May 21st, 2014 - Las Vegas, NV - No Trickery!

With all due respect I think it's unfair that you say you have 'inside information' but won't disclose where it came from. I don't expect you to name names of course but an area within the band's circle who is credible enough to give this information would be nice.

It's a bit like a kid saying "I know something you don't know", then leaving so much speculation that BBF is leaving, maybe DJ or Tommy are leaving, people already naming guitarists as replacements when you don't disclose where this information actually comes from.

Major issues behind the scenes during the SA tour & changes in general could be anything from a change of lineup or Duff taking over from time to time so others can do their projects without actually leaving. It's like the Axl is retiring rumour, what little you give is turning into pages and pages of what could be happening.

I realise you want to be the first to get in with information before Jarmo (unless he's your source of info) but it does take the shine off these shows when you know something might be happening that will make fans unhappy when the band seem to be happy with each other on stage. It's likely now BBF is dealing with hundreds of tweets asking him i he's leaving which is going to drive him nuts. :shrugs:

Absolutely correct.

He's just big timing us with his "I'm so plugged in" routine. And damn it to hell how much he'd love to tell us, but...can't.

Like I say I don't mean any disrespect to Subs, I just don't like rumours & unless he or his source can confirm something I'll wait until real announcements are made by the band or management.

Lets be fair, they've added Civil War and Estranged and occasionally break out TWAT and Catcher. That's about the most progress there's been apart from Duff and two Ashba solos.

They added Estranged over 3 years ago.

Bruce Springsteen played OVER TWO HUNDRED songs on his last tour:

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?tour=Wrecking+Ball+Tour

Prince has only played OVER ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY songs in 2014 alone!!

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/prince-13d6b9ed.html?year=2014

Not defending anything but Springsteen and Prince has at least 10 times as many songs to choose from. They have massive discographies.

That's a fair point, Axl ought to have developed GNR's catalogue though so he could mix and match and give new guns more of the set, if he plays 60% classic stuff, cut some solo sections/covers and the rest new stuff the attendances would've done fine, might've even converted a lot more folks with promotion and pushing the new stuff live but we all know what is happening now.

If so I'd thank bumble for the last 8 years. He is an incredable musician, no ego and for the fans. There must be a replacement lined up as they were talking about planning a europe tour.

I noticed ron had a song "Argentina" that he wrote for GNR, now it seems to be for his solo album.

Lets be fair, they've added Civil War and Estranged and occasionally break out TWAT and Catcher. That's about the most progress there's been apart from Duff and two Ashba solos.

They added Estranged over 3 years ago. Bruce Springsteen played OVER TWO HUNDRED songs on his last tour:http://www.setlist.fm/stats/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?tour=Wrecking+Ball+Tour Prince has only played OVER ONE HUNDRED AND THIRTY songs in 2014 alone!!http://www.setlist.fm/stats/prince-13d6b9ed.html?year=2014
Not defending anything but Springsteen and Prince has at least 10 times as many songs to choose from. They have massive discographies.

I'm sure you can come up with some statistical analysis that determines the relative variation in the set lists for each artist. :)

http://www.setlist.fm/stats/bruce-springsteen-2bd6dcce.html?tour=Wrecking+Ball+Tour

True, but it's not as though GNR's discography is limited to the hits or Appetite. There are a lot of songs they don't play that most GNR fans, casual or hardcore, would love to hear.

He BEGGED us to move on and when we finally did, accepted the new album, new members, all the BS in general, he took 100 steps back and put us in hell again.

Oh c'mon...

Axl doesn't have a good voice anymore (at least not in condition to do ANYTHING with his brandname)

It is cristal clear, but we're just over exaggregating the mistery part i guesss

Deep down inside we all know that Axl 2011 onward went to a nostalgia mode finally after realized he is being "rusty" for a live performance. he doesn't want to rehearse because of superstition

It's pretty simple if you try and look at it from an objective standpoint. he is old and doesn't get any better. he blows his voice in 2010 finally, imo

In 2011 he sang great, I was there.... But I wasn't talking about shows, Im talking about albums. He fooled us and sort of lied, I don't know, don't wanna judge him so hard. But all the problems with Slash and former members, his statements and accusations towards them don't match the final results. After he got GN'R name and fired/scared away all original members he couldn't keep a new line-up either or release as many albums as he was supposed to do.

He made us believe the ex-members were the reason for his stagnation. Ok, more than a decade past, ex-members are long gone and happy, and he's still in stagnation..... so.... who's to blame?

I'm pissed off at that "promise" and at finding out that it doesn't look like old members are the cause of this failure, but Axl himself, not being able to write/work with anyone or to release an album for whatever reasons....

I don't want him to tour anymore if he can't sing live. But he could be recording at studio and that's it. I will be happy with buying his music because truth is I can't attend all concerts, so to me, its somewhat the same.

Edited by tinyrobot
  • Like 1

True, but it's not as though GNR's discography is limited to the hits or Appetite. There are a lot of songs they don't play that most GNR fans, casual or hardcore, would love to hear.

I think the casual fans get everything they want song-wise at GNR gigs, their main complaint seems to be the length of the shows (they want to hear WTTJ, SCOM, NR, PC and then book it). For the hardcores, yeah, they want to hear songs like Yesterdays, Pretty Tied Up, Coma, TWAT, Prostitute... I think it's crazy expecting Axl to sing Perfect Crime or Locomotive or OMG, though. I think he'd have struggled with those in '06 and '10, they're just unrelenting tracks in terms of vocals.

Edited by Amir

Sure, I really wasn't defending anything, just pointing out that Springsteen and especially Prince aren't good comparisons.

It'd be nice to hear Yesterdays, 14 Years, Dust N' Bones, Prostitute, IRS, RNDTH, Garden of Eden in regular rotation, the set is a decent mix, esp. since Estranged and Civil War but this is new GNR, that's the main issue I have and there's one album in an absolute chunk of years gone by. If they mixed the set up constantly with different CD songs, Illusion+Appetite songs, different covers and solo spots, it'd be great to see as an avid fan and see the variation but the new music lacking will always hang over it, I'd much rather hear Going Down than any of the above tracks cause it would signify intent and progress, a realization to push these guys to reach their potential before its too late to mean anything more.

SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:
downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:
SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:
Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:
RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Sure, I really wasn't defending anything, just pointing out that Springsteen and especially Prince aren't good comparisons.

Who is a good comparison? Motley Crue? Def Leppard? Band's that are full-blown nostalgia acts. Artists like Springsteen and Prince care about their fans that they want them to hear their music. Axl only cares about money. Springsteen could have played the last decade on touring based on Born to Run and Born in the USA. But, he's released albums every few years to keep himself fresh and his fans happy. Not to mention he's in tremendous shape and can still sing great. And he's 14 year's OLDER than Axl.

Axl had YEARS to release multiple albums of new material, and he sat on one of a decade that when it came out, it was a joke. And after 5 years, we have no new album in sight. Axl supposedly has a vault full of songs, so why not release them? Or atleast play them live? Maybe Dead Horse, Sorry, The Garden, hell what happened to IRS? People like me and many other's are pissed because Axl's has a large category to choose from, but continue to play the same show EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

Edited by GNR123GNR456
  • Like 2

I believe he's handed in his notice (not for the first time though) and Axl's fed up with his "im off, IM BACK! im off IM BACK" routine. I have a feeling Axl will call his bluff at the end of Vegas regardless of another potential U-Turn. I'm also led to believe there's been a major issue behind the scenes during the recent SA Tour and there will be some changes in general. Don't think this should be taken as negative though, depending on your stance actually, far from it.

I'm skeptical given his comments in that recent Video interview where he talked about what songs he'd like to play on future tours.We will see.Ali

Your call dude but I can assure you what's stated there AT IT CURRENTLY STANDS (ie things change!) is the truth from the inside.

With all due respect I think it's unfair that you say you have 'inside information' but won't disclose where it came from. I don't expect you to name names of course but an area within the band's circle who is credible enough to give this information would be nice.

It's a bit like a kid saying "I know something you don't know", then leaving so much speculation that BBF is leaving, maybe DJ or Tommy are leaving, people already naming guitarists as replacements when you don't disclose where this information actually comes from.

Major issues behind the scenes during the SA tour & changes in general could be anything from a change of lineup or Duff taking over from time to time so others can do their projects without actually leaving. It's like the Axl is retiring rumour, what little you give is turning into pages and pages of what could be happening.

I realise you want to be the first to get in with information before Jarmo (unless he's your source of info) but it does take the shine off these shows when you know something might be happening that will make fans unhappy when the band seem to be happy with each other on stage. It's likely now BBF is dealing with hundreds of tweets asking him i he's leaving which is going to drive him nuts. :shrugs:

As long as Subs's inside info proves accurate, I don't mind who his source is. I haven't been around here that long, but to me, he seems to have a credible source, so that's alright by me.

As for BBF: there have been rumors about him leaving the band all the time, he often fueled these rumors, so I don't think it's that big of a deal. (Subs alluding to his departure, I mean.) I don't think anyone will be falling from their chair reading about him possibly leaving after Vegas. We'll see what happens, of course. But wasn't there a poster on here that had dinner with BBF in SA and said that he knew more, but wasn't allowed to divulge ? I interpreted that too as BBF leaving the band in the near future. (I don't remember who the poster was, sorry. Does anyone else remember maybe ?)

I am curious about the 'changes in general' though!

It'd be nice to hear Yesterdays, 14 Years, Dust N' Bones, Prostitute, IRS, RNDTH, Garden of Eden in regular rotation, the set is a decent mix, esp. since Estranged and Civil War but this is new GNR, that's the main issue I have and there's one album in an absolute chunk of years gone by. If they mixed the set up constantly with different CD songs, Illusion+Appetite songs, different covers and solo spots, it'd be great to see as an avid fan and see the variation but the new music lacking will always hang over it, I'd much rather hear Going Down than any of the above tracks cause it would signify intent and progress, a realization to push these guys to reach their potential before its too late to mean anything more.

some songs should only be played at a reunion show (yesterdays, etc.)

But Axl certainly has enough that he does not have to keep playing the same 25. Largely in the same order.

Amir, Axl could have done ANYTHING justice in 2006-2010. In the Youtube video that showcases Axl's range from lowest to highest note, the highest note he sings anywhere that isn't just a squeal (e.g. end of Coma) is during Sailing in 2006. If his issue was physically being able to replicate intense studio vocals like Locomotive and Perfect Crime then he wouldn't even be attempting YCBM in 2011-2014 yet he does every show.

And speaking of Sailing: that is the kind of spontaneous, awesome shit that Prince and Springsteen do all the time.

Why do Springsteen and Prince fans bitch about setlists? Because they're holding their favourite artists to the standards they've set for themselves. Axl has set his standards so incredibly low that he has gotten the audience he deserves i.e. an extremely casual, musically illiterate one with very low, basic expectations.

I don't think that Prince and Springsteen are unfair comparisons just because of their huge catalogues. As magisme says, i'm pretty sure that you could show statistically that in relative terms Axl's sets vs releases are still vastly more stagnant than those artists or almost anyone else.

If he does happen to drag this sorry show around the UK one more time, whether it's with the current band or with Duff and some new hack then I will not be wasting my time or money on it.

• Like 1

SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:
downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:
SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:
Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:
RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Who is a good comparison? Motley Crue? Def Leppard? Band's that are full-blown nostalgia acts. Artists like Springsteen and Prince care about their fans that they want them to hear their music. Axl only cares about money. Springsteen could have played the last decade on touring based on Born to Run and Born in the USA. But, he's released albums every few years to keep himself fresh and his fans happy. Not to mention he's in tremendous shape and can still sing great. And he's 14 year's OLDER than Axl.

Axl had YEARS to release multiple albums of new material, and he sat on one of a decade that when it came out, it was a joke. And after 5 years, we have no new album in sight. Axl supposedly has a vault full of songs, so why not release them? Or atleast play them live? Maybe Dead Horse, Sorry, The Garden, hell what happened to IRS? People like me and many other's are pissed because Axl's has a large category to choose from, but continue to play the same show EVERY SINGLE NIGHT.

Because he wants every album to be as successful as AFD. He thought CHINDEM was going to be the next AFD and fooled us all to believe he was writting the best GNR record EVER.

ChinDem is a great album, I love it, but its nowhere near AFD success and impact. Partly due to the lame promotion they gave it.... So.... I don't know why he's taking another decade for the next one....

I think if he released an album every 2-3 years, at some point, he would get the training to write and produce amazing albums.

Amir, Axl could have done ANYTHING justice in 2006-2010. In the Youtube video that showcases Axl's range from lowest to highest note, the highest note he sings anywhere that isn't just a squeal (e.g. end of Coma) is during Sailing in 2006. If his issue was physically being able to replicate intense studio vocals like Locomotive and Perfect Crime then he wouldn't even be attempting YCBM in 2011-2014 yet he does every show.

He sings YCBM because it's what most of the casual fans want to hear; if it wasn't an expected staple of a GNR set I'm pretty sure he'd have dropped it after 2010. While I love the 2010 rasp, it could be quite pitchy compared to some '06 shows, and he still needed oxygen breaks, breaks that are just not there when needed in Locomotive and OMG. Perfect Crime is just brutal to sing live.

He had the energy to do it at something like Hammerstein, but by '09 I don't think he was in good enough shape to pull it off (not that I'm fussed, I don't like the song).

tinyrobot, on 22 May 2014 - 10:41 AM, said:
GNR123GNR456, on 22 May 2014 - 10:30 AM, said:
SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:
downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:downzy, on 22 May 2014 - 10:16 AM, said:
SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:SoulMonster, on 22 May 2014 - 10:08 AM, said:
Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:Jordan Rose, on 22 May 2014 - 09:05 AM, said:
RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:RandallFlagg, on 22 May 2014 - 07:44 AM, said:

Because he wants every album to be as successful as AFD. He thought CHINDEM was going to be the next AFD and fooled us all to believe he was writting the best GNR record EVER.

ChinDem is a great album, I love it, but its nowhere near AFD success and impact. Partly due to the lame promotion they gave it.... So.... I don't know why he's taking another decade for the next one....

I think if he released an album every 2-3 years, at some point, he would get the training to write and produce amazing albums.

I think it has something to do with that, and the label just not trusting Axl anymore. He threw away the old band, threw away multiple members of the new band, and is now throwing away his legacy. He's no taking another decade to release a new album, there won't be a new album. DJ has been spewing bullshit about how he's written songs for Axl, how their working on new material since he came in 2009. We've got nothing new but Estranged and Civil War. Two song's DJ has nothing to do with.

He sings YCBM because it's what most of the casual fans want to hear; if it wasn't an expected staple of a GNR set I'm pretty sure he'd have dropped it after 2010. While I love the 2010 rasp, it could be quite pitchy compared to some '06 shows, and he still needed oxygen breaks, breaks that are just not there when needed in Locomotive and OMG. Perfect Crime is just brutal to sing live.

Yes, ok, but my point is that his ability to perform any given song to a decent standard is clearly not the reason why he's been playing the exact same shit in the same order for so long. I'd say a combination of insecurity and apathy is the reason.

Ih he actually wanted to perform any of these hard-to-sing songs then there's nothing to suggest he simply wouldn't because they're too hard or lack breaks for oxygen. He sang the absolute shit out of Nice Boys and Rosie in 2010 and could easily have had a decent enough stab at anything.

Put it this way: do you think Axl from the 02 in 2010 would have pulled off better versions of Locomotive/OMG/Twat/Prostitute than 2014 Axl singing *enter any song ever*?

I believe he's handed in his notice (not for the first time though) and Axl's fed up with his "im off, IM BACK! im off IM BACK" routine. I have a feeling Axl will call his bluff at the end of Vegas regardless of another potential U-Turn. I'm also led to believe there's been a major issue behind the scenes during the recent SA Tour and there will be some changes in general. Don't think this should be taken as negative though, depending on your stance actually, far from it.

I'm skeptical given his comments in that recent Video interview where he talked about what songs he'd like to play on future tours.We will see.Ali

Your call dude but I can assure you what's stated there AT IT CURRENTLY STANDS (ie things change!) is the truth from the inside.

Rumour and innuendo with this band is like self induced brain damage.. nothing that a bit of PR couldn't solve. Supposing that what goes on in GNR is none of our business...Except the wait and buy a ticket part ..maybe invest in a album and a shirt part....the legacy of this band is rumour and innuendo and thats sometimes all that anyone can do. I'll take a good rumour anyday vs silence. I'll fill the void of non communication and false leads and bullshit spin.

THere was a time i wanted this band to go on forever...now... GNR seems to have said and done everything its going to ever do and regardless of the wonderboys in the background...id cheer a major a shakeup even if it meant the retirement of the name and of Axl.