Would you buy AFD 1999?

wfuckinga

I just have to laugh at Robin leaving TWICE because of inactivity. Bucket left, Freese left, Brain left. Likely all for the same reasons. Ron has been in the band since fucking 2006 and not one new GNR song. 5 years since the release of CD and they haven't even recorded, much less released anything. I swear, you couldn't make this stuff up ...

The rest of the band should put out a press release demanding that their lead singer dive in and find the monkey.

• Like 1

I had high hopes for this around the turn of the century. I'm honestly worn out of Appetite For Destruction.

How refreshing was it to hear those songs again in early 2001? They are so stale now. You can't have your favorite pizza everyday and still consider it a treat.

I just have to laugh at Robin leaving TWICE because of inactivity. Bucket left, Freese left, Brain left. Likely all for the same reasons. Ron has been in the band since fucking 2006 and not one new GNR song. 5 years since the release of CD and they haven't even recorded, much less released anything. I swear, you couldn't make this stuff up ...

The rest of the band should put out a press release demanding that their lead singer dive in and find the monkey.

Our best bet is some Pro Shot 2002 show popping up somewhere. I don't see the new band releasing anything.

I would buy it for the sake of having a complete collection, but to be honest, I think a re-recorded AFD would be an embarrassment to GNR.

To the media it would speak to Axl's sanity:

1. Needlessly re-recording an artistic masterpiece that is widely revered "as-is" as one of the greatest rock records of all time.

2. A further example of Axl's eccentric need to pretend his new band some how accomplished the old band achievements. This goes in the category of burying anything with the old band - including the UYI docos, his refusal to help with Reckless Road, wanting the new guys in the RRHOF and the general need to re-write history.

3. AFD is also revered as a guitar record, and Slash is considered a modern great. Robin's chops in 1999 were simply not at an acceptable standard. I doubt the the public would accept a re-record even with a technically more proficient player like buckethead - but if Robin's 2002 performances were similar to what he laid down in 99 then there's a fair chance they would be vastly inferior in most people's eyes to the original.

4. All of the above would be magnified by Axl's inability to function like a normal band. He's already looked at unfavourably. 1 album in 20 years is questionable enough. For the second album to be a bad cover album of a record considered perfect as it was and covered by a band that has also now walked out on Axl due to his inactivity is just totally ludicrous.

Shit yes!

Without a second thought, as soon as i heard of it waaaaaay back I was keen as hell to hear it.

IMO it doesn't replace the original, or tarnish it, or anything, nor should ppl look at it like that.

I wouldn't support it if all future pressings of AFD were to be the '99 version as that would ridiculous.

Look forward to that and anything, original or otherwise, from this sort of time period in Axl/Guns' life. Finger crossed a box set or anniversary release has this slipped in somewhere.