May 21st, 2014 - Las Vegas, NV - No Trickery!

Okay, I'll give my opinion after reading through this thread.

To say the setlist (And stage set compared to the last residency) is underwhelming is pretty much a given, I very seriously doubt hardly anyone on here would refute that. Can't really comment on the performance as there aren't many videos up yet, but I'd expect something comparable to Bethlehem or ROTR. All that said, am I still excited to go to Vegas? Yes. Am I excited for the gigs? Yes. Am I expecting a show radically different to any other GN'R show I've seen? No. I'm also not ready to crucify them after one gig though.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's unfair to compare GN'R to Prince or Springsteen as some have done already in this thread. After all, GN'R has historically varied their setlists, if not to the extent of those two. However, I'll bring up an example that less people are familiar with, because first of all, it's a band I'm more familiar with, and second because the scenario applies closer to GN'R doing a residency.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones do a residency, the Hometown Throwdown, every December in Boston. They only do 3 nights as opposed to 9 or 12, but they still manage to do FAR more with the setlists in a quarter of the number of gigs. Last year they did about 70 different songs only played at 1 show, 4 songs at all 3 shows, and 8 or so at 2 shows. And it's not like they play the same batch of 80 songs or whatever every year; probably 40% of the songs weren't present the year before. They play songs they've never played live before, they play songs they haven't played in 20+ years, and they play some extremely obscure b-sides.

The point I'm trying to make is, bands try to make it an event when they have a residency, and often times they'll get a lot of people traveling from all over for them. I think that makes them a perfect scenario to reward real diehard fans with fresh and exciting setlists, not an excuse to play the same show every night and assume different people will see it.

The sad thing is all Axl would have to do is play one new unreleased song and the majority of people here would be happy and have some hope again that better days were ahead...........

He could bang one of those pole dancers across his piano and i'd be happier.

Read this shit, what the hell? I hope he fuckin' quits, he can do way better than this garbage. I know he is a drama queen but this is so shitty to read. They "made" him tour? Fuck that, don't tell me they couldn't find a fill in or cancel a year of touring. Its not like the 2011 tour added anything that significant. I love the show I got in 2011 (and 2012), but there is zero reason they couldn't have postponed those tours a year to help him if they had to. Its not like Axl is evolving the band.

Fuck fake Guns N' Roses

The aftermath of the car accident

So... Yeah. That was the non-scripted part.

- I could even continue. As to why they might not wanna call me. You know, so there's all of that baggage, and there's awkwardness from all that. And then when I had the car accident (in 2011, ed.), and I was drugged up for a good year, loaded with steroids and pain pills and alcohol and every combination you can come up with. I was in constant pain and a little damaged from the concussion, and I really wasn't myself. I was very sick and I was very angry and very resentful that I had to tour and kinda keep the band together when I needed to heal. Because they couldn't - wouldn't - do it without me, all of it.

You were forced to tour?

- Well, it's not that I was forced. I had to make the decision of either keeping Guns N' Roses going or taking care of my body. And I have nerve damage in both arms, and I'm gonna be in pain for the rest of my life... But I kept Guns N' Roses alive. And that was the trade-off.

How do you feel about this whole situation, looking back on it two years later?

- Well, after a year I had to go through a 112-day, very strict cleanse to get all the drugs and residue and everything out of my body. And I had to start reading, as part of that cleanse, a lot of books from Indian gurus, and Richard would actually recommend lots of books for me and all kinds of things to help. Just to get my mind in the right place, and to get past all that, to kinda get sane again. ‘Cause, I mean, when you torture yourself for a year - post traumatic stress is a real thing, and to have been completely disassociated and becoming very reckless and destructive - getting past that was a really tough time. And I did try and commit suicide on tour in 2011.

Really?

- Didn't work! (laughs) Obviously.

What did you do?

- Uh... I'm not a drinker, but I tried to drink myself to death. Yeah. In the hotel room in New York. And, just... Didn't tell anybody that my goal was to die. I just drank as much as I could as fast as I could. I laid on the bed, crossed my legs, put my hands on my chest and waited to die. Just waiting for the alcohol poisoning to kick in. And to black out. Didn't quite work. And it was a very difficult week after that. And this is all ‘cause of that fucking car accident.

Yeah.

- I mean, even after the car accident, I couldn't raise my arms. I had to re-learn how to move my whole body. I had to re-learn how to pick things up. How to sleep. How to walk, how to get out of a chair. I had to change every single thing. You have to relax this muscle, you have to pull your shoulders back and tuck your neck. I had to re-learn how to move - otherwise it just pops the wound again, and then you're in pain for a month. So, imagine that, and then putting on a 30-pound double-neck and trying to run around a stage for three hours. All I can say is that - and I say it all the time, when people say, “if you had one wish in life, what was it?” - it's that the woman drove faster. And finished the fucking job. If I had the choice, I would rather never have lived through that.

Really?

- Abso-fucking-lutely. If I had one wish, it was that I had died in that accident. But, I didn't. And I'm here now. And that part of it is done. So now it's about making peace with the world, with yourself, accepting it and just doing what you can. You know, acknowledging that your time is short.

EDIT- How can he say shit like that? He has a wife. I feel so bad for her... reading that

damn i never knew this interview thats fucking shocking i feel so bad for bumble i already appreciated him alot and respected him for his dedication to the fans and the music and the person he is but reading this leaves you just with your mouth wide open

Okay, I'll give my opinion after reading through this thread.

To say the setlist (And stage set compared to the last residency) is underwhelming is pretty much a given, I very seriously doubt hardly anyone on here would refute that. Can't really comment on the performance as there aren't many videos up yet, but I'd expect something comparable to Bethlehem or ROTR. All that said, am I still excited to go to Vegas? Yes. Am I excited for the gigs? Yes. Am I expecting a show radically different to any other GN'R show I've seen? No. I'm also not ready to crucify them after one gig though.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's unfair to compare GN'R to Prince or Springsteen as some have done already in this thread. After all, GN'R has historically varied their setlists, if not to the extent of those two. However, I'll bring up an example that less people are familiar with, because first of all, it's a band I'm more familiar with, and second because the scenario applies closer to GN'R doing a residency.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones do a residency, the Hometown Throwdown, every December in Boston. They only do 3 nights as opposed to 9 or 12, but they still manage to do FAR more with the setlists in a quarter of the number of gigs. Last year they did about 70 different songs only played at 1 show, 4 songs at all 3 shows, and 8 or so at 2 shows. And it's not like they play the same batch of 80 songs or whatever every year; probably 40% of the songs weren't present the year before. They play songs they've never played live before, they play songs they haven't played in 20+ years, and they play some extremely obscure b-sides.

The point I'm trying to make is, bands try to make it an event when they have a residency, and often times they'll get a lot of people traveling from all over for them. I think that makes them a perfect scenario to reward real diehard fans with fresh and exciting setlists, not an excuse to play the same show every night and assume different people will see it.

This.

I am a huge BossToneS fan. They were the band that replaced GnR when I was a teenager, and Guns became less active. I went back to GnR after the BossToneS stopped being as active.

The BossTones always have a new set, even when they tour different cities. They do that because they know many have seen them before. I certainly too am excited for my show, but part of me is a bit pissed off that I am seeing the same set list for teh 7th time... Is it really too much to expect that a live band with multiple albums would mix up a set list by a few songs?

GRRRR!!!!!!!!

It sure would be sweet if Axl decides to release new music in the not so distant future.

How about a quick album or EP in 2014 that features the best of the leftover CD songs.

And then a 2015 full length album that features 14 songs written by the current band?

It sure would be sweet if Axl decides to release new music in the not so distant future.

How about a quick album or EP in 2014 that features the best of the leftover CD songs.

And then a 2015 full length album that features 14 songs written by the current band?

sure that would be great. the creative juices aren't flowing with this band, axl needs something or someone to inspire him. I think he's heard what these guys have to offer and he's not interested.

Well, I re-watched the interview from That Metal Show and Eddie did ask Axl if it was true that there were other songs recorded for CD but didn't make the cd and Axl did say yes.

I wonder if Axl just doesn't like those songs or he's not in any hurry to release any new music. He seemed a little upset when he said the record company wanted a release date for CD. He was like why?

I don't know if Axl just doesn't care to release anything new or like you said he's not inspired anymore? I mean DJ has been writing stuff with Nikki Sixx for Sixx AM, so it's not like the members don't write music.

I do like GNR live, but maybe the writing magic that the original members had together just isn't there with this band? Whatever the reason, Axl never gives a real answer. It's maybe in the future and the other members don't say much when asked about future releases either.

Axl cannot take another 10 or 15 years to release any new music, because he and we don't have that kind of time to keep waiting.

I would rather Axl just say, this is it! This is GNR and I won't release any new music. At least then we would know not to hope anymore. We won't like it but at least we would know.

If it's true Bumblefoot is leaving, then how long does this band have?

Why does he keep looking at the piano keys? He gets too away from the mic and you can barely hear him.

So he can play the piano?

That's the obvious answer. However, by doing that several times, he's getting distracted and you can't hear his voice in the mic. First time I have noticed this. :shrugs:

Why does he keep looking at the piano keys? He gets too away from the mic and you can barely hear him.

So he can play the piano?

That's the obvious answer. However, by doing that several times, he's getting distracted and you can't hear his voice in the mic. First time I have noticed this. :shrugs:

It's because he's also wearing black shades ¬¬

He needs to see the keys so he doesnt hit the wrong ones and looking through dark shades is difficult, so he has to focus the sight on the keys.... Also microphone is a bit higher than it should be... In the begining he fixes it a bit but it doesnt help.

If he'd get rid of all those layers of crap, he could see better!

31 min :)

how the intro worked ? "far from any road" was played over the P.A. and then Nicolas Cage came and introcuded the band ? Curious to see that

Holy shit Vegas crowds suck. Could not be more different from Argentina, I thought I was going to die on numerous occasions during the Buenos Aires gig :lol:

Mini-Jam between CD and WTTJ? Por qué? That's a little odd. Were they planning to go into another song, or just giving Axl more time?

Ooof, that Better intro... :no:

Lasers are pretty cool. Axl sounds decent on Better.

• Like 1

I only glanced at the vid, but is the production even scaled down compared to 2012?

How is this any different or better?

Lasers, man, LASERS.

Unless there were lasers at the last residency and I didn't notice :P