Red Hot Chili Peppers and Bruno Mars to play the Super Bowl halftime show

bacardimayne

Somebody's bass wasn't plugged in

INolP3S.jpg

Yeah they admitted to air guitaring the performance though you could hardly blame them. Who wants to slap bass strings when it's 35 degrees, raining, and with the pressure of performing in from of 80,000 people and hundreds of millions on tv while having to hit every cue perfectly for the stage lighting and fireworks. Makes a lot more sense to play along with a recorded track. It's not like we need proof that flea can play bass.

I swear anyone who defends them for not being plugged in is a flat out hypocrit cause you know damn well if a band you disliked did the same shit you'd tear them a new one. If U2 did this I'd be disgusted. Thankfully in 2002 when the NFL wanted them to, U2 said no and the NFL gave in and let them perform live. RHCP are way too established an act to be "feeling the pressure" and way too well known for kickass live performances to be faking it at this stage of the game. In my opinion they let down a lot of true music fans. The ones who preach authenticity to the art of music over and over again yet RHCP succumb to the bullshit of fake performances that's become the norm in the industry, and what's even worse is the masses not only accept this shit they actually expect it. In my personal opinion I think it's sucks they did this and it sucks that people care so little about music anymore that they not only accept it but they justify it as well.

Fake or not though at least they booked legit performers for once. Bruno Mars is a great performer and RHCP are a legit act. Maybe the NFL has a new formula to roll with. Combine a genuinely talented pop star with a legit rock band. How about next year for Super Bowl........Foo Fighters and Justin Timberlake

I could totally see the Foo blasting through a rock version of Sexy Back haha and you know Dave Grohl sure as shit won't be bullied into faking the performance.

dave-grohl-justin-timberlake.jpg

Edited by Bono
  • Like 1

Anyways.... still the reigning champs of Super Bowl halftime shows....... U2's was the best ever. Minimal stage production, just a kickass heartfelt performance. The energy and atmosphere is unreal. The crowd is going insane the entire time.

Edited by Bono
  • Like 2

Man not that big a fan of Bruno but then again I really don't digg MJ or most pop acts. Still I can appreciate a dude doing his thing which brings me to say that RHCP looked and at the time played good but now it's just cringe worthy.

Imo U2 had the best SB performance ever but that's just me.

Edited by MEXzilla

I swear anyone who defends them for not being plugged in is a flat out hypocrit cause you know damn well if a band you disliked did the same shit you'd tear them a new one. If U2 did this I'd be disgusted. Thankfully in 2002 when the NFL wanted them to, U2 said no and the NFL gave in and let them perform live. RHCP are way too established an act to be "feeling the pressure" and way too well known for kickass live performances to be faking it at this stage of the game. In my opinion they let down a lot of true music fans. The ones who preach authenticity to the art of music over and over again yet RHCP succumb to the bullshit of fake performances that's become the norm in the industry, and what's even worse is the masses not only accept this shit they actually expect it. In my personal opinion I think it's sucks they did this and it sucks that people care so little about music anymore that they not only accept it but they justify it as well.

Fake or not though at least they booked legit performers for once. Bruno Mars is a great performer and RHCP are a legit act. Maybe the NFL has a new formula to roll with. Combine a genuinely talented pop star with a legit rock band. How about next year for Super Bowl........Foo Fighters and Justin Timberlake

I could totally see the Foo blasting through a rock version of Sexy Back haha and you know Dave Grohl sure as shit won't be bullied into faking the performance.

dave-grohl-justin-timberlake.jpg

Or maybe a realistic person would understand that the show is more about spectacle, and a poor performance would take the audience out of the spectacle, therefore having a recorded track cued with the light show and fireworks perfectly would make it unlikely for any mistakes to happen and thus the purpose of the show be fulfilled. Good luck finding a band that *hasn't* mimed at some point.

Do you think bands are actually playing in music videos?

edit: dave grohl's Jaw/chin has been disappearing for years. I think it's gone now.

Edited by TeeJay410

Or maybe a realistic person would understand that the show is more about spectacle, and a poor performance would take the audience out of the spectacle, therefore having a recorded track cued with the light show and fireworks perfectly would make it unlikely for any mistakes to happen and thus the purpose of the show be fulfilled. Good luck finding a band that *hasn't* mimed at some point.

edit: dave grohl's Jaw/chin has been disappearing for years. I think it's gone now.

Your comment about music videos is actually incredibly stupid and basically turned me right off replying to what you had said above it. This wasn't a music video. This was a live performance but thanks for your completely irrelevant comment.

Edited by Bono

Your comment about music videos is actually incredibly stupid and basically turned me right off replying to what you had said above it. This wasn't a music video. This was a live performance but thanks for your completely irrelevant comment.

It's extremely relevant. The performance is more like a music video than an actual performance. It's all about the spectacle, and to maintain the spectacle, they cant risk the sound or the band fucking up which by the way, even if they're seasoned veterans, human beings can screw up. From the NFL's perspective it's better to not even take that risk. They've been doing this sort of thing for decades and more likely than not one of your favorite bands has done it three times over.

Yeah, the half time show is not really a concert, it is an entertainment spectacle to keep viewers interested. Take that as you may, it is what it is

This.

The halftime show, and really the Super Bowl, are all about non-football fans. Women, foodies, and social media play byplay has killed it for me..

Championship weekend is where the true excitement is!

Yeah, the half time show is not really a concert, it is an entertainment spectacle to keep viewers interested. Take that as you may, it is what it is

This.

The halftime show, and really the Super Bowl, are all about non-football fans. Women, foodies, and social media play byplay has killed it for me..

Championship weekend is where the true excitement is!

Hate to say it but I agree. My gf and our female friend always just care about commercials, the half time show (when it is rap or pop), and shit that trends on twitter or whatever. Its sad, really. The football part of the game is still fun for me, at least. I remember when I was a kid in the 90s, it still had the kookie commercials and all that, but the focus was on the game. Now it seems a bit like more of a circus to draw in women, kids, and the social media crowd.

Edited by ZoSoRose

The sport itself is a boring, plodding, start-stop snoozefest. Of course people are gonna care more about the halftime show and the commercials. Only baseball is a more boring sport to watch.

If people don't like NFL then they shouldn't watch. I don't like American Idol so I don't watch it.

Weather was a possible factor. First outdoor SuperBowl in a cold weather city. They lucked out because it didn't start snowing til the morning, they got 6 inches. If it was in a dome or in Souther California, they may have played live.

It's extremely relevant. The performance is more like a music video than an actual performance. It's all about the spectacle, and to maintain the spectacle, they cant risk the sound or the band fucking up which by the way, even if they're seasoned veterans, human beings can screw up. From the NFL's perspective it's better to not even take that risk. They've been doing this sort of thing for decades and more likely than not one of your favorite bands has done it three times over.

Even Queen (who hated miming) did it at a few concerts (like a four/five song performance) in Montreux because they were told they had to.

I remember when it used to be people like Prince, Bruce Springsteen and Michael Jackson doing the halftime show.

Bruno fucking Mars??? Desperate times....

THIS is what you got at Super Bowl halftime, and this was one of the first times they had "rock" acts...same year GNR made it big.

Maybe they should just bring this back. This was the norm for Super Bowl halftime.