Star Wars-The Force Awakens Thread (Contains Spoilers)

Georgy Zhukov

I don't get it, the majority of the EU sucks. The material still exists and people can always enjoy it. Its not like they are taking all EU material forcibly from your homes and burning it, it is all there! Just like the Ultimate Marvel Universe, rebooted movies, etc.

Did people really expect them to pick up from the EU with VII? That makes zero sense and would make a confusing, shitty, and pointless movie

• Like 2

I think Wookieepedia is pissed. Here's the quote of the day.

"People who alter or destroy works of art and our cultural heritage for profit or as an exercise of power are barbarians [...]."

―George Lucas in 1988

If only he'd taken his own advice ........

Meh. I enjoyed the prequels and most of the changes he's made between 1997-2011 don't really bother me.

2%2BHan%2BShot%2BFirst.jpg

I don't get it, the majority of the EU sucks. The material still exists and people can always enjoy it. Its not like they are taking all EU material forcibly from your homes and burning it, it is all there! Just like the Ultimate Marvel Universe, rebooted movies, etc.

Did people really expect them to pick up from the EU with VII? That makes zero sense and would make a confusing, shitty, and pointless movie

Some fandoms complain about everything. In the Dr Who 50th Anniversary special they brought back David Tennant but fans complained when they saw him in costume as his hair wasn't right and his suit looked tighter as he gained weight :lol:

I agree...

The only true cannon for any film series should be the films (even counting the attack of the clones cartoon is pushing it imo). I realize that some people are going to be fans of the expanded universe, but really they are all just bluffing. Do you really think any serious SW nerd is gonna stop being a fan all the sudden? They can't do it, it's their addiction. Besides what if the next film turns out to be awesome? IMO Disney can't really do much worse than episodes 1 and 2 anyways (I love episode 3 btw, it is on par with 4,5,6, imo.)

I agree...

The only true cannon for any film series should be the films (even counting the attack of the clones cartoon is pushing it imo). I realize that some people are going to be fans of the expanded universe, but really they are all just bluffing. Do you really think any serious SW nerd is gonna stop being a fan all the sudden? They can't do it, it's their addiction. Besides what if the next film turns out to be awesome? IMO Disney can't really do much worse than episodes 1 and 2 anyways (I love episode 3 btw, it is on par with 4,5,6, imo.)

I haven't seen the prequels in a while, I remember thinking ep. 3 was pretty good.... up until Lucas decided to have Vader scream "nooooooooooooooooooooooooo!" like a 5 year old who's lost their toy at the end. I'll have to rewatch them in preparation for the new movies, I'm not too confident in Disney, but we'll see. I don't care much about them declaring post ROTJ stuff non-canon, but I think it's a big mistake to fuck with the history of the SW universe, not only did a lot of work go into constructing it, but a lot of it is really interesting (unlike the post-ROTJ EU stuff). Not only that, but I'm afraid that Disney isn't going to care enough to replace SW history with their own version, so the SW universe will be reduced to 9 two hour movies...... although that may sound like a lot, it pales in comparison to the material that exists in reality.

I have successfully deployed the cupcake probe to theforce.net forums....

piq_69976_400x400.png

Thank you for putting the final nail in the coffin for those of us who have been loyal diehard fans of the EU. It seems fitting that the last blow would prove to be the most painful, hitting us right in the heart with the cruelest of timing.

I am literally in pain right now after your decision.

Not because you have wiped out 20 years of my time and money but because of what you forced me to do last night,

Now that the EU is all but worthless like a discarded lover, I took the decision to similarly cast it out of my life.

I burned EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF EU MEMORABILIA I OWN

TO WIT:

Signed first editons of the THRAWN TRILOGY

A signed copy of Splinter of the Minds Eye

A mint copy of The Keeper's World

etc etc

It's all a charred heap in my backyard now just like my dreams of seeing these characters on film.

I'll never set foot in a cinema again to see a Star Wars movie. It's dead to me.

Edited by Facekicker
  • Like 3

I have successfully deployed the cupcake probe to theforce.net forums....

piq_69976_400x400.png

Thank you for putting the final nail in the coffin for those of us who have been loyal diehard fans of the EU. It seems fitting that the last blow would prove to be the most painful, hitting us right in the heart with the cruelest of timing.

I am literally in pain right now after your decision.

Not because you have wiped out 20 years of my time and money but because of what you forced me to do last night,

Now that the EU is all but worthless like a discarded lover, I took the decision to similarly cast it out of my life.

I burned EVERY SINGLE PIECE OF EU MEMORABILIA I OWN

TO WIT:

Signed first editons of the THRAWN TRILOGY

A signed copy of Splinter of the Minds Eye

A mint copy of The Keeper's World

etc etc

It's all a charred heap in my backyard now just like my dreams of seeing these characters on film.

I'll never set foot in a cinema again to see a Star Wars movie. It's dead to me.

:rofl-lol:

I am slightly sympathetic here. As a stranger to Star Wars nerdom, but no stranger to nerdom in general (I am something of an old school Trekkie), you buy the fucking things and suddenly somebody goes, ''that does not count: it is fiction.''.

I've bought tons of it over the years. But I don't mind because those stories will always be there. These movies NEED to be something new. Who really wants Dark Empire or Thrawn adaptations? There's no excitment there. And a confusing sequel to the EU where monster Vong bug aliens attacked, Chewie died by moon, Han and Leia had grown of kids (one of which turned evil and another died), and many other insane stories.

It would just be the single clusterfuck in movie history. I totally get why die hards are upset, but they are the minority. I am a major Star Wars fan, and no movie in history is exciting me like VII, but I am thrilled it is a new story.

• Like 1

Well the quality of the work is subjective.

Look at it from the creators' point of view, the comic book artists, game designers and novelists: you spend time creating something, emotionally investing in it etc, on the understanding that you were creating something which would belong to the Star Wars universe. Then suddenly some wanker comes along and goes, ''actually, we have changed our minds: your work is not canon.''

The thing is though, it was never canon.

Not even the thoroughly licenced Lucasfilm video games, or the Ewoks films as written by George Lucas?

GL always said that his 6 cinemtaic films were the true canon and everything else was kinda "secondary" canon. He said that he always saw it as an alternate universe where he could just pick and choose things. And now that's more clear than ever.

• Like 1

It's done. The cast is announced

http://www.theforce.net/story/front/Disney_Announces_The_Cast_Of_Star_Wars_Episode_VII_157675.asp

• Harrison Ford
  • Carrie Fisher
  • Mark Hamill
  • Anthony Daniels
  • Peter Mayhew
  • Kenny Baker
  • Jonh Boyega
  • Daisy Ridley
  • Adam Driver
  • Oscar Isaac
  • Andy Serkis
  • Domhnall Gleeson