Chinese Democracy may become the most underrated album in history.

Ace Nova

It isn't that good an album. It's okay for sure but very awkward and bloated at places. 1/3 of the songs are great, 1/2 of the songs are shit. It was the most anticipated album ever. That is so much more than it ever deserved.

Edited by LTD

This is the shit that is ridiculous about some GNR fans. Can't you just be happy that YOU like the album? Accept that most people don't care. Accept that most people will never care. Accept that most people will never consider CD an important album of any kind. Accept that that's OK and that people aren't wrong or "underrating" the album just because you like it. Just be thankful you have music you enjoy. Get the fuck over it, people.

It's not that I don't accept that many people don't like it. Frankly I don't even care. BUT despite all of that, I do believe that CD is underrated and in the future a whole lotta more people will love it and admit that they love it. I do believe the album will get way more recognition in the future, even though I don't really care what other people think of it.

It's a different thing to believe in something and to care about something. You get the point?

This is the shit that is ridiculous about some GNR fans. Can't you just be happy that YOU like the album? Accept that most people don't care. Accept that most people will never care. Accept that most people will never consider CD an important album of any kind. Accept that that's OK and that people aren't wrong or "underrating" the album just because you like it. Just be thankful you have music you enjoy. Get the fuck over it, people.

It's not that I don't accept that many people don't like it. Frankly I don't even care. BUT despite all of that, I do believe that CD is underrated and in the future a whole lotta more people will love it and admit that they love it. I do believe the album will get way more recognition in the future, even though I don't really care what other people think of it.

It's a different thing to believe in something and to care about something. You get the point?

I get the distinction you're making, I just think you're lying to yourself. I think you like the album and are trying to justify how highly you esteem it by making up a story about how it's underappreciated by the masses. We all do shit like this, but it's better to be self aware and realize it's probably just your own biases speaking.

I get the distinction you're making, I just think you're lying to yourself. I think you like the album and are trying to justify how highly you esteem it by making up a story about how it's underappreciated by the masses. We all do shit like this, but it's better to be self aware and realize it's probably just your own biases speaking.

During one of my music nights recently, I busted out the CD vinyl to play Sorry. Just for myself, I just wanted to hear it. There were about 10 or so people in the room and one of them looked up like half way through and said "Wait. Is this Guns N' Roses? What album is this? This song is sweet". If this had happened a couple of years ago, I know myself well enough to know that I would have gone on and on about how great the album is. Since that time, I've come to settle in more of a place where I'm happy with it and I don't need to sell others on it. So I just said "Yeah, this is from Chinese Democracy" and he just said "Oh cool. I never got around to listening to it".

He may have liked Sorry but who knows how he'd feel about Prostitute, IRS or whatever else. Another friend surprised me by requesting Better so I played that as well and everyone liked it. I moved on to the next artist/album after that though. Like I said, years ago I would have played the whole thing and went on about how much they should like it. In the time since, I've become a lot more comfortable with the overall popularity of it and I don't feel the need to sell others on it anymore.

agreed

you could just accept my opinion as just my opinion. Its just not black n white.

It wasn't underrated because it got a fair amount of promotion and critics were very positive about it. Even though Interscope did a shabby job promoting it, there was still an ad campaign.

There's a lot of reasons why it didn't sell well, and it comes down to:

Azoff taking the highest bidder

People unable to get the music as a digital download.

Myspace streaming it took the curiosity factor out of the album.

Axl didn't make the late night talk show rounds when it was critical to the album sales. We know he was scrambling for a guitarist, but he was working (salvaging) the "Better" video?

They go by presales as far as anticipating how an album is going to do the day of release.

It's not the most underrated album of all time. It was #1 in a lot of countries. Is it an under appreciated album? Yes, but the GNR legacy, the success of AFD, the delays, the instability of the musicians, Axl wanting all the glory, and especially the Axl vs Slash debate diminished it. MySpace made people go "meh" when they first heard it, but it's an album meant for the car and for headphones, not for your computer speakers (unless you're a gamer....).

CD is certainly under rated. Maybe not all time classic but under rated. It's interesting music and first time up full of surprises which is what I want as a fan. It has a few great tracks on it too twat/maddy/prostitute. Love AFD and UYI but an attempt to reproduce them would be boring. Wish was released earlier with singles and videos properly pushed but it wasn't.

• Like 1

It really is an excellent record.....a classic in my book.

If only Axl......if only......

I'm not gonna go any further.....just' sayin'....

So you post the demo of chinese democracy rather than the final version?

:P I'm thinking this thread is an attempt at trolling..

• Like 1

I think its more the politics of CD than music, it just rubs them up the wrong way.

A lot of people are pissed that it isn't the original lineup. Those people are morons. The fact Slash isn't on this album doesn't mean shit.

During one of my music nights recently, I busted out the CD vinyl to play Sorry. Just for myself, I just wanted to hear it. There were about 10 or so people in the room and one of them looked up like half way through and said "Wait. Is this Guns N' Roses? What album is this? This song is sweet". If this had happened a couple of years ago, I know myself well enough to know that I would have gone on and on about how great the album is. Since that time, I've come to settle in more of a place where I'm happy with it and I don't need to sell others on it. So I just said "Yeah, this is from Chinese Democracy" and he just said "Oh cool. I never got around to listening to it".

He may have liked Sorry but who knows how he'd feel about Prostitute, IRS or whatever else. Another friend surprised me by requesting Better so I played that as well and everyone liked it. I moved on to the next artist/album after that though. Like I said, years ago I would have played the whole thing and went on about how much they should like it. In the time since, I've become a lot more comfortable with the overall popularity of it and I don't feel the need to sell others on it anymore.

This post makes the best case that CD is underrated. This post more importantly makes the case that the album never got the credit it deserved or the time of day. Trying to sell others on it may be pointless, but it still doesn't decide that the album is an excellent one that Axl could have done damage with.

• Like 2

CD certainly deserved more exposure and sales than it originally received but, 'most underated album in history'? Nah. I can think of tons more albums more worthy of that accolade. Try the Stones' Goats Head Soup and Queen's Jazz for starters.

Exposure is a better point than my original one. Russ posted that he had friends who had never heard the album but liked it when they heard songs he played for them. Maybe they would have bought the album when it came out and record sales would have been higher?

And the underrated part sure I'll give that to you...even Rolling Stone gave it a good review and they're tough to please.

Exposure is a better point than my original one. Russ posted that he had friends who had never heard the album but liked it when they heard songs he played for them. Maybe they would have bought the album when it came out and record sales would have been higher?

And on the flip side, I am sure many people that bought the album just because of the GNR label and the album's hype probably wish they hadn't. It goes both ways.

There isn't some mystical obstacle that prevented the album from being "appreciated." Maybe it's JUST NOT GOOD

If you really want a problem to exist with ChiDem, it's not that it's underrated. It's not rated at all, nobody cares about it. And why would you blame them? It's not that good. It's not a rock milestone, in this Universe or any other.

And on the flip side, I am sure many people that bought the album just because of the GNR label and the album's hype probably wish they hadn't. It goes both ways.

There isn't some mystical obstacle that prevented the album from being "appreciated." Maybe it's JUST NOT GOOD

Yeah, but we have no evidence here for that, whereas we do have evidence of people who had no clue the album even came out but liked what they heard.

I love that Slash isn't on the album. Some don't like it, some do. I loved it when it came out and still do.

You do have evidence here for that. People that have bought it say it sucks. People don't naturally buy things even though they suck. They saw GNR and thought it would be good.

Evidence of a couple of friends through heresay is worthy to you but comments in your face do not count? WTF :lol:

i don't know if I would say that it is the most underrated album in history. I think that it is where it should be. It initially sold modestly well and the people who were into it really liked it. It just isn't something that sonically was ever going to take over the world compared to the hype it got

Edited by WhazUp

You do have evidence here for that. People that have bought it say it sucks. People don't naturally buy things even though they suck. They saw GNR and thought it would be good.

Evidence of a couple of friends through heresay is worthy to you but comments in your face do not count? WTF :lol:

Yeah but that's also heresay on your part. You're just as guilty. I'm sure you could buy something and be just as dissapointed, but it's lazy to hate on an album for any reason other than the material itself. It should be irrelevant who plays on it, just how it sounds. I would hope you would be judging based on content.

Yeah and one day Hitler might be considered a nice chap that was just misunderstood.

Maybe if he wore some lip balm then there would be no issue with chap?

Anyways, people like all kinds of stuff and you can't force CD down their throat. I'm just stating that hating the album for how it sounds is fine, hating it because it's not the original band is lazy and pathetic, like Beta's mothering skills.