Is it possible that Slash haven't had any great riff since he left GNR because he's not working with Izzy and Axl anymore?

ManetsBR

CD is the best rock album in the last 10 years.

Amen!

10 years? What rock album better than Chinese Democracy was released 11, or 12 or 13... years ago? :lol:

@groghan - the only thing i disagree wth you about in your post is that CD was the best rock album in þhe last 10 yrs.

Axl wishes his guitarists could come up with half the amount of good riffs slash comes up with - and whoever said it was write, axl hasnt written a good vocal/lyric since uyi

Hmmm... don't know about that. Catcher's vocals and especially the outro vocals are great imo. Better's vocals too, Street Of Dreams, just to name a few.

Slash came up with many cool riffs post Guns. Slither, By The Sword, Anastasia... Honestly, most songs on Contraband have a badass riff, and even the Snakepit material which im not a fan of at all contained some awesome riffs.

Edited by Rovim

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Slash has a ton of fantastic riffs post GNR imo

Slither, just like anything, sucker train blues, ghost, anastasia, halo, the last fight, fall to pieces, serial killer, shots fired, tons more and that's blot even counting 5 o clock

Yes.

You could also ask the question, ''Is it possible that Axl hasn't had any great lyrics since old GNR because he's not working with Izzy and Slash anymore?'', as Axl's post Slash lyrics have been very poor (exception being, Oh My God).

Both of these posts, /thread

Riffs have never been Slash's problem. However, riffs alone don't make a great song. Slash is not a natural (like Izzy) or interesting (like Axl) songwriter. The old GnR group worked so well because Izzy was great at laying out the basic framework of a song, Slash was great at coming up with big riffs and solos, and Axl was great at creating vocal melodies and bringing it all together.

I think they've all retained their strengths. Personally, I'm more interested in Axl's music (rare as it has been) because I find his songwriting and sense of melody more appealing without the other old GnR elements than I find Slash's riffs or Izzy's songwriting on their own.

The main gripe I have with them is quite opposite. With Slash, I think he's largely avoided pushing himself since leaving GnR and stuck within his comfort zone. With Axl, the problem is that he can't just trust himself and release his music; if he'd released 3 or 4 albums since 1997, he (and his music) would not be judged so harshly. CD could've come out in 2002 (or 2003 or 2004) largely the same as it was, minus Ron's parts.

I would say it is possible, especially since anyone GNR related, whether it be Slash, Axl, Duff, etc. have not done a single thing that can match up to what they did together. In my opinion of course

Slash's solo material overall is a bit underwhelming to me but he can still belt out great solos and occasionaly it all comes together. He has had plenty of great songs post-GNR

Riffs have never been Slash's problem. However, riffs alone don't make a great song. Slash is not a natural (like Izzy) or interesting (like Axl) songwriter. The old GnR group worked so well because Izzy was great at laying out the basic framework of a song, Slash was great at coming up with big riffs and solos, and Axl was great at creating vocal melodies and bringing it all together.

I think they've all retained their strengths. Personally, I'm more interested in Axl's music (rare as it has been) because I find his songwriting and sense of melody more appealing without the other old GnR elements than I find Slash's riffs or Izzy's songwriting on their own.

The main gripe I have with them is quite opposite. With Slash, I think he's largely avoided pushing himself since leaving GnR and stuck within his comfort zone. With Axl, the problem is that he can't just trust himself and release his music; if he'd released 3 or 4 albums since 1997, he (and his music) would not be judged so harshly. CD could've come out in 2002 (or 2003 or 2004) largely the same as it was, minus Ron's parts.

Fuck. I agree with this.

Slash has a ton of fantastic riffs post GNR imo

Slither, just like anything, sucker train blues, ghost, anastasia, halo, the last fight, fall to pieces, serial killer, shots fired, tons more and that's blot even counting 5 o clock

Exactly.

Been There Lately is a good fuckin' riff. Back and Forth Again, Beggars & Hangers-On.

A shame that "Ain't Life Grand ?" has been OOP for years now.

Yeah, good song!

Yeah, Snakepit I was a good album, I never understood the negative reception.

I don't think the reception was negative - it just wasn't the euphoria of UYI. I think any album that came out once Guns split would have struggled.

But now the dust has long settled, and I give that album a spin - I appreciate what a great record it actually is

LA

True, and all the UYI euphoria was due to how good AFD was. They rode the AFD popularity wave pretty much 'till they stopped playing in 93.

While I agree with this, I can't help but think You Could Be Mine and November Rain did wonders for how UYI was recieved. I mean, you can't deny the hits were there for it to stand on it's own.

Without the 'right' singles, UYI would have never been as big as it was.

I mean, Slash came up with the Sweet Child O' Mine riff, but it was Izzy who saw potential in that and Axl who turned that into a song.

Is it possible that Slash often comes up with incredible riffs, but thinks they're too lame, and as Izzy is not there anymore to warn him, he just scraps'em?

:lol:

no, cuz he came up great riffs after GNR anyway

Slash basically has no talent as a song / riff writer.. hence he has bounced around in club bands since leaving guns.... great guitar player though,

lol you are so wrong

Slash has a distinctive sound. When I hear a song with him in it I recognize that it is Slash. Sure it would be better for all of us (most of us) if Slash/Izzy and Axl would get locked in a room and come up with some great stuff. But those days are long gone.

let's put it this way - slash has come up w/ may more killers riif and songs than axl has since they parted ways

Slash wrote many great riffs since he left Guns, but I think Axl wrote better songs. (by himself or with others)

Chinese is just stronger as an album to me compared to what Slash came up with if you treat it as an Axl solo record.

Contraband was strong with many great riffs and solos, but every song has the same structure and the material hasn't really aged well imo.