Axl Rose not attending HOF

Tabitha27

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

By Axl Rose not showing up and letting Steven Adler,Slash & Duff show up to accept the award for GNR he admits defeat that Slash,Duff & Steven ARE GNR. Thats what I think, Axl should have gone to just take control of the situation at least.

It goes to show, Axl may own the name, but that don't make him Guns N'Roses

The reality is, when who shows up at the HOF to collect an award for Guns N'Roses, there will be more Guns N'Roses there than there are on the current 2012 tour :D

The reality is, one man, Axl Rose, isn't by himself Guns N'Roses. It takes 5 to be Guns N'Roses. There's nothing Rose can do about that.

Axl's new band is a band that makes a living off past success. They know that too. It's a great promotional platform for all involved.

Axl's new band is a band that makes a living off past success.

If the UYI or AFD lineup reunited Guns N' Roses would STILL be a band that lived off past success, in fact, even more so than with the current linup who actually plays 5-7 CD songs on every concert. ANY lineup of Guns N' Roses, whether it contains old members or new members, would have to play classic songs from GN'R's back catalogue on shows, because the fans would demand it. Guns N' Roses will always live in the shadow of its past. So this is not something you can hold against the current lineup, they HAVE released a new record just a few years back and they DO play songs off it at every show.

What I find interesting is how everyone around here was so excited about the Guns induction back when it was first announced. Go through the initial R&RHOF thread from the beginning and you'll find a vast majority of people excited about Guns being inducted into the R&RHOF. Now Axl has given his stance and most of the people who still visit this board are ecstatic about Axl giving it to the HOF.

Pathetic.

Edited by downzy

By Axl Rose not showing up and letting Steven Adler,Slash & Duff show up to accept the award for GNR he admits defeat that Slash,Duff & Steven ARE GNR. Thats what I think, Axl should have gone to just take control of the situation at least.

The reality is, when who shows up at the HOF to collect an award for Guns N'Roses, there will be more Guns N'Roses there than there are on the current 2012 tour :D

The reality is, one man, Axl Rose, isn't by himself Guns N'Roses. It takes 5 to be Guns N'Roses. There's nothing Rose can do about that.

Axl's new band is a band that makes a living off past success. They know that too. It's a great promotional platform for all involved.

How many times do we all have to keep going in circles about the reunion and who is the real Guns N' Roses?

Axl and Slash gave Guns N' Roses their signature sound, but guitar players are a lot easier to replace than a vocalist. Also everyone claims AFD this and AFD that, but GN'R didn't really blow the fuck up until UYI. AFD hit at the right time and so did UYI. CD is also a pretty damn good album and Better is probably one of there top 10 songs of all time. GN'R has a lot of great music from the AFD days to CD and hopefully we get some more.

Yall remind me of Uncle Rico from Nap Dynamite living in the fucking past! The old lineup is done, GTFOI already!

Edited by crashoride

What I find interesting is how everyone around here was so excited about the Guns induction back when it was first announced. Go through the initial R&RHOF thread from the beginning and you'll find a vast majority of people excited about Guns being inducted into the R&RHOF. Now Axl has given his stance and most of the people who still visit this board are ecstatic about Axl giving it to the HOF.

Pathetic.

This is all good. GN'R being inducted is an honor. Axl snubbing the ceremony is fun. GN'R will still be inducted. No harm done.

That *past success* died in 1992 thanks to the alternative era. People who don't like GnR today don't like them because of that *past success* you are referring too. People who hate GnR today hated them all the way back to AFD.

You would also think that after 12+ years of Chinese Democracy, people who do like GnR would know by now that Slash, Duff, and Izzy are no longer in GnR.

But yet, here we are in 2012 ... GnR continues to kick ass ... selling out arenas and stadiums ... selling 5M+ records of CD ... all this without any record company, manager, and tour promoter support.

GnR in 2012 has had more success than all of the other former members solo careers, including VR.

So, if your theory is correct, that Axl is fronting some *fake* GnR ... then I guess the only explanation for the current GnR's success must be that: Axl Rose > old-GnR

What I was hoping for,beyond hope,was that 5 middle aged men could smile,shake hands,knowing without speaking that they really accomplished something truly amazing,that meant something profound to millions around the world.Something profound enough that people would just uproot the stakes of their lives and follow these guys around the globe.

I was hoping they could be gracious,congenial,mature,wise-with-age,humbled,appreciative and acutely aware of how important it would have been to those fans that initially put them in the position to be afforded this opportunity.

I was hoping for humbled acceptance speeches,and 5 guys on their way....nothing more.

And I was looking forward to (and still am) whomever Slash might jam with.

Some people are bashing this humble idea, of fans wanting to see the band get together on that stage, shake hands, and acknowledge the past. In addition to the obvious tribute of getting inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. But for anyone who's read It's So Easy (and Other Lies), Duff talked about this concept, where the original guys never discussed these things. Never acknowledged the great ride they were on. They was just too much drama and confusion at the time. A lot of that was Axl. It was the drugs. It was the fame. The other guys contributed their fair share.

The point here is that it would mean so much to the fans, in addition to enjoying it themselves, to see those guys enjoy it. It would mean so much to them. Maybe not Izzy. We know Axl doesn't give a fuck.

Beyond all that, not showing up is one thing. We wouldn't have to like it, but we would understand it. But to shit all over it with that nonsense about having his name removed from the equation entirely, is simply not an acceptable response.

For real if they got back together tomorrow do you honestly think the magic would still be there?

Oh come on.

A reunion would be a monster and you know it.

Look,I love the new line up and dig what their doing,and I was one of the few on here giving glowing reviews of Chi-Dem when it came out...but I can't deny the original line up,unlike some of the lollipops on here saying some utterly ridiculous things about the original guys.

Name me ONE GnR show..ever...where the place didn't absolutely erupt when the first notes of Sweet Child rang out.

Or where people weren't going apeshit to Paradise City.

The magic is there...it's inherit.

You can honestly tell me (without looking for a pat on the shoulder back stage at some future gig) that you wouldn't get chills up your spine seeing...let's say...even the '91 line up playing those songs again?

Please..

And I'm not looking for a reunion,and I wasn't hoping for one to emerge from the HOF (actually a new album instead of another fucking summer tour would be nice )...but to claim there would be no magic??

Dude..I just honestly don't believe you mean that.

I just can't picture you at a reunion show with your arms folded against your chest refusing to drink in what was going down.

Look...I kniow you're all about rah rah team Axl,and that's fine.

You're telling me...if Axl was on board,supporting a reunion tour,you wouldn't buy a ticket and it wouldn't blow your mind to see those guys play those songs again?

You honestly don't think the magic that lives within those songs wouldn't move you?

Fuck man..back in March,when I saw Slash in Toronto,he played one of the most blistering versions of Rocket Queen I'd ever heard.

I saw Guns between '91 and '93 6 times in three different countries,and I can tell you..in March 2012 the "magic" was alive and well in a dingy little club,with one original member.

Add Axl,Izzy and Duff and whoever on drums....no magic??

Utter nonsense.

Great post Zint.

What I was hoping for,beyond hope,was that 5 middle aged men could smile,shake hands,knowing without speaking that they really accomplished something truly amazing,that meant something profound to millions around the world.Something profound enough that people would just uproot the stakes of their lives and follow these guys around the globe.

I was hoping they could be gracious,congenial,mature,wise-with-age,humbled,appreciative and acutely aware of how important it would have been to those fans that initially put them in the position to be afforded this opportunity.

I was hoping for humbled acceptance speeches,and 5 guys on their way....nothing more.

And I was looking forward to (and still am) whomever Slash might jam with.

Some people are bashing this humble idea, of fans wanting to see the band get together on that stage, shake hands, and acknowledge the past. In addition to the obvious tribute of getting inducted into the Rock 'n Roll Hall of Fame. But for anyone who's read It's So Easy (and Other Lies), Duff talked about this concept, where the original guys never discussed these things. Never acknowledged the great ride they were on. They was just too much drama and confusion at the time. A lot of that was Axl. It was the drugs. It was the fame. The other guys contributed their fair share.

The point here is that it would mean so much to the fans, in addition to enjoying it themselves, to see those guys enjoy it. It would mean so much to them. Maybe not Izzy. We know Axl doesn't give a fuck.

Beyond all that, not showing up is one thing. We wouldn't have to like it, but we would understand it. But to shit all over it with that nonsense about having his name removed from the equation entirely, is simply not an acceptable response.

This is the point that either I've been horrible at making or others are not willing to understand or accept out of some bizarre loyalty to a man who's shown none to them. I'm very glad the HOF has quickly dismissed Axl's request to have his name removed.

He couldn't just let the fans have their day. He could have just done nothing. Like you said, most wouldn't have liked it, but at the very least we could understand it. He's out there trying to push this new band (while weirdly relying on a set that's mostly composed of music from the old band) and any associations with the past doesn't help his cause. I get that. But he could have said fine, let the fans celebrate what once was for one fucking day. No, it had to be about him.

Edited by downzy

For real if they got back together tomorrow do you honestly think the magic would still be there?

Oh come on.

Look,I love the new line up and dig what their doing,and I was one of the few on here giving glowing reviews of Chi-Dem when it came out...but I can't deny the original line up,unlike some of the lollipops on here saying some utterly ridiculous things about the original guys.

Name me ONE GnR show..ever...where the place didn't absolutely erupt when the first notes of Sweet Child rang out.

You can honestly tell me (without looking for a pat on the shoulder back stage at some future gig) that you wouldn't get chills up your spine seeing...let's say...even the '91 line up playing those songs again?

Please..

And I'm not looking for a reunion,and I wasn't hoping for one to emerge from the HOF (actually a new album instead of another fucking summer tour would be nice )...but to claim there would be no magic??

I just can't picture you at a reunion show with your arms folded against your chest refusing to drink in what was going down.

You're telling me...if Axl was on board,supporting a reunion tour,you wouldn't buy a ticket and it wouldn't blow your mind to see those guys play those songs again?

You honestly don't think the magic that lives within those songs wouldn't move you?

Fuck man..back in March,when I saw Slash in Toronto,he played one of the most blistering versions of Rocket Queen I'd ever heard.

I saw Guns between '91 and '93 6 times in three different countries,and I can tell you..in March 2012 the "magic" was alive and well in a dingy little club,with one original member.

Utter nonsense.

Thank you for this post, one of the most sensible things anyone has said here recently

He couldn't just let the fans have their day. He could have just done nothing. Like you said, most wouldn't have liked it, but at the very least we could understand it. He's out there trying to push this new band (while weirdly relying on a set that's mostly composed of music from the old band) and any associations with the past doesn't help his cause. I get that. But he could have said fine, let the fans celebrate what once was for one fucking day. No, it had to be about him.

Damn truth. Imo, with that letter Axl simply said that he is Guns N' Roses and that nobody but him has control about it. No matter how hard the fans wants it, no matter how hard the former members of the classic line-up wants it when Axl says no it's never gonna happen.

Oh come on.

Please..

Utter nonsense.

You still don't get it.

It doesn't matter how much you want a reunion or how willing Slash and Duff would be to do a reunion.

Speculating about a reunion is pointless. All claims about what will happen if a reunion took place is pointless.

If TODAY, you dragged Axl by chain to do a reunion show with Slash, Duff, and Sorum, that show would SUCK!!!

Even if Axl made-up with Slash, Axl would still have to find the energy to want to front the old band.

If Axl has not made it clear enough for you, let me state it clearly for you: Axl is TOO GOOD for Slash, Duff, and Sorum.

Axl has evolved while the old guys have stayed the same and stale.

That is why your claims are pointless.

You still don't get it.

If TODAY, you dragged Axl by chain to do a reunion show with Slash, Duff, and Sorum, that show would SUCK!!!

Even if Axl made-up with Slash, Axl would still have to find the energy to want to front the old band.

If Axl has not made it clear enough for you, let me state it clearly for you: Axl is TOO GOOD for Slash, Duff, and Sorum.

No, YOU would think it would suck so you are projecting that onto what you feel what would happen, and it is just biased speculation on your part

Same goes for everything else you posted, just biased opinions.

Edited by WhazUp

Oh come on.

Please..

Utter nonsense.

You still don't get it.

It doesn't matter how much you want a reunion or how willing Slash and Duff would be to do a reunion.

Speculating about a reunion is pointless. All claims about what will happen if a reunion took place is pointless.

How did Axl evolved? The old members have released more music than him since the split while Axl is still figuring out how his band can be succesfull again.

You still don't get it.

No, YOU would think it would suck so you are projecting that onto what you feel what would happen, and it is just biased speculation on your part

Same goes for everything else you posted, just biased opinions.

Huh? Oh right, if you chained Axl down and pointed a gun to his head to force him to sing along to Slash, Duff, and Sorum, that show would be fun!!! What was I thinking?! LOL

If you don't follow what I am saying, let me explain it again:

1. it is pointless to speculate about how great a reunion show would be

2. trying to claim how great a reunion show would be does not enhance any argument you are trying to make to attack Axl or GnR

Edited by gnrfan2007

Axl was stuck in a shitty situation. How could he sit there withe old members, and act like everything was great. Steven called his current members hacks etc. I'm sure Axl is pissed at missing the vent too, he has been robbed of a special night, but he could not honestly go to it. Imagine if someone in your life called you a dick, would you then go and sit next to him the week after, i don't think so, you would want to smack him one. It's disappointing i know, but looking at it fairly, how could Axl show up, it would have been a car wreck waiting to happen. Imagine the shit Adler would have come up with after it.

A reunion on thier terms, for sure I would go and see that and be cumming in my jeans, absolutly. The point you are missing is THEY don't want it, therfore if they were to play tomorrow the magic would not be there, they would just be going through the motions for someone or something else, be it fans or the $ or some record exec or whatever. For instance, the last time I saw the band they had this magic about them, the whole show, the new songs, the old songs whatever. In retrospect I loved the show in 2002 and 2006 at the time but it was not there for me at all back then looking back just something I wanted to be good, there was fuck all magic after the opening of Jungle, the band did not gel at all when comparing to todays GN'R. They were just playing the songs, sure the crowd liked it, but to say it compares to even today's GN'R no way, not even close. Having said that the band I saw back in the day was not only tight but there was a stage presence unrivalled anywhere at the time, you could feel the shit pouring off the stage back in the day.

To put simply I fail to see how me having gone backstage has anything to do with my opinion, if that were the case I would claim that you having not been backstage must have a chip on your shoulder, but that would not be accurate now would it? I don't believe it is...

I hate being sucked into a reuniun discussion knowing it will never happen, but I must maintain what I always said being that if they all felt the need to do it and they did it on thier terms not from pressure or $$$ or any outside business bullshit then I would be all for it, I would be first in line at the gate, make no mistake about it. I just don't feel like they should do it because I, or WE want them to.

Some of you like to try to paint an inaccuate picture of me loving everything the new band does because I went backstage, and because of that I must hate the old guys and the old band yadda yadda, it is simply untrue. Do you think I post in the former gunners just because I feel like it at the time? lol, no it is because I enjoy the stuff, I know that is so far fetched to some very small group of people.

So in a slightly less winded points here we go:

I went backstage in 2010 and met many members of the band including Axl, and some hate that that happend, I am sorry everyone could not go, truly.

I went backstage in 2011 and talked to Ron, Beta and a few others. I also gave backstage passes that I had extras of to a couple users of this forum because I wanted to even though I had family members there that wanted to go backstage. I am not sure how that can be twisted but I am sure some will find a way :book:

I like the band today, I like the band of yesterday, I like Slash, I like Duff, I like Izzy, heck I even like Steven! Even Myles who I am still on the fence about I can dig . I am a GN'R fan who prefers to focus on positivity instead of bashing or negative energy, no different than real life, negative shit brings us down, some folk's are drawn to it others get away from it.

Did I think there was any chance of Axl attending HOF? No I didn't, and he sure as hell was not going to play with them, we all knew that yet some made up something and are lashing out because of it.

The point is really fans want them to get back together because the fans want it so bad, not for me the proper reason, neither is money...

I am a GN'R fan, I guess I should get angry at my computer screen and cry myself to sleep because some peoples dreams were shattered by the letter? Remember there was ZERO chance it was happening, ZERO. We all knew it yet acted as though somehow we are denied something that never was at all...

People will always find somethign to bitch about, it is just human nature. Jealousy is another human traight

And now if you have any personal issues with me then please PM me, my inbox is open all the time :thumbsup:

The single best post in the history of the forums. In my opinion.

Axl just can't stand it that other people on the same stage get the same attention (or more) that himself. That's why he now plays with some hired unknown people and became a dictator in first place; he wanted to be the leading person on stage and that's why he can never stand on the same stage as with Slash again, brcause he knows he has to share the attention with Slash.

Axl just can't stand it that other people on the same stage get the same attention (or more) that himself. That's why he now plays with some hired unknown people and became a dictator in first place; he wanted to be the leading person on stage and that's why he can never stand on the same stage as with Slash again, brcause he knows he has to share the attention with Slash.

And then it is logical to let Slash get ALL the attention? Nah, it doesn't make sense. Axl probably decided to not attend because of Slash's presence, but not because he won't share the attention with him, more out of a strong personal antipathy for the man. But there are other reasons as well, both explicitly and implicitly stated by Axl, like disagreement with Matt being inducted, jabs from Steven, Duff and Slash trying to force Axl to play or be the bad guy, and so on. It's a complex thing. We might not agree with every component and Axl's overall decision, but he is being true to himself, it is hugely rock and roll, and Guns N' Roses will still rock Europe soon and hopefully start working on a new record after that.