Germany 2006 Rock Am Ring. Finest new GNR concert?

I honestly don't think Axl & co ever topped this. Sensational.

Was just listening to a couple tracks from this show yesterday while driving around. I LOVE the version of Jungle from this show.

This concert is good, but far from perfect. LA 2006 is better and also some 2010 shows, such as Bucharest and London.

When I was listening to rock am ring, my gf said that Axl can't sing live, based on what she heard...just sayin' :P

I don't think it's perfect by any means. Patience alone shows that the show leaves a lot to be desired. Overall, it's a great show though. I agree that LA 2006 is better as well. I have that show on blu-ray and it's really cool. Robin's blues solo alone is worth owning it for IMO.

Was just listening to a couple tracks from this show yesterday while driving around. I LOVE the version of Jungle from this show.

"DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Probably my favorite nuGN'R moment.

• Like 2

"DO YOU KNOW WHERE THE FUCK YOU ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR"

Yep it was incredible. 25 second long scream. I still wonder why he only ever did it at that 06 show.

Guest NGOG

Yep it was incredible. 25 second long scream. I still wonder why he only ever did it at that 06 show.

When the crowd is pumped, Axl is pumped. Seriously, his level of performance tends to correlate with the energy of the crowd.

Funny thing is that I don't think people have been that positive about this show in 2006 - but compared to the current situation this show is fantastic.

Too bad people have been that negativ in 06 - I guess because a lot of us still compared the band to the originals - now this show sounds great when compared to 2014.

I hope this cycle doesn't continue and in 2020 we will talk about the great shows of 2014 ;) (but I guess this would mean every concert in 2020 will be a new chapter of the axl rose desaster videos)

• Like 1

It's great but overrated. Los Angeles 06 takes my vote.

This, especially with Axl's mind blowing vocals that night and the fact that Izzy was also there and they even played a couple of unusual songs...

RAR and KROQ Inland Invasion are the best newGNR shows I've heard, yeah

Inland Invasion was awful. I remember back in 2006, it was greeted with the same sense of disappointment as many of the recent gigs. We knew Axl was having a very strong year, and then when it came time to get a pro-shot recording (I don't think Rock Am Ring had been aired yet, so it was our first '06 pro shot full gig), he was having a big off night. He sounded weak, the band's mixing was poor, the whole thing was a complete mess. It's one of their worst shows, imo.

Abysmal.

Rock Am Ring, Universal Ampitheatre (LA) '06, and Download Festival are three of the best gigs. Download partially because of the context, how he got pissed off by the crowd, then won them back by the end of Paradise City, and because of how strong his voice was when he stopped running around. LA '06 has the best mix of rasp and Mickey.

another trivia note:

back in 2006 i uploaded the Rock Am Ring version of WTTJ to my youtube channel. it received over a million views and tons of likes -- then one day mysteriously got pulled by 'uzi suicidal llc' and (in combination with a fanmade music video also being pulled at the same time) resulted in me getting my youtube account banned. hmm...

I play Jungle from this all the time, the scream and the build up are just unreal. What I would give to have Axl regain that fire in his belly. Rock Am Ring is one of the few times something didn't go horribly wrong during a pro shot concert.

ER are you confusing inland show with rio? That was the first full length pro shot. Although it was the sound that wasnt mixed which made the show poor.

my bad, i forgot about rio.

but no, i very much recall watching the live stream of KROQ and everybody being really underwhelmed. that, and Rio IV, were both disappointing, especially considering how strong Axl was at other shows that year. i think a lot of it had to do with the sound setup not being ideal, at least for the streaming, and the sound mix ended up being shit.