Physical Graffiti--Best album ever?

Vincent Vega

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It is a tremendous album! Magnificent. Best? I don't know. There's plenty of great ones, each with their own qualities that make them great. And then you've got that Lithium bullshit about how 'best' is not your favorite and objectivity and all that so whatever.

I love it. It's by far my favorite Led Zeppelin album and it's on my desert island list.

Kashmir is one of my favorite songs. And by that I mean top 5 by anyone ever. Ten Years Gone is not far behind. I don't know how to describe them and do them justice. They're pretty much perfect, musically and lyrically.

From Kashmir through to Night Flight (if you're listening on your PC or mp3 player, otherwise you have to change the disk and it's annoying) is the best 6 song sequence I can think of from any album. I love them all, truly and deeply.

Custard Pie has one of my favorite Jimmy Page riffs. I love that tone. Houses of the Holy and Trampled Under Foot are fun and I love the mood and vocals on The Rover. In My Time of Dying is good but often feels a bit overwhelming.

The big flaw for me is the ending. The last four songs are seriously boring and if I listen to the album I'll usually stop after Night Flight.

My favorite Zeppelin album with Led Zeppelin III.

i think the Rover is my favorite song of the album, and one of the best riff ever! In The Light is just fucking brilliant. Down by the seaside is very peacefully, i love it. Some great riffs, like ten years Gone, Kashmir or Custard Pie.

And again, Bonham blows everytime my mind,

I see that "Kashmir" is on the album.

Pretty much automatically takes it out of the running for best album ever.

You had to look to know that Kashmir was on that album?

It is a tremendous album! Magnificent. Best? I don't know. There's plenty of great ones, each with their own qualities that make them great. And then you've got that Lithium bullshit about how 'best' is not your favorite and objectivity and all that so whatever.

I love it. It's by far my favorite Led Zeppelin album and it's on my desert island list.

Kashmir is one of my favorite songs. And by that I mean top 5 by anyone ever. Ten Years Gone is not far behind. I don't know how to describe them and do them justice. They're pretty much perfect, musically and lyrically.

From Kashmir through to Night Flight (if you're listening on your PC or mp3 player, otherwise you have to change the disk and it's annoying) is the best 6 song sequence I can think of from any album. I love them all, truly and deeply.

Custard Pie has one of my favorite Jimmy Page riffs. I love that tone. Houses of the Holy and Trampled Under Foot are fun and I love the mood and vocals on The Rover. In My Time of Dying is good but often feels a bit overwhelming.

The big flaw for me is the ending. The last four songs are seriously boring and if I listen to the album I'll usually stop after Night Flight.

Really?! You don't like Sick Again? I love that song.

It certainly has some of their best songs - In My Time of Dying, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, The Rover, etc.

But as a whole I gotta give it to Led Zeppelin II. It is sort of like AFD to the Illusions - The Illusions had a lot of filler but some of the best GNR tunes, while AFD is the better album overall because it is all killer and no filler.

Edited by WhazUp

It certainly has some of their best songs - In My Time of Dying, Kashmir, Ten Years Gone, The Rover, etc.

But as a whole I gotta give it to Led Zeppelin II. It is sort of like AFD to the Illusions - The Illusions had a lot of filler but some of the best GNR tunes, while AFD is the better album overall because it is all killer and no filler.

led zeppelin II is my favorite as well and the comparison of AFD and the illusion albums is dead on

I see that "Kashmir" is on the album.

Pretty much automatically takes it out of the running for best album ever.

You had to look to know that Kashmir was on that album?

I only own Led Zeppelin II, IV, and How the West Was Won from them, and I'm not a very big fan anyways. Not to mention it's one of the worst songs ever so I've never really cared to check which album it's on. So... yeah.

Definetly the best Led Zeppelin album, but, imo, not the best rock album ever. I prefer Appetite For Destruction, Red, and In the Court of the Crimson King (both King Crimson), some Pink Floyd albums, Pet Sounds (Beach Boys), Elvis is Back!, and maybe some others. But still it's one of the best!

EDIT: I forgot Ziggy Stardust, Abbey Road, Let it Be (Naked version), and Sticky Fingers...

Edited by GHS

the album is a master piece. Zep was my first real love with music and was "surpassed" only by GNR. I have expressed it many times here that seeing Mr. Page live is my musical dream at this point.. akin to seeing Axl and Slash together or Zeppelin together.

Physical Graffiti is the definition of a perfect album, and Im not even sure if it is my favorite Led Zeppelin album. (Not to sound cliched, but that may be IV, I love that record).

And The Rover is one of the most underated songs in rock n roll. Seriously, that is one of Page's best riffs and solos.