Rolling Stones Eternal Touring Thread

Zint

Yeah, there was this vibe. It was different from every show I've been to.and even thigh they were just paying an arena with a minimal stage production, it still felt huge.more so than other other arena gig I've been to like bands like aerosmith, van halen, gnr, ac/dc, even the who, etc. felt more like a stadium gig ive seen like paul mccartney and u2 in terms of hype and fanfare

Its hard to describe

That's why a lot of people are comparing this to the '78 tour. That somewhat minimalist aspect.

In regards to the Stones, I think it compliments them quite well.

In '78, when I first saw them. The stage was also just the lips and tongue. Far more crude.. the lips were the cloth cover over the giant stadium P.A. and the tongue was a wooden ramp that jutted out from the main stage.

That was it!

When they started, some balloons were released, but that was the extent of any bomabastic display!

In fact, it was a daylight concert. The light show was giant white spolights to enhance the stage.

So, it was down to the Stones to deliver. And boy did they fuckin deliver!

Keef fresh on smack, and clearly with his fingers jammed into a light socket, the guy was on fire!

Fresh back from drug hell, he was pissed off and ready to roll.

It was Mick, Keef, Charlie,Bill and Woody. Nicky Hopkins on keys and Ian Stewart on piano!

No back up singers, no giant inflatable thingys, none of that.

Just the Stones and the tunes they rammed down our throats.

Some Girls was a massive hit and there was this natural symbiotic connection with the crowd.

That's what I felt at the Saturday gig.

I would look around, and at the furthest seat in the furthest row in the furthest section people were up dancing and just really connecting.

It's the greatest Stones /crowd connection I've experienced since that '78 gig.

If this indeed is the last kick of the can, then as far as the actual shows go, it's all ending on quite the right note.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them again on Thursday, and in fact, if a Fall leg happens and a show comes near me, if I can , I'll go.

And I didn't think I'd be saying that before seeing this tour, but I've been really knocked out by the actual gig experience.

It's really a fuckin blast!

Yeah, there was this vibe. It was different from every show I've been to.and even thigh they were just paying an arena with a minimal stage production, it still felt huge.more so than other other arena gig I've been to like bands like aerosmith, van halen, gnr, ac/dc, even the who, etc. felt more like a stadium gig ive seen like paul mccartney and u2 in terms of hype and fanfare

Its hard to describe

That's why a lot of people are comparing this to the '78 tour. That somewhat minimalist aspect.

In '78, when I first saw them. The stage was also just the lips and tongue. Far more crude.. the lips were the cloth cover over the giant stadium P.A. and the tongue was a wooden ramp that jutted out from the main stage.

That was it!

When they started, some balloons were released, but that was the extent of any bomabastic display!

In fact, it was a daylight concert. The light show was giant white spolights to enhance the stage.

Keef fresh on smack, and clearly with his fingers jammed into a light socket, the guy was on fire!

It was Mick, Keef, Charlie,Bill and Woody. Nicky Hopkins on keys and Ian Stewart on piano!

Some Girls was a massive hit and there was this natural symbiotic connection with the crowd.

I would look around, and at the furthest seat in the furthest row in the furthest section people were up dancing and just really connecting.

If this indeed is the last kick of the can, then as far as the actual shows go, it's all ending on quite the right note.

I'm really looking forward to seeing them again on Thursday, and in fact, if a Fall leg happens and a show comes near me, if I can , I'll go.

And I didn't think I'd be saying that before seeing this tour, but I've been really knocked out by the actual gig experience.

Given my change of plans for Thursday, I'd love for that to happen.

Anyone know if they plan on touring Europe, more specifically the UK? I know they have the Hyde Park shows coming up, but I really wanted to see them in an arena, Hyde Park is fucking massive, something like a 200,000 capacity. If I'm paying crazy money I want to actually SEE them....

Taylor Swift sang on As Tears Go By.

Perfect choice for her I guess.

Wonder what Marianne thought *L* I'm sure she has an opinion about it. They should have her do Sister Morphine. I know Keith would be on board 100 percent, and Mick would be 100 percent against it, but it would prob. be a highlight for the Stones fans if Mick Taylor's playing on it, and her & Mick were trading vocals on it. Surprised the song hasn't been on the voting list, because they've done the song in the 90s.

Edited by dalsh327

Its hard to describe

That was it!

I think it's because both tours were/are about something to prove. I mean, who would've thought rock bands going into their 70s could fill arenas and still maintain a huge following? No one in the Stones saw this coming, it was kind of a joke thinking about that stuff 40-50 years ago, maybe 30 years ago they saw it as a possibility.

I remember at the '78 tour, thinking, "man I wish I'd seen em when they were young!". :lol:

But to answer you, I think the '78 tour was the first one where they realized, all they had to do was book football stadiums, announce ROLLING STONES, insert date here" and bam...full house. Everyone just came in droves. The precedent was set.

I remember at the '78 tour, thinking, "man I wish I'd seen em when they were young!". :lol:

But to answer you, I think the '78 tour was the first one where they realized, all they had to do was book football stadiums, announce ROLLING STONES, insert date here" and bam...full house. Everyone just came in droves. The precedent was set.

No kidding Zint I always wished I was old ebnought ot have seen them on the 69 and 72 tours.....

As far as them realizing they could book full stadiums I think that came to them as far back as 72 as they were charging higher prices then anyone elese and tickets were very difficult to get. I know for the MSG show I saw in 75 I had a hard time getting a ticket.

That was still arena type venues though.

Sold Out Stones shows were always pretty much a given.

The en masse jam packed football stadium aspect came a little later.

There were some one offs that were en masse, but the tours with guaranteed jam packed football arenas with 50,000 or more, at multiple shows, really kicked off with some of the '78 shows.

Damn, lucky zint. Can't you hear me knocking and worried about you

Both were just beautiful!

Seriously, Worried About You is now in my top ten favourite live moments, ever.

It sounded reeeeeeally good! Amazing vibe to it live.

If it comes up in any future fan polls, vote for it!!!

Can't You Hear Me Knocking was fucking sublime! I'm so happy!

Oh and, we got about 20 seconds of Mick and Charlie doing COME ON! :lol:

It was funny as hell!

Killer fucking show!

Awesome that you guys got CYHMK, very jealous! Still, can't complain about seeing a GN'R gig that was so small there wasn't a barrier at the stage instead.

Hopefully the rumored fall leg happens, would love to see them just one more time.

I was in the upper bowl for this one, and I'll to you, there was a fucking party going on in my section.

Beer was swilling, joints were getting sparked all over the place, and passed around. :lol:

I got "the nudge" a few times.

People were smoking.

Beer in one hand, a smoke in the other, dancing away.

Just a really cool atmosphere.

And security let it ride.

It was so much fun up there, in fact, one of the best audience experiences I've had in a long time...it was so loose!

It was interesting seeing the full presentation from up there, the lips and stage have a full look to them from that angle.

During the last song, Satisfaction, I had chills, fully aware that maybe, just maybe, this might be the last time the Rolling Stones grace a Toronto stage.

You couldn't help think about it.

Just in case, I smiled, said a thank you, and waved good-bye. :)