Slash's Third Album - "World On Fire"

ZoSoRose

I doubt any of these songs will be classics. I feel like TWAT does with the solos, the choir, it escalates to a finale. Axl is good at that. Anatasia is like Ghost 2 the ballad. It just keeps repeating what is a decent chorus. I feel No More Heroes is better. It builds to the solo, ebbs and flows.

Not that big a deal, just how I see Anatasia, I'm surprised people think its so good. I keep listening to it because it gets a lot of mentions. I will continue to listen to it.

To me Slither and Fall to Pieces are the modern classics. They would go on my post UYI GNR related playlist for sure.

Dude, the solo and vocal outro to TWAT goes on for 3 minutes sing and playing the same lines. "I would do anything for you, there was a time" repeat 250x's

I doubt any of these songs will be classics. I feel like TWAT does with the solos, the choir, it escalates to a finale. Axl is good at that. Anatasia is like Ghost 2 the ballad. It just keeps repeating what is a decent chorus. I feel No More Heroes is better. It builds to the solo, ebbs and flows.

Not that big a deal, just how I see Anatasia, I'm surprised people think its so good. I keep listening to it because it gets a lot of mentions. I will continue to listen to it.

To me Slither and Fall to Pieces are the modern classics. They would go on my post UYI GNR related playlist for sure.

I'd say Slash has more modern classics than axl does since they split; by miles
I think Slash has two or three. I'm not sure how to judge CD. I think there's way more artistry in stuff like Better, SOD, TWAT, Catcher. I think Slither and Fall to Pieces are full classics musically and audience wise.

I think Slash is good for riffs and solos, he's the guitar hero my generation. Instead of criticising TWAT which was introduced as a response to me saying Anatasia wasn't as good as Estranged, I think it would be more interesting to say what is good about Anatasia. The riff/chorus/playing great. Just don't think it has the artistry, lyrical, depth of an Estranged or even Fall to Pieces. When the solos come in they seem to mean so much more emotionally. Anatasia solo isn't memorable to me, and didn't have that impact. And it doesn't move through the gears to resolution like Estranged does. Itcircles around, then ends?

Outline what I'm missing here. Why is it a classic?

Fall to Pieces was a hit single for a successful album.

I'd go for Loving the Alien across the board.

Does not make it a good song.

Not really what were talking about here though is it. We all like different things too.

But to call Anatasia a classic is a bit premature to put it lightly.

Being a hit It makes it more likely to become a classic. Not always the case but its something. At least when they look at early 2000s Slither and Fall will be notable. Radio friendly rock songs.

If Anatasia ends up on the Top 200 rock songs of all time then great. I think it's too early to say for sure.

We're just a bunch of GNR hipsters who found a way for SCOM, Paradise City, Patience not to make the Top 5 GNR songs.

Annatasia is overrated. It kind of goes nowhere, same as Unholy.

Saying The Unholy goes nowhere is just crazy. That last 90 secs or whatever the best on the record. Truly epic in all the right ways.

Goes nowhere? :o Please gimme a heads up when Axl writes something on par or even close.

Evil shadows they are falling

And the misty-eyed are calling

To a God so far

People; troubled times are coming

Still you wonder why I’m running

I will take no part

Evil

(I know it was you this time; I know it was you this time; I’ve seen it with my own two eyes; you lie; you lie)

Unholy so vile

How can you justify a lie?

One more sacred alibi

Concealing your crimes

Until the end of time

Oh, why?

It’s you that should be crucified

Echoes of your true intentions

Well I guess you failed to mention

What was in your heart

Now I say it all so clearly

What you did to them has nearly

Torn us all apart

Evil

(I know it was you this time; I know it was you this time; took them like a sacrifice; you lie; you lie)

[Chorus:]

(Vocalizations)

You say on your knees that you don’t believe now

Don’t question a thing at all

Just receive what you’re meant to see

Now fall

On your knees

Evil shadows they are falling

And the misty-eyed are calling

You will break their heart

[Chorus:]

The broken how they cry

They only gave you heart and mind

How can you justify?

They loved you

Now father don’t deny

You took them like a sacrifice

We finally know the truth about you

Oh, yeah

(Solo)

You’re unholy

So vile

How can you justify?

Oh my, how they loved you

Oh, yeah

Concealing your crimes

But now they’ll see this time

The blind will deny you

Edited by Turn_It_Up
  • Like 1

I see a little progression in the verses. After a few listens you get the idea it's a father abusing his kids? But I kind of guessed that.

I'm really thinking of at certain points it looks like its time for it to explode musically but it never does. But it just keeps looping around. There's no feeling of momentum. At the end there's a short burst of fire. But I always feel disappointed it doesn't go all out like Coma.

There's just a feeling of being held back, why not let loose?

It's still all right, personal preferences. I just know i won't go back to it that often.

It's in my top 4-5 tracks on the album.

Savage Sun sounds badass but what it's about confused me. It sounds like a song to go hunting elephants to. The PC thing lost me. Just rack out the lines.

Edited by wasted

Lets not beat around the bush, Slash is known for his in the moment guitar lead breaks, and thats exactly what his solo music highlights and revolves around. There is nothing else to enjoy other than slash letting loose real good, and giving a sweet ass beautiful solo that he is more than capable of. Problem is there is nothing else to ponder or enjoy here or anywhere on his solo efforts. These songs are all forgettable because they forget that great solos need great ideas to make the complete package. Songs like Comfortably Numb are great because of the great idea behind it, not just because it has a killer guitar solo....which it does lol. Face it, this music is for idiots, if Slash wanted to he could write Locomotives or try embracing Metal instead of playing it so safe...I don't care if he slows the tempo or speeds it up, just make the song worth listening to at least more than once. Or make it stupid and super catchy like She Builds Quick Machines. yeah il just listen to that LOL

I see a little progression in the verses. After a few listens you get the idea it's a father abusing his kids? But I kind of guessed that.

Think you're missing the narrative. Song is about child sexual abuse in the Catholic church and by "father" he is calling out a priest toward the end.

Solo and song ends perfectly, IMO. No need to go Stairway at the conclusion of such a track...

Fall to Pieces was a hit single for a successful album.

I'd go for Loving the Alien across the board.

Does not make it a good song.

Not really what were talking about here though is it. We all like different things too.

But to call Anatasia a classic is a bit premature to put it lightly.

Being a hit It makes it more likely to become a classic. Not always the case but its something. At least when they look at early 2000s Slither and Fall will be notable. Radio friendly rock songs.

If Anatasia ends up on the Top 200 rock songs of all time then great. I think it's too early to say for sure.

We're just a bunch of GNR hipsters who found a way for SCOM, Paradise City, Patience not to make the Top 5 GNR songs.

There is not a single song by a former GN'R member, or for that matter Axl's New guns, post 1991 which could potentially make a 'top 200 rock songs'. Slither and Fall to Pieces would not make a top 200 - a top 500 maybe, but not a 200!

Dude, the solo and vocal outro to TWAT goes on for 3 minutes sing and playing the same lines. "I would do anything for you, there was a time" repeat 250x's

TWAT is good musically, but the weak vocals and cheesy crybaby lyrics ruined the song.

I love Axl's scream "I would do anything for yooooouuuuuuuhuuuuuhuuuhuuuuuhuuuuuuu" and the solo/outro of TWAT. Too me it's one of the best parts of CD and one of the best parts in a song post GNR of a member/former member.

The first 3 min are the weak link of it.

That doesn't effects the greatness of Slash's work with Anastasia and several other tunes since leaving Guns.

If a classy has to be a hit then there wasn't written any classic song by any member/former member since '91 maybe with the exception of Slither.

Think you're missing the narrative. Song is about child sexual abuse in the Catholic church and by "father" he is calling out a priest toward the end.

Solo and song ends perfectly, IMO. No need to go Stairway at the conclusion of such a track...

Yeah, I kind of guessed that. Why not got Stairway or at least go all out? Maybe not radio enough? Around 4:40 I'm like "go, go, go!!!" but no. Myles, I want to hear use cream over a long burning rubber solo from Slash. That's all I'm saying. Just disappointed really.

Lets not beat around the bush, Slash is known for his in the moment guitar lead breaks, and thats exactly what his solo music highlights and revolves around. There is nothing else to enjoy other than slash letting loose real good, and giving a sweet ass beautiful solo that he is more than capable of. Problem is there is nothing else to ponder or enjoy here or anywhere on his solo efforts. These songs are all forgettable because they forget that great solos need great ideas to make the complete package. Songs like Comfortably Numb are great because of the great idea behind it, not just because it has a killer guitar solo....which it does lol. Face it, this music is for idiots, if Slash wanted to he could write Locomotives or try embracing Metal instead of playing it so safe...I don't care if he slows the tempo or speeds it up, just make the song worth listening to at least more than once. Or make it stupid and super catchy like She Builds Quick Machines. yeah il just listen to that LOL

But he doesn't do the solos. He keeps pulling out, or it's not long enough or with half the passion we know he has. Maybe live after a few JD's he'll go epic.

TWAT is good musically, but the weak vocals and cheesy crybaby lyrics ruined the song.

I love Axl's scream "I would do anything for yooooouuuuuuuhuuuuuhuuuhuuuuuhuuuuuuu" and the solo/outro of TWAT. Too me it's one of the best parts of CD and one of the best parts in a song post GNR of a member/former member.

That doesn't effects the greatness of Slash's work with Anastasia and several other tunes since leaving Guns.

If a classy has to be a hit then there wasn't written any classic song by any member/former member since '91 maybe with the exception of Slither.

Doesn't have to be a hit. As song like Tumbling Dice wasn't a radio smash? But it takes time. But it might be some kind of pointer. An audience can really help, unless Marty Goodfellas is going to use your songs in every movie he does. Slither and Fall to Pieces are the highlights of Slash's post-Guns career for me and those songs might be known to the public due to radio play, videos,

That's what I'm saying about going somewhere. Like on TWAT. Choir, drum loop, effects, vocals for 1 minute, then strings, esSolo calates to da dum, rocking guitars, lilting solos follow Axl on his journey into the past, key lyrics line up guitars/Wrong Time low talking, "But there was a time" - piano interlude, solo - drum roll, soloing, cue choir on chorus! Solo - listen to that shit, that should be Slash! "Oh I would do anything for yoooouuuuu". Longer solo, that vibrating solo is insane, we're getting there now, "aaaaahhaaaaahhaaaah". Piano, effects, choir, lights, credits. All the parts build up momentum to the finale. All that compared with The Unholy soft/loud dynamic then a solo. Maybe Axl just has more range or willingness to go over the top. Unholy never let's loose.

Yeah, I kind of guessed that. Why not got Stairway or at least go all out? Maybe not radio enough? Around 4:40 I'm like "go, go, go!!!" but no. Myles, I want to hear use cream over a long burning rubber solo from Slash. That's all I'm saying. Just disappointed really.

But he doesn't do the solos. He keeps pulling out, or it's not long enough or with half the passion we know he has. Maybe live after a few JD's he'll go epic.

And when it does reach it's potential (imo) it's not on a song. It's Safari Inn. I don't know how much Slash even cares when it comes to writing a good song. I think it's maybe less then he cares about the riffs and solos and most of the time he's not even that inspired. But he didn't lose that primal voodoo ability to improvise something amazing when he's inspired or write a good riff. It's just so frustrating as a hardcore Slash fan to know that he's so limited as a musician. Not just with how strict he is nowdays with the way he creates which must be very basic and short and kinda his way, and also the type of music he makes is not profound in anyway. It's not carefully put together and ponders the musical questions here. It's let's take your balls off with Slash's guitar. But he doesn't do that very often in the studio. I'm just thinking what he did in the past, in Guns, and what he's doing for the last 15 years. I love the riffs and some of the solos on World On Fire. I've lowered my expectations after AL and it could have been worse. I just wish someone will tell Slash what to do. No one would in the studio, and when Elvis insisted on recording more takes to solos, they've improved. Not as sloppy, better structure, and sound a little bit more inspired. Riffs he doesn't have a problem with. Never did. But there's no one there to challenge Slash musically and not musically. The band is there to make him shine the way he wants to. That's more like a solo thing imo. That doesn't work as good for Slash. Slash was born to play in a band. In a real band where you don't hold all the power.

Axl is better at being a leader of a band but it's in slow motion. Slash is better when he doesn't need to think about the song. You just give him a good song to play something amazing over. Or he comes up with a riff that good songwriters can turn into a song and then you bring it back to Slash to make it better.

Just a thought, but Slash should have played on Chinese. Axl was asking too much. Why public apology? it's insane even if Slash should have, there was no way a man with a penis would have agreed. Fuck that.

But if it did happen, I imagine 3 brilliant Slash solos on Chinese. The songs were there. So it's Slash limited but also more focused now on just 3 songs. Probably not even riffs so just lead breaks and solos. I think in those conditions, Slash could have been pushed to write Guns quality solos.

Robin and Bucket did a great job in the studio, but Slash on 3 or 4 tunes? yeah why not. Too bad they're so childish. Sometimes you just wanna hear that voice with that guitar and not the old material but you can't.

Edited by Rovim

I'm really thinking of at certain points it looks like its time for it to explode musically but it never does. But it just keeps looping around. There's no feeling of momentum. At the end there's a short burst of fire. But I always feel disappointed it doesn't go all out like Coma.

There's just a feeling of being held back, why not let loose?

It's still all right, personal preferences. I just know i won't go back to it that often.

It's in my top 4-5 tracks on the album.

Savage Sun sounds badass but what it's about confused me. It sounds like a song to go hunting elephants to. The PC thing lost me. Just rack out the lines.

Unholy is about the priest sex abuse scandals; savage sun is an anti poaching theme around endangered species in Africa and about

You're favorite part of the CD bores the shit out of me but agree no one's h afd a classic since the old band. Though I'd say slash's solo stuff gets a better reception lice than the CD stuff

You're favorite part of the CD bores the shit out of me but agree no one's h afd a classic since the old band. Though I'd say slash's solo stuff gets a better reception lice than the CD stuff

Of course and it always will.

Slash is friend with everyone and is great at doing promo, interviews and press. You can't find a single journalist who hates Slash.

On the other hand Axl lives like a recluse, does not do any press, does not even promote his own record and is massively considered the one and only reason why classic GnR broke up.

It's not a criticism because doing good promo and pertaining good relation with the press is a huge part of a musician's job nowadays. And Slash does it very well, and he gets very good reviews and good treatments from magazines, blogs and press in general.

Let's be honest, 90% of the world is massively pro-Slash. Slash could record himself farting in an elevator and release it as a single, people would still say that it sounds better that Prostitute or Catcher in the Rhye.

pockets just heard the new slash album for free

and pockets says mr. kennedy is no axl on chinese

and pockets says there isn't one slash guitar lick on this that equals or tops buckethead's or robin finck's Chinese work on songs like Chinese democracy, better, street of dreams, if the world, twat, this I love, and prostitute

and pockets says world on fire is no chinese

And when it does reach it's potential (imo) it's not on a song. It's Safari Inn. I don't know how much Slash even cares when it comes to writing a good song. I think it's maybe less then he cares about the riffs and solos and most of the time he's not even that inspired. But he didn't lose that primal voodoo ability to improvise something amazing when he's inspired or write a good riff. It's just so frustrating as a hardcore Slash fan to know that he's so limited as a musician. Not just with how strict he is nowdays with the way he creates which must be very basic and short and kinda his way, and also the type of music he makes is not profound in anyway. It's not carefully put together and ponders the musical questions here. It's let's take your balls off with Slash's guitar. But he doesn't do that very often in the studio. I'm just thinking what he did in the past, in Guns, and what he's doing for the last 15 years. I love the riffs and some of the solos on World On Fire. I've lowered my expectations after AL and it could have been worse. I just wish someone will tell Slash what to do. No one would in the studio, and when Elvis insisted on recording more takes to solos, they've improved. Not as sloppy, better structure, and sound a little bit more inspired. Riffs he doesn't have a problem with. Never did. But there's no one there to challenge Slash musically and not musically. The band is there to make him shine the way he wants to. That's more like a solo thing imo. That doesn't work as good for Slash. Slash was born to play in a band. In a real band where you don't hold all the power.

Axl is better at being a leader of a band but it's in slow motion. Slash is better when he doesn't need to think about the song. You just give him a good song to play something amazing over. Or he comes up with a riff that good songwriters can turn into a song and then you bring it back to Slash to make it better.

Just a thought, but Slash should have played on Chinese. Axl was asking too much. Why public apology? it's insane even if Slash should have, there was no way a man with a penis would have agreed. Fuck that.

But if it did happen, I imagine 3 brilliant Slash solos on Chinese. The songs were there. So it's Slash limited but also more focused now on just 3 songs. Probably not even riffs so just lead breaks and solos. I think in those conditions, Slash could have been pushed to write Guns quality solos.

Robin and Bucket did a great job in the studio, but Slash on 3 or 4 tunes? yeah why not. Too bad they're so childish. Sometimes you just wanna hear that voice with that guitar and not the old material but you can't.

There are some cool stuff that comes of Slash going commando though. Like a couple of times he's just carrying that first riff way longer than I've ever heard on any hair metal band. That's kind of heavy and awesome. Filler tracks are rock n roll too, like on Thunderstruck there's Shot of Love and Let's Make It. Maybe even Got you by the Balls is like an attempt at something bigger and better but it failed but it's still okay. Like Dirty Girl.

It reminds me of when Slash did that solo too long for MJ live. He's just loving it.

Of course Slash should be in Guns, it's utter madness I tell you. but he just wanted to have a good time. It's like Joe Perry having a solo career and die hard Aerosmith fans caring. Keef, Page, Perry, May, Slash. Best stuff in the bands.

I guess Slash could be like the new Ozzy. He's having that high profile solo career.

• Like 1

Of course and it always will.

Slash is friend with everyone and is great at doing promo, interviews and press. You can't find a single journalist who hates Slash.

On the other hand Axl lives like a recluse, does not do any press, does not even promote his own record and is massively considered the one and only reason why classic GnR broke up.

It's not a criticism because doing good promo and pertaining good relation with the press is a huge part of a musician's job nowadays. And Slash does it very well, and he gets very good reviews and good treatments from magazines, blogs and press in general.

Let's be honest, 90% of the world is massively pro-Slash. Slash could record himself farting in an elevator and release it as a single, people would still say that it sounds better that Prostitute or Catcher in the Rhye.

promotion and a friendly relationship with the media have nothing to do with a gut crowd reaction to the opening notes of anastasia or back from cali, or by the sword, or slither or starlight or any number of songs

people at guns shows only get revved up for the AFD and UYI stuff -- not so much on the democracy

as for people likeing slash, it helps to not treat people like assholes

• Like 1