Eminem - new album, "MMLP2", out Nov 5th

Estranged Reality

Favorite Song?  

34 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

It's kind of how the establishment maintains the status quo, Rap was a threat, but once they got sucked up into the money they were nullified, now to the point where it's pop hop. Ice cube does rom coms, Ice T does chat shows, Dre can't even release a record, Chuck D is nation of islam so you can see the wall he hit.

It's kind of how the establishment maintains the status quo, Rap was a threat, but once they got sucked up into the money they were nullified, now to the point where it's pop hop. Ice cube does rom coms, Ice T does chat shows, Dre can't even release a record, Chuck D is nation of islam so you can see the wall he hit.

Record companies are a business and even big rock bands have their rocky years. I think where rappers were able to succeed was crossing over into acting at the right time in their careers. Chuck D is more of a musicologist/historian who complains about rappers that came up the same time he did getting shut out of by the music industry and trying to find ways to stay out there.

Dre's probably too busy making money and getting the businesses off the ground, that it came across as"Detox" getting dragged out and sidelined because he wasn't focused on it that much.

I don't understand how people think this song is raw or whatever. It's a convoluted mess.

@J Dog, I don't get where you're coming from. You love Death Row, right? Classic Dre and Snoop was about as radio friendly pop as hip hop gets.

I just think most hip hop now has very weak beats and production, very glossy, very poppy. Recovery is a prime example, I love Em, but that production was so weak I felt bad. Even Kendrick Lamar, who is my favorite rapper right now, on Good Kid Maad City, he has the same problem. There's only like 3 or 4 songs that I would say has a banging beat.

As for Dre and Death Row. It's hard to call it radio friendly when nothing on the radio sounded like it. It was brand new and different from anything else on the radio. Nuthin But a G Thang became the huge hit it did not because it was poppy and radio ready, but because it sounded great. Dre wasn't listening to the radio thinking my album needs to sound like this stuff on the radio, it sounded like nothing on the radio. I know you can't say Dre Day and Let Me Ride sound pop to you. Dre Day doesn't even have a hook.

Guest Len B'stard

I don't understand how people think this song is raw or whatever. It's a convoluted mess.

@J Dog, I don't get where you're coming from. You love Death Row, right? Classic Dre and Snoop was about as radio friendly pop as hip hop gets.

I just think most hip hop now has very weak beats and production, very glossy, very poppy. Recovery is a prime example, I love Em, but that production was so weak I felt bad. Even Kendrick Lamar, who is my favorite rapper right now, on Good Kid Maad City, he has the same problem. There's only like 3 or 4 songs that I would say has a banging beat.

As for Dre and Death Row. It's hard to call it radio friendly when nothing on the radio sounded like it. It was brand new and different from anything else on the radio. Nuthin But a G Thang became the huge hit it did not because it was poppy and radio ready, but because it sounded great. Dre wasn't listening to the radio thinking my album needs to sound like this stuff on the radio, it sounded like nothing on the radio. I know you can't say Dre Day and Let Me Ride sound pop to you. Dre Day doesn't even have a hook.

Those songs sounded dreadful on radio or MTV, they chopped em to bits with that fuckin' horrible editing out of any words that the word police said were naughty words that we shouldn't be allowed to listen to.

I didn't even touch on the lyrics but yeah that's another reason they weren't radio or pop. They sold millions sure, but the heat was on them hard for all the gun/violence/gang talk. Back then talking about ho's and smoking weed wasn't socially accepted and cool like it is now. The bitch word was a big deal back then.

I don't know, man. I think Let Me Ride is pretty damn poppy. I remember hearing Dre and Snoop for the first time and the main thing I was taken by was how catchy the songs were. No one except Tipper Gore and Moms for Jesus were up in arms about the lyrics. Us kids thought they were great. Dre and Snoop revolutionized hip hop by making all the white kids love it.

They were mainstream gangsta rap. They brought an existing genre to the mainstream and they did it with relatively poppy songs. (Keyword: relatively.) It's honestly nostalgia speaking if you think they were ever really straight-off-the-street thugs with no pop element to their music, that was very much a calculated image thing and it worked. Hearing Snoop Dogg/Dr Dre rapping on The Chronic as a teenager was the moment I decided to give rap music a chance.

I know for a lot of white kids it was Eminem who blew the doors off rap music and introduced it to the world at large, but for me that wasn't the case. And he wouldn't have been able to make pop-rap without the help of dudes like Dre who paved the way (I mean hell, Dre even produced his early shit). It's not a bad thing, it doesn't discredit their music, but magisme is right that Dre and Snoop were very much doing mainstream stuff with a pop edge.

I hear yall. And I'll meet yall halfway, yes a lot of that stuff did sound good on the radio. And yeah it pretty much became mainstream. I just don't think it had a pop sound like todays rap. Was it catchy, sure, I just don't think the music sounded pop. You can take most of the beats from a rap song today and swap it with the beat from a r&b song and not tell much difference. I guess that was my main point. I don't know maybe it's just me. I just think a lot of the production is weak.

I hear yall. And I'll meet yall halfway, yes a lot of that stuff did sound good on the radio. And yeah it pretty much became mainstream. I just don't think it had a pop sound like todays rap. Was it catchy, sure, I just don't think the music sounded pop. You can take most of the beats from a rap song today and swap it with the beat from a r&b song and not tell much difference. I guess that was my main point. I don't know maybe it's just me. I just think a lot of the production is weak.

Dre and Snoop were still good. That's the main difference for me. That crap Eminem did with Pink and Rihanna on his last album was the definition of selling out all your artistic credibitlity in order to ship a few more units.

Edited by Randy Lahey

I ain't meetin' shit half way. :lol:

Yeah, I'm on board with what you're saying here.

• Like 1

the quote I read about MMLP 2 seemed like he didn't really want to do it. maybe artists are now doing that one for them and one for me thing. maybe he doesn't want to do parody MM records? But it ruins his rep to do pop music? each artist would have a similar conundrum to face. at least he hasn't gone the Detox route or Street King Immortal rule yet.

Edited by wasted

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Len B'stard

BUo0lE0CYAMT7bP.jpg

I'm curious to hear the rest of the record, and whether it follows suit of "Berzerk" or if that's just kind of a one-off throwback.

If it's all Beastie-inspired retro rap, cool.

I don't think he'd do that for some reason, don't ask me why.