Chinese Democracy (the song) Live

I'm not what I would call an expert on bootlegs at all, but I have/have had a shitton of them. That being said, I honestly can't recall a performance of Chinese Democracy the song that has ever struck me as being, rather, good. Great performances of Better, great performances of Shackler's or Street of Dreams, sure, but never Chinese Democracy. There's something about the voice Axl uses on the "even with an iron fist" parts of the song, that tends to not translate too well during certain bits.

I've got favorite performances of mine of every song on CD (except Prostitute, obviously <_< ) except this one and it's bothering me. It's been performed so many times, there's gotta be a standout one somewhere.

So I guess that's my question. Anybody got a great or favorite performance of Chinese Democracy?

The demo was way better for sure from a studio standpoint just like catcher and others were. As far as live... RR3 was awesome and other than that, I don't think it should be a intro song bc Axl doesn't come right out screaming instead almost whispering into the mic.

Edited by wasteofammo

I'm not what I would call an expert on bootlegs at all, but I have/have had a shitton of them. That being said, I honestly can't recall a performance of Chinese Democracy the song that has ever struck me as being, rather, good. Great performances of Better, great performances of Shackler's or Street of Dreams, sure, but never Chinese Democracy. There's something about the voice Axl uses on the "even with an iron fist" parts of the song, that tends to not translate too well during certain bits.

I've got favorite performances of mine of every song on CD (except Prostitute, obviously <_< ) except this one and it's bothering me. It's been performed so many times, there's gotta be a standout one somewhere.

So I guess that's my question. Anybody got a great or favorite performance of Chinese Democracy?

It had kind of a simple grunge vibe when played at Rio 3.

I think by '06 they'd transformed it into a more traditional GN'R track. It's kind of aggressive and riff-y and I like it. It's not their best tune or anything but it's a good straight-up rock tune, and I never really understood all the hate for it, except perhaps that the final studio track is a bit over-produced. But I've gotten used to it.

The album version is the best. For the live performance, the intro is great but once the song starts, those first bars are always a bit of an anti-climax before the song really takes off. Bumble kills it live though! Personally, I wouldn't mind them leaving it off the program and playing Oh My God instead. ;)

It had kind of a simple grunge vibe when played at Rio 3.

I think by '06 they'd transformed it into a more traditional GN'R track. It's kind of aggressive and riff-y and I like it. It's not their best tune or anything but it's a good straight-up rock tune, and I never really understood all the hate for it, except perhaps that the final studio track is a bit over-produced. But I've gotten used to it.

And see, instrumentally, 2006 is probably my favorite rendition. It's weird, everyone always says Axl sounds different live and it's true. When I go to shows, one of my favorite songs of the night is always Chinese Democracy. But later, recordings are kinda iffy. It's never a BAD performance persay, just, not as good as I'd like it to be. People will always complain about CD being overproduced or whatever, but honestly, I like it that way. Every time I listen to the album on something new, be it a new stereo or new earphones, I almost always hear something new that I never noticed before. I think that's cool.

08.17.02 Summer Sonic Festival, Chiba Marine Stadium, Chiba, Japan

Monster performance, heavy and fresh, with lots of rasp.

And BAM. That right there is fucking awesome. I don't know if any other could top it. Thanks, mate!

• Like 1

No matter how good the band sounds or how on-point your singer is, you can't mask a bad song. The one real boring, generic rock song on the album and it's the one Axl has chosen to really feature.

No matter how good the band sounds or how on-point your singer is, you can't mask a bad song. The one real boring, generic rock song on the album and it's the one Axl has chosen to really feature.

You're not wrong about masking a bad song, except CD isn't really what I'd call a bad song. It's nothing earth shattering or anything, but it's far from a bad song. Now, Shotgun Blues on the otherhand...

Axl often sings it in this terrible, dying old man voice. That has to turn off any casual fan paying attention at a concert, like what the fuck.

I LOVE the grungey version they played back in 01/02, with just the bassline and some Pitman noises during the verses.