There Was A Time

star

Played Chinese Democracy today for the first time in a while.

There Was A Time is pretty good, even if it doesn't sound like Guns N'Roses.

I'm guessing most of the epic guitar work is that of Robin Finck ?

The 'waaa aaar ooo aaaar' at the end really wasn't necessary.

Edited by star

I know this might sound stupid on these boards but along with Cosmonaut by Wolfmother and Learn To Be Still by The Eagles, this is probably my favorite song of all time by any band. First time I heard it I was speechless! Epic song, epic solos, epic vocals! Too bad Axl can't really play it live... It's like nuGnR's Sweet Child O' Mine, should be really good live.

Played Chinese Democracy today for the first time in a while.

There Was A Time is pretty good, even if it doesn't sound like Guns N'Roses.

I'm guessing most of the epic guitar work is that of Robin Finck ?

The 'waaa aaar ooo aaaar' at the end really wasn't necessary.

keep listening to it (the album), it'll grow on you if you don't like it.

the solo in the end is bucket, the rest is finck (i assume)

best song on the album and one of my all time favorites

Edited by henfjel

The second half of twat is unreal. The first is pretty good with some noted blunders. But ya, second half really is one of the best bits of music by gnr. I can't say enough really fincks best, bucketheads best. It is buckethead ya or is it ron? Sounds a lot like bucket to me. Favourite song off cd for me with maddy and irs coming behind it. I remember when the demo leaked, I was all over it. Height of my gnr or at least nu gnr fandom.

its is bucket...

what blunders? :tongue2:

I will not abbreviate There Was a Time because it spells out the word twat.

Anyway that song is freaking epic and you can't be serious about most of the epic guitar work is Robin Finck, that second guitar solo screams Buckethead, easily the best guitar solo on the album. Finck did do the first guitar solo

I'll give you all a rundown of who did what solo on each song. Some have more than one guitarist so I will list them in order

Chinese Democracy - Robin Finck Buckethead

Shackler's Revenge - Ron Thal

Better - Buckethead Robin Finck

Street of Dreams - Robin Finck Buckethead

If the World - Buckethead

There Was a Time - Robin Finck Buckethead

Catcher in the Rye - Ron Thal (the two long ones at least, I think some mini solos were Robin's)

Scraped - Ron Thal Buckethead

Raid N' The Bedouins - Ron Thal Buckethead (this song and the previous both play as one solo so they are hard to tell apart)

Sorry - Buckethead

I.R.S. - Robin Finck Buckethead

This I Love - Robin Finck

Prostitute - Buckethead

I think I got them all.

Oh My God - God knows who the fuck played on this song. Apparently not even Axl knows.

Shorten it by half a minute or so and it'd be perfect, to me it was made to be grander than necessary. Its a simple song, would have easily been a radio success along with CITR

Really don't listen to commercial radio,I'm happy with the song as it is. :)

TWAT is so over rated. IMO It's the worst song on Chinese Democracy

LOL!

Each to their own, I'm not going to question your opinion on a song. I will say that it was the song that got me into playing guitar, yes, it was that influential to me.

I will say that it was the song that got me into playing guitar, yes, it was that influential to me.

Nice! :thumbsup:

What other songs have infuenced you?

That was the main song that got me wanting to play screaming leads, but other guitar based songs that were influential included Stairway to Heaven, Master of Puppets, Meant to Live by Switchfoot, Always by Saliva etc. I would hear the rhythm work on those songs and think "man I would love to be able to play something like that", but no solo compared to There Was a Time, not one.