Chris Pitman - Your opinions?

This thread has been made so many times before. I think it boils down to the older fans who really want GnR to be a organic, straight forward rock band with just the essentials and those who are more receptive to the newer songs and approach. We all love the classic line-up so we're all appreciative of that. You can't really deny his presence on Chinese songs though, he's critical on those songs. There's some interesting synth going on behind a lot of the old songs which I think does add something.

I just wish Axl had of released more, I bet Pitman's all over Soul Monster, Zodiac etc.

If anyone has any doubt about his musical talent, check out the Lusk album. Free Mars.

I'm an "older fan" and was/am open to the supposed "industrial" direction (or whatever) Axl was going to take GNR in, I was all for stuff like Silkworms and OMG and "the freak show"...but no I'm not really into all that ending up being Pitman and his sub bass / smearing audio shit over AFD songs at live gigs.

I'd love to hear his awesome contributions to the bizarre, awesome new material he came up with Dizzy, Paul, Robin, Tommy, Bucket, Freese and Brain...hearing him play sub bass or a fucking tambourine on you could be mine? not so much.

I think he's an integral member in the new songs. Unfortunately though, the new songs make up 1/8 of the setlist on most nights, if that, so in a live setting where mostly songs that predated his membership are played, he's pretty useless. You could say the same thing about Dizzy and everything before Use Your Illusion I and II, and arguably with some of those songs as well. Hell, you can even say the same thing about Finck, and later Ashba, cause honestly most of the songs could fair pretty well without a third guitar player, and did so years prior to the three guitarist lineup.

That being said, if more new material would be released, or if they'd just play more Chinese Democracy songs during a live show, I think both men would be key members to the lineup. But then there's the question of if they'd deserve full membership or not. Should they be full time members, or just people that go on tour with the band, while everything else is handled by the core band, that being Axl, Dizzy, Bumblefoot, Richard, Tommy and Frank. Actually, even Dizzy could be relegated to just a touring member. Mind you, I'm not saying he should, but he could be, since I think Axl is a competent enough keyboard player to accomplish many of the melodies the band has done, at least in a studio setting.

Boiling that down in a nutshell, I think that with the current condition of the band's live performances he's unessential to have as a full time member and would better serve as touring personnel, playing on songs where his parts are necessary, and then with ones where he's not necessary, doing something else, like being a roadie or technician or something along those lines. But if the band changes and makes Chinese Democracy half their set and adds in some new songs that absolutely require his presence? Sure, he'd be worthy of full membership then.

Also, not sure if this is the right place to bring it up, but I still find it hilarious how Axl said in that one interview, when asked who'd be fired first, he responded "Probably Chris."

• Like 2

I'd be OK with Pitman being a contributing recording studio member of nuGn'R, but pretty much a dead weight on live touring... The same applies to that 2nd lead guitar player - such a waste of space and so confusing for the fans.

A quick look at the Chinese Democracy credits shows he is probably one of the most essential members in regards to new music.

As for his live performance, this is all we need to remember. The man is a living legend and the only member of the band who truly rocks.

121021-bridge-school-post-600-1350842372

If anyone has a picture of Pittman rocking the hell out of that towel during Bridge School, please post it. I also suggest watching that performance of "Rockin' in the Free World" should be required viewing for any GN'R fan. You can literally see Chris slink his way to the front of the stage, stand next to Neil Young, and then decide, "fuck it Ill sing." It was more exciting than anything Axl did either night.

• Like 2