Film Thread

ssiscool

Following news that Avatar was setting a first-day sales record, the title has now become the fastest-selling home entertainment release in North American history, with the film selling a combined total of 6.7m DVDs and Blu-rays in just four days.

James Cameron's sci-fi opus, symbolically released on April 22 - Earth Day - sold approximately 4m DVDs and 2.7m Blu-rays, grossing around $130m.

It therefore smashes the Blu-ray record held by The Dark Knight, which took 18 months to sell 2.5m copies (although it should be noted that the platform had much less market penetration at the time).

That's on top of Avatar's $2.7 billion cinematic gross which made it the most successful film in history.

And with the film hitting shelves outside the US today and also receiving a theatrical re-release in the summer, it looks like the title will continue to generate cash throughout 2010.

It's only an OKAY movie, why does it get so much money and attention?

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I went to the Hollywood Premiere of A Nightmare on Elm Street last night. It was AMAZING...and this is coming from a huge fan of the originals. Jackie Earle Haley was absolutely fanatstic. It is different enough from the originals(thugh follows the same story for the most part) but still SO "Freddy" if that makes sense. I didn't expect to like it so much, can't wait to see it a couple more times.

I went to the Hollywood Premiere of A Nightmare on Elm Street last night. It was AMAZING...and this is coming from a huge fan of the originals. Jackie Earle Haley was absolutely fanatstic. It is different enough from the originals(thugh follows the same story for the most part) but still SO "Freddy" if that makes sense. I didn't expect to like it so much, can't wait to see it a couple more times.

Good to hear that since it's not doing so great on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to see it this weekend no matter what, though. Can't wait.

Good to hear that since it's not doing so great on Rotten Tomatoes. I'm going to see it this weekend no matter what, though. Can't wait.

oh, fuck any reviews on horror movies...especially remakes because people want to shoot them down from the get go. I loved it. Check out the popcorn buckets they were giving out...

fg1-1.jpg

Guest Len B'stard

Nowhere Boy - i really liked it but i'm a John Lennon obssessive so there ya go. Not at all accurate but well made and sentimental in all the right ways.

i watched "the boat that rocked" last night, aka "pirate radio" in the US.

reviews were bad and it was a commercial flop but i loved it? i think the biggest criticism was its length and i agree, it was 2:08 and the last 30 minutes or so i was getting really ansy, but the length aside, i loved it. it was fun, funny, and a few different plot lines that i really enjoyed. i felt like it had 3 or 4 climaxes. it seemed a bit schizophrenic at times but worse things have happened.

favorite part had to be the stag scene. gavin really knows how to strut.

Glad to see some love for The Boat That Rocked. I loved that movie. Phillip Seymour Hoffman is fantastic.

I intend to broadcast from this ship 24 hours a day until the day I die. And then for a couple days after that.

Guest Apollo

Kate Winslet was great in Titanic.

I just watched this movie for the first time in years

Even though you already know the ending, its still an interesting movie

One of the hottest women in hollywood - still

Kate Winslet was great in Titanic.

I just watched this movie for the first time in years

Even though you already know the ending, its still an interesting movie

One of the hottest women in hollywood - still

hell yeah

Even though I love the way she looked with red hair around the late nineties, she is still stunning

Iron Man 2 is mostly fun. It's certainly doesn't rank along side Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Spider-man 2, Evil Dead 2 etc in the Sequels Hall of Fame, but it's...fun.

God, only 5 more days I have to wait! Yay!

How's Mickey?

/Edit

Wait, no, I don't want to know! I want to be surprised and stunned by Mickey's presence on the screen, just as always! :)

Edited by Spoon87

Iron Man 2 is mostly fun. It's certainly doesn't rank along side Empire Strikes Back, Aliens, Spider-man 2, Evil Dead 2 etc in the Sequels Hall of Fame, but it's...fun.

Spider-man?!.... :shocked:

I'm suprised there was no mention of Godfather 2 or Terminator 2. or Ghostbusters 2.

I've yet to still see the first Iron Man, it really isn't jumping out at me as a must watch film, although I have it on DVD.

Currently watching Harry Brown, about an hour into it. It's good. Not quite Gran Torino, but almost.

I'm suprised there was no mention of Godfather 2 or Terminator 2. or Ghostbusters 2.

Spiderman #2 is great.

Spiderman #2 is great.

Maybe I need to rewatch, but I wasn't enthralled by it at all.