Is it possible that Slash haven't had any great riff since he left GNR because he's not working with Izzy and Axl anymore?

ManetsBR

I mean, Slash came up with the Sweet Child O' Mine riff, but it was Izzy who saw potential in that and Axl who turned that into a song.

Is it possible that Slash often comes up with incredible riffs, but thinks they're too lame, and as Izzy is not there anymore to warn him, he just scraps'em?

:lol:

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I mean, Slash came up with the Sweet Child O' Mine riff, but it was Izzy who saw potential in that and Axl who turned that into a song.

Is it possible that Slash often comes up with incredible riffs, but thinks they're too lame, and as Izzy is not there anymore to warn him, he just scraps'em?

Yes. If he doesn't think that others will see it as being "cool" then he will stay away from it.

However, By The Sword is an amazing track rock4

Well, VR outsold and out-performed anything that Axl has done post-Slash...........so I'm guessing he is OK with how his career has went since leaving GnR.

And, maybe Slash isn't interested in creating an iconic riff. Maybe he just wants to create music for his fans to enjoy? Sort of the opposite route that Axl is taking.

Well, VR outsold and out-performed anything that Axl has done post-Slash...........so I'm guessing he is OK with how his career has went since leaving GnR.

And, maybe Slash isn't interested in creating an iconic riff. Maybe he just wants to create music for his fans to enjoy? Sort of the opposite route that Axl is taking.

Source? GNR post 2009 have played many gigs (including many festivals) so I'd have to question the "out-performed" portion of your statement.

Yes. If he doesn't think that others will see it as being "cool" then he will stay away from it.

However, By The Sword is an amazing track rock4

There was a story a couple of years ago about it been played on the backstage at a Guns N' Roses, and someone asked to turn it off, and Axl said to leave it on, because he liked that song.

Source? GNR post 2009 have played many gigs (including many festivals) so I'd have to question the "out-performed" portion of your statement.

Source for what?

Slash has released more albums than Axl. Slash has sold more albums than Axl. Slash has received more critical success than Axl. Slash has produced more "hits" than Axl.

And, since GnR is playing festivals LARGELY in part because they are playing music that Slash helped create...............if GnR was only playing songs created by the current (or the "last" band before this one) do you really think they'd be playing festivals? The bowling alley/wedding/'birthday party/vegas gigs would be more the norm.

Coma, I'm probably a bigger Axl (the singer) fan than even you are. You are definitely a bigger fan of him as a person than I am, I'll give you that.

But the big difference between you and I is that I don't base all my opinions on the premise that Axl is always right and is perfect and rules over everybody else. I personally couldn't stand Velvet Revolver, thought they were terrible. And Slash's solo work is hit and miss. Love some of it, bored by some of it. To me personally, CD is the best rock album of the last decade. BUT to act like Axl has been more successful than Slash since the real GnR broke up is just ridiculous. That's why the term nutter gets thrown around on here, because die-hard Axl fans refuse to look at things logically and instead see it all through rose colored glasses.

One album the last 20 years. A joke of a management team. Failed video and dvd releases. No official contact for their fans. Baseball cards with the likes of Kip Winger and Bobbie Brown. Weddings, birthday parties, bowling alleys, Vegas, etc. You might call that a successful 20 years. I don't.

Meanwhile, Slash puts out an album every few years. Plays with a multitude of other musicians. Keeps in contact with his fans. Releases music videos. And is highly respected by pretty much everybody who isn't a member of this forum in the real music world.

Just because Axl is my favorite rock singer doesn't mean I can't see what a cluster-F his career has turned into.

Edited by Groghan

Source for what?

Slash has released more albums than Axl. Slash has sold more albums than Axl. Slash has received more critical success than Axl. Slash has produced more "hits" than Axl.

And, since GnR is playing festivals LARGELY in part because they are playing music that Slash helped create...............if GnR was only playing songs created by the current (or the "last" band before this one) do you really think they'd be playing festivals? The bowling alley/wedding/'birthday party/vegas gigs would be more the norm.

Coma, I'm probably a bigger Axl (the singer) fan than even you are. The difference between you and I is that I don't base all my opinions on the premise that Axl is always right and is perfect and rules over everybody else. I personally couldn't stand Velvet Revolver, thought they were terrible. And Slash's solo work is hit and miss. Love some of it, bored by some of it. To me personally, CD is the best rock album of the last decade. BUT to act like Axl has been more successful than Slash since the real GnR broke up is just ridiculous. That's why the term nutter gets thrown around on here, because die-hard Axl fans refuse to look at things logically and instead see it all through rose colored glasses.

I just wanted to know how you quantified that VR out-performed GNR (post release of CD). You failed to answer and ran circles around yourself and started to get defensive (but shockingly not insulting).

Edit: - maybe you didn't see that I bloded that part of your statement which may why you were asking what I asked for a source for?

Edited by Coma16

izzy and axl haven't written a good song in the last 20 years..... is it possible that they don't write great songs because they aren't working with slash anymore ?

Lol - great post!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately a few posters on here think that the sun sets and rises because of Axl. So good luck getting them to give Slash any credit at all for GnR's success.

Bottom line is those guys were an amazing TEAM who created some brilliant rock and roll music. And without each other.......they haven't enjoyed the same success.

Coma..........are you serious?

I completely answered your question. What more information do you need?

Of course I didn't insult you. If you follow my posting history I rarely insult people unless I am responding to THEIR insults. I prefer to keep it respectful and the conversation based on the TOPIC.

And ran circles around what? I clearly explained to you the facts, and my feelings on the matter.

Defensive? Lol. Please. The day that guys like you and Lolcano make me get defensive or angry when talking about MUSIC is the day I'll retire from the forum. Axl doesn't mean that much to me, bro. Maybe he does to you?

So what was I wrong about in my post???????

Slash has released more albums.

Slash has sold more records.

Slash has had the more successful single album.

Slash has received more critical acclaim.

Axl has benefited from using the GnR name.

Slash is still more respected in the industry and by the general music fan.

CD is the best rock album in the last 10 years.

Axl has released one album of original material in the past 20 years.

We have NO official word on any new album from Axl or his management team.

Those are all facts. Well, the CD being the best rock album in the last decade is my opinion. No matter how much you worship Axl Rose, you can't really argue the facts even if they make Axl look bad.

Edited by Groghan

izzy and axl haven't written a good song in the last 20 years..... is it possible that they don't write great songs because they aren't working with slash anymore ?

Lol - great post!!!!!!!!!

Unfortunately a few posters on here think that the sun sets and rises because of Axl. So good luck getting them to give Slash any credit at all for GnR's success.

Bottom line is those guys were an amazing TEAM who created some brilliant rock and roll music. And without each other.......they haven't enjoyed the same success.

Coma..........are you serious?

I completely answered your question. What more information do you need?

Of course I didn't insult you. If you follow my posting history I rarely insult people unless I am responding to THEIR insults. I prefer to keep it respectful and the conversation based on the TOPIC.

And ran circles around what? I clearly explained to you the facts, and my feelings on the matter.

Defensive? Lol. Please. The day that guys like you and Lolcano make me get defensive or angry when talking about MUSIC is the day I'll retire from the forum. Axl doesn't mean that much to me, bro. Maybe he does to you?

So what was I wrong about in my post???????

Slash has released more albums.

Slash has sold more records.

Slash has had the more successful single album.

Slash has received more critical acclaim.

Axl has benefited from using the GnR name.

Slash is still more respected in the industry and by the general music fan.

Axl has released one album of original material in the past 20 years.

We have NO official word on any new album from Axl or his management team.

Those are all facts. Well, the CD being the best rock album in the last decade is my opinion. No matter how much you worship Axl Rose, you can't really argue the facts even if they make Axl look bad.

And yet in all of those "facts" there is no mention of VR outperforming GNR - or better yet a souce for your statement. I'm not sure how that is "completely answering my question" lol

Amen!

I completely disagree...

First of all, the best music & riffs have been made in 80's and 90's as far as rock is concerned... Bearing that in mind Slash showed the world all his class & talent by making some more memorable riffs on his VR stint. Hell he's even pulled out some cool riffs on his solo band too. Slash is GOD, the same way Axl is GOD too. They're meant to rule the rock world together but Axl disagrees... :no:

Edited by trqster

Slash has a ton of fantastic riffs post GNR imo

Slither, just like anything, sucker train blues, ghost, anastasia, halo, the last fight, fall to pieces, serial killer, shots fired, tons more and that's blot even counting 5 o clock

Slash has a ton of fantastic riffs post GNR imo

Slither, just like anything, sucker train blues, ghost, anastasia, halo, the last fight, fall to pieces, serial killer, shots fired, tons more and that's blot even counting 5 o clock

Yes.

You could also ask the question, ''Is it possible that Axl hasn't had any great lyrics since old GNR because he's not working with Izzy and Slash anymore?'', as Axl's post Slash lyrics have been very poor (exception being, Oh My God).

The chemistry between the AFD-UYI line up was magic, you cant describe it logically. Slash is a very talented and soulful iconic guitarist, to me he's simply the best, but i never got full taste from his post GNR songs, and the only vocalist i liked that worked with him was Rod, which lasted very short, thank god they made an album at least.

Amen!

10 years? What rock album better than Chinese Democracy was released 11, or 12 or 13... years ago? :lol:

@groghan - the only thing i disagree wth you about in your post is that CD was the best rock album in þhe last 10 yrs.

Axl wishes his guitarists could come up with half the amount of good riffs slash comes up with - and whoever said it was write, axl hasnt written a good vocal/lyric since uyi