Why are people crapping on Axl so much these days?

Haven't kept up much on forums and whatnot since like 2010 but people on here are ripping him to shreds. Why? I'm watching this video of Estranged from the 20th and he sounds fine. Slightly mickey mouse-ish but fine nonetheless. Sounds like post 1994 Axl to me :shrug:

I'm fulfilling one of my life-long dreams and seeing them for the first time in May, please don't ruin it for me :ph34r:

• Like 3

Why? Because it's deserved.

See the thread about short-changing fans who bought VIP packages. See the promises of new material, only for that NOT to happen. See Axl's response to GNR's induction to the R&R HOF. See the last four years of stale set lists. See the botched DVD release. See the $150 ticket prices at some of the small venue shows just so Axl doesn't have to cut his guarantee (or cut it by as much as he should).

• Like 3

See the thread about short-changing fans who bought VIP packages. See the promises of new material, only for that NOT to happen. See Axl's response to GNR's induction to the R&R HOF. See the last four years of stale set lists. See the botched DVD release. See the $150 ticket prices at some of the small venue shows just so Axl doesn't have to cut his guarantee (or cut it by as much as he should).

Other than the "promise" of new material, these are all legit beefs.

They have nothing better to do.

They say they are Axl and GNR fans, but all some of you do it bitch about everything and anything Axl does.

Don't you get tired of the same old shit?

Do you not allow for the possibility that some of us hope against all hope and good sense that the situation might improve?

I'd argue the setlist was changed a decent amount before this current tour. 2009-10 was the CD tour proper, and it changed quite a bit throughout 2010 (though more TWAT and Prostitute would have been nice). 2011 to early 2012 saw Civil War and Estranged come back, along with Used to Love Her, You're Crazy, Dead Flowers, Mama Kin once or twice, and Izzy was brought out for 14 Years, which was my highlight of 2012. Vegas residency was the start of Catcher replacing SOD, couple of new covers (Don't Let It Bring You Down and The Seeker). While covers instead of new songs is lame, The Seeker was really cool live. TWAT got played a few times at the residency, India got Nice Boys once.

Stretching it to justify the same setlist in 2013, but then again it was new for those markets that were played last time in 2010 (Australia, Abu Dhabi, etc.). Voice wasn't hot either, even compared to 2012, and at least in 2012 there was more energy in the raspless performances. I really thought that would be the end of the Greatest Hits Tour, though, and that everything from 2014 on would focus on a new album.

Why does South America not deserve new songs? This is almost the same setlist they got in 2011. Not only that, there is almost zero effort from Axl in the performances, that's the real killer. I wouldn't be so bummed about having paid to see the same setlist again if it was at least a decent show, but it seems like this is the Rolled Out Of Bed And Grabbed My Undersized Jacket Tour.

You can still open with CD + WTTJ + ISE, or even just WTTJ. You can still have, more like should have, SCOM + NR in the middle of the setlist. Nightrain to close main set, PC as final encore. That's all good. But there's so much room to mix up the rest in a 17+ song setlist.

The band is on form as always. But there's no effort being put in from Axl, and that's why the blame falls on Axl from people like me who were previously positive about his efforts.

• Like 1

But if you guys don't think anything has changed in like 20 years, and Axl feels comfortable with what he's been doing, why would you still hope for things to change?

Axl has been doing tours like this playing off AFD and UYI and even CD before it was released, and it seems to work and fans still come out to see GNR, so why would Axl want to do anything different?

I think you guys just need to either be satisfied with what's Axl and GNR now or move on to another group who are still making music and stop aggravating yourselves. It's not worth it.

They say they are Axl and GNR fans, but all some of you do it bitch about everything and anything Axl does.

Don't you?

Nobody is forcing you to post on an internet forum.

There are two other well known GnR forums that don't allow bitching and moaning. This forum allows people with independent thought a place to share their thoughts on GnR. If you don't like it, don't post here. Or put all those people on ignore.

You do realize that those "people" are posting their thoughts on GnR...........while you are posting your thoughts on other posters. Maybe you should spend more time posting about GnR and less time posting about other posters? :shrugs:

Or maybe you should start your own forum where you only allow people to worship and praise Axl and GnR?

Edited by Groghan
  • Like 2

I'd argue the setlist was changed a decent amount before this current tour. 2009-10 was the CD tour proper, and it changed quite a bit throughout 2010 (though more TWAT and Prostitute would have been nice). 2011 to early 2012 saw Civil War and Estranged come back, along with Used to Love Her, You're Crazy, Dead Flowers, Mama Kin once or twice, and Izzy was brought out for 14 Years, which was my highlight of 2012. Vegas residency was the start of Catcher replacing SOD, couple of new covers (Don't Let It Bring You Down and The Seeker). While covers instead of new songs is lame, The Seeker was really cool live. TWAT got played a few times at the residency, India got Nice Boys once.

Stretching it to justify the same setlist in 2013, but then again it was new for those markets that were played last time in 2010 (Australia, Abu Dhabi, etc.). Voice wasn't hot either, even compared to 2012, and at least in 2012 there was more energy in the raspless performances. I really thought that would be the end of the Greatest Hits Tour, though, and that everything from 2014 on would focus on a new album.

Why does South America not deserve new songs? This is almost the same setlist they got in 2011. Not only that, there is almost zero effort from Axl in the performances, that's the real killer. I wouldn't be so bummed about having paid to see the same setlist again if it was at least a decent show, but it seems like this is the Rolled Out Of Bed And Grabbed My Undersized Jacket Tour.

You can still open with CD + WTTJ + ISE, or even just WTTJ. You can still have, more like should have, SCOM + NR in the middle of the setlist. Nightrain to close main set, PC as final encore. That's all good. But there's so much room to mix up the rest in a 17+ song setlist.

The band is on form as always. But there's no effort being put in from Axl, and that's why the blame falls on Axl from people like me who were previously positive about his efforts.

This is a very fair judgment, I think. Even people who absolutely love Axl, can't help but feeling at least a bit disappointed.

But if you guys don't think anything has changed in like 20 years, and Axl feels comfortable with what he's been doing, why would you still hope for things to change?

Axl has been doing tours like this playing off AFD and UYI and even CD before it was released, and it seems to work and fans still come out to see GNR, so why would Axl want to do anything different?

I think you guys just need to either be satisfied with what's Axl and GNR now or move on to another group who are still making music and stop aggravating yourselves. It's not worth it.

I became a fan of Axl because of Chinese Democracy. Songs like Madagascar and Sorry blew me away when I heard them. The shows in 2010 were the best concerts I have ever been to. 2012, huge drop in performance, but I got something out each show I went to.

Now Axl has become the complete opposite of the man who dedicated so many years to writing and performing Chinese Democracy. Why should my devotion be unconditional? And you're right, at this rate, I will probably just drop GNR if this is all they're going to continue to do. 75% of my wardrobe is GNR t-shirts, nearly all of them official merch. Been to 12 concerts, 3 of those I've brought friends and family with me. If we're going to go with the argument that this is a business, they've lost a paying customer for a complete lack of respect for the fans who have followed them over the years and supported Chinese Democracy. The market for people who want to hear SCOM covered by DJ Ashba is pretty small, and they know that, which is why they're milking South America and Vegas once again.

If Rio had gotten new songs and/or a decent performance from Axl, GNR + TB would have gotten $250+ more of my money as I'd have paid for Nightrain and a VIP ticket for the Buenos Aires show. As soon as I saw those videos, I decided to spend my money on Neil Young and Pearl Jam instead. In the likely event that the show I see in April sucks, I won't bother to pay to see them again.

And the hilarious part is they've downgraded the VIP package seemingly without notifying people who already paid for it. Complete lack of respect from all involved, so they are not due ours.

Edited by Amir
  • Like 3

Nobody wants to ruin it for anyone else but this forum is for voicing our opinions and to us we're really disappointed with what's happening. Reading this forum right now probably isn't a great idea if you're happy with what's happening now, when things pick up with the band things will pick up here. The overall feeling here is that we're not happy with things and we like to voice it.

Enjoy the gig!!

• Like 1

I became a fan of Axl because of Chinese Democracy. Songs like Madagascar and Sorry blew me away when I heard them. The shows in 2010 were the best concerts I have ever been to. 2012, huge drop in performance, but I got something out each show I went to.

Now Axl has become the complete opposite of the man who dedicated so many years to writing and performing Chinese Democracy. Why should my devotion be unconditional? And you're right, at this rate, I will probably just drop GNR if this is all they're going to continue to do. 75% of my wardrobe is GNR t-shirts, nearly all of them official merch. Been to 12 concerts, 3 of those I've brought friends and family with me. If we're going to go with the argument that this is a business, they've lost a paying customer for a complete lack of respect for the fans who have followed them over the years and supported Chinese Democracy. The market for people who want to hear SCOM covered by DJ Ashba is pretty small, and they know that, which is why they're milking South America and Vegas once again.

If Rio had gotten new songs and/or a decent performance from Axl, GNR + TB would have gotten $250+ more of my money as I'd have paid for Nightrain and a VIP ticket for the Buenos Aires show. As soon as I saw those videos, I decided to spend my money on Neil Young and Pearl Jam instead. In the likely event that the show I see in April sucks, I won't bother to pay to see them again.

And the hilarious part is they've downgraded the VIP package seemingly without notifying people who already paid for it. Complete lack of respect from all involved, so they are not due ours.

Spend you money in other bands? You're clearly a bitter ex-fan and you are butthurt because Axl won't reunite with your God Slash. Axl doesn't owe you anything hater!

• Like 1

What a great post!!!!

I still love Axl's music and desperately wish the guy would put out more music. I'd be the happiest and most positive guy on this forum if Axl had released five CDs since breaking up the old band. I want the guy to succeed as much as anybody. When I open up a show thread for the first time I HOPE I'm going to see comments about how on fire Axl and the band were, how great Axl's voice sounded, how amazing the new songs were..........sadly, that isn't happening.

• Like 1

Spend you money in other bands? You're clearly a bitter ex-fan and you are butthurt because Axl won't reunite with your God Slash. Axl doesn't owe you anything hater!

Well I'm already planning on seeing Slash when he comes to London this year. Saw him in 2010 when he was touring the self-titled album, 2012 when he was touring Apocalyptic Love, and this time I'll get a setlist with songs from his upcoming album :)

Wish Buckethead would tour outside US, would love to see him.

I wonder when was the last time Jarmo spent money on GNR.

• Like 1

I didn't know Guns were supposed to be putting out new music? I figured CD was their last album.

Oh well, I'm watching Rio from a few days ago and it isn't that bad and I think people need to take a step back and quit overanalyzing everything! So many people take everything Axl says and does to heart dating all the way back to 1988 for some reason.

All I know is I'm super excited for Rock on the Range where I will finally get to see them. Dream come true. I'm happy with any setlist

• Like 1

I don't think it's abnormal for fans of an artist to stop being fans when that artist changes completely in performance and attitude.

As Zint said in another thread, GNR has become the polar opposite of the band that it used to be. There's evolution, and then there's regression and betrayal.

Hope you enjoy your first time seeing them live, and hopefully Axl makes an effort. I know there's fans of the old lineup who won't understand why I loved the shows in 2010 that I saw, but they're the best I'm ever going to see, and Axl really gave it his all.

So, in other words, "just shut up and sing"? That sort of deal?

I didn't know Guns were supposed to be putting out new music? I figured CD was their last album.

Oh well, I'm watching Rio from a few days ago and it isn't that bad and I think people need to take a step back and quit overanalyzing everything! So many people take everything Axl says and does to heart dating all the way back to 1988 for some reason.

All I know is I'm super excited for Rock on the Range where I will finally get to see them. Dream come true. I'm happy with any setlist

If CD was their last album, where is the official statement from the band or the record company saying so? Axl himself said back in 2008 or 2009 that he wanted to make another album.

And that´s not all. The band has been a revolving door of band members and managers. And that ended up with a bunch of guys who are just using the GN´R brand to pay their bills and get world recognition. The current managers who had no experience managing a rock band nor they ever been involved with the music industry before.

Sorry, meant new songs at concerts.

Sorry, meant new songs at concerts.

Oh, I meant that too.

We were told their would be 2-3 new songs at these concerts. Who told us that? A random name on a screen at a message board. Not trying to shit on him personally, but more speaking to the fact that calling yourself a "reporter" on a fan message board is not, in actual fact, a press credential.

• Like 1

Being a fan doesn't mean people can't still be critical of the band. I love Axl's music but that doesn't mean I have to worship the very ground he walks on. By that logic if Axl murdered somebody I should support his decision.