Axl Rose on Jimmy Kimmel talk show Discussion Thread

ppruks

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eddie Trunk@EddieTrunk

Hearing from many about @jimmykimmel promoting @axlrose as 1st TV intv in 20 years when he was on @ThatMetalShow last year.

I´m think Eddie is jeaulos.

Agreed, I think so too! I actually tweeted Eddie and corrected him saying it was his first live, not filmed and edited, interview on a major network in 20 years, big difference!

Eddie Trunk@EddieTrunk

Hearing from many about @jimmykimmel promoting @axlrose as 1st TV intv in 20 years when he was on @ThatMetalShow last year.

He is. People are going crazy over this where there was nowheres near the interest in trunks interview, probably because no one watches vh1 classic except for well..old people.

What a great response to that interview from the media. Seems the media has turned TeamAxl, like they have missed a long lost cousin or something. I love it! He deserves it! I have been following the tweets from media on twitter all morning and have not read anything negative, a lot people actually are saying there were pleasantly surprised by his demeanor and humor. The Halloween tree and burgers totally won the country over, who knew that is all it would take!

I think I have read 7-8 newspaper articles on the interview today, and all of them except one has been very positive :)

Just to follow-up on this. A huge amount of positive buzz following the interview. I can't bother to paste in all the articles (they can easily be found using my RSS news aggreator feed thingy, just PM me), but here's one:

Key Points from Axl Rose's Interview on Jimmy Kimmel Live

Posted by Lauren Beck on Thu, Oct 25, 2012 at 2:27 PM

Last night marked the first live TV interview of America's recently dethroned Master of Sleaze and Skeeve in over 20 years. So that's what that special feeling in the air was while walking home from work. Here I thought it was the crisp fall air. To promote Guns N' Roses upcoming 12-night residency at, of course, the Hard Rock in Vegas, we were treated to the deep three-word thought monologues of Axl Rose. It was a good night for America and all that we stand for—corn, burgers, holiday traditions, VHS tapes, sex, drugs and rock 'n' roll—especially when the merits of the democratic voting process were boiled down to "meh." In case you missed it, CliffsNotes version follows:

1. Axl tends to be late to social engagements and those types of things, but he was right on time to the set of Jimmy Kimmel Live. Can you believe it? Axl can't.

2. He hitchhiked to L.A. at the age of 19. It went fairly well.

3. He was once the cool manager at Tower Video on Sunset who hired all his friends and let them drink beer after work. His time there was short-lived. He's since shrugged it off.

4. He and Izzy made a show flyer for one of their first bands called Rose. "There living fast and they'll die young!!! See them now!" it proclaims. Those where the good ol' days of incorrect grammar.

5. Axl is a big fan of Halloween trees and has one in his home, much to the wonder and dismay of small children. Similar to Christmas trees, these (usually faux) conifers are dyed black with orange streamers and Halloween-themed ornaments adorning the branches. Gifts are placed at its trunk.

6. He was a giant ear of corn for Halloween once. It was an inside joke with the guys in GNR, we'll never understand.

7. It's cool if a child is named after him, unless he once knew the child's mom intimately.

8. He had the cornrows during the period of time he dressed up as an ear of corn. Double corn.

9. Sometimes there is business that needs to be attended to during shows—for instance, finding out which song should be played next—which is why Axl had a habit of running backstage in the middle of a song.

10. Axl is pretty much leaning towards Obama, but he'll let the rest of California make the final call.

11. There is a guy named Bumblefoot, who has an interesting beard, in GNR now. He joins the current ranks with DJ Ashba, Richard Fortus on guitar, Tommy Stinson on bass, Frank Ferrer on drums, and Chris Pitman and Dizzy Reed on keys.

12. Just like Santa, he comes bearing gifts, granting the audience and Kimmel crew with gift certificates to Tommy's Burgers, whose truck is parked out front. By this point in the interview, he's suddenly become a very difficult person to hate.

13. You can never wear too many rings on your fingers. Go ahead and just pile 'em on.

Source: http://www.thelmagazine.com/TheMeasure/archives/2012/10/25/key-points-from-axl-roses-interview-on-jimmy-kimmel-live?page=1

Eddie Trunk@EddieTrunk

Agreed, I think so too! I actually tweeted Eddie and corrected him saying it was his first live, not filmed and edited, interview on a major network in 20 years, big difference!

i think Eddie tryed to do a big interview but is clear what he was afraid with a possibility Axl be angry. On the onder hand Jimmy not promisses anything so that interview was 10.000 better than TMS

Axl has been treading all day on yahoo. Over a 10-15 min interview that really didn't reveal anything new for the folks in the forum other than he would vote for Obama, which I disagree with but that is my opinion.

This should show or prove to him what making a few appearances here and there can get a buzz about him and the band going.

Hope he does it more often.

It was also cool that bumble was there.

Politics are a bunch of bullshit first off in America. And he said "leaning towards obama", meaning he's probably not big on either candidate. They're both idiots and terrible politicians but...that's here nor there.

Agreed for the most part. Hopefully this will be the first of more interviews to come. Let's hope Axl feels more comfortable with talk shows, we all know every other talk show is going to try to get him after this.

Axl has been treading all day on yahoo. Over a 10-15 min interview that really didn't reveal anything new for the folks in the forum other than he would vote for Obama, which I disagree with but that is my opinion.

This should show or prove to him what making a few appearances here and there can get a buzz about him and the band going.

Hope he does it more often.

It was also cool that bumble was there.

Politics are a bunch of bullshit first off in America. And he said "leaning towards obama", meaning he's probably not big on either candidate. They're both idiots and terrible politicians but...that's here nor there.

Agreed for the most part. Hopefully this will be the first of more interviews to come. Let's hope Axl feels more comfortable with talk shows, we all know every other talk show is going to try to get him after this.

he was being diplomatic, he didnt want to support either party publicly probably because it is close to the election, and he doesnt want to alienate people who are from either party.

really appreciate the respect he has for Neil Young.

I love "dont let it bring you down " too.

he also remembers the first rehearsal space/

"unfortunately".

wonder if he has one single good memory from"the old lineup".

so good to see Axl on TV!Damn.

I'm sure Axl has great memories with GNR, but there were a lot of hassles that went with the business part of it. Even back in 1992 he was talking about trying to distance himself from how he was during the AFD era.

He prob. has driven around the old spots to see if certain buildings were still there. He's been in LA for 30 years, it's like swinging by the old high school and you're living 3 towns over.

Lafayette's a whole other story, though. Not sure if he did any driving around when he went there.

Eddie brought up Axl wearing the same exact outfit on TMS, maybe it's a lucky shirt.

Eddie Trunk@EddieTrunk

maybe it was said wrong, here Eddie how about Axl Rose's first TV interview on regular cable in over 20 years? That better?

Wasn't it his 1st "live" (it was taped) interview in 20yrs? Which is sad as it is.

Axl did a great job; it could not have gone much better.

As far as the Obama thing is concerned, I agree Axl hesitated a little in answering. Probably did not want to be harshly criticized like he has been for things in the past (ie OIAM). He has always struck me as more of a libertarian type of guy.

Agreed on all counts. You could tell he was choosing his very words cautiously. I have always considered Axl as having libertarian leanings as well- but he may be a bit more liberal/progressive than I thought considering he mentioned that he usually leans "Democratic". All in all though- regardless of his political philosophy- I wouldn't be surprised if he looks at the corruption, artificiality and demagaugery in our unfortunately broken political system and just decides to take a "pass" on the whole thing...

Edited by AXL_N_DIZZY