Have you ever seen a cover band?

sweetness

Not like a local band of a bunch of dudes who just get together to play various classic rock covers, but a band where they're dressing up and pretending to be a specific popular band?

Appetite for Destruction, a GNR cover band is playing at a club not far from my house in a few weeks and I'm kind of on the fence about going... on one hand I love GNR, on the other hand I fucking hate things that aren't real :lol:. That said I'm sure I would still enjoy myself since I love the music so much and that's what I'd be going to see, but I dunno it still seems weird to me. Is it worth it to pay 15 bucks to see some guys dressed up as one of your favorite bands play some of your favorite songs?

Edited by sweetness

Yes, a couple of months ago I saw Letz Zep. I usually don't like this kind of bands very much but I was amazed. They are brilliant and it was a pleasure to hear those songs live played by a very decent band. I would recommend it to anyone who loves Led Zeppelin.

I've seen a KISS tribute band in full costume called Hotter than Hell. They we're pretty good, even had some pyro.

Also seen a Black Sabbath tribute called Sabra Cadabra. Kicked some ass. Their singer was spot on. Sounded just like Ozzy.

I've seen tons of cover bands, but tribute bands take it to the next level (presentation).

I've seen some really good Kiss, Alice Cooper ones and an excellent Beatles one.

This GnR one you're talking about played around here and a few people I know went.

If you take it with a grain of salt, have a few beers and just roll with it...and most importantly appreciate their efforts, it can be a fun night out.

And, apparantly when thia band you're thinking of seeing is on stage and the tunes are cranked, they are supposedly really good.

I saw Guns N' Roses a couple weeks ago. :S

Seriously I've seen stacks. There's plenty around so if you can find a really good one you can always go check them out for a good night out. Just don't be one of those weirdos that actually becomes a fan of said cover band and wear the actual band's t shirt to their gig :lol:

Yea, we used to have a local Maiden cover band. In a funny turn of events, I went to check them out because one of my buddies was one of the guitarists in it. They were "opening" for Joey Belladonna, pre-Anthrax reunion (In reality, Joey opened for them since they were the hometown band). That led to me checking out Anthrax, and long story short, Anthrax is now my second favorite band, and I'm good friends with Joey :)

Not saying something like that will happen, that was a pretty circumstantial turn of events :lol: But cover bands can be a lot of fun ;)

I've also seen various other "big name" Maiden tribute bands, usually playing pre-partys or after-partys at Maiden gigs. Always a lot of fun to just have some beers and a good night with friends - the best I've ever seen was a band called Hi-On Maiden after the Cardiff gig in 2011 - their big thing is they love playing Maiden songs that Maiden either has never done, or hasn't done in a long time, so that combined with good friends and lots of drinks made for a hell of a night.

Yea, we used to have a local Maiden cover band. In a funny turn of events, I went to check them out because one of my buddies was one of the guitarists in it. They were "opening" for Joey Belladonna, pre-Anthrax reunion (In reality, Joey opened for them since they were the hometown band). That led to me checking out Anthrax, and long story short, Anthrax is now my second favorite band, and I'm good friends with Joey :)

Not saying something like that will happen, that was a pretty circumstantial turn of events :lol: But cover bands can be a lot of fun ;)

I've also seen various other "big name" Maiden tribute bands, usually playing pre-partys or after-partys at Maiden gigs. Always a lot of fun to just have some beers and a good night with friends - the best I've ever seen was a band called Hi-On Maiden after the Cardiff gig in 2011 - their big thing is they love playing Maiden songs that Maiden either has never done, or hasn't done in a long time, so that combined with good friends and lots of drinks made for a hell of a night.

You know Joey Belladonna?

Yes! See him with his side project every couple weeks when Anthrax isn't on tour - he lives about an hour away from me and just plays small local bars.

Yes! See him with his side project every couple weeks when Anthrax isn't on tour - he lives about an hour away from me and just plays small local bars.

Can you get me tickets to their Minneapolis show in a couple weeks? I can't quite afford it :tongue2:

Can you get me tickets to their Minneapolis show in a couple weeks? I can't quite afford it :tongue2:

Nope, sorry :tongue2: Hell, I'm not even getting any special treatment for the NY shows, and I'm driving down with Joey's wife for crying out loud :lol:

If it's the same Appetite for Destruction that I've seen a few times, it's a great show and they sound really good. If you're up close, the Axl seems to have an unusually large head, but other than that, they look and sound pretty close. And of course, all the tunes they play are great.

The best tribute band I've ever seen is Satisfaction, which is a Rolling Stones tribute band. They were incredible. They sounded better than the Stones, and they did all the moves and everything. It was a free show on the riverfront with a crowd large enough to make it a lot of fun (probably 4-5,000) who demanded three encores. I was very impressed. Since I'm not paying $500+ for Stones tickets, I'll have to be content with seeing Satisfaction, and I am.

Not like a local band of a bunch of dudes who just get together to play various classic rock covers, but a band where they're dressing up and pretending to be a specific popular band?

Appetite for Destruction, a GNR cover band is playing at a club not far from my house in a few weeks and I'm kind of on the fence about going... on one hand I love GNR, on the other hand I fucking hate things that aren't real :lol:. That said I'm sure I would still enjoy myself since I love the music so much and that's what I'd be going to see, but I dunno it still seems weird to me. Is it worth it to pay 15 bucks to see some guys dressed up as one of your favorite bands play some of your favorite songs?

Dude! At the loft? I may go to that, it's a fun venue

And I've seem jason bonhams led zeppelin experience but i guess that's a different thing. Awesome show though

They have somewhat of a festival here in Dallas called Jack's Throwback with bands like Guns For Roses, Fan Halen and Back in Black.

I saw mini-KISS at a football game a few years ago. They sucked.

Jack's Throwback 2013 Lineup

Back in Black -- AC/DC Tribute

Hysteria -- Def Leppard tribute

Stangelove -- Depeche Mode Tribute

The Ultimate Stones - The Ultimate Rolling Stones Tribute Show

Led Zepplica - The Led Zeppelin Experience

INXSive - A Tribute to INXS

The Joshua Tree - Premier U2 Music Tribute

Candy-O -- The Ultimate Tribute to The Cars

Really Idol - Tribute to Billy Idol

Blonde Day - Tribute to Blondie

Red Not Chili Peppers -- Red Hot Chili Peppers Tribute Band