I think it has always been ridiculous that GNR plays cover songs that are considered "staples" by pretty much everyone

phaeryen

I think it has always been ridiculous that GNR plays cover songs that are considered "staples" by pretty much everyone.

It wasn't right in the 90's, it wasn't right in the 00's, and it isn't right in the 2010's.

Who the F gets off on knockin on heavens door. or LALD. I don't understand what Axl's reasoning behind this is. They're not GNR songs even if you had succesful music video hits to them in the 90's. Listen here oh Gingerheaded One, it's ok to drop them from the set. It's been 20 years now. Jesus...

The only question here really is:

which should be dumped first, these cover songs, or the solospots that aren't required? I'm sure "the boys in the band" would be A-Ok with having less solo spots. Sure, Axl might need one or two when he's breathing his oxygen tank stuff backstage catching his breath. But I'm sure, as it is, there's too many of them. and too many of these non-GNR cover songs getting played.

KOHD is the only song with any real crowd interaction. I can't see that ever being dropped.it does go on for a bit abit long though. I wouldn't miss LALD. I would like to hear The Seeker though.

solo spots I think are a contract thing or a way of Axl thanking the band members

Each of them can promote there own solo projects, its another way securing them to the band, because they wouldn't get that crowd outside of the band. Also Ashba can freely wear his own clothing line, so beyond the paycheck the band have other reasons to stick around.

Edited by Axl_morris

agreed with you OP
but the sad thing is, many GNR fans doesn't even know that KOHD isn't a GNR track...
LALD is the worst cover they ever recorded or performed, the only good thing is the Axl long scream about that song

The solo spots stays forver i guess, cuz as you said Axl really need to rest/ catch his breath (i think even in the nineties this would necesarrily)

Most people going to a GNR show expect to hear KOHD. LALD, while extremely boring to listen to normally, is awesome to experience live. The covers I want them to drop are the ones that have absolutely nothing to do with GNR. (Angie, Don't Let it Bring You Down, Another Brick in the Wall, etc.)

KOHD has practically became a GnR song such as Baby I'm Gonna Leave You is practically a Zeppelin song or Last Kiss is practically a Pearl Jam song. Even more so than those two. It needs to be played live. Doesn't need to be 12 minutes long, but it needs to be played as a staple. I've had enough of LALD. It's an awesome live song but yeah... I'd be happy if they played a GnR song instead of it. And I agree with bacardi: They need to drop all those covers. What's up with having The Seeker, DLIBYD, Angie, ABITW, No Quarter, Motivation, GTBH... c'mon... At least 1/4 of the setlist is not GnR.

I don't have any problem with KOHD and LALD in principle. My problem is that I don't like how either is performed anymore. KOHD got bloated in the UYI era, but this slower, very little rasp KOHD that lasts 45 minutes is for the birds, man. The coolest thing about KOHD is Axl's voice's progression during the chorus. That just doesn't happen anymore. Somewhat similar story with LALD. The screams are what made it for me. The screams now are :no: .

It's crazy they play more covers now at shows than they do CD songs.

I wish Axl and Beta and the kids would decide to stop the nostalgic era and push this band forward! They have a great backing band, and Axl can still write quality music and he sounds great in the studio. But the longer Beta/Axl wait to do this, the more chance that it will never happen.

The current band has proved they can cover Slash/Izzy/Duff's work. Now let's see what they can do in the studio!!!!!

Of all the things to complain about ... this is one of 'em. I really like KOHD in the live set, it's a great crowd participation song, was a GNR single and hit, still gets radio play today, and sounds great live. It's a total no-brainer. Live and Let Die, I could live without, but it's the big pyro song so it makes a certain amount of sense to keep it in the set.

KOHD is, was and always will be a "staple" of any GN'R show--even if the old band reunited. It just seems to be a song that every lineup since at least 1988 has enjoyed doing. It's a part and parcel of the GN'R concert experience. A GN'R show really wouldn't be the same without it, cover or not.

LALD I agree, drop it. If Axl really wants to do another cover, maybe they could try out Sympathy live for the first time, or Jumping Jack Flash or something off TSI in place of LALD. It's an energetic song but...it really has worn out it's welcome. It's also IMO their worst cover.

KOHD has practically became a GnR song

no. it is not a GNR song. not in theory. not in practice. it's longwinded, and takes away from a setlist that already has many things working against it.

The only way to understand KOHD, for me, is if Axl really loves that song so much he wants to sing it all the time.

My guess is, this is not the case. I think he is just operating under some preconcieved notion of what he has to/what he should do, to achieve some percieved whatever.

It's all nonsense.

Drop the coversongs. they're dead weight from the 90's.

You wanted to be moving on from everything slash related anyway, right? Those cover choices, the music vids, have slash on lead written all over them.

and they're not even gnr songs.

drop them.

I've never liked those songs, either original versions or covers. I skip them. Doing cover songs is a bar band thing.

A-fuckin'-MEN.

Listen to this man.

How about not play any cover songs and rely solely on material that you have yourself written, recorded and released?

Playing cover songs is a bar band thing. Like that one guy said on the first page of this thread.

Edited by phaeryen

How about not play any cover songs and rely solely on material that you have yourself written, recorded and released?

Playing cover songs is a bar band thing. Like that one guy said on the first page of this thread.

Well, they are down to bowlingally shows.... So it's not far away to becoming a bar band.....

Well if you didn't catch KOHD and LALD in 1992, you might've caught it in 2002, and if you didn't catch it in 2002, you should've caught it in 2012.

Enough already.

My man.

I'll buy you a drink if you ever wander into my neck of the woods. ;)