Nashville, TN @ Bridgestone Arena Dec 4/11

gunsguy

• Replies 434
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but for anyone who was there, did Civil War have the Cool Hand Luke intro?

Yes it did

I've watched that video of Civil War about 10 times already. Jesus, that's fucking awesome. Can't wait until a full video with the intro gets posted.

My only question is: why now? I know we won't find out, but very interesting that Axl waited until now to break out Civil War, and also if he felt there was any significance doing it in Nashville?

I don't know if there's any significance, but my own personal conspiracy theory is that maybe they did it because they haven't played in Nashville since 1988 and felt we deserved it for the long wait and/or also because they stiffed Nashville on the '06-'07 tour when they cancelled the 10/22/06 date and never rescheduled. Even if it has nothing to do with either of those things, Nashville (being Music City and all) has had the good fortune on more than one occasion of special things happening during shows. Last time Metallica was here in 2009, they brought Lemmy on stage as a surprise during the encores and played a couple of Motorhead songs with him.

I hold no hard feelings for the last cancellation and can honestly say now it was worth the wait. Unbelievable.

I was there for the Metallica concert as well. That was a great experience as well

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already, but for anyone who was there, did Civil War have the Cool Hand Luke intro?

Yes it did

Awesome, thanks! Even on the Illusions tour they didn't always use it so it's nice that they did. Hopefully a full video surfaces soon!

Yes it did

Surely, the crowd must have gone mental when they played it?

I couldnt tell you, I was screaming to loud to notice lol. Kidding, they did go nuts...thought I was gonna get crushed against the rail for a minute

We've been doing it this way on GNREvo, numbering the songs and just listing the solos/jams.

http://www.gnrevolut...=215773#p215773

25 songs last night! wow!

The solos count as songs. They are legitimate, full songs. Just without Axl

I honestly agree with that these days. Maybe not a few years back when it usually was just one dude noodling with a guitar after he was introduced (not saying that's bad), but these days pretty much everyone except Axl is in on each others solos.

Best show ever! Just want to say that again, BEST SHOW EVER! Now that we got that out of the way...

I was the second person there at the venue, there was a group of about 6 very cool GNR fans there when I got there. We sat around talked GNR, and made signs. I got to the venue around 11:00am maybe noon, they had been there since 9am. We met Fernando and talked to him, he checked our signs we were making, I was working up a "Play Oh My God" sign which Fernando let us know that there was no chance that would be played because it was too difficult to play that in a three hour set. He told us that if we asked them to play There Was A Time that we would probably get that. So we decided to go for that... That is until sound check when we all heard inside that they were sound checking Civil War. We made a sign that said "Civil War" then underneath it said "What's so civil about war anyways?".

Very cool sign.

The crowd outside turned from about 50, to hundreds or thousands in the matter of just a couple hours. 6pm there were a sea of people outside Bridgestone. Me and the group I met were at the very front, we hooked to each other so no one could cut in front of us. Doors finally opened, and we rushed inside, and got front row center.

I forget what time music started, but the crowd was getting restless. Finally BLS took the stage. It was an alright showing from them, I was bummed they didn't play In This River, but it's whatever. I'm not a big BLS fan, I was there to see Guns, not the 25 minutue endless guitar solo. I was happy when they wrapped up their set.

Finally they finished, the crew took down the BLS set very quickly and got GNR all set up, I was very impressed at the time it took for GNR to take the stage, I was expecting to have another wait on our hands, but GNR took the stage quick.

-Lights out-

Dexter Theme

Chinese Democracy hits, and needless to say there were some very geeked out GNR fans front row center. The show blew the last time I saw them in 06 at Inland Invasion out of the water. I have no voice, and I can't hear well at all. My neck is sore from all the headbanging I did. At times I felt like I was going to collapse, that show kicked my ass.

Highlight of the night was without a doubt Civil War. Words can't explain the energy or atmosphere in the place when they played that song.

The band is amazing. I'll put this line up of GNR against any band in the world proudly.

This was my first time seeing DJ Ashba, and I'm a fan. The guy is awesome. Ron Thal is an amazing guy, he is really friendly and fan interactive, you could tell at times he was in pain, but he still delivered an awesome show. I want to party with Tommy, the guy is a lot of fun on stage. I can't say enough about this entire band. I don't want to ramble on so I'll just say that the show was the best I've ever been to, we got Civil War, and I loved meeting all of the great GNR fans that I waited around in line with and got to share that show with. Thank you GNR!

We met Fernando and talked to him, he checked our signs we were making, I was working up a "Play Oh My God" sign which Fernando let us know that there was no chance that would be played because it was too difficult to play that in a three hour set. He told us that if we asked them to play There Was A Time that we would probably get that. So we decided to go for that... That is until sound check when we all heard inside that they were sound checking Civil War. We made a sign that said "Civil War" then underneath it said "What's so civil about war anyways?".

THANKS MAN!!! Please next show someone made a "TWAT sign"?

Rocketqueen - As right as you are about how with those songs back in the set list how could you comlain , there will ALWAYS be those that complain because it's not exactly what they want to hear. Fuck 'em though, in 2006 we all begged to hear any of those 3 songs again, and there was a really good chance that we had all heard those 3 played live for the last time. So to have them all going strong and performed currently, how could anyone ask for anymore?

Yes it did

Awesome, thanks! Even on the Illusions tour they didn't always use it so it's nice that they did. Hopefully a full video surfaces soon!

I have the whole song in 1080p and will be working on it a bit later after work. Hopefully I can get it posted tonight with luck. I filmed it from one of the suites.

Hey Ultrastar, I was the guy who tried to get you an aftershow pass and failed :P Nice review, and about what I feel. It was a very surreal experience. There was a group of us hardcore fans who took care of another all night, and I'll never forget that. There was one girl who flew in from GERMANY, and one from Columbia. Willie Nelson's brother (drunk!!) even ended up coming up to the line chatting with us, showing his tattoos, even gave me his phone number hahah. So we got super fired up when we could hear soundcheck, and they played 'OMG', which kicked ass, but they played 'Civil War' about 4 times, and we knew they HAD to play it. So after a lot of confusion with the lines, and my nervousness about getting my after show passes (doors opened at 7, Will Call didn't get band passes til after 6), we got in. I've never seen so many people fired up for a show before the doors open. There was this rather large, Amazonian woman behind me who kept shouting absurd things like "Welcome to the Jungle?? It's gonna BE a jungle if they don't open these fuckin' doors!!". I was cracking up. Got in, got front row, finally got to sit for a few before all the other idiots that must've thought "sit down!!" meant "stand up!!". So we get up, about a 90-minute-ish wait for BLS, which I have to say, are NOT the right band for GNR. It was decent, but I constantly had this feeling of us GNR geeks vs. a hugh biker gang. The sound was TERRIBLE and literally about 10 times too high. I could not tell you one word Zakk said. And Zakk is an awesome player, but he did not impress me. Endless noodling, wankery, and pinch harmonics. He played a mid-set solo that seriously bordered on between 10-15 minutes that contained MAYBE 10 different notes total. Total clusterbang. And I like the guy.

So after they were over, there was 30-40 minute layover, which I thought was impressive, I've waited much longer at other shows. Lights go down, Dexter comes up, and 'CD' hit, which I have to say, is the PERFECT opener. There is so much energy in that song. Every song was spot on, and Axl was literally the most open and happy and talkative that he's been in I don't know how long. I know a lot of people say that about the respective show he's at, but this is true. Several times he asked us how we were, thanked us for coming out, talked about TN winning the game yesterday (then he's like "Oh, you don't care? hahaha), talked about the food, which was HILARIOUS ("buscuits and gravy and grilled baloney? Really, Nashville, really?? Ya'll are tryin' to kill a black boy here"), and during KOHD, he kept introducing Richard I don't know how many times until he was like "hell, we're just a group of guys that AREN'T Richard Fortus". And of course there was something in the air about 'Civil War'. We KNEW it was coming, then Axl said "We're gonna try something, we've never done it, this is an old song me and Izzy used to do, and you are gonna be the world's biggest rehearsal audience", and it was breathtaking. Very special, the energy from the audience, the band were sooo happy they nailed it. Not going to go into much detail of the normal staples, they were all played greatly, I just have to say that 'Rosie' is a showstopper. I know it's a cover but damn, it was impressive. 'Riff Raff', didn't care so much for. And Ron owns 'Nightrain'. The encore, the jam that Ron and Rich do before 'Madagascar' is so well done. Probably my favorite jam since the Robin/Bucket solo from RIR3. 'Madagascar' went over REALLY well, and is so much more impactful live. Then we got 'Better' which I was scared to death we wouldn't get with 'Civil War' being played, but it was great, and of course, 'Paradise City' has to be seen to be believed. The confetti and pyro is one of the better moments from any show I've been to.

So then the wait for the after show, got to a section where they were sitting people, there were maybe 10 actual fans, the rest were hipsters and groupies, and industry-types. A guy came up to me with a Confederate flag and offered me $100 bucks to take it back and get it signed, I told his just go get me a shirt, but then his GF magically ended up with a pass. I wasn't gonna take the money anyway, they brought it to try to get 'Civil War' played. So we go to the back, and wait in this green room, shepharded by Jarmo, who is the size of a 5 yr old, we kinda casually talk and mingle, but it was almost 3 am, and everyone was delirious. Frank came in, started talking to a bunch of guys he'd played with in NYC apparently, they chatted for a long time. I was kind of embarassed for members of the band because people were literally asking them who else were in the band with them???? Chris came in next, who was TOTALLY awesome, talked to him and got him to sign my band pic "Mother Goose', he said that was a first, and he was telling me how Bucket came up with that and how funny he was and how he loved him. Talked about his wobbly keyboards and he was like "I drink so much that's the only way I can stand up straight with them". DJ came in, told him he should totally record Mi Amor and give it to Tarrantino for a movie, said he came up with the whole song in about 10 minutes and we talked about 'Civil War' and he said they'd been rehearsing it but just really got it down today and that Axl told them he wanted to do it. He was great, too. There were a few others around, seen Del and Beta, Jarmo, Fernando came in, and out of nowhere all these Brazillian girls were there. Talked to Katarina, the band's photographer, I just asked her what she's gonna do with all the pics she takes, she said "no idea, guns n roses owns them". Dizzy came in, we were cracking up because the girl from Germany was hanging out with us, and she wanted me to use her camera but all of the buttons and menus were in German, he had a laugh. The Ron came in, and was as great as I'd expected. He sat there with a bottle of Jaeger and talked and talked, I told him he needs to bring back the Grinch theme for his solo, talked about guitars and travelling for a bit. Apparently, he's thinking about moving. Hung around a bit more, some of them were leaving to go to a bar or club, and we were dead. Finally got home a little over 6 am.

I will just say that this band is amazing, as great as anyone could hope, and I was seriously pleasantly surprised at the positive fan reaction. I mean, there was this drunk hillbilly behind me in line, and even he was like "Fuck, this new band plays these songs even better than the old band", and hearing repeated comments like that really surprised me. Awesome. I'm elated to have heard 'Civil War', but I will say with the next round of touring, I really do think they will be alright doing less of a "Greatest Hits'-type tour. This crowd, at least, was very open to the new material. It all really blends seamlessly, and it was great actually seeing other people know the words and singing and dancing. My only complaint, and ONLY, is I honestly do believe the band is doing a dis-service to the fans by playing so late. It didn't bother me personally, but it's a very taxing, exhausting event. Like right now, I haven't even eaten anything since 11:30 am yesterday. And there were a lot of people leave. At it's peak, the very top section was blacked off, but I'd say it was between 80-90% full. Most fans were very patient, and it paid off.

Edited by TiedHands