DUFF MCKAGAN Says AXL ROSE Has Come Up With 'Some Magnificent Stuff' For New GUNS N' ROSES Album

8 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

I'm sorry, have you not heard him butcher the intro to PC somehow? How tf do you mess up that intro? Why change it? It sounds wrong. 

Have to be honest and say the shows I have heard - didn’t notice anything wrong? Will have a listen but still don’t think all the vitriol is warranted but that’s just my opinion - I know others feel differently!

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

played the song to fast where all you wanted to say was "slow down". 

Frank played the songs in the tempo that he was told to play them. It was the bands decision the play songs faster. You can't blame Frank for it.

10 hours ago, Sydney Fan said:

The dynamics of the band also changed when the drummer of the foo fighters played with them as well, that made them sound to another level.

He played It's So Easy infinitely times faster than it's supposed to be played. Suddenly that's a good thing?

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Lies They Tell said:

Frank played the songs in the tempo that he was told to play them. It was the bands decision the play songs faster. You can't blame Frank for it.

He played It's So Easy infinitely times faster than it's supposed to be played. Suddenly that's a good thing?

His enthusisam and playing i felt made slash and duff well into it. I have always felt frank is just not the right player for guns. The fact is with previous gnr drummers and their style frank needs to play above that level. He has no x factor and theres nothing in his style or playing that stands out. He should just be a session muso or play drums for an upcoming artist or something and be apart of the backing band. Lets see what frank brings to the table for the next guns album. I hope each member has some free reign with their playing.

Edited by Sydney Fan

51 minutes ago, Sydney Fan said:

His enthusisam and playing i felt made slash and duff well into it. I have always felt frank is just not the right player for guns. The fact is with previous gnr drummers and their style frank needs to play above that level. He has no x factor and theres nothing in his style or playing that stands out. He should just be a session muso or play drums for an upcoming artist or something and be apart of the backing band. Lets see what frank brings to the table for the next guns album. I hope each member has some free reign with their playing.

Being a GNR drummer is not a fun job, cause there's gonna be tons of people who dislike your playing no matter how you play. Either you get criticized for playing the songs too differently from the original versions or you'll be criticized for not standing out. If you're a GNR drummer you can't win, unless you're Adler. Even he would probably be criticized, but to a lesser extent. If Taylor Hawkins would be the drummer of GNR he would be totally destroyed by people over here. There's no way people would be ok with the tempo and the drum fills that he'd do. Well some would of course like it, but the haters are always the loudest.

I think I'm gonna love Frank's playing on the next album (I already loved it on CD). Every drummer sounds the best when they get to play their own stuff.

• Thanks 1

On 07. 03. 2019. at 6:55 PM, WhazUp said:

However not personally liking Frank's drunming style =/= Frank not being "able to play the drums".  So I agree, self esteem is a dangerous think, it deludes people into thinking their opinion means more than fact ;)

is there a metric measurment for fact in this case? ie. In music it all comes down to the sound.  The fact is, the songs when Frank plays them sound like - shit.

Everything else, unless you are Frank or his family member, is a delusion. ;)

It does mean a bit more what 90% think, compared to what 10% think when it comes down to opinion. It doesn't take a genious to figure that one out.

Edited by shotsfired cro

3 hours ago, DTJ80 said:

Have to be honest and say the shows I have heard - didn’t notice anything wrong? Will have a listen but still don’t think all the vitriol is warranted but that’s just my opinion - I know others feel differently!

The very beginning of the song he does not do the beat right. After the 8th beat he doesn't do the timing right. He repeats the first 2 groups of 4. It doesn't sound right. Surely I can't be the only one who's noticed? 

1 2 3 4. 1 2 3 4. 1 2 12 1234. Is the 3rd of the 4 groups that he messes up

Edited by Pskihq92
Clarification

7 hours ago, Lies They Tell said:

Being a GNR drummer is not a fun job, cause there's gonna be tons of people who dislike your playing no matter how you play. Either you get criticized for playing the songs too differently from the original versions or you'll be criticized for not standing out. If you're a GNR drummer you can't win, unless you're Adler. Even he would probably be criticized, but to a lesser extent. If Taylor Hawkins would be the drummer of GNR he would be totally destroyed by people over here. There's no way people would be ok with the tempo and the drum fills that he'd do. Well some would of course like it, but the haters are always the loudest.

You  make a good point, it's pretty much impossible to please everyone.  Although... I don't remember seeing one single negative comment about Bryan Mantia (here on this forum) but that could be just a coincidence. Obviously I haven't read everything that has been written about him.:shrugs:

Edited by Fourteenbeers

6 hours ago, shotsfired cro said:

is there a metric measurment for fact in this case? ie. In music it all comes down to the sound.  The fact is, the songs when Frank plays them sound like - shit.

Everything else, unless you are Frank or his family member, is a delusion. ;)

It does mean a bit more what 90% think, compared to what 10% think when it comes down to opinion. It doesn't take a genious to figure that one out.

Well in that case the fact that only 10 percent, maybe much much less percentage wise, of the people who actually go to the shows are actively hating on Frank on the forums or bring it up I'd say your point is true - it doesn't matter and it is delusion to think your view rises above all others and is somehow more valid :)

Your opinion is your opinion and it is valid and all that stuff.  But that is all it is, anything else is just funny Frank hate lol.  It is always funny to me that some people go "I think something sounds like shit so everyone has to agree and it is a fact". And that is coming from me, who isn't a huge hardcore Frank fan anyways. 

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Fourteenbeers said:

You  make a good point, it's pretty much impossible to please everyone.  Although... I don't remember seeing one single negative comment about Bryan Mantia (here on this forum) but that could be just a coincidence. Obviously I haven't read everything that has been written about him.:shrugs:

He was criticized back in the day. But he's been gone for so long that these days only people who liked his drumming style ever really talk about him.

• Like 1

I'm neither here nor there on Frank, he doesn't stand out to me as being particularly good or bad, but he certainly knows what he's doing and does it well enough to earn his place. All the Frank hate is seriously melodramatic.

On 09/03/2019 at 12:25 AM, Pskihq92 said:

I'm sorry, have you not heard him butcher the intro to PC somehow? How tf do you mess up that intro? Why change it? It sounds wrong. 

I don't know what gigs you've been listening to, but the only people who manage to butcher anything on a GN'R stage are Axl and Slash themselves. The rest of the band are pretty fuckin tight.

12 hours ago, Pskihq92 said:

The very beginning of the song he does not do the beat right. After the 8th beat he doesn't do the timing right. He repeats the first 2 groups of 4. It doesn't sound right. Surely I can't be the only one who's noticed? 

1 2 3 4. 1 2 3 4. 1 2 12 1234. Is the 3rd of the 4 groups that he messes up

I dunno, it kinda seems like you're looking too hard for something to complain about, my dude.

6 hours ago, Fourteenbeers said:

That's because Brain is a beast. Easily the best drummer GN'R has had.

Josh Freese is great too, but I haven't heard enough of his work with GN'R to form any real opinion on how he would've fit into the band. If OMG is anything to go by though, he would have been just as great as Brain.

• Like 1

Part of me wants as close recreation of the Appetite/UYI spirit/songs as possible because that’s the magic recipe that made Guns N’ Roses what they are but I also recognize that Izzy, a major part of that era, is highly unlikely to be involved and that times/people have changed. I saw iconic bands come up with some real stinkers after taking long breaks and I saw others re-invent themselves and put out killer records. Hope it’s the latter with GN’R. They certainly got talent to pull it off.

3 hours ago, Azifwekare said:

I dunno, it kinda seems like you're looking too hard for something to complain about, my dude.

But I'm not lol a 6 year old could play the intro right.  He changes it. It's not one show it's every show.  Every recording.  He changes one of the coolest yet most amazing intros ...and I have no idea why.  For the record that is my only hate on for Frank.  Besides that I don't mind him

8 hours ago, Creed said:

thats what i'm talkin about. the CD vibe is very dark, depressive, melancholic. the fans won't like that. And i'm pretty convinced that we've already heard the best from CD.

without matt/steven and izzy it won't be a good album.

I don't think so. Quite a few gnr masterpieces are dark, depressive and melancholic: estranged, coma... Great Songs... 

And of course they are able to create a great album without them. Matt and Steven are replaceable drummers in the studio. The casual fan doesn't even matter about the drummer... As for izzy, I get your point. But, come on. It isn't 87 anymore. The circumstances around the band have changed... Even izzy couldn't bring that vibe back. But that doesn't mean, that they are not able to create a good, solid rockalbum... 

Edited by ZODIAC

8 hours ago, Creed said:

thats what i'm talkin about. the CD vibe is very dark, depressive, melancholic. the fans won't like that. And i'm pretty convinced that we've already heard the best from CD.

without matt/steven and izzy it won't be a good album.

I dunno, I mean to be fair we still don't quite know if it will  be purely Axl CD era songs repurposed or if Slash and Duff will bring in a few ideas as well.  You have 2 people who wrote songs like Slither, etc. in the 21st century, I can easily see a few balls to the wall straight up rockers via Slash being added to the mix too.  As much as I want Izzy to be a part of this too, I feel like there is a potential for a great GNR album with this lineup

9 hours ago, Draguns said:

I just came from watching Captain Marvel. There are references to GNR in the movie. I think a new album will definitely do very well!!

Not seen it yet - what kind of references (I am guessing jokes around a new album being out soon or something - think the film is set in the 90’s)?

1 hour ago, DTJ80 said:

Not seen it yet - what kind of references (I am guessing jokes around a new album being out soon or something - think the film is set in the 90’s)?

No jokes about a new album. It's a pretty cool and respectful way they did it. The movie is set in 1995.

On 09. 03. 2019. at 7:59 PM, WhazUp said:

Well in that case the fact that only 10 percent, maybe much much less percentage wise, of the people who actually go to the shows are actively hating on Frank on the forums or bring it up I'd say your point is true - it doesn't matter and it is delusion to think your view rises above all others and is somehow more valid :)

Your opinion is your opinion and it is valid and all that stuff.  But that is all it is, anything else is just funny Frank hate lol.  It is always funny to me that some people go "I think something sounds like shit so everyone has to agree and it is a fact". And that is coming from me, who isn't a huge hardcore Frank fan anyways. 

Frank man, it is nothing personal.

Also, guess what?  If I state my opinion on the board, it is quiet obvious it is my opinion and not your or the guy next to you.:facepalm:

Quiet honestly, I stated my opinion, as did 99% others here about Frank, so let's take the average and see whose opinion weights more??;)

As you are in the numbers....Please tell me what is the number of registered users here and the total number of concert has beens 2016 - 2018.  Your points make less and and less sense.

We here are hard core fans, 99.8% of the concert has beens doesn't even know this forum exists.  And like 95% says Franks druming is shit so it should not take a genius to figure ou the stand point, unless you are deaf.  Especially as we were there when Matt and Adler were in the band 

• Confused 1

I anticipate that any new GNR album will be a lesser version of the Use Your Illusions.  Not to say that there can't be a few good tunes, but I don't expect it to live up to the original material released from 87-91.  Now, if Izzy was involved, I would have higher expectations because he was a key part of the song writing process.

It could be BETTER than Chinese Democracy however.........

14 hours ago, BadApples87 said:

I anticipate that any new GNR album will be a lesser version of the Use Your Illusions.  Not to say that there can't be a few good tunes, but I don't expect it to live up to the original material released from 87-91.  Now, if Izzy was involved, I would have higher expectations because he was a key part of the song writing process.

It could be BETTER than Chinese Democracy however.........

That is pretty much what I expect and how I feel too but you never know.. Either way I don't see how it couldn't be better than CD...

I obviously would have higher expectations with a different drummer too.. This lineup is just kind of mehhhh... 

2 hours ago, Tom-Ass said:

That is pretty much what I expect and how I feel too but you never know.. Either way I don't see how it couldn't be better than CD...

I obviously would have higher expectations with a different drummer too.. This lineup is just kind of mehhhh... 

Yeah, the drummer is below par.  Could of at least brought Matt Sorum back, since they obviously don't think Adler is dependable.  

• Like 1