Film sequels that surpassed their originals.

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is actually a prequel: it was set during the American Civil War whereas the other two were post-bellum - see for example the grave in A Fistfull of Dollars, 1873. Also, if you notice, Eastwood's 'man with no name' gains his distinctive 'dollars' attire during the course of the The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Other than the clothes is there any reason to think GBU and Dollars are part of the same universe/storyline?

The Good, the Bad and the Ugly is actually a prequel: it was set during the American Civil War whereas the other two were post-bellum - see for example the grave in A Fistfull of Dollars, 1873. Also, if you notice, Eastwood's 'man with no name' gains his distinctive 'dollars' attire during the course of the The Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

Other than the clothes is there any reason to think GBU and Dollars are part of the same universe/storyline?

All three have ‘the man with no name’ character, played in a similar gruff manner by Clint Eastwood, and, why would Leone have Clint's character in The Good, the Bad and the Ugly acquire the exact same clothes as Clint’s character possessed in A Fistful of Dollars and For A Few Dollars More?

When i first read the thread title i immedietly thought "Terminator 2".

Aliens. I get that Alien is more of a suspense film but i think it's dated. The whole saga would have been more effective if Ripley was fit. Call me shallow, but they'd never make sigourney the lead if it were made today.

KBV2 - leaps and bounds over the first. I was never into grindhouse kung Fu so i found the first one harder to relate too. Sequal had better music, better story and more time to explain the whole plot.

It's been years since I've seen the godfather. I remember the sequal being better

Terminator 2 is better than Terminator.

Terminator is a low budget masterpiece. Brilliantly scripted and darker than T2. Its great how it plays out with tremendous suspense every time. From the grainy, dirty image, to the harsh, metallic industrial score, every last element of 'The Terminator' serves to keep the audience ill at ease and on edge; even the final shot of a pregnant Sarah Connor riding into the sunset features encroaching storm clouds. Also, Arnold's 'Fuck You, Asshole' villainy in the first plays better than his poker-faced nice-cyborg thing in the sequel, not to mention 'I'll be back' wins out over 'Hasta la vista, baby' in a walk.
No.
See, I feel that Aliens is more dated than Alien. Those 80's jock military douchebags ruin the film, far worse than anything in Alien.

I love The Good, The Bad, and The Ugly. Increadible film, I really need to watch the other two

I think the only thing they had in common was the character type Eastwood plays. He perfected it in each film. How did he do it? By saying fewer lines.

• 2 weeks later...

For everyone that has watched the new Godzilla, is it fair to say it has surpassed all previous Godzilla releases?

Quite a lot of them. I think it has surpassed the Millenium Series. The Show and Heisei series have superior films

Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is easily the best MI film.

Terminator 1 is superior to 2. Terminator 1 is an atmosphere, well written, taut, lean horror-thriller with a really neat concept. It's very well executed, lean, perfect pacing, with some really amazing action scenes and a lot of suspense. It's one of the greatest science fiction films of all time. T2, while a great sequel, and a great action movie, is just that: It's a summer action flick.

• Like 2

The Devil's Rejects was better than House of a 1000 corpses. Check them out. Capt. Spaulding is hilarious.

The Devil's Rejects is an awful, awful film. One of the worst I've seen, alongside Cannibal Holocaust.

The Devil's Rejects was better than House of a 1000 corpses. Check them out. Capt. Spaulding is hilarious.

The Devil's Rejects is an awful, awful film. One of the worst I've seen, alongside Cannibal Holocaust.

Well House of a 1000 Corpses is still a shittier film, so it qualified to get a mention in this thread.

Well House of a 1000 Corpses is still a shittier film, so it qualified to get a mention in this thread.

:lol: Guess I won't be seeing House of a 1000 Corpses then ;)

• Like 1

I think we can spend a long time on Alien vs. Aliens.

Where do you stand on this???

I actually just watched both Aliens and Promethius this weekend, so the whole "alien" thing is pretty fresh in my mind. Which is the better film Alien or Aliens??? Hmm??? I guess it depends on which genre you prefer horror or action. Alien is the clear winner for horror/suspense, but Aliens is by faaarr the superior action flick. It's really a toss up for me when it comes to these two films. Alien is the original, the film that not only spawned sequels, it also spawned the alien vs predetor and now the Promethious films, so that makes me lean towards the original. But having said that, Aliens IS more entertaining imo, and isn't entertainment what it's all about??? It's a coin flip for me, it's just a shame that that series hit the shits after Aliens.

I own both Alien and Aliens. I remember buying those in best buy a few years ago, the clerk was trying to sell me an Alien box set with all of the films, including the perdetor vs films. I looked at the dude and said "why am I going to spend an extra $40 (ruffly) for the whole series when the first two are the only good ones?" He looked at me and said "that's a good point." lol. It's a shame the shitter that series went down starting with Alien 3, and ressurection was even worse....

• Like 1

I think I'd take Alien, though both films are outstanding.

I really enjoyed Prometheus, did ye like it Mike?

Yes I did. Really excited to where that series is going . I know they plan on distancing themselves from the Alien series, but I really enjoyed seeing where the Alien came from. This was probably my 3rd time watching Prometheus, and I never realized that the planet in Aliens is the same one from both Prometheus and Alien. It's just what 100 years maybe even more into the future (with all of the time Ripley spent sleeping in space) that makes everything all the more plausible imo.

The thing about these films that I love and hate at the same time, is that they pretty much exist in the same universe now don't they? Aliens, Predator, Prometheus, and even Avatar pretty much exist in the same universe. I'm not sure Ridley Scott and James Cameron would agree with that, but given the way these films intertwine, they have to be. Honestly James Cameron makes the same damn movie (except for Titanic) every time he makes a film. Terminator, Aliens, Avatar all have a lot of similarities. Terminator is the furthest away, but Aliens and Avatar have VERY similar characteristics. Cameron did Terminator before Aliens correct??? Obviously Aliens isn't Cameron's original story, but given how much he "borrowed" for Avatar, and given how good Aliens is, makes me think that Avatar does exist in the same universe. When you add what Ridley Scott has going the Prometheus series, it just gets me all excited. I would love someday in the future to see Avatar vs Prometheus vs Aliens vs Predator. How fucking fun would that be??? I know it will never happen, but they are connected. Honestly it's my 2nd favorite "space series" behind Star Wars. After it's all said and done, when the Avatar and Prometheus films are complete, I'm sure I will watch Prometheus (1,2,3 however Scott makes), then watch Alien and Aliens, then watch Avatar (1,2,3 however many Cameron makes) then for fun watch Alien vs Predator!!!! HAHA