:

hehe, me too, but sometimes the less you know the more you grasp some things that the ones who are detail-oriented do not see because they are much focused on the micro.

They sound similar to Sigur Ros too (well, in my ears :P)

I agree with this.

38 minutes ago, RussTCB said:

Quick question-

Easy Lover by Phil Collins.... Rock or no? 

I figured we're already so far off the reservation, it couldn't hurt to ask. 

Definitely rock, that  main riff! the great punchy verse AND that solo. It's got that typical motown/soul influence that Phil seems to leans towards but it's rawkkk! none the less. yeah! I love that song :D 

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Tom2112 said:

I agree with this.

Definitely rock, that  main riff! the great punchy verse AND that solo. It's got that typical motown/soul influence that Phil seems to leans towards but it's rawkkk! none the less. yeah! I love that song :D 

Side note-

I once watched Bumblefoot play the whole song and sing it at the same time lol. 

• Like 1

Just now, RussTCB said:

Side note-

I once watched Bumblefoot play the whole song and sing it at the same time lol. 

Ha! I'd love to have seen that! next time he does a clinic near me I'm gonna request this. I think he knows every song ever, it's really hard to stump him!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tom2112 said:

Ha! I'd love to have seen that! next time he does a clinic near me I'm gonna request this. I think he knows every song ever, it's really hard to stump him!

I seriously tried to stump him once over the course of about 6 hours and it just couldn't be done lol

1 minute ago, tremolo said:

Why do people make the association that distorted guitars and-or hard-hitting drums are all it takes to define what is rock?

Muse is pop as fuck with some rock-sounding tunes. The Killers are pop as fuck too. Coldplay doesn’t even qualify as music.

Did you listen to a single Muse video we all posted so far? 

34 minutes ago, tremolo said:

Why do people make the association that distorted guitars and-or hard-hitting drums are all it takes to define what is rock?

Muse is pop as fuck with some rock-sounding tunes. The Killers are pop as fuck too. Coldplay doesn’t even qualify as music.

Why? Because you don't like them? They're a hell of a lot more genuine than the landfill of bands who cover their arms in tattoos, put hoops in their ears, wear flat-brimmed caps, scream and shout about how individual they are, whilst doing nothing original or remotely alternative, while EVERYONE else they know and play with sound identical. 

Maybe Muse, Killers and Coldplay aren't your musical taste - but they're all bands with a unique sound and identity that aren't following the crowd. Good luck to them and their fans. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Stress Fracture said:

I think Muse (dubstep) and Coldplay (pop duets with Rihanna) did follow the crowd. Never far away from the dreaded millennial whoop either.

I'd say both are unique bands though - in that there's no one that sounds like either of them really. Both bands have also moved their sound on continuously - which I have to admire. I have no desire to hear Muse's foray into dubstep, or a duet with Rihanna of course! 

I just think it's harsh to run these bands down when there are so many 'rock' bands who are the most boring, dull, unimaginative fuckers you can imagine, claiming not to be, yet offering nothing to the contrary. 

Having tattoos and claiming to be 'hardcore' and  all that crap is now about as 'different' as reading Harry Potter. 

Edited by allwaystired
  • Like 3