Are you still bitter on oldGnR breakup?

bitter or not?  

90 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

i was bitter til the release of CD. but since then i don't care. it's 2014 and axl reached the point of no return imo. a reunion would have been epic between 2002-2008, but lets be honest...the guys getting old and axl is out of form. gnr is far away from their 86-93 perfection...especially because of axl himself. next problem is that he is not interested in releasing new music.so a reunion would be simply pointless. axl made a huge mistake by touring with many different musicians and abusing the name of gnr. it would have been much better if axl did his own velvet revolver because there wouldn't be that huge shadow of oldgnr. the release of new music would have been much easier...whatever.

Plenty of amazing bands have broken up and I was sad over it, but bitter about the GNR breakup? Not really. From anything I've read the guys were burnt out and since their lives were out of control due to drinking and drugs, I think breaking up, saved their lives.

We should be thankful for the time they were together and made the music they did. Their music will always live on.

The original members seem to be happy doing what they love - making music. I think them being alive is what we should all celebrate.

So many great musicians are dead and won't make any more music, so be happy you can still see the original members even if they are in different bands.

I wish them all well in whatever they want to do. Everyone has to live their own lives and do what they want to do.

Whatever you call it, some members here still seem to struggle to accept that the UYI lineup disintegrated :shrugs:

And its no harder than spotting a bad toupee.

People that feels the need to use terms like "fakeGNR" or "nuGNR" fit this criteria. Ditto anyone that stomps their feet insisting the last "real" GNR show was July 1993.

If you are still hanging onto that, sorry folks, you are bitter.

Or people use the designation as a way to distinguish what lineup they are referring to.

I enjoy what once was and I enjoy what is now.

In the same way that I enjoy getting a really good blowjob and I enjoy stepping in a thumbtack. ^_^

What can I say? I love Chinese Democracy, I really do. People can call me naive, an Axl nutter or whatever but I have faith in Axl.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

All in all, it is what it is. Nobody's going to change a thing.

Would I like to experience a reunion show? Sure! I'm not sure anybody would boycot a show like that?

I'm not longing for a reunion but if it were to happen I certainly wouldn't boycott it. All I hope is that they do it for the right reasons - because they genuinely want to be in a band with each other again and not simply for the big paycheck.
So how is it OK for the current lineup to play for a paycheck since it's clear that's what they are doing; but it wouldn't be for the afd or uyi lineups to do the same? Just curious how you justify that hypocrisy?

I said simply as in only for the paycheck. Obviously money will always be a factor in these things.

I don't believe someone like Bumblefoot for instance is in it just for the money. I think he really does want to write music, create and play shows because he actually enjoys like. The fact that new music isn't being recorded (that we know of anyways) isn't Bumblefoots fault.

Wrll, 8 years now for bumblefoot and he's done jack shit along with the rest of them yet they keep grabbing for $$. At least the afd and uyi lineups will have written 90 percent of what they play.

But as for justification, gotta do better than that or your point has zero validity.

• Like 1

Whatever you call it, some members here still seem to struggle to accept that the UYI lineup disintegrated :shrugs:

And its no harder than spotting a bad toupee.

People that feels the need to use terms like "fakeGNR" or "nuGNR" fit this criteria. Ditto anyone that stomps their feet insisting the last "real" GNR show was July 1993.

If you are still hanging onto that, sorry folks, you are bitter.

Or people use the designation as a way to distinguish what lineup they are referring to.

I enjoy what once was and I enjoy what is now.

In the same way that I enjoy getting a really good blowjob and I enjoy stepping in a thumbtack. ^_^

What can I say? I love Chinese Democracy, I really do. People can call me naive, an Axl nutter or whatever but I have faith in Axl.

Nothing wrong with that at all.

All in all, it is what it is. Nobody's going to change a thing.

Would I like to experience a reunion show? Sure! I'm not sure anybody would boycot a show like that?

I'm not longing for a reunion but if it were to happen I certainly wouldn't boycott it. All I hope is that they do it for the right reasons - because they genuinely want to be in a band with each other again and not simply for the big paycheck.
So how is it OK for the current lineup to play for a paycheck since it's clear that's what they are doing; but it wouldn't be for the afd or uyi lineups to do the same? Just curious how you justify that hypocrisy?

I said simply as in only for the paycheck. Obviously money will always be a factor in these things.

I don't believe someone like Bumblefoot for instance is in it just for the money. I think he really does want to write music, create and play shows because he actually enjoys like. The fact that new music isn't being recorded (that we know of anyways) isn't Bumblefoots fault.

Wrll, 8 years now for bumblefoot and he's done jack shit along with the rest of them yet they keep grabbing for $$. At least the afd and uyi lineups will have written 90 percent of what they play.

But as for justification, gotta do better than that or your point has zero validity.

Plus you don't piss and moan publicly year after year, have nothing you bitch about change, and then keep being a lapdog if it ain't mostly about the money. Again several of them weren't even fans of what they're playing night after night after night. And here they are. It's mostly due to them having very few professional alternatives that wouldn't lead the lot of them back to the bar scene.

Not so much bitter as dissapointed that instead of a reuninon we have Axl bringing in random people (Duff's appearances recently aside) to play shows that consist of mainly songs written and made sonically relevant by other people.

If more than one album of 14 songs materialized since 1996 I wouldn't be as negative on having a totally different lineup of guys, but that just isn't the case. I would have either liked Axl to develop the new lineups into something different or get the old band back together instead of some weird non-eventful and boring limbo in between the two

Edited by WhazUp
  • Like 1

They had a good run and it ran its course. If they rented a house and disconnected from the rest of the world, maybe we would have had one more album.

Even if they never played again after 1993, they became bona fide legends. But life has to go on...then what? Retire in your early 30s?

Yes, Axl stealing my favorite band, then pretending Slash never existed! The way he just disappeared like a coward!! I'm left pondering what could have been each night...

Jk no I was just hoping that Axl and the new band would be better than the old one. I really just want Axl to win.

Jk no I was just hoping that Axl and the new band would be better than the old one. I really just want Axl to win.

I agree, times 100000000
win what?

The ongoing battle between him and Slash. You think Axl returned in 2006 with rasp and muscles at age 44 for his fans? No he returned because silly Slash had a couple successful albums with a new band and they were being recognized for it. Axl wanted to bring out his album in 06 to compete with Slash. He wanted to be better than him.

He wanted to win and be back on top. 2006 is the most motivated you will ever see Axl unless Slash makes another big album.

Hell Slash won a Grammy with VR! Original Guns never did that. If you don't think Axl cares about Slash's career than you are crazy. This is a competition that Axl created and based on his recent attitude he feels he has lost.

I agree, times 100000000
win what?

The ongoing battle between him and Slash. You think Axl returned in 2006 with rasp and muscles at age 44 for his fans? No he returned because silly Slash had a couple successful albums with a new band and they were being recognized for it. Axl wanted to bring out his album in 06 to compete with Slash. He wanted to be better than him.

He wanted to win and be back on top. 2006 is the most motivated you will ever see Axl unless Slash makes another big album.

Hell Slash won a Grammy with VR! Original Guns never did that. If you don't think Axl cares about Slash's career than you are crazy. This is a competition that Axl created and based on his recent attitude he feels he has lost.

I just read that Slash actually had two songs off of one of his albums go to number 1 on the rock charts. Did anything off of CD go to number one on the rock charts?

Ya, you nailed it.

And Caught In A Coma......inspite of what a few people on here say about me, I'm a die-hard Axl fan to the end. I wish that Axl 1999-2014 would have blown Slash away, as well as blown away the classic line-up. I was wishing for (and to be honest thought it was completely possible) Axl to release albums that would match up or be better than Appetite, Lies and Illusions. I'd be the happiest person on this forum if Axl had released four albums post break-up.

I agree, times 100000000
win what?

I think Slash is at a modestly successful level now, if there's a supergroup situation, it'll be a one off. Kings of Chaos will probably put out the "VR third album".

As far as bands go, there was no real competition, any more than he was against other contemporary bands, especially when Izzy was no longer a part of VR and Scott rejected Slash's "Bad Company demos" but in a post Nirvana rock world, it opened up a new audience to Slash that didn't particularly like or care for Axl.

I agree, times 100000000
win what?

I think Slash is at a modestly successful level now, if there's a supergroup situation, it'll be a one off. Kings of Chaos will probably put out the "VR third album".

As far as bands go, there was no real competition, any more than he was against other contemporary bands, especially when Izzy was no longer a part of VR and Scott rejected Slash's "Bad Company demos" but in a post Nirvana rock world, it opened up a new audience to Slash that didn't particularly like or care for Axl.

I wish I understood what you are saying, but I can't quite figure it out and don't want to give you an off base reply.

A couple things though...was Izzy a part of VR? I know he did a couple shows but I don't remember him joining.

And there is no post Nirvana rock world. Nirvana didn't destroy classic rock, they didn't do anything special. They had a good album and their lead singer blew his head off. There is nothing special about grunge. If anything Nirvana brought on a depressing crappy era to music. So maybe you are right. The post nirvana rock world all blew their heads off because everything since has been complete and utter crap! Thanks Nirvana!

Sorry had to get that off my chest. And the last thing is this, rock music prays everyday that an Axl Rose will return. He defined rock in a way that no fake wannabe has since. Current rock fans don't hate Axl because they didn't like his music. They hate Axl because he hasn't done anything for rock since. The fans didn't turn on GNR, GNR turned on rock fans by disappearing and breaking up.

Anyways, sorry for not actually responding to what you said. I just didn't get it. So I just shared my opinion on a couple other things.

This whole war is a media and Axl fabricated lie to try to paint Axl in a better picture since the late 90s. To try to justify what became of GN'R. You think Slash gives a shit what Axl does? Axl sure as hell cares what Slash does and probably follows every little thing he does because in some twisted way, he feels that it's an obligation. If I hated a former friend, I surely wouldn't stalk them in any way, shape or form.

Slash has gone on to release multiple albums while Axl has sat bitter in his mansion thinking of ways to destroy Slash, but it's never going to happen. He could have had huge success once more had CD come out between 99-2002, but he threw that opportunity away for a reason that none of us will probably ever know. The album was finished. Logic dictates that you release it. The label was 110% behind Axl at that point. It would never in a million years have crushed AFD or the Illusions, but it would have been so much more successful had it been released around this time.

With that said, Slash still would never have been seen as inferior to Axl's new guys in Bucket and Finck. That's impossible. Nothing that those two brought to the table on CD is anywhere near as iconic or memorable as Slash's solos on any classic GN'R song. Sure, Buckethead is a tremendously talented guitar player, but Slash just can't be overshadowed.

Whatever, I don't care anymore and until Axl decides to get his head out of his own ass and step it into high gear, I'm pretty sure the future of GN'R is extremely bleak and depressing while Slash will continue to release good albums and not waste a thousand and one opportunities every chance he gets. That's what a self perceived "war" will do to you.

• Like 1

My experience as a consumer was that I went from Def Leppard's Hysteria to AFD and that opened up a new musical landscape, GNR paved the way for Nirvana, NIN, Soundgarden, RATM, Faith No More, Alice in Chains.

It showed the labels that heavy could sell. Maybe it was just GNR being the first to go against the grain of pop rock, bringing back a more 70s attitude of rock. GNR created a market for themselves and others filled that gap they left.

I guess to break up like Aerosmith or self imploding like the Pistols made more sense that reinventing themselves like U2 or INXS. They weren't really controlled or working with the label that tightly, they barley communicated much between themselves.

When they had their first difficulties as a band they broke up, they didn't call a board meeting like U2 or Metallica to work out how to deal with the influx of grunge bands or dance rock. That's kind of cool in someways.

My experience as a consumer was that I went from Def Leppard's Hysteria to AFD and that opened up a new musical landscape, GNR paved the way for Nirvana, NIN, Soundgarden, RATM, Faith No More, Alice in Chains.

It showed the labels that heavy could sell. Maybe it was just GNR being the first to go against the grain of pop rock, bringing back a more 70s attitude of rock. GNR created a market for themselves and others filled that gap they left.

I guess to break up like Aerosmith or self imploding like the Pistols made more sense that reinventing themselves like U2 or INXS. They weren't really controlled or working with the label that tightly, they barley communicated much between themselves.

When they had their first difficulties as a band they broke up, they didn't call a board meeting like U2 or Metallica to work out how to deal with the influx of grunge bands or dance rock. That's kind of cool in someways.

Cool and limited. What Guns is all about.