Best Guns N' Roses concert by year and tour?

ManetsBR

No question, it was 2013 for me. I've never seen the band so tight and Axl was completely on top of his game.

I still drool over the live boots and youtube footage. It's going to be hard to top what they've already achieved last year, but I believe that Axl has a plan to do just that.

Axl was on top of this game in 2013? really?

Yes. Really. I'm assuming since you have to ask you either didn't seem them perform live or catch any of their shows on youtube? The hair literally stood up on the back of my neck when I heard the band perform This I Love live in San Antonio. It was pure magic.

Hey Plonker. Where you been?

Hi. I've been around. Just got tired of spending all my free time around a group of individuals that are upset that 1990 is over.

No question, it was 2013 for me. I've never seen the band so tight and Axl was completely on top of his game.

I still drool over the live boots and youtube footage. It's going to be hard to top what they've already achieved last year, but I believe that Axl has a plan to do just that.

Axl was on top of this game in 2013? really?

Yes. Really. I'm assuming since you have to ask you either didn't seem them perform live or catch any of their shows on youtube? The hair literally stood up on the back of my neck when I heard the band perform This I Love live in San Antonio. It was pure magic.

Hey Plonker. Where you been?

Hi. I've been around. Just got tired of spending all my free time around a group of individuals that are upset that 1990 is over.

Never saw them live in 2013 but watched a number of youtube videos and Axl was far from being on top of his game mate as he struggled many nights with his vocals so not sure what you were watching............now if you had said 2009 or 2010 you would have had an argument but 2013 not so much..........

Edited by classicrawker

Never saw them live in 2013 but watched a number of youtube videos and Axl was far from being on top of his game mate as he struggled many nights with his vocals so not sure what you were watching............now if you had said 2009 or 2010 you would have had an argument but 2013 not so much..........

Or maybe your anger that results from Axl not doing what you want him to do clouds your perception of reality? I took a handful of my mates to the show that I saw, some of which knew nothing about the band aside from SCOM and Jungle, and they left the show bigger fans of today's lineup than the guys who recorded those songs that they once claimed to love. Sorry, again. I know it's not something a Slash fan wants to hear, but nonetheless, additional proof that the magic has always been the Axl factor.

Edited by pIonker88

Or maybe your anger that results from Axl not doing what you want him to do clouds your perception of reality? I took a handful of my mates to the show that I saw, some of which knew nothing about the band aside from SCOM and Jungle, and they left the show bigger fans of today's lineup than the guys who recorded those songs that they once claimed to love. Sorry, again. I know it's not something a Slash fan wants to hear, but nonetheless, additional proof that the magic has always been the Axl factor.

Considering even loyal Axl and NuGuns fans on this forum have criticized his 2013 performances I would say you are in the minority with that opinion mate but don't let me piss in your cornflakes if it makes you happy believe.............. :lol:

1988 Nakano Sun Plaza, Tokyo, Japan / The Ritz, New York, NY / Entertainment Centre, Melbourne, Australia
1991 The Ritz, New York, NY / Maracana Stadium, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (aka Rock in Rio II) / Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

1992 Rosemont Horizon, Rosemont, IL / Tokyo Dome, Tokyo, Japan / Estadio Nacional, Santiago, Chile / Hippodrome de Vincennes, Paris, France

1993 Olympiastadion, Munich, Germany / Palais Onmisports de Bercy, Paris, France / Estadio River Plate, Buenos Aires, Argentina

2001 House of Blues, Las Vegas, NV / Rock City, Barra da Tijuca, Rio de Janeiro, Brazil (aka Rock in Rio III)

2002 Pepsi Arena, Albany, NY / FleetCenter, Boston, MA / Madison Square Garden, New York, NY

2006 Download Festival, Donington Park, Donington, England / Rock Am Ring, Nürburgring, Eifel, Germany

2007 Intex Osaka, Osaka, Japan

2009 Kyocera Dome, Osaka, Japan

2010 La Explanada Sur del Estadio Monumental, Lima, Peru / Roberto Clemente Coliseum, San Juan, Puerto Rico / Gelredome, Arnhem, Netherlands / Ice Palace, St. Petersburg, Russia / O2 Arena, London, England / The O2, Dublin, Ireland

2011 All awful

2012 All awful
2013 All awful

Curious as to why you picked RIR for '91, Nosaj. I keep trying to get into it but Axl's constant flubbing of the lyrics really takes me out of it.

Which was the first 2007 show with Don't Cry, was it Osaka? I swear I saw a video where Axl came on and kind of turned away again while singing it, not been able to find it in ages.

Will check out the Rosemont show for '92, but baffled as to why you picked Tokyo, those gigs are just so... lifeless. Much prefer Tokyo '09 to Tokyo '92, Axl's intro/first verse to Nightrain from Tokyo '09 is one of his best vocal performances ever:

Curious as to why you picked RIR for '91, Nosaj. I keep trying to get into it but Axl's constant flubbing of the lyrics really takes me out of it.

Forgot to reply. For me a "best Gn'R concert" not only depends on Axl's voice or the band's sound. I picked RIR '91 because the band had a new drummer, embarked in a new worldwide tour, were debuting tons of new songs. Although what you say about Axl forgetting lyrics is true, the rest of the band sounded awesome, particularly Slash's guitar. Goddamn, that Les Paul was a beast (check out Mr. Brownstone from the second night).

Will check out the Rosemont show for '92, but baffled as to why you picked Tokyo, those gigs are just so... lifeless.

They played three nights in Tokyo, as you may know, but decided to release the lamest one in lolDVD. I simply love the other two. Coma and Locomotive were performed, and believe me, that was the best performance of Locomotive I have heard. Insane outro.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tGf2qmTbV5Q

Saw them live in 1987 at the Ritz and L"Amour in Brooklyn and while both were excellent shows the Ritz was better.........and much better than the 1988 MTV Ritz show IMHO.......although the 1987 Perkins Palace and Marquee shows are excellent from the boots I have heard...........

• 1 month later...

best one on youtube is 1993 hartford

move to the city, the garden, so fine, dead horse - amazing set list and axl + band are perfect and appear in complete good spirits

I'm not crazy about the early shows of the Skin N Bones tour.

The later ones though, in Europe in June and July are absolutely fucking incredible. Axl is like a hurricane. Nice Boys in Karlsruhe might be his best performance ever.

1986 - 07.11 in Hollywood

1987 - 12.30 in Pasedena

1988 - 12.07 in Japan

1989 - 10.22 in Los Angeles

1991 - 12.13 in New York City

1992 - 04.09 in Chicago

1993 - 07.16 in Buenos Aires

2001 - 01.15 in Rio de Janiero

2002 - 12.02 in Boston

2006 - 06.02 in Eifel

2007 - 07.21 in Osaka

2009 - 12.19 in Tokyo

2010 onwards, nothing to laud

In 2002 I went to five concerts. Boston was good, but I personally preferred the show in New York between the two. Earlier start time, less time between songs, more energy in the building. The show felt like a true comeback for Axl. I suppose "The Blues" was better performed in Boston, but other than that one song, the band seemed more alive in New York. Detroit was terrible, Toronto was okay, but my favourite on a personal level was London, Ontario since I scored front row-centre tickets (back before the floor was GA). Was super cool to have Axl spot me out singing along to one of the new songs and give me a look like, "how do you know this song?"

Of the five concerts I attended in 2006 (Hammerstein, Paris, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City), Quebec City was my favourite. Raucus crowd, great setlist, Axl was on fire. I think the atmosphere of the audience often determines the quality of the performance. Just on that alone Quebec City was the best. Plus I got to hear "Down on the Farm," a song I never thought I'd get to hear Axl sing live.

Went to three shows in 2010: Hamilton, London, Toronto. Toronto was definitely the standout. Axl was the best vocally I had ever heard him live. Great setlist (one of the few dates of that tour that they performed Catcher in the Rye), audience was better than a typical Toronto crowd, and hey, didn't hurt that I was with a coked out stripper for the show ;)

Only went to one concert in 2011, which was Hamilton. Band was on par with 2010, finally got to hear Estranged performed live, which was awesome, but Axl's vocals had taken a hit since they halcyon days of 2010.

In 2002 I went to five concerts. Boston was good, but I personally preferred the show in New York between the two. Earlier start time, less time between songs, more energy in the building. The show felt like a true comeback for Axl. I suppose "The Blues" was better performed in Boston, but other than that one song, the band seemed more alive in New York. Detroit was terrible, Toronto was okay, but my favourite on a personal level was London, Ontario since I scored front row-centre tickets (back before the floor was GA). Was super cool to have Axl spot me out singing along to one of the new songs and give me a look like, "how do you know this song?"

Of the five concerts I attended in 2006 (Hammerstein, Paris, Toronto, Ottawa, Quebec City), Quebec City was my favourite. Raucus crowd, great setlist, Axl was on fire. I think the atmosphere of the audience often determines the quality of the performance. Just on that alone Quebec City was the best. Plus I got to hear "Down on the Farm," a song I never thought I'd get to hear Axl sing live.

Went to three shows in 2010: Hamilton, London, Toronto. Toronto was definitely the standout. Axl was the best vocally I had ever heard him live. Great setlist (one of the few dates of that tour that they performed Catcher in the Rye), audience was better than a typical Toronto crowd, and hey, didn't hurt that I was with a coked out stripper for the show ;)

Only went to one concert in 2011, which was Hamilton. Band was on par with 2010, finally got to hear Estranged performed live, which was awesome, but Axl's vocals had taken a hit since they halcyon days of 2010.

I was at 3 of the same shows (Toronto 2002+2010 and Hamilton 2011) but couldn't make it to 2006. Why didn't you attend in 2013 (i missed that one as well but I'm not upset over it)?

Are you going to Vegas this year?

Edited by Coma16

I was at 2 of the same shows (Toronto 2002+2010 and Hamilton 2011) but couldn't make it to 2006. Why didn't you attend in 2013 (i missed that one as well but I'm not upset over it)?

Are you going to Vegas this year?

I'm kind of done with this band until they decide to offer something new.

Having seen, what is essentially the same show, 14 times, I didn't need to spend $150 to see GNR at the Sound Academy last year (my band from a few years ago played there; terrible acoustics). Had already seen them play a small venue at the Hammerstein in '06.

I heard it was a good show, but for me, not worth $150. I definitely won't be going to Vegas to see GNR, though Vegas is on my bucket list of places to go.

If GNR puts out a different set (or a new album), or the old band reforms, you can expect me to see multiple shows. But I've had enough of the nostalgia cash grab that's been going on for three years now.

best one on youtube is 1993 hartford

move to the city, the garden, so fine, dead horse - amazing set list and axl + band are perfect and appear in complete good spirits

I'm not crazy about the early shows of the Skin N Bones tour.

The later ones though, in Europe in June and July are absolutely fucking incredible. Axl is like a hurricane. Nice Boys in Karlsruhe might be his best performance ever.

i think mine wins - listening to yours now and he really disses izzy before double talking jive motherfucker which is uncalled for - not a good vibe to be having that