Film Thread

ssiscool

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Len B'stard

Kid Galahad - Edward G Robinson, Humphrey Bogart...Robinson plays a boxing manager searching for a champ who finds a young good natured kind of dippy rube who wanders into town and turns out to be an amazing boxer who ends up falling in love with his sister, inadvertedly breaking the heart of his moll and rubbing rival promotor and general disreputable badass (Bogart) up the wrong way...amazing movie, a real hidden gem, was remade later as a fun but below par movie with Elvis and Charles Bronson. This is a classic though.

A Man Within - Documentary on William S Burroughs, the definitive one, amazing, chock full of unseen footage and interviews with everyone from Iggy Pop, Genesis P Orrige, Thurston Moore, Lee Ranaldo, Patti Smith, Allen Ginsberg...just tons and tons of cool interviewees...Peter Weller too, tons more though, countless.

Scarface - The original with Paul Muni and George Raft...the original and the best, Paul Muni is of like...the top ten best actors hollywood ever saw. Before there was Brando there was Paul Muni. If you've seen Al Pacinos Scarface you've pretty much seen this only ones set in prohibition and ones set in 80s Miami but it's identical in terms of plot and most characters. One of the best movies and greatest performances (Muni) that i've ever seen.

Saw Hesher last night. It was a really cool film. It's one of those kind of indie/offbeat feeling movies that are kind of a dark but definitely have a humorous side, but I really dug it. Joesph Gordon-Levitt was great as was Natalie Portman for the little time she was in it. The little kid was fantastic, I forget his name though. It's always great to see younger kids who can really act.