Film Thread

ssiscool

Scream 4 is about the only decent thing out at the moment.

At the multiplex, more or less. Though Water for Elephants is so intensely old Hollywood and therefore fresh and uncommon (please note I didnt say it was*good*), that it's sort of worth seeing. Genuine film buffs with an art house at their disposal should get out to Bill Cunningham: New York and Meek's Cutoff immediately, they are easily the best films of the year so far, and will probably remain so until fall.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

You Can't Get Away With Murder - Humphrey Bogart plays a small time hood who this local Hells Kitchen kid looks up to even though his honest hardworking sister and her boyfriend tell the kid he's headed for trouble. Anyway one day him and Bogie get screwed for knocking over this store (although the kid was the lookout) and killing the shopkeeper using his sisters boyfriends gun, who gets sent up the road for life on a murder charge while they get away with 1 to 5 for robbing a local gas station...then the kids conscience kicks in, classic Bogart

The Big Shot - Bogart plays a washed up old hood on his third strike who gets roped into knocking over an armoured truck with a bunch of guys, decides not to go on account of an old flame who it turns out is now the wife of the guy who set up the armoured truck robbery who is a big time attourney.

Conflict - Humphrey Bogart plays a guy who fancies his wifes younger sister so he kills her (his wife) but it don't all go as smoothly as he'd hoped.

One Fatal Hour - Bogart works for a radio station who are doing a radio serial about a woman who was exonnerated for the murder of her husband and is now living under a different name with her new husband. However it turns out that her daughter is about to get married to some high society guy and this radio serial going out will blow the lid of the murderer womans secret and fuck up the marriage and a lot of lives besides. Social conscience flick, pretty good performance too from the one of the few Americans that had guts enough to stand up to HUAC.

The Great O Malley - O Malley is this rule crazy over zealous headstrong cop that sort of triggers a chain of events that cause a good man (Bogart) to rob a store. Bogie is sent to jail while O Malley happens upon Bogies family who are struggling to make ends meet while he's doing his 2 to 10 stretch.

Guest Len B'stard

Wuthering Heights - Laurence Olivier...one of the greatest movies i've ever seen and one of the most well photographed. Wasn't Greg Tolland in on Citizen Kane?

Guest Len B'stard

Wasn't Greg Tolland in on Citizen Kane?

If you mean did He photograph it, yes he did.

He called working on Citizen Kane "the most exciting professional adventure of my career."

Thought i recognised it on the credits of Wuthering Heights. Yeah, he photographed WH too. Wasn't there a big thing over like is he more responsible for it than Welles?

Wasn't Greg Tolland in on Citizen Kane?

If you mean did He photograph it, yes he did.

He called working on Citizen Kane "the most exciting professional adventure of my career."

Thought i recognised it on the credits of Wuthering Heights. Yeah, he photographed WH too. Wasn't there a big thing over like is he more responsible for it than Welles?

Not sure if is was a big thing but many including historians believe Citizen Kane's visual brilliance was due to the contributions of Toland, not Welles.

It's a hard one to figure out. I was really into Mise-en-scène and lighting techniques in film for a while and Citizen Kane would come up in all aspects of film because it was innovative and ahead of it's time. If a debate would arise about who was the real visionary behind Citizen Kane Toland fans would usually come out on top because Welles fans maintain that the visual style of Kane is similar to many of Welles' other films, so it should be considered the Welles work. Nevertheless, the Welles movies that most resemble Citizen Kane (The Magnificent Ambersons, The Stranger, Touch of Evil) were shot by Toland's collaborators, Russell Metty and Stanley Cortez.

Before his death Welles acknowledged that "Toland was advising him on camera placement and lighting effects secretly so the young director would not be embarrassed in front of the highly experienced crew".

I'm not taking away from Orson Welles genius but he had a lot of help on Citizen Kane.

Guest Len B'stard
It's a hard one to figure out. I was really into Mise-en-scène and lighting techniques in film for a while

God bless you for saying that cuz i think that is basically the heart and soul of cinema, that IS the movie, 24 frames per seconds and each frame is like a fucking painting, like a piece of art, ALL good directors understand this, you just became one of my forum top 10 people man (or woman, i'm not sure which :lol:). It's worth noting to, as a follow on to your comments about Toland that there's a lot in the visuals of Wuthering Heights that are comparable to Citizen Kane, in many ways, depending on their degree of freedom, the DP is the fucking artist of the piece, the composer, the motherfucker that puts the shit together.

It's a hard one to figure out. I was really into Mise-en-scène and lighting techniques in film for a while

It's worth noting to, as a follow on to your comments about Toland that there's a lot in the visuals of Wuthering Heights that are comparable to Citizen Kane,

Very true. If any budding filmaker wants a crash course in cinematography just stick on Citizen Kane and Wuthering Heights. I love the urban legen that Orson Welles spent a weekend with Gregg Toland and learned everything there is to know about cinematography lol

Nice to find another guy who appreciates the work of the "fastest camerman alive", well when he was alive.

Also, required reading on this topic would be "The making of Citizen Kane" By Robert L. Carringer. A whole chapter is devoted to the cinematography. Great insight into the relationship between Welles and Toland and how they came together.

Not quite sure if it's still in print, I picked mine up at a used bookshop

Guest Len B'stard

It's worth noting to, as a follow on to your comments about Toland that there's a lot in the visuals of Wuthering Heights that are comparable to Citizen Kane,

Very true. If any budding filmaker wants a crash course in cinematography just stick on Citizen Kane and Wuthering Heights. I love the urban legen that Orson Welles spent a weekend with Gregg Toland and learned everything there is to know about cinematography lol

Nice to find another guy who appreciates the work of the "fastest camerman alive", well when he was alive.

Also, required reading on this topic would be "The making of Citizen Kane" By Robert L. Carringer. A whole chapter is devoted to the cinematography. Great insight into the relationship between Welles and Toland and how they came together.

Not quite sure if it's still in print, I picked mine up at a used bookshop

Funnily enough i actually read that at about the same time i first heard of Greg Toland and just chewed through it.

Watching as much of "The American" as I can before going out to dinner.

I've heard negative things but when you see a naked girl and George Clooney with a beard in the first two minutes it can't be that bad.

A friend of mine said it was a stupid movie. But idk.. I also watched bangkok knockout. Bad ass action movie!

A friend of mine said it was a stupid movie.

It is. It was a victim of terrible marketing but the film itself is an overblown attempt to be something intelligent when it really isn't.

Watched The Way Back. Beautiful scenery and cinematography but edited together poorly. Seems to jump through a lot of pivotal scenes and the majority of the characters aren't developed at all. Nice to look at though.

Watching as much of "The American" as I can before going out to dinner.

I've heard negative things but when you see a naked girl and George Clooney with a beard in the first two minutes it can't be that bad.

A friend of mine said it was a stupid movie. But idk.. I also watched bangkok knockout. Bad ass action movie!

I thought it was good, much better than expected. Nice chill out film with some good action.

Sucked he died at the end though. Wanted a happy ending.

Couple of people made me watch Thor last night. The sort of film some of my mates love for some reason.

I thought it was awful. Not even entertaining in a mindless sort of a way. Just dull and pointless.

The previews havent done anything for me.