April 23rd, 2014 - Golden Gods - Los Angeles, CA - Axl receives "Ronnie James Dio Lifetime Achievement Award"

Axl really seemed to be going for rasp in places, but unfortunately ended up mostly Mickey.

Terrible setlist decision with Better followed by TIL by YCBM. I love all those songs but it's murder for Axl to sing those 3 in a row with no break. When I heard Better, I thought, "Yes, he's a bit breathy, but he's pulling it off for the most part." Then when they went straight into TIL, before Axl even sang the first note I thought, "Uh-oh". Missing a verse was inevitable. YCBM was suicide. Axl still managed some rasp in the breakdown, though, good on him.

As loathe as I am to defend DJ, the SCOM intro sounds like he got handed a guitar that was tuned incorrectly. All his other mistakes are inexcusable, though. Please, please, please fire him. Bring back Finck, Slash, settle for Fortus and Bumble, anything other than having him in the band.

Did Axl wear a Pharrell hat as a nod to comments on the forum?

There were a handful of moments I was happy to see flashes of the old Axl, and I was reminded of why I'm a fan. But the rest was heartbreaking. It shows how low standards have gotten on this forum that people say it wasn't a disaster. This will complete the Axl Rose Disaster Trilogy on YouTube, as much as it pains me :( I'm guessing for the 90min broadcast Better and TIL will be cut, for the best in the case of the latter.

The big KOHD scream was pretty good.

Nicolas Cage was the highlight of my evening. Thank you, Nicolas Cage, One True God.

axl gave it a good go for sure, you could see he was trying.

i enjoyed some of it. i didn't think better was good at all, and i do like the song.

great to see frank grooving a lot.

i guess it's downhill until retirement unless axl can get his voice together.....

I figured either he bent the guitar so far out of tune with his horrific bends or he grabbed one tuned wrong. I'd have to hear it again and see if he comes back with the same guitar.

I'm watching Universal City, CA 2006 right now. This Axl would've destroyed. To me, best Axl since the 80s in appearance and voice.

• Like 1

It wouldn't be so bad if Axl just would come right out and say,"Hey look,I don't sound the same as I used to. So ya either gonna love me or hate me. Live And Let Die Mother Fuckers!!!!!!!"

Cause otherwise,it seems as if he doesn't even acknowledge that he doesn't sound good.

Edited by SweetRose

hmmmm he snubs the Hall of Fame..but goes on this shit show...and does a meh performance. I dont know.. but it seems like Axl needs a whole new set of songs.. he dont have that fire in the belly to make the classics work anymore.. he aint sell ing the sizzle.. but and more important to note... hes laughing all the way to the bank still... goes to show you that quality dont matter anymore. Even the shittiest of shows back in the day had a charm... cuz its only rock and roll.. but theres just a flavor of sadness ...not because he cant hit the pitch but that he doesnt try.

Id push Ashabas head into a speaker if I was Axl.. or demote him to waterboy or spotlight holder or something. That fucker simply cant play SCOM.. or any other GNR song for that matter.

• Like 1

I thought they killed it. Great show.

Heavens Door was the highlight. Fortus was on fire. It was so delicate and beautiful.

Axl's vocal does sound weak in parts but for the most part it worked.

Did anyone else see Lou Diamond Phillips in the audience?

• Like 1

FFS, I've been here for a short while. I got into arguments with Nosaj Thing and magisme, I've defended Axl performance in SA shows. I actually think he did great in Fortaleza last week.

There is no way this was a remotely good performance. It was horrible. Everything was in line for a statement performance: bands before them were shit, the crowd was fired up to see them, it was livestreamed. The result was horrible. If he sang well, without rasp, just like he did on the latest SA shows, it could have been a statement. Instead, it was a reminder for the casual fan that GNR is dead. Weak voice, winded, lackluster perfomance no matter how you look at it. The worst of 2014 so far, even Axl himself seemed to acknowledge that with his body language at many points. It was bad, particularly bad for the band at this point, it's a death sentence. It will take 2010 level performances to rebound from that in the eyes of mainstream media, and let's be realistic, those aren't happening ever again. It was bad. It was really bad.

And DJ Ashba...fucking DJ Ashba...regardless of friendship, if my best frient worked for me and had such a performance I'd fire him on sight, at the very least to preserve the friendship. He is just not good enough to be a guitar player for GNR. You don't play in GNR and fuck up the starting reef of Sweet Child O'Mine. It's like the pope flashing his penis at the christmas eve mass.

• Like 1

What u just watched was a TV taping. What will actually be shown is probably 2 or 3 songs...Jungle, Better, SCOM, or Paradise. The fact that they played for an hour is a testament to the fact this band actually cares about the Guns fans that paid hundreds of dollars to come see this awards show. The fact that Dice Clay and Nick Cage introduced them instead of Dookie followed by a real set is further proof of Axl doing it "My Way" and not being used by the RRHOF to try and get ratings or trend on twitter by forcing him to do something.

• Like 2

Perhaps DJ and other's have clauses in their contracts that they suffer severe monetary consequences if they leave, so he's attempting to get tossed out? Maybe Ron as well, but Ron not making a mockery of his performances and choosing other methods....

This is the proof that not the guitar tech mistaken

DJ is an awful player and a stupid poser

Yes, absolutely.

Amir, I get your point - but I dont think we should blame the guitar tech. It has to be on DJ, I seriously doubt the same guitar tech would commit the same mistake twice on livestream shows.

Ron and Rich never had this problem, only DJ goes out of tune. I mean, it's constant... he's constantly out of tune. It is an on going thing :lol:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xErDV32CSos#t=240

Edited by Bruno P.

Axl really seemed to be going for rasp in places, but unfortunately ended up mostly Mickey.

Terrible setlist decision with Better followed by TIL by YCBM. I love all those songs but it's murder for Axl to sing those 3 in a row with no break. When I heard Better, I thought, "Yes, he's a bit breathy, but he's pulling it off for the most part." Then when they went straight into TIL, before Axl even sang the first note I thought, "Uh-oh". Missing a verse was inevitable. YCBM was suicide. Axl still managed some rasp in the breakdown, though, good on him.

As loathe as I am to defend DJ, the SCOM intro sounds like he got handed a guitar that was tuned incorrectly. All his other mistakes are inexcusable, though. Please, please, please fire him. Bring back Finck, Slash, settle for Fortus and Bumble, anything other than having him in the band.

Did Axl wear a Pharrell hat as a nod to comments on the forum?

There were a handful of moments I was happy to see flashes of the old Axl, and I was reminded of why I'm a fan. But the rest was heartbreaking. It shows how low standards have gotten on this forum that people say it wasn't a disaster. This will complete the Axl Rose Disaster Trilogy on YouTube, as much as it pains me :( I'm guessing for the 90min broadcast Better and TIL will be cut, for the best in the case of the latter.

The big KOHD scream was pretty good.

Nicolas Cage was the highlight of my evening. Thank you, Nicolas Cage, One True God.

Amir, as much as I think you are a very reasonable poster, a skilled guitar player would have either stopped playing or adapted to the tone of the song in seconds.

Perhaps DJ and other's have clauses in their contracts that they suffer severe monetary consequences if they leave, so he's attempting to get tossed out? Maybe Ron as well, but Ron not making a mockery of his performances and choosing other methods....

Ron seemed like he was going for it tonight, all or nothing style.

Funny how Richard got Axl's approval out of everyone, he's usually the shy one.

;)

INFINITE REASONS TO LOVE AXL ROSE. Going in my sig.

Amir, as much as I think you are a very reasonable poster, a skilled guitar player would have either stopped playing or adapted to the tone of the song in seconds.

Fair enough, I'm not a guitar player so I don't really know about these things. How feasible is it to adapt quickly?

Hell even a stoned out drunk ass Slash stopped and played it right. Don't recall which song right off. Was it Sweet Child?

And there's one video where the rest of the old band came in too early on Jungle and Slash corrected them. Lol

Edited by SweetRose