Why don't blacks ever get taped saying racist things?

GUNSNROSES513

Guest Len B'stard

Listen to this from 33 seconds on...with particular attention to 1:00 point :lol:

And that from 58 secs :lol:

Don't worry boys and girls, they're both dead! But yeah, taped quite well i think you'll find :D

Edited by sugaraylen

It's very obvious:

- White people have caused exponentially more harm to black people than vice versa. So naturally, there is a greater degree of accountability for white people.

- While it's continually changing, there are still more powerful white men in society than any other race.

- When you are a multi-millionaire that owns influential franchises, you are more morally accountable than the average person.

We did cause a lot of harm, its shitty, but we've more than made up for it.

If you could, I'd really like to hear you further elaborate on this point.

I can't list examples off the top of my head, but there is a black president now. No pun intended but the ball is in their court. Most black people i've met speak Ebonics, but the most intelligent ones i know, don't speak it, they are very well spoken, pleasant people to be around.

Ever notice that, the Hispanics are taking over, just like the Italians and Irish did.. They are working, doing whatever it takes to make a buck..... They are coming to America and making something of themselves.. I don't see too many black people doing the same. Instead, they bitch about what whitey did, instead of making something for themselves. I'm only speaking from experience too..

Black people have only technically had rights in America for 50 years. It's only been within the past decade or so that they have actually had something resembling them. There is still an unbelievable divide in economic class, education, prison rates, etc between blacks and whites. The culture as a collective has finally agreed to believe that all men were created equal, but there's still a long way to go before that is put into action.

Therefore, I believe black people ought to be cut some slack if they're a little ornery when it comes to white people. It's a matter of power dynamics. By and large, white people are still in control of a system which still inherently discriminates against minorities. For the oppressed to take issue with the oppressor, that's a difficult thing to argue against. Their anger is justified.

I agree and I disagree. I think it's dangerous to allow black people (or latins, white people, etc.) a certain behaviour because the power still belongs to other race. And I'm saying this thinking in the next generations, in the kids. They are being raised in the difference and it could also develop certain degree of racism from those next generations. Black kids thinking white people can be insulted because they once were horrible towards their people and white kids feeling offended and becoming somehow racist to defend their positions. Instead of teaching kids that race is or should be absolutely irrelevant.

Hate and resentment never lead to good things. Even when that hate and resentment is more than justified and understandable.

Well I'm not saying blacks making racist statements towards whites is okay, but it has to be understood in context and with empathy. My statement was specifically in regards to what the clippers owner said. What he said and his position is not the same as Al Sharpton. Sterling employs and makes money off the backs and hard work of mostly black people. He without question has a slave master mentality. To compare that being taped to say some brother on the block complaining about his cracker boss or Al Sharpton criticizing the prison industrial complex and institutionalized racism propagated by a white majority, is a false equivalence.

you want equality, you start making people equal. not bending the rules because of what one race did to another hundreds of years ago. you cannot go forward if you keep bringing up the past as an excuse for actions that people do in this day and time. sterling got what he deserved, and if a black owner said the same thing he should get the same, not less because someone oppressed his race 400 years ago.

Edited by bran
  • Like 2

Guest Len B'stard

It's very obvious:

- White people have caused exponentially more harm to black people than vice versa. So naturally, there is a greater degree of accountability for white people.

- While it's continually changing, there are still more powerful white men in society than any other race.

- When you are a multi-millionaire that owns influential franchises, you are more morally accountable than the average person.

I can't list examples off the top of my head, but there is a black president now. No pun intended but the ball is in their court. Most black people i've met speak Ebonics, but the most intelligent ones i know, don't speak it, they are very well spoken, pleasant people to be around.

Whats wrong with 'ebonics'?

I'm sure there are famous black people, who've said racist stuff, but that's never in the news, because it doesn't make money.

I actually really like Charles Barkley, but like many famous black and white celebrities he has said racial shit that made the news for offending large segments of the population. And the "it was only a joke" excuse never flies, as all racial "jokes" have at least a bit of seriousness in them.

Michael Irvin

Michael-irvin.jpg

The noted loudmouth went on a national radio show in 2006 and had this to say about Cowboys quarterback Tony Romo – “He doesn’t look like he’s that type of an athlete. But he is. He is, man. I don’t know … some brother down in that line somewhere … I don’t know who saw what or where, his great-great-great-great-grandma ran over in the ‘hood or something went down.”

Floyd Mayweather

Floyd-Mayweather-Jr-01-150x150.jpg

Not content to simply bob and weave his way to dodging a fight against Manny Pacquiao, two months ago, Floyd went on a bizarre video rant that was at once homophobic, ignorant, racist and completely devoid of charm. Referring to him as a “yellow chump” (I’m guessing not in the cowardly sense) and ordering that “motherfucker to make me a sushi roll and cook me some rice,” the real offense here is that a guy making approximately $75 billion per year doesn’t know that sushi comes from the Japan and not the Philippines.

One could argue that Floyd’s earlier escapades, like wearing a sombrero when fighting De La Hoya on Cinco de Mayo may have blurred the line between humor and good taste, but there’s no question after watching his homemade video. Dude’s racist.

Charles Barkley

charles-barkley-withallduerespect-150x15

Because of Charles’ happy-go-lucky demeanor, he often gets away with saying some pretty garish stuff that would leave others crucified by the media. Having been somewhat outspoken on race issues in the past, he stepped up his game when it came to the discussion of black coaches in college football. He blasted Auburn for not hiring the black candidate, while further condemning Notre Dame for firing Tyrone Willingham, which I agree with, but not on the merits of race.

However, Charles Barkley’s shining racist comment hearkens back to a press conference when he was asked if he thought his team not getting calls was a racial issue, to which he responded (I’m paraphrasing. It’s been a while and I can’t find the original quote), “This is why I hate white people. You guys try to turn everything into a racial issue.” Says the guy with the white wife.

Because it was Chuck, the press conference erupted with laughter and the world kept on spinning. However, if the races had been reversed, I think we would have seen a very different outcome for the perpetrator.

Shaquile O’Neal

shaquille-o-neal-150x150.jpg

In what’s perhaps the least threatening, but most childish act of racial insensitivity on this list, Shaq was interviewed by Fox Sports in 2002 and asked if he had any words for upstart Chinese center Yao Ming. To which Shaq intellectually replied, “Tell [NBA center] Yao Ming, ‘Ching-chong-yang-wah-ah-so.”

Are those the best examples you could find? They're rather tame. And the last one was great. :rofl-lol:

you want equality, you start making people equal. not bending the rules because of what one race did to another hundreds of years ago. you cannot go forward if you keep bringing up the past as an excuse for actions that people to in this day and time. sterling got what he deserved, and if a black owner said the same thing he should get the same, not less because someone oppressed his race 400 years ago.

If it was a black person said the same about a white person, i'd be bullshit too. I don't thing Sterling did anything wrong.....legally. And i'd feel the same way if it was a black person saying it about a white person.

It's very obvious:

Ever notice that, the Hispanics are taking over, just like the Italians and Irish did.. They are working, doing whatever it takes to make a buck..... They are coming to America and making something of themselves.. I don't see too many black people doing the same. Instead, they bitch about what whitey did, instead of making something for themselves. I'm only speaking from experience too..

:facepalm:

• Like 1

Don't they know rock's just for whites?

Don't they know the rules?

Those blacks are too hardcore

This shit ain't cool

Those blacks want everything

In the god damn world

That black boy played so good

He took my motherfucking girl

There goes the neighbourhooooooooood

It's very obvious:

I see we have a real scholar on race relations on our hands...

So let me get this straight. You claim that white people have more than made up for all the harm they've caused black people. But when asked for elaboration, you can't name one. Sorry, you suggest that because the current President is half black that it has somehow made up for the centuries of racial injustice and persecution. I'm not much of a betting man, but I'd wager your knowledge of structural racism isn't too profound (i.e. redlining, separate but equal, discriminatory sentencing, arbitrary application of laws).

Mods, any chance we can shut this thread down? We have numerous threads on race relations, I really don't think we need another one where the OP is likely trolling ('cause really, nobody can be this ignorant).

• Like 2

Because it doesnt make the media money. That man, Donald Sterling is a piece of shit.. But he didn't really do anything wrong. In America your supposed to be able to think what you want. He didn't publicly say anything, he did it privately. We've all said racist things, and stereotyped... If you say you haven't, your full of shit. They've just fined him 2.5 million dollars, but what for? If i say something racist, are they going to fine me too?

I'm sure there are famous black people, who've said racist stuff, but that's never in the news, because it doesn't make money.

This isn't really about famous people. For her it is, because of the photo.

Someone who is part of a franchise has a responsibility to the organization and he was irresponsible with his words, and a friend of his set him off. For the most part people see a senile 80-something old bag with a gold digger and wondering what the attraction could be when he says such vile things about people.

It's fine for a business owner who runs their own company saying what they want, but when it's a franchise, they have standards to uphold.

I think some people take being outspoken about other races to mean they're racist, but it depends on what they're talking about.

It's very obvious:

I can't list examples off the top of my head, but there is a black president now.

I'm too tired for this shit. You just broke my head, I didn't even read any more. I'm going to bed. FFS

Edited by RickRoses
  • Like 1

Guest Len B'stard

Has anyone heard of the 5 percent nation? It's some fantastically lunatic bullshit. But apparently it's cool with a few rappers.

Jay-Zs bling from 'whites are devils' group

Wikipedia entry for Five-Percent Nation

Yeah its cool with rappers, with many rappers, whats wrong with it, it's their religion. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you need to understand the 5 Percenters to really understand hip hop. It's just a follow on from what people like Malcolm X and them believed back in the day. It's no more wacky than Christianity or Islam or...any religion.

Wanted to change my name on here to God Cipher Divine in reference to the 5% Nation actually :lol: The man whoose quote is in my sig was once a Five Percenter.

Edited by sugaraylen

Has anyone heard of the 5 percent nation? It's some fantastically lunatic bullshit. But apparently it's cool with a few rappers.

Yeah its cool with rappers, with many rappers, whats wrong with it, it's their religion. In fact, I'd go so far as to say you need to understand the 5 Percenters to really understand hip hop. It's just a follow on from what people like Malcolm X and them believed back in the day. It's no more wacky than Christianity or Islam or...any religion.

Wanted to change my name on here to God Cipher Divine in reference to the 5% Nation actually :lol: The man whoose quote is in my sig was once a Five Percenter.

I see, so you think the religion is okay? Is that an accurate assessment? I can never tell with you because almost every post you make is you cheekily taking the piss (see I learned some slang from you and Gordon Ramsay).

But I must say, I'm surprised that you of all people, a staunch defender of equality and anti-racism, is seemingly okay with this "religion." I suppose we'll shelve the debate about whether it's a religion or not for now. Would you agree that one of the inherent tenets of the religion is racism? Why are you looking the other way at this seemingly ridiculous and racist view? Indulge me.

Guest Len B'stard

I see, so you think the religion is okay? Is that an accurate assessment? I can never tell with you because almost every post you make is you cheekily taking the piss (see I learned some slang from you and Gordon Ramsay).

But I must say, I'm surprised that you of all people, a staunch defender of equality and anti-racism, is seemingly okay with this "religion." I suppose we'll shelve the debate about whether it's a religion or not for now. Would you agree that one of the inherent tenets of the religion is racism? Why are you looking the other way at this seemingly ridiculous and racist view? Indulge me.

Yes but it belongs within a specific context, it was born out of the civil rights movement, a time where such wild fantastical doctrines might be accepted by a community that had, up until that point, been presented with a very inhumane and distorted reality and morality, it stands to reason that their responses to shit would be fucked up.

Put simply, i can understand how a black guy in the 1960s in inner city America could buy the fact that white people are devils. Wasn't there that thing with Malcolm X where, when he first took up with the NOI and a guy told him this theory and he was kinda skeptical but then the guy was like OK, take it like this...can you remember one white person who did good for you in your life, that was out to do you good? And he couldn't...throughout his entire life, he couldn't think of one. When you come up within unnatural circumstances your behaviour and your value system reflects that.

But on the flipside, NOI and Five percent nations did some very positive things, promoted education, self actualisation, empowerment of the black community, introduced schemes and initiatives in the community that did a lot of good.

Now a lot of the people who came up in the NOI and Five Percent Nations have gone on to rennounce those aspects, the racist aspects as time has gone by and people have grown and seen shit for what it is but its existence was in effect a response to coming up in very fucked up surroundings.

When you have things like a lack of education, a lack of awareness about the world around you and all you see is your immediate reality and that reality is designed to oppress you, the values of that society is designed to keep you down and damage you well then you invent your own values and your own belief systems and those systems, logically, are gonna be coloured by the sorts of prejudice from which they are born. At that time and place those people need to hear 'The black man is God'.

Im not OK with this religion in that i think it is right...but then i don't think any religion is right and there's as much thats herky jerky in Christianity or Islam or any other religion you could name, i see the NOI and the five percent nation as a flawed but necessary part of the evolution of conscinous of a community that desperately needed empowerment...and sought it out from taos such as The Five Percent Nation which, despite being highly flawed, on some level served a necessary, nay, essential function to those people from that time and place.

Quite apart from anything else it's a fascinating doctrine if you read up about it, Supreme Mathematics and all that.

Edited by sugaraylen
  • Like 1

you compare what racist things blacks have done to white people to what racist things white people have done to black people and youll realize jsu thow stupid this argument is. we white people have taken away their rights for hundreds of years you can't expect them to not be angry and be all jolly after havign their familys tortured by teh white man not everythign is so fuckign jolly. asking black people to get over racism is like telling hollywood to get over teh holocoust ,its not going to happena nd in teh great scheme of things as long as its just words people should have better things to do then give a shit.

• Like 1

addressing the thread title, and in relation to yesterdays events regarding the Clippers racist owner, what I assume prompted the thread.

people of color do get a pass on their racist views.

Sir Charles Barkley spouts off all the time on the air with racist dialogue that would get a white person banned for life.

I hear white stereotypical jokes all the time in various sports broadcast dialogue.

I personally don't give it more thought than whether it makes me laugh or not. If someone in my personal life goes "over the line" with it I basically give him the 'you ignorant ass' look and move on, And if he's really looking for a confrontation I give him the 'we can do this right now if you'd like, ass' look to make sure he knows he's acting like a punk. I just don't have time to let it bother me beyond that, it's pointless.

Jimmy The Greek Snyder was banned from the networks for simply stating the obvious "blacks are taking over sports", and "that soon the only jobs left for whites would be coaching jobs"

you would have thought he shot someone, the uproar that came from the black activist ran him out of broadcasting. I remember thinking, wtf ?

Hank Williams Jr. had his Monday night Football song removed from the broadcasts (Im still pissed about that, that song was legend) because when referring to a golf outing on the news involving John Boehner playing golf with Obama he stated it was like Hitler playing golf with the Israeli prime Minister. Oh no he may have compared Obama to Hitler, get the fuck over it, black people are way too sensitive to such off the cuff remarks that in reality hold no real depth.

the question is why?

As someone eluded to in an earlier post some of the reason may be because of the history of Black oppression, the horror of slavery especially.

fair enough, who are we to say how long that should or shouldn't continue to manifest. I still look at blacks that are over say 60 or 70 years old today with a bit of admiration knowing they went through the 1950's and 1960's in this country with all the injustices of segregation.

The bigger picture is being ignored on this Clippers owners situation, imo.

So now anything you say in private, that may get recorded, illegally recorded even, could cost you your entire life, or business?

slippery slope, my guess is we all may say something stupid from time to time, either joking, or misspoken in terms of the way it may be interpreted.

especially if someone is baiting us by making us angry as the little money grubbin ho that taped Sterling did.

Guest Len B'stard

White people do that shit too, just listen to someone like Howard Stern although I wouldn't dispute your position cuz black people do get something of a pass, on occasion and within a certain context, with this shit.

• Like 1

Do African American's get a "pass" when it comes to comments that could be considered racists? Yes, but so what? Us white people can not even begin to understand what they went through, so to hear people make these points about "black folks being racists" just shows how much we don't understand. I'm not saying it's right that some African American's can get away with certain comments, but for me at least, I just laugh them off, of don't let it bother me. That's the difference. Some white people get SOOOO fired up when an African American makes a comment that could be viewed as being racist, why is that? Because they are jealous because they can't say something similiar without getting in trouble. Us white folks need to learn to let these things go, because by letting them bother us, we are actually promoting racism, not preventing it. Remember when Jackie Robinson always had to turn the other cheek? Well that's how us white folks need to act, just turn the other cheek, don't let it bother you.

African American's were enslaved for hundreds of years, ripped from their families, made to work manual hard labor, for nothing. Then when they did get freedom they experienced over 100 years more of discrimination and racism. Us white folks can not even begin to understand that type of hatered. We forget that we started this, not them. It is not right to blame them, or get angry about some of the things that are said. Have things gotten a lot better? Yes they have, but there is still room to grow and improve. I choose to be part of the solution, not part of the problem. That's the question more white folks need to ask themselves....

• Like 2