Most embarrassing moment for Axl with newGnR?

gunnari

Most embarrassing moment?  

82 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

And really, that's the last most ever saw of him.

Do you run into a lot of people that talk about Rock In Rio 2011? Or even know there was such a thing?

You're not wrong here. Axl's 2008 disappearing act, lack of video(s) or even a band-promoted single cemented the 2002 VMA's as the last time GNR did literally anything worthwhile publicly....And, to put it mildly, it left much to be desired.

Nowadays, those who are actually aware that Slash is not in the band are certain that Buckethead is still around...10 years after he quit. Shows that performance kinda cemented what NuGNR is to anyone who gives half a fuck in 2013.

Edited by sofine11

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, mothafuckin, NO moment. Not to me, at least. I was JUST watching the bridge school/don't let it get you down vid, and realized that, ok, even if it wasn't one of Axl's best nights, he still looked cool as motherfuckin FUCK up there haha. The way he moves around & owns the stage, the cool clothes he wears, the bling, etc. Same goes for 2002 VMAs/tour, 2011 tour, 2012 shows, AFD Vegas. While I wasn't at Rio or Bridge School, I'm sure that I still would have been just as entranced by the guy's coolness as I have been at every show I've seen. So yeah, none.

Rio is made out to be a lot worse than it was. The footage used in that video comes from the worst-of-the-worst moments, but I watched most of it recently and it was better than I expected (given the shit storm around it).

He forgot lyrics to songs he wrote himself...he wore a yellow raincoat.

I rest my case. You can't make that worse Axl looked bad enough..

Rio is made out to be a lot worse than it was. The footage used in that video comes from the worst-of-the-worst moments, but I watched most of it recently and it was better than I expected (given the shit storm around it).

Barring the mickey voice, a mobile Axl, dressed in the way we expect (though i actually love the absurd raincoat) and not forgetting the lyrics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUFhu168fbs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3YBu0ho22Ts

As far as I can tell, whoever made the "AXL ROSE DISASTER" video from Rio '11 selected the most outrageously bad clips to make the show (and Axl) look far worse than it was. Don't get me wrong though, it was far from perfect, but nowhere near the atrocity people pretend it to be.

Edited by BangoSkank
  • Like 2

Here is the problem with that. In his prime, he wore white bicycle shorts, kilts and a catcher's chest protector.

This is one of those criticisms I don't find credible. Too many times I see people ripping him now for shit he did back in the day, when no one seemed to have a problem. Now the band breaks up, and people are suddenly outraged? Nah, not credible.

• Like 1

2002 VMA's, because first impressions are crucial and that was one hell of a first impression people got of Axl's vocal state.

RIR 2011 was cringeworthy and very odd but I don't think it was as much of a huge thing compared to the VMA's.

Here is the problem with that. In his prime, he wore white bicycle shorts, kilts and a catcher's chest protector.

This is one of those criticisms I don't find credible. Too many times I see people ripping him now for shit he did back in the day, when no one seemed to have a problem. Now the band breaks up, and people are suddenly outraged? Nah, not credible.

Well we didn´t have forums in the 80s and early 90s to vent our opinions on Axl clothing. But at least in those days we had the real GN´R. So I could turn a blind eye on his kilt or bicycle shorts. I´m glad he wears jeans now. In my opinion he looked great in leather pants back in the late 80s. He can´t wear those now because he needs to lose 30 pounds or more in the first place.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say, mothafuckin, NO moment. Not to me, at least. I was JUST watching the bridge school/don't let it get you down vid, and realized that, ok, even if it wasn't one of Axl's best nights, he still looked cool as motherfuckin FUCK up there haha. The way he moves around & owns the stage, the cool clothes he wears, the bling, etc. Same goes for 2002 VMAs/tour, 2011 tour, 2012 shows, AFD Vegas. While I wasn't at Rio or Bridge School, I'm sure that I still would have been just as entranced by the guy's coolness as I have been at every show I've seen. So yeah, none.

Is this satire?

Surely the voice and performance are more important to you than how a singer looks or dances on stage.

Right?

• Like 1

In thinking about it further, the people making a case for the VMAs are doing a good job. Just the amount of people that saw it alone seems to put it in the #1 spot.

You almost have to go with that one simply because it had a huge audience that wasn't solely based around GnR fans.

I was having a fantasy football draft at my house during the VMA's. So there were 11 other guys and their wives/gfs, plus some kids. And we stopped the draft so we all could watch the performance. And afterwards, I got harassed the entire rest of the draft because of how bad it was. These were rock n roll fans, not GnR die-hards. I bet that performance caused several people in the room to not buy the album.

Is this satire?

Surely the voice and performance are more important to you than how a singer looks or dances on stage.

Right?

No, no, not at all. Like, what I'm saying is that, while I acknowledge the fact that Axl might not have been on his best game, vocally during these performances, he still, as a front man, was entertaining as always. Take the VMAs for example: regardless of how you thought he sounded vocally, were you not pretty excited to just be seeing it? Even Rio. How amazing was it to see them back on stage, rocking, and then all of a sudden, "When you're talkin' to yourself..." from out of nowhere. Things like that count heavily in my book.

The embarrassment started w/ the VMA and then Exerted to RIR and bridge school. It's a shame some of Axl worse performances have been captured by large audiences and some of his best go unnoticed.

Go unnoticed? They don't exist.

Its not a coincidence that the worst performances are captured for a large audience. As usual, no one is out to get Axl. Every single chance he's been given to a wide audience has been completely his fault. He's suck for nearly all of them.

Also, just to answer the question at hand, its not even a contest. VMAs hands motherfucking down. No one cared then, and Axl confirmed they shouldn't with that performance. Any inch of momentum he had then was shattered that night. Its actually amazing to think how much that one night really cost them. Because honestly, all the other stuff thats happened since has gone unseen by many. Rock In Rio stuff? Come on, not many around the world are really watching that. The VMAs is the biggest media thing New GNR has done, and it sucked right out of the gate. That moment was his Nixon-Kennedy moment. The TV cameras are ultimately what brought this new band down.

Haha, hard to pick one, cuz Axl made so much mistakes with his new bands...

anyway i would say bridge school or RIR 2011

On 2002 VMA's he still got energy, but his voice fucked up

Axl having to shit during the Brooklyn Bowl show.

At least he didn't leave the show half-way through like Beiber did a few nights ago in Argentina.
you follow that little shit's concerts?

lolocaust

Everyone does off shows, so ok Bridgeschool and RIR2011 werent top notch, but hey that happens.

But if you want embarrassing, I have to choose RnR hall of fame, Axls letter I mean to me it was just childish, stupid and overwhelmingly embarrassing with the "I do not want this", "do not say my name" etc sad stupid stuff. I never thought that they would reunite there, but that was sad, so sad. I could have understood that he did not want to go there as well, but that letter... A short blunt letter in the lines of "Hi all. Sorry, but I did not want to participate to this event. But thank you anyways. WAR" would have been a ton more stylish than the train wreck he probably wrote with Beta in the Jacuzzi.

Edited by Teroz

In thinking about it further, the people making a case for the VMAs are doing a good job. Just the amount of people that saw it alone seems to put it in the #1 spot.

No doubt.

That got monster exposure. People were talking about it in mainstream news the week after.

"Man, did you see Axl at that Bridge School deal" is not a thing. That has never been said outside these forums, where opinions have been settled for 10 years.