Film Thread

ssiscool

X-men: First Class was awesome. To be honest, I had no idea Kevin Bacon was in it until I watched the movie. Everyone did a phenomenal job acting. The story was surprisingly great too. I might go see it again with another group of friends.

Also, a very memorable cameo was in it.

agreed, great movie.

• Replies 13.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anybody seen the documentary "My Flesh and Blood".........it won the Sundance Film Festival director's award and audience award. Not the terrible movie with Meg Ryan, Dennis Quad and Gwen Paltrow (I think that was called flesh and blood).

If you are ever feeling down, or disgusted with all the negativity and evil people in the world....watch this film!!!! It will make you laugh and cry and just feel better about humanity. It will also give you a look - albiet a little sugar coated - about the world of children with disabilities.

Great film, I highly reccomend it.

We watched two movies this weekend.

Memento - awesome, as usual.

And I can't even remember the name of the other one. New video release. Reese Witherspoon, Paul Rudd and Owen Wilson. Predictable, cheesy, and lasts about 30 minutes too long. And what the heck is Jack Nicholson doing in drab like this. He has to be incredibly rich. You'd think he would be a little more selective with his roles.

Super 8 was good, but not great, imo.

It was slow, yet suspenseful and had a nice handful of action. The main actors are kids, but they're pretty damn good at doing what they're doing.

Overall - 7.5

Hopefully going to see X-Men: First Class tomorrow finally since I have free tickets.

So what have I watched recently?...

Battle: LA. I think it wanted to be Top Gun with marines, as in check out how awesome marines are!! It was alright, nothing remarkable.

In The Heat Of The Night, finally! I've been wanting to watch it forever. It's pretty much brilliant.

Exit Through The Gift Shop, documentary about street artists (like graffiti and such), very interesting. Especially interesting toward the end when it shows the explosion into mainstream, reminded me of those Eminem lyrics Now how the fuck did this metamorphosis happen/From standin' on corners and porches just rappin'/To havin' a fortune

The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing. Eye-opening! I never really knew anything about editing, this was extremely cool to watch. Has a bunch of directors and editors in it talking about it (includes some very famous directors: Spielberg, Scorsese, Cameron, Tarantino etc). Can anyone recommend more documentaries like this, about specific parts of movie making?

Flight of the Conchords, HBO comedy series. One of the funniest things I've ever seen. Really deadpan, occasionally Office-like humour; they break into musical moments in the style of The Lonely Island, but much funnier. Absolute must-see!

The Cutting Edge: The Magic of Movie Editing. Eye-opening! I never really knew anything about editing, this was extremely cool to watch. Has a bunch of directors and editors in it talking about it (includes some very famous directors: Spielberg, Scorsese, Cameron, Tarantino etc). Can anyone recommend more documentaries like this, about specific parts of movie making?

There's a wonderful early 90s doc about cinematography called Visions of Light. Aside from the fact that it was rote and naff, shittatstic cinematography was my biggest sore point with Battle: Los Angeles. It's the ugliest looking film, and some of the choices are beyond baffling, especially in the early exposition scenes. <_<

They went for that shaky-camera, weird-lighting, mock-war-news-report theme, but they overdid it. There's that one scene where the younger kid in the squad faces a hostile by himself, you can't really make anything out in that scene.

I think what put me off was the drama (like between the staff-sargeant and that soldier whose brother he had got killed), because, like DOB, I have a hard time telling when films are serious anymore. Sure, when the movie is actually really good it's fine, but when it's cheap drama there's no more discernible limit between intentional drama and intentional parody of drama. All I can picture is Randy Marsh.

Mesrine. no english subtitles but my french is semi terrible. I can imagine what they are saying. first part was pretty good.

:thumbsup:

Thinking about picking up Sin City on blu-ray.

Opinions, anyone? I've never seen it.

Didn't like it after first viewing but started to love it years later. Awesome movie. Could be fucking impressive on Bluray.