Guns N' Roses Twitter post about New Album!

Jakey Styley

i love jarmo's reaction:

Common sense and experience tells you the band doesn't announce shows, albums or anything until there's something to announce.

Unfortunately, for some it's not enough. They keep asking for updates when there's nothing to update, hence this update.

It seems like some people need to be reminded of this fact occasionally.

Others know this and don't "demand" updates.

/jarmo

Not upset at all with the update. I think we get it. There's nothing to update. Fair enough if thats the message that needs to get out. However, the lack of tact and poor choice of words kind of sucks. Definitely comes across as negative/almost attacking

If that's the update you want to give out, there are literally dozens of ways to spin or reword it so it doesn't come off as such. Anybody in that camp with PR experience could handle it.

Whether they want to believe it or not, the band has an image issue within both the hardcore and casual fanbase. Comments on FB show that on some level. Statements like that probably dont help much.

On topic, why the fuck did Axl keep the name if he wasn't going to do something productive with it? In the last 20 years, we've got 16 new songs (counting OMG and Silkworms) including 1 full album of new material that took over a decade to be released. If Axl intends to continue as a nostalgia act, might as well call up Slash because people sure as hell aren't going to be paying to see DJ Ashba or Bumblefoot in a year or two if the nostalgia act continues to tour.

Thats a perfectly worded post. However, I disagree with you on one thing: why do you think people will stop paying to see Ashba or Bumblefoot in a year or two? Hasn't it been long enough to people would and should have stopped paying awhile ago? I don't agree with their method, but it seems to be working perfectly: tour Europe as much as fucking possible because clearly any lineup of GNR will always be successful there, and then tour the US every 4 years when people haven't seen it in awhile and they get suckered into seeing it again. I mean come on, you are absolutely right that Axl is being a dick with not being productive with the name, but people should have stopped paying awhile ago and unfortunately I think he will always have his little army that will keep supporting him.

I haven't gone since 2006! But i'm only one

This statement is dreadfully worded, and it does nothing to inspire any confidence in anything new even being written anytime soon.

Is the disconnect between management and the fans now so great that they don't have an inkling of how important new music is to the fanbase? Seriously.

That's because Team Brazil stands to gain next to nothing from another GNR album. Much easier to keep Axl touring so they can keep feeding their posse and reaping the rewards from the shows that they no doubt have stake in.

I mean, seriously, does anyone here truly believe that literally anyone in TB is a Guns N' Roses fan? Please. What do they care if Guns ever puts out another record?

Edited by sofine11

At least they're being honest. So yeah, this band is more a tribute act to what GNR used to be instead of an active band interested in any type of future or progress. Then again we kind of knew that already.

Edited by jimb0

Enablers! If no one went to his concerts, it wouldnt allow him to live so comfortably

I saw Axl in 2006, and while his voice was good, I was still disapointed with the show... I'm glad I saw Axl because it was the first time though. I could've see him 2 more time since then but I didn't went, not in a "that'll teach him" attitude, it's just that it doesnt interest me to see his fake guns playing the classics I love. Seeing other guitarists play the november rain solo is just wrong for me. I think I'm not the only one... Guns N Roses should still draw a lot of people but it seems that each year attendance are decreasing, it wouldn't surprise me that in a few of years Axl and his band would be obliged to play bars.

On topic, why the fuck did Axl keep the name if he wasn't going to do something productive with it? In the last 20 years, we've got 16 new songs (counting OMG and Silkworms) including 1 full album of new material that took over a decade to be released. If Axl intends to continue as a nostalgia act, might as well call up Slash because people sure as hell aren't going to be paying to see DJ Ashba or Bumblefoot in a year or two if the nostalgia act continues to tour.

Thats a perfectly worded post. However, I disagree with you on one thing: why do you think people will stop paying to see Ashba or Bumblefoot in a year or two? Hasn't it been long enough to people would and should have stopped paying awhile ago? I don't agree with their method, but it seems to be working perfectly: tour Europe as much as fucking possible because clearly any lineup of GNR will always be successful there, and then tour the US every 4 years when people haven't seen it in awhile and they get suckered into seeing it again. I mean come on, you are absolutely right that Axl is being a dick with not being productive with the name, but people should have stopped paying awhile ago and unfortunately I think he will always have his little army that will keep supporting him.

I haven't gone since 2006! But i'm only one

I only went in 2011 and 2012 to see the additions of Civil War and Estranged, and on the slim chance that Axl would rasp it up. Unfortunately I went to Roseland and not Philly. I decided not to go to the bowling alley or the show after it because it was just going to be the same show that I had seen the two years before. I honestly see there being a further decline in attendance if like the message implies no new material is recorded or released. How are they going to gain more fans by not making any progress. If all they count on are recent youtube performances and CD to pack venues with fans they are screwed. The band is such a mess that they can't even come together to write a song. They've had plenty of chances to. Hell they spent a whole month in the same city at the same hotel and couldn't even get together to work on any music. I say they but the ultimate responsibility lies with Axl. It seems like he has just given up on the band. He tried rebuilding it, it was one big headache. He produced CD which in the eyes of many was a big failure.. He did manage to come up with a few good songs but he lost the backbone of the writers in the process... Bucket, Robin, and Tobias. So when he does an album, half the band walks away and he has to rebuild again.

You might as well stick a fork in Axl because he seems to be done. It seems as if he doesn't even care anymore. He hires a guitarist who writes him 12 songs and 2 years after he received the demos the rest of the band hasn't done any work on them.

I don't know why Axl is even touring. He doesn't put the effort into the performances he used to, he doesn't even keep himself in shape to give good performances any more. He doesn't put any effort into improving he setlist by breaking out the back catalog and he doesn't do shit to move this band into the future.

Axl can't even be bothered with interacting with the band. IE approving studio takes over the phone, or being sent the tracks via CD. He doesn't even show up to rehearsals.

Why Axl even carries on with Guns I don't know. It seems like he just needs some pocket change to support his adopted family. Axl seems so apathetic about this band that he let someone with a resume of a house-cleaner and nanny manage it. It is beyond sad and in ways even painful that we use the phrase 'Guns N' Roses' to describe this current 'band.' It's truly an insult to the original or 'classic' Guns N' Roses and a kick in the fucking teeth to everything they accomplished.

I guess all these things can happen really quickly. They could book a tour next month. Get given a slot for a new record release next year. Rockfuel might decide to pit out the dvd this summer.

Even releasing one song online for the fans will do wonders imo. Atlas Shrugged on the official site. It was intended to be on Chinese anyway.

Edited by Rovim

I guess all these things can happen really quickly. They could book a tour next month. Get given a slot for a new record release next year. Rockfuel might decide to pit out the dvd this summer.

Even releasing one song online for the fans will do wonders imo. Atlas Shrugged on the official site. It was intended to be on Chinese anyway.

Fuck, put it on iTunes and the website for $1.29, and then continue every other month with the other finished tracks. God knows everyone here would buy them. Anything beats the dust they've been collecting all these years.

All it takes is a little fucking effort.

Edited by sofine11

This band is a waste of time now. I like their music and really enjoyed Chinese, however, the endless touring, lack of communication with the fan base, shitty official website and Axl's current inability to sing better than someone who has been kicked in the balls and is also high on helium has really made me lose interest.

I hoped this letter might lead to some good news, but in typical ridiculous GN'R fashion, it looks like there's nothing worth holding our breath for yet again.

Fuck, put it on iTunes and the website for $1.29, and then continue every other month with the other finished tracks. God knows everyone here would buy them. Anything beats the dust they've been collecting all these years.

That would require Axl doing work and opening himself to criticism. Two things Axl doesn't like to do especially lately.

Yeah there needs to be stop gap. Like Lies or Spaghetti incident.

But possibly Axl is saving it. If you look at UYI, strip away Izzy and Slash songs what do you have?

Atlas was seen as the obvious single by Tom Zutaut.

Maybe the live dvd could hold people over.

• Like 1

That would require Axl doing work and opening himself to criticism. Two things Axl doesn't like to do especially lately.

Lol. You're not wrong.

In the hands of the right people this act could go all the way to the top. Again!. There are people in the idustry that could transform this dysfunctional complaicent band into a juggernaught. Axl has flogged the past glory of GNR for fucking 15 years to long. The longer this shit keeps going on the more I am inclined to believe every thing that the former members of GNR said about him.

I think that when it comes to releasing music (once every 20 years or so) Axl is not very modern, or he doesn't really see it as a good enough way to release Gn'R material. My guess is the only proper way in his eyes to release his music is in the form of a physical album.

Basically the opposite of Izzy and Bumble when it comes to that. I don't believe Axl will just release one song at a time.

Edited by Rovim

I think that when it comes to releasing music (once every 20 years or so) Axl is not very modern, or he doesn't really see it as a good enough way to release Gn'R material. My guess is the only proper way in his eyes to release his music is in the form of an album.

Basically the opposite of Izzy and Bumble when it comes to that. I don't believe Axl will just release one song at a time.

Right, but what Axl seemingly still fails to realize that in 2013 no label is going to roll out the red carpet for a hard rock album. If he realized that, we'd most likely have the 2nd album by now. There comes a point where all this alleged artistic integrity stops being admirable. At this point, he's just screwing over the fans.

Edited by sofine11

This statement is dreadfully worded, and it does nothing to inspire any confidence in anything new even being written anytime soon.

Is the disconnect between management and the fans now so great that they don't have an inkling of how important new music is to the fanbase? Seriously.

Not out to bash "Team Brazil," but I do think having them at the helm of the band is bad. Maybe not for Axl -- it's probably great for him: he has family to trust, he doesn't have to worry about a manager subversively attempting to reunite him with old bandmembers for a big paycheck. He gets to coast by and tour endlessly and do what he's ostensibly wanted to do for years, which is kind of rest on his laurels a bit, and they're not putting any pressure on him to do otherwise. They're pretty much the first manager he's had, I'd wager, who don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

... Which is the problem for the rest of us, the fans, and why TB ain't the best choice of managers for someone who can be notoriously indecisive and didn't release an album in a decade and a half. They're going to just enable his behaviour. And I'm sure if he read this he'd get that "I don't owe the fans anything" mentality, and that's all well and good, but then don't be surprised when the fans stop showing up to the gigs. Sadly, he'll probably always be able to somewhat coast by on the GN'R brand name -- there are always going to be casual rock fans who show up to concerts to hear the big hits -- but I think that's where he mistakes the "fans" for the casual listeners, and in the process really kind of slaps the fanbase who stuck by him for years and years in the face. There's always been this kind of animosity towards "us" (collectively, as in, all online fans), and even in 2006 he had a few mini rants about the online communities. I remember him bitching at a gig in Ireland, I think, about how he couldn't give a shit about people online complaining about identical setlists, because he's "performing for the people who come to the shows" -- as if it never occurred to him that plenty of fans on the forums DO pay to go see gigs (multiple times), but, due to monetary issues and geographical issues, aren't able to fly around the world and go see every single gig. If -- as was the case -- some fans online paid to see multiple shows and got the same setlists and had a criticism about that fact, then it's not just "haters whining on the internet" who don't go to shows -- it's a valid fucking criticism and something that most bands would take into consideration. It also didn't occur to him, I guess, that probably 90% of his audiences on any given night were just casual music fans paying to see the hits played -- the sort of casual music fans who didn't rush out and buy his new album when we did.

The Internet fans were the only ones who really held out hope and had a vested interest in ChiDem when others mocked and ridiculed it. We were forced to congregate here online to discuss it and the band for years because there was silence, canceled tours, etc. The average, casual rock fan wasn't just disinterested in 'NuGNR' -- they were ignorant of the band's activity because of how difficult it was to even follow them for so long. I can't tell you how many times over the years I wasn't even able to hold a conversation with another music fan IRL about GN'R because they had literally no knowledge of the band post-breakup. Being a fan of this band has been challenging. I just feel like sometimes -- hell, very often, actually -- the online fanbase is derided as whiners and complainers and perceived as an enemy when, in fact, even just an appearance on a fucking talk show from Axl had people happy for weeks. It really doesn't take much to appease people on the forums. People only bitch because of behaviour like this from the people running the band, who somehow perceive us as ungrateful twerps, it seems. I really don't get it.

After this update, I have very little, if any, dwindling hope left for new material of any kind. I don't see pressure from the label - Geffen/Universal probably has already written off all older Chi Dem sessions by now and wouldn't be badgering Axl about a follow-up given the lackluster sales of that album - and I don't see much interest from anyone in the band except Bumblefoot and, to some extent, Ashba, who I think is only truly interested in writing new music because it'd help further publicize his name. Which I can't fault him for - at least he wants to do new music.

• Like 4

Sofine11:

A lot of big things can happen with just a little compromise. I think Axl is fully aware, it's just that he's not willing to release another album with anything less then what he thinks is good enough financial backing, huge promotion and all that stuff.

Chinese Democracy's release was probably very painful for him so he's not in a hurry to make his move with cd2, and he's never in a hurry to do a lot of things anyway.

Probably better off if they hadn't said anything at all... made themselves seem pretty dumb here

once its confirmed? Arent you guys the ones that "confirm" things? lol

Tryin to look at this on the bright side, at least their next "update" cant be "we STILL dont have anything for you" - ive been sayin since the CD release date fiasco that next time we get a date for anything, itll be a solid date cuz axl cant make that mistake again or its really game over... problem is we havnt got any dates on anything except live shows for the past 5 years... the shows are fuckin awesome tho, ill give them that much

I miss Merck. The man knew how to make false promises. He really could paint a picture of how it could be holding another Gn'R album in your hands.

TB should at least give us the lottery ticket fantasy. When DJ does it it's too obvious.

I get that people are frustrated, but there is no reason to think that eschewing the album format for releasing one song at a time is even a realistic possibility. Not that that would be a bad thing, but it doesn't seem like that is something major labels are apt to do.

Ali

Not out to bash "Team Brazil," but I do think having them at the helm of the band is bad. Maybe not for Axl -- it's probably great for him: he has family to trust, he doesn't have to worry about a manager subversively attempting to reunite him with old bandmembers for a big paycheck. He gets to coast by and tour endlessly and do what he's ostensibly wanted to do for years, which is kind of rest on his laurels a bit, and they're not putting any pressure on him to do otherwise. They're pretty much the first manager he's had, I'd wager, who don't force him to do anything he doesn't want to do.

... Which is the problem for the rest of us, the fans, and why TB ain't the best choice of managers for someone who can be notoriously indecisive and didn't release an album in a decade and a half. They're going to just enable his behaviour. And I'm sure if he read this he'd get that "I don't owe the fans anything" mentality, and that's all well and good, but then don't be surprised when the fans stop showing up to the gigs. Sadly, he'll probably always be able to somewhat coast by on the GN'R brand name -- there are always going to be casual rock fans who show up to concerts to hear the big hits -- but I think that's where he mistakes the "fans" for the casual listeners, and in the process really kind of slaps the fanbase who stuck by him for years and years in the face. There's always been this kind of animosity towards "us" (collectively, as in, all online fans), and even in 2006 he had a few mini rants about the online communities. I remember him bitching at a gig in Ireland, I think, about how he couldn't give a shit about people online complaining about identical setlists, because he's "performing for the people who come to the shows" -- as if it never occurred to him that plenty of fans on the forums DO pay to go see gigs (multiple times), but, due to monetary issues and geographical issues, aren't able to fly around the world and go see every single gig. If -- as was the case -- some fans online paid to see multiple shows and got the same setlists and had a criticism about that fact, then it's not just "haters whining on the internet" who don't go to shows -- it's a valid fucking criticism and something that most bands would take into consideration. It also didn't occur to him, I guess, that probably 90% of his audiences on any given night were just casual music fans paying to see the hits played -- the sort of casual music fans who didn't rush out and buy his new album when we did.

The Internet fans were the only ones who really held out hope and had a vested interest in ChiDem when others mocked and ridiculed it. We were forced to congregate here online to discuss it and the band for years because there was silence, canceled tours, etc. The average, casual rock fan wasn't just disinterested in 'NuGNR' -- they were ignorant of the band's activity because of how difficult it was to even follow them for so long. I can't tell you how many times over the years I wasn't even able to hold a conversation with another music fan IRL about GN'R because they had literally no knowledge of the band post-breakup. Being a fan of this band has been challenging. I just feel like sometimes -- hell, very often, actually -- the online fanbase is derided as whiners and complainers and perceived as an enemy when, in fact, even just an appearance on a fucking talk show from Axl had people happy for weeks. It really doesn't take much to appease people on the forums. People only bitch because of behaviour like this from the people running the band, who somehow perceive us as ungrateful twerps, it seems. I really don't get it.

After this update, I have very little, if any, dwindling hope left for new material of any kind. I don't see pressure from the label - Geffen/Universal probably has already written off all older Chi Dem sessions by now and wouldn't be badgering Axl about a follow-up given the lackluster sales of that album - and I don't see much interest from anyone in the band except Bumblefoot and, to some extent, Ashba, who I think is only truly interested in writing new music because it'd help further publicize his name. Which I can't fault him for - at least he wants to do new music.

great post

definitely agree about us the fans. it was us on this forum and other message boards that went out and bought chinese democracy, it sure as fuck wasnt 30 or 40 year old soccer moms who gave 2 shits about the album.

Edited by bran