When did you become a fan of Guns n' Roses

When did you become a fan of Guns n' Roses  

145 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Fall 1991. Saw a bit of the Don't Cry video on TV and was intrigued. First GnR record I bought was the LALD single, as I was really into Macca in those days. I knew by then I would love the albums but first I got my mom to buy them for her library, so I could listen to them!

I have memories of hearing Paradise City in my parents trans am from around 88 or 89, so that is my first "memory" of gnr. I was 8 or 9 at that time. But I didn't really become aware of them or a "fan" of them until I saw the November Rain video being played on MTV over and over again in 1992. I didn't buy Appetite and really become a fan until 1996, but for sake of this pole, I voted 1991~1995 because the NR video really left a huge mark on me. I just remember thinking to myself "these guys are awesome." I was born in 1981, so I was probably 10 or 11 when I really started to "like" Guns n' Roses.

Edited by Mike420

After reading some of Grogan's and The Thin White Duke's posts, I want to add my 2 cents to that discussion. While I am younger than those who really experienced gnr at their peak, I am also older than those who became fans since 2000, So I'm sort of in the middle, and here is my take...

If you were not old enough to actually see or remember real gnr, than you are probably not old enough to remember the "dark ages" either, so yes imo you are a lesser fan. I don't care how many internet articles you read, you were not there, you have no idea what that time was like. You are just making assumptions. Led Zeppelin is my all time fav band, but they broke up 2 years before I was born. Does that mean that my fandom is less than somebody that lived through the 70's? Not neccisarily, but how can I honestly say I am a bigger Zeppelin fan than someone that followed that whole band from day 1? They did all the things that I did, except they also saw the band live. That is something that I have never been able to do. So they will always have that 1 up on me. All that I can do is live, eat, and breath everythying Zeppelin, but if someone else 15 years older than me did that as well, and saw them in person, than I have on choice but to say "they are the bigger fan." Same goes for gnr.

I know for a fact that forum member Sixes actually attended the famous Ritz 88' concert. So he has been following this band longer than I have. We might not agree about everything, but how can I honestly say I am bigger gnr fan than him? As far as my fandom goes, if you were not a fan of them during the "dark ages" 1994~2002, then I absolutly think I am a bigger gnr fan than you are, because you have no idea what that time was like. I bought like 5 copies of the issue of Spin with Axl on the cover, I remember getting the issue of Rolling Stone where Axl talks about CD. I bought the End of Days soundtrack the day it was released, same goes for Live Era. I had Napster downloads from Rio 2001. It was just a different time, the internet may have been around, but things were so much different back then. I'm not saying that was a "better" time, just different. But us older fans really earned our GNR stripes for sticking it out during that time, which is something you younger kids have no idea about imo.

• Like 2

2002, when I saw videos of Madagascar and The Blues. I remember being blown away by that particular version of The Blues, it was from Rock In Rio 2001.
I bought Appetite and UYI II in 2004 and started to learn about GN'Rs history etc. I became a huge fan of both the old and new band, which is why I'm still able to enjoy what we have now.

Since then I purchased all their CD's, DVD's and a few shirts and I saw them live 8 times between 2002 and 2012. But I would've loved to see the old band in their glory days

The thing I find funny is that I originally became a fan of the new band, playing one of their songs. So I don't know what kind of GN'R fan that makes me.

Up to 2001 all I knew about GNR was that they were a band my mom used to like and the only song I had heard from them was a polyphonic ringtone of SCOM that I downloaded for her cellphone :lol:
In january 2001, I watched the GNR concert in Rock in Rio and that motivated me to go after the CDs, DVDs and band info in the internet. That was how I became a fan.

The early nineties, can't remember when exactly, can't remember how exactly I came to be a fan either. It's so easy is the first song I can remember liking. Can remember reciting the lyrics sitting on the edge of a swimming pool with a friend with our feet dangling in the water, was during the school 'swimming gala' :) can remember not getting the "little wouldn't do part", I was mishearing it.

1988. After Jungle was on MTV but before Sweet Child was released. I was in elementary school at the time.

I support both the old and new lineups. Bands change configurations all the time; it's not something exclusive to GnR. I don't think it's always good, and I think many bands suffer when key members are replaced. However I like to see favorite musicians out there performing and/or making music, regardless of the lineup.

Edited by stella

Yay, still the only one.

Explanation: Used to play in a band.. and as a guitarist I had to know SCOM, PC and Jungle but I was never really a fan of Guns other than the hits. In 2010 I heard on the radio that Guns were coming to Belfast and was surprised because I thought they broke up, I didn't realise Slash and Axl had made up... then I did some research, ended up liking the new music. TIL blew my mind because I didn't know Axl could.. sing.

• 2 weeks later...

1986, when I first heard a bootleg

That's awesome. Tell us more. I think you have most people on here beat by a few years except Marc Canter.

I was sent a few early tapes in late 85-86 from LA and I was blown away. Still have them....

• 2 weeks later...

As shown in the poll. I'm kind of curious to see when most of the fanbase (that's here anyway) was built and how much it's still growing.

For me, it was late 1997 when I saw a video of Knocking On Heaven's Door live at the Freddie Mercury tribute on tv. I was 13 at the time.

since the late 80ies.

i remember this day pretty well (it's not a very good video)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qADynwaqeFg

.......almost 22 years ago.

this is one of the rare moments, when i wish to have a time machine.

December 2nd, 2011, brother dragged me to their concert in Cincy. I was front row, too. I was hooked not by Jungle, Sweet Child or November Rain. They had me at Sorry. I was like, this guy singing on stage clearly thinks he's the coolest motherfucker in the world. And I fucking believed it. Still do.

Edited by Obsession Of Vanity

sometime in the early to mid 90's. my dad played gnr constantly in the car and in the house. shit for my first big field trip in school, i had AFD and UYI 2 on cassette for my walkman for the bus ride to the boston aquarium :lol: that was in 95 or 96.

1988. After Jungle was on MTV but before Sweet Child was released. I was in elementary school at the time.

I support both the old and new lineups. Bands change configurations all the time; it's not something exclusive to GnR. I don't think it's always good, and I think many bands suffer when key members are replaced. However I like to see favorite musicians out there performing and/or making music, regardless of the lineup.

This is very similar to me. I was 7 or 8 when I heard GNR. I have older siblings who played them when I was in one of their cars. I was so hooked.

I was so much more into them than my siblings 10 years older than I... They finally bought me my own AFD... When UYI came out my oldest brother had them waiting for me as an early birthday present, complete with a brand new GNR poster in my room. Happy 11th Birthday!!

I stopped being as big a fan after the UYI era when I became a teenager and moved on to Mighty Mighty BossToneS and some other ska music I'm not as proud of ?

In 2003/4 I discovered the live recordings of songs from RIO. Was again hooked... Thought "The Blues" was the greatest song, was so pumped for new shit...

I can honestly say that GNR has been my favorite band for most of my life. A friend from 3rd grade found me on FB recently. The first message to me was astonishment that I still listened and loved GNR.

Thanks for starting this thread. Haven't really thought about how I got into GNR for a bit...

• Like 1

In 94/95 I was 14.

A friend made me a copy of AFD and both UYI.

Was hooked since, and I was immediately very interested in what both sides could deliver after the break-up.

I always had a lot of respect for both line-ups.

1986, when I first heard a bootleg

That's awesome. Tell us more. I think you have most people on here beat by a few years except Marc Canter.

I was sent a few early tapes in late 85-86 from LA and I was blown away. Still have them....

Can you tell us what those tapes contain?