Eddie Trunk On Axl Rose's Interview Controversy

Subtle Signs

The GNR camp was obviously responsible for the clusterfuck. In all likelihood everybody walks on egg shells around Axl and nobody probably had the balls to just flat out tell him, "Hey, you gotta do an interview after the show" (Yes, I'm aware that's probably much easier said than done). But I don't believe for a second that Axl knew absolutely nothing about the interview until after he got offstage at 3 a.m. If that was the first he heard of it, chances are he would've just blown it off. I'm sure he knew something about it but nobody gave him the full details until after the show.

But as far as Eddie Trunk goes...yes, we know you guys were dead tired, but you're telling me you didn't have a set list of questions to ask Axl ahead of time that you could've read off a piece of paper? I don't buy the entire excuse of "I was so tired and delusional I could barely make it through the interview." People pull all-nighters all the time and if you had an interview as big as this (which he said several times how big this interview was) you would be up and alert for it. The questions were obviously predetermined because everything asked put a positive spin on GNR in the end. It's clear they didn't want to ask any genuinely tough questions because if Axl got pissed off, well there goes any chance they ever have at getting another interview with him.

Didnt Beta talk to Eddie while Axl was onstage, and pretty much said she would make sure Axl would do the interview?

Im pretty sure TMS went down there with no guarantee of getting Axl on camera

Yes. That was the story that Jim Florentine told on the air a few days before the interview aired. Basically, they went down without any guarantee if an interview happening and the entire day they were there people just kept giving them the whole runaround of Axl's at his hotel, taking a shower and then coming right over, etc. But Beta apparently told them during the show that she'd make sure he did the interview. I'm pretty sure she was managing the band at the time, but who the hell really knows.

The GNR camp was obviously responsible for the clusterfuck. In all likelihood everybody walks on egg shells around Axl and nobody probably had the balls to just flat out tell him, "Hey, you gotta do an interview after the show" (Yes, I'm aware that's probably much easier said than done). But I don't believe for a second that Axl knew absolutely nothing about the interview until after he got offstage at 3 a.m. If that was the first he heard of it, chances are he would've just blown it off. I'm sure he knew something about it but nobody gave him the full details until after the show.

But as far as Eddie Trunk goes...yes, we know you guys were dead tired, but you're telling me you didn't have a set list of questions to ask Axl ahead of time that you could've read off a piece of paper? I don't buy the entire excuse of "I was so tired and delusional I could barely make it through the interview." People pull all-nighters all the time and if you had an interview as big as this (which he said several times how big this interview was) you would be up and alert for it. The questions were obviously predetermined because everything asked put a positive spin on GNR in the end. It's clear they didn't want to ask any genuinely tough questions because if Axl got pissed off, well there goes any chance they ever have at getting another interview with him.

Yeah but if they admit they can only do the softball questions, they look like asses so just put out an excuse and people will hopefully buy it.

Guest Gunns

If Axl was in his top 5 people to interview, and they flew over for a 'chance' to interview him, you think, regardless of the lack of sleep and waiting for so long, they would of had some decent questions already lined up for someone in your top 5 people...

Yeah I get that he didnt want to risk pissing Axl off, but the chance you actually GET to interview him, shouldnt you ask him some hard hitting quetsions and ask right then and there for fear that you may never get the chance to interview him again anyway?

Edited by Gunns

Worst interview in the history of man kind. 1 hour of nothing but a grown man kissing another grown mans ass. Absolutely throw away interview.

You did get to hear Axl's 5 minute answer to the late start times which went all over the place.

If Axl was in his top 5 people to interview, and they flew over for a 'chance' to interview him, you think, regardless of the lack of sleep and waiting for so long, they would of had some decent questions already lined up for someone in your top 5 people...

Yeah I get that he didnt want to risk pissing Axl off, but the chance you actually GET to interview him, shouldnt you ask him some hard hitting quetsions and ask right then and there for fear that you may never get the chance to interview him again anyway?

Because he has a good chance of interviewing Axl again, prob. better than anyone else, it's not a "hard hitting" question show, the show is mostly about artists from the 80s and 90s in metal that talk about their past, present, and future. They based the format around "Best Damn Sports Show", not Jim Rome *L*. Axl could've just gone "I don't want to be associated with anything to do with VH1", based on what Sebastian told Adam Carolla.

I think he'll call into the Stern show at some point, but who knows when that'll be. Opie and Anthony Jim Norton would prob. get the interview instead.

Edited by dalsh327

Just watched the Kimmel interview again and while nothing shocking was revealed I thought it was a good n' fun time for everyone involved, including the audience. Hopefully we see more of it if another album is released.

He didn't mean he hadn't prepared in terms of questions. What Trunk meant was that he didn't have the focus or energy to press Axl further when certain opportunities arose.

• 1 year later...

I can't stand Eddie Trunk. He talked the Rock and roll hall of fame on Jericho's podcast earlier this year, and he wouldn't shut the hell up. Jericho would try and get some questions in, but eddie just kept going and going and steamrolling everything.

Now eddies got a podcast. I remember listening to the one with ace frehley, and I thought, "I should have taken a shot of bourbon every time eddie says 'just one more question about kiss before we move on to some other topics'". I find the guy annoying, and once in a while on his podcast he turns out a good interview with someone I care about.

• Like 1

I remember Jim Florentine said Axl was a good guy and i really thought he would hate Axl.

Florentine should have put a Crank Yankers DVD on the table just to see if Axl would say something about it.

Rush and KISS are in the Rock Hall, Deep Purple have been in the running, but he's right in saying metal never gets the accolades and respect other bands would. I kind of understand how the whole thing goes but it's just a bunch of guys that spend one day going over some names and put a short list out to the voters, who then narrow it down.I think the "commercial" bands do get pushed onto the list, Green Day is one of the most derivative rock bands of all time, they're a mix of Kinks, Cheap Trick, early Who and Clash fused in a trio. Mountain with Leslie West still not in even though a ton of guitarists bring him and Ronnie Montrose up. I knew Stevie Ray Vaughan was going to be in at some point.

Chicago's still not in but the Terry Kath documentary might change that.

I can't stand Eddie Trunk. He talked the Rock and roll hall of fame on Jericho's podcast earlier this year, and he wouldn't shut the hell up. Jericho would try and get some questions in, but eddie just kept going and going and steamrolling everything.

Now eddies got a podcast. I remember listening to the one with ace frehley, and I thought, "I should have taken a shot of bourbon every time eddie says 'just one more question about kiss before we move on to some other topics'". I find the guy annoying, and once in a while on his podcast he turns out a good interview with someone I care about.

I think Trunk is annoying as hell as well.

Maybe Axl will go on Comedy Metal Midgets to talking about CD II.

Too low key and predictable. Make it a wedding or something.

And btw: what people in the industry don't understand, is that the best place to interview Axl anyway is at a bar. So obvious it's gotta be in a bar and get some strippers if you want CD ll information soon. Make it a strip club. He needs to feel welcomed and chatty and seriously look into it.

I see it as like a scene from The Sopranos. But one of the funny ones with like a death scene in the end but one of the funny ones with DJ Ashba getting hacked by zombies and Buckethead while he's in full halloween swag and teen whore make up and Tommy is bullying drunk in the back. Pitman is naked.

Edited by Rovim

Axl could walk into any LA radio station and be guest DJ at any time, call KCRW, KROQ or whatever he tunes into, to call and say he's coming to the station because it's down the road from him. Carolla, Maron, and Rogan all do their shows close to home or in their home. Bernie Taupin's even got his own satellite radio show.

Axl could walk into any LA radio station and be guest DJ at any time, call KCRW, KROQ or whatever he tunes into, to call and say he's coming to the station because it's down the road from him. Carolla, Maron, and Rogan all do their shows close to home or in their home. Bernie Taupin's even got his own satellite radio show.

So what are you saying? that Axl has the ability to just do it and shut up? but what about a crazy plan? surely at least a 3 hour meeting to sort shit out. There are 15284,235235,45346,45747 radio stations in the world.

Edited by Rovim

Axl talked about calling radio stations before, but to request songs and not do interviews. I think he talked about it in the LA Times interview a few years ago.

Joni Mitchell felt like going to the radio station at midnight and got on air. Instead of playing these games of trying to get him to do an interview and she's way more reclusive.

Dave Navarro's got a weekly show and they could get into all sorts of shit to talk about, you also have Steve Jones who has a radio show and some history with GNR.