May 21st, 2014 - Las Vegas, NV - No Trickery!

So Bumblefoot's supposed departure and "Nicolas Cage is cool" and the piano riser that looks like someone built it in their backyard are the highlights of what this new residency has to offer?

I guess I'm not dropping everything and grabbing a flight to Vegas. :ph34r:

Axl is also joking a lot on stage and seems to be in good mood. (I :lol: every time I read this on reviews)

• Like 1

He brought out a shank against some band members in '06/'07.

Hold up, what?

RT: Exactly, which I tend to do often. Nah man, I don't think we have any nicknames. I started to think of a bunch, like Frank could be Frizzy because he's bald and the FR is in Frank. At one point Axl was calling me Shank.

WI: Really? Where'd that come from?

RT: Because I tried to stab three people on stage at a show in 2006.

WI: How'd that come about?

RT: How do things like that happen? They just happen.

http://www.bumblefoot.com/press/20100825_-_WickedInfo/20100825_-_WickedInfo.htm

Also:

Bumblefoot: "I think I've been a much bigger pain in the ass to Axl than he's been to me. That's for sure.

"I am very honest and probably honest when I shouldn't be. Kind of like when you should say nothing and be silent, instead of being silent, I'll [say something] usually on the radio. And he'll get a hundred e-mails about it. Or probably just hear from everyone else.

"I think he kind of, in a weird way, probably likes that I am a pain in the ass. Because even in the beginning, when we had the big management fight, before joining the band, I remember hanging out with him and he liked the fact that I went after his team of lawyers that the manager sent after me to try to take me down, and I just came out swinging at them. And I remember he said to me, we were hanging out one time, he was, like, 'Your balls, when they touch, they go, 'Clang.''

"But he knows what he's gonna get with me. I'm not gonna give him lip service and be dishonest. If he asks me something, I'm gonna tell him [what I think]. And he's a human being. He's like everyone else.

"You just want the truth. Nobody wants games or anything like that. You'd rather have honest bad news than be strung along with things that aren't true. And that's one thing about him is that… He's a human being. I know him as a person. I know what my flaws are, I know what his flaws are, I know what everybody's flaws are. And we're all just human."

http://www.blabbermouth.net/news/bumblefoot-didnt-want-to-betray-axl-rose-by-jamming-with-slash/

There's another bit about the shank incident where he's talking about he wasn't made feel welcome when he first joined, can't find it currently.

Damn, didn't know that.

Here we go, found the interview I was thinking about:

- I've always just felt like me in the band. But now I think that the other guys in the band feel like I'm actually part of the band and not the outsider-new-guy. Whether they would admit it or not, or agree or not, you know, I wasn't made. I was Morrie in “Goodfellas”. They were all made. I could have been as nice as possible and gone along with the business - but I was never gonna be made. I think now, at this point, I'm more accepted. I don't think I'll ever fully be accepted, honestly.

Really?

- I don't think so. The way I came into the thing, the way I was brought into it, and the things that transpired in the beginning - and even previous relationships that I inherited - everything about it... If I'm gonna be completely honest - and maybe it's not them, maybe it's me, maybe it's how I feel about it, and maybe it's just me passing that onto them and saying this is how they feel - but in my opinion, my thought is that, I don't know if I'll ever fully be part of it. I don't think I'm a guy they're gonna call and say, “hey, you wanna hang out?”, or “hey, I'm working on my solo stuff - you wanna lay a track?”, or “hey, I'm going out to dinner - you wanna join?”, or “hey, I'm coming to town, let's get together!”. I don't think I'm ever gonna be the first guy in the band that they call. And you know what? Maybe it's because I've been such a pain in the ass in the band! Maybe if it was the other way around, I wouldn't call me either. Because I haven't been the easiest.

In what way?

- Well, when I first joined the band, they did not want me in the band. And it's not me - they just didn't want a third guitar player. ‘Cause at the time they had worked it out for two guitar players. Then suddenly the old manager at the time hits them up one day, and the tour was, like, two weeks away. He said, “your new guitar player is coming down”. And they're like, “what the hell - who the fuck is this?”, and I showed up, and they wouldn't even look at me. For that first tour, you know, I was treated like shit. Like absolute shit. They wouldn't really talk to me. If I spoke, they'd roll their eyes and walk out of the room. I was made to feel as unwelcome as possible. Until, finally, I had to get a little violent. And then they started realizing that I'm not gonna leave. They're gonna get hurt.

In what way?

- Physically.

Really?

- Yeah. Then they realized that they couldn't bully me, and that I was gonna fight at a level they weren't prepared for. And then they started loosening up how nasty they were. It was about three years before they would really start warming up and start talking to me. Even about things back then. ‘Cause I didn't know why they were so cold to me, and I realized that they would have treated anybody that way. It was a set of circumstances, a lack of communication from the management that was there at the time, that set it up so it was almost like a stranger thrown into a crowded cage.

If you don't mind me asking, what was Axl's part in all this, the first three years?

- I think Axl liked that I was a fighter. I think so. Because even before I joined the band, I was kind of in a fight with management back in 2004, and I was swinging. And he told me that he liked that. I think the exact words he said were that “my balls go clang” - that they're brass! (laughs) But at the same time, I think Axl didn't realize the extent of it. And I told him, I said, “look, if I have a problem with people, I'm not gonna come to you with it - I'm gonna take care of it myself, and I'm not gonna bother you with it - it's between me and them”.

So he wasn't part of the bullying?

- No, he was really nice to me from the first time we were in a room jamming together. He was always good to me.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=2302

• Like 1

With all due respect I think it's unfair that you say you have 'inside information' but won't disclose where it came from. I don't expect you to name names of course but an area within the band's circle who is credible enough to give this information would be nice. It's a bit like a kid saying "I know something you don't know", then leaving so much speculation that BBF is leaving, maybe DJ or Tommy are leaving, people already naming guitarists as replacements when you don't disclose where this information actually comes from. Major issues behind the scenes during the SA tour & changes in general could be anything from a change of lineup or Duff taking over from time to time so others can do their projects without actually leaving. It's like the Axl is retiring rumour, what little you give is turning into pages and pages of what could be happening. I realise you want to be the first to get in with information before Jarmo (unless he's your source of info) but it does take the shine off these shows when you know something might be happening that will make fans unhappy when the band seem to be happy with each other on stage. It's likely now BBF is dealing with hundreds of tweets asking him i he's leaving which is going to drive him nuts. :shrugs:

Absolutely correct.He's just big timing us with his "I'm so plugged in" routine. And damn it to hell how much he'd love to tell us, but...can't.
Bullshit to both of you.

What do you want me to say? Would you rather I don't tell you for fear of spoiling the shows? Wtf!?

It may not happen but I 100% believe the story to be correct. Some of you are ungrateful tbh.... No prob if you'd prefer me not to say anything in future when I k ow many are interested. Like most reliable stories I can't release my source so if THATS what's putting you off the story, your issue not mine.

It is what it Is - take it for what it's worth or moan about "same source who said 2/3 new songs waaaaaaaaaaa - no offence I don't give a shit.

Subsy. I appreciate your effort. You are more than welcome to tell us whatever news or rumor you heard. If you´re wrong, well we already got NGOG´d so if we get UK Subs´d we can deal with it. And if you´re right about Ron or whatever issue I´m sure we are gonna have a lot of fun with an eventual Axl press release on the matter.

:D

• Like 1

Damn, didn't know that.

Here we go, found the interview I was thinking about:

- I've always just felt like me in the band. But now I think that the other guys in the band feel like I'm actually part of the band and not the outsider-new-guy. Whether they would admit it or not, or agree or not, you know, I wasn't made. I was Morrie in “Goodfellas”. They were all made. I could have been as nice as possible and gone along with the business - but I was never gonna be made. I think now, at this point, I'm more accepted. I don't think I'll ever fully be accepted, honestly.

Really?

- I don't think so. The way I came into the thing, the way I was brought into it, and the things that transpired in the beginning - and even previous relationships that I inherited - everything about it... If I'm gonna be completely honest - and maybe it's not them, maybe it's me, maybe it's how I feel about it, and maybe it's just me passing that onto them and saying this is how they feel - but in my opinion, my thought is that, I don't know if I'll ever fully be part of it. I don't think I'm a guy they're gonna call and say, “hey, you wanna hang out?”, or “hey, I'm working on my solo stuff - you wanna lay a track?”, or “hey, I'm going out to dinner - you wanna join?”, or “hey, I'm coming to town, let's get together!”. I don't think I'm ever gonna be the first guy in the band that they call. And you know what? Maybe it's because I've been such a pain in the ass in the band! Maybe if it was the other way around, I wouldn't call me either. Because I haven't been the easiest.

In what way?

- Well, when I first joined the band, they did not want me in the band. And it's not me - they just didn't want a third guitar player. ‘Cause at the time they had worked it out for two guitar players. Then suddenly the old manager at the time hits them up one day, and the tour was, like, two weeks away. He said, “your new guitar player is coming down”. And they're like, “what the hell - who the fuck is this?”, and I showed up, and they wouldn't even look at me. For that first tour, you know, I was treated like shit. Like absolute shit. They wouldn't really talk to me. If I spoke, they'd roll their eyes and walk out of the room. I was made to feel as unwelcome as possible. Until, finally, I had to get a little violent. And then they started realizing that I'm not gonna leave. They're gonna get hurt.

In what way?

- Physically.

Really?

- Yeah. Then they realized that they couldn't bully me, and that I was gonna fight at a level they weren't prepared for. And then they started loosening up how nasty they were. It was about three years before they would really start warming up and start talking to me. Even about things back then. ‘Cause I didn't know why they were so cold to me, and I realized that they would have treated anybody that way. It was a set of circumstances, a lack of communication from the management that was there at the time, that set it up so it was almost like a stranger thrown into a crowded cage.

If you don't mind me asking, what was Axl's part in all this, the first three years?

- I think Axl liked that I was a fighter. I think so. Because even before I joined the band, I was kind of in a fight with management back in 2004, and I was swinging. And he told me that he liked that. I think the exact words he said were that “my balls go clang” - that they're brass! (laughs) But at the same time, I think Axl didn't realize the extent of it. And I told him, I said, “look, if I have a problem with people, I'm not gonna come to you with it - I'm gonna take care of it myself, and I'm not gonna bother you with it - it's between me and them”.

So he wasn't part of the bullying?

- No, he was really nice to me from the first time we were in a room jamming together. He was always good to me.

http://www.heretodaygonetohell.com/news/shownews.php?newsid=2302

Jesus christ... what in the fuck? I never thought shit was this bad. Didn't he even form a little band with Chris and Frank at one point? I thought he got along with the actual band. This is really depressing to read

Fuck this band, just dissolve it and call Slash and the gang. I always loved this lineup, I mean, I still do. I have a lot of great memories following them and stuff but this is just shit. It sounds like some bad high school drama. Really sad to read. I knew there have been issues but nothing like this.

Could someone tell me what's worthy of discussion from this show? I don't have time to read through at the moment, thanks!

38 page summary

Axl played same old set list, voice was marginal, pole dancers from Kid Rocks entourage, cheesy Hard Rock light show, and I "think" BF is quitting

Read this shit, what the hell? I hope he fuckin' quits, he can do way better than this garbage. I know he is a drama queen but this is so shitty to read. They "made" him tour? Fuck that, don't tell me they couldn't find a fill in or cancel a year of touring. Its not like the 2011 tour added anything that significant. I love the show I got in 2011 (and 2012), but there is zero reason they couldn't have postponed those tours a year to help him if they had to. Its not like Axl is evolving the band.

Fuck fake Guns N' Roses

The aftermath of the car accident

So... Yeah. That was the non-scripted part.
- I could even continue. As to why they might not wanna call me. You know, so there's all of that baggage, and there's awkwardness from all that. And then when I had the car accident (in 2011, ed.), and I was drugged up for a good year, loaded with steroids and pain pills and alcohol and every combination you can come up with. I was in constant pain and a little damaged from the concussion, and I really wasn't myself. I was very sick and I was very angry and very resentful that I had to tour and kinda keep the band together when I needed to heal. Because they couldn't - wouldn't - do it without me, all of it.

You were forced to tour?
- Well, it's not that I was forced. I had to make the decision of either keeping Guns N' Roses going or taking care of my body. And I have nerve damage in both arms, and I'm gonna be in pain for the rest of my life... But I kept Guns N' Roses alive. And that was the trade-off.

How do you feel about this whole situation, looking back on it two years later?
- Well, after a year I had to go through a 112-day, very strict cleanse to get all the drugs and residue and everything out of my body. And I had to start reading, as part of that cleanse, a lot of books from Indian gurus, and Richard would actually recommend lots of books for me and all kinds of things to help. Just to get my mind in the right place, and to get past all that, to kinda get sane again. ‘Cause, I mean, when you torture yourself for a year - post traumatic stress is a real thing, and to have been completely disassociated and becoming very reckless and destructive - getting past that was a really tough time. And I did try and commit suicide on tour in 2011.

Really?
- Didn't work! (laughs) Obviously.

What did you do?
- Uh... I'm not a drinker, but I tried to drink myself to death. Yeah. In the hotel room in New York. And, just... Didn't tell anybody that my goal was to die. I just drank as much as I could as fast as I could. I laid on the bed, crossed my legs, put my hands on my chest and waited to die. Just waiting for the alcohol poisoning to kick in. And to black out. Didn't quite work. And it was a very difficult week after that. And this is all ‘cause of that fucking car accident.

Yeah.
- I mean, even after the car accident, I couldn't raise my arms. I had to re-learn how to move my whole body. I had to re-learn how to pick things up. How to sleep. How to walk, how to get out of a chair. I had to change every single thing. You have to relax this muscle, you have to pull your shoulders back and tuck your neck. I had to re-learn how to move - otherwise it just pops the wound again, and then you're in pain for a month. So, imagine that, and then putting on a 30-pound double-neck and trying to run around a stage for three hours. All I can say is that - and I say it all the time, when people say, “if you had one wish in life, what was it?” - it's that the woman drove faster. And finished the fucking job. If I had the choice, I would rather never have lived through that.

Really?
- Abso-fucking-lutely. If I had one wish, it was that I had died in that accident. But, I didn't. And I'm here now. And that part of it is done. So now it's about making peace with the world, with yourself, accepting it and just doing what you can. You know, acknowledging that your time is short.

EDIT- How can he say shit like that? He has a wife. I feel so bad for her... reading that

Edited by ZoSoRose

Could someone tell me what's worthy of discussion from this show? I don't have time to read through at the moment, thanks!

38 page summary

Axl played same old set list, voice was marginal, pole dancers from Kid Rocks entourage, cheesy Hard Rock light show, and I "think" BF is quitting

Yeah, we were all moaning about the lasers and the setlist and Fernando's birthday, like we always do, and then UK Subs decided to throw a bomb in the thread, so since then the show is of no interest to us anymore. It's all BBF. :P

EDIT- How can he say shit like that? He has a wife. I feel so bad for her... reading that

He seems to be in a much better and much healthier place these days. He's in much better physical shape and he has such a happy demeanor when you meet him, so it seems as if he's gotten past the demons plaguing him during the time of that interview.

...but yeah, for his wife to have read that at the time must have sucked. But I figure if he said it to an interviewer he probably already admitted those things to her previously. Bumble really isn't someone who doesn't speak his mind. He just posts it on Twitter. :lol:

Read this shit, what the hell? I hope he fuckin' quits, he can do way better than this garbage. I know he is a drama queen but this is so shitty to read. They "made" him tour? Fuck that, don't tell me they couldn't find a fill in or cancel a year of touring. Its not like the 2011 tour added anything that significant. I love the show I got in 2011 (and 2012), but there is zero reason they couldn't have postponed those tours a year to help him if they had to. Its not like Axl is evolving the band.

Fuck fake Guns N' Roses

The aftermath of the car accident

So... Yeah. That was the non-scripted part.

- I could even continue. As to why they might not wanna call me. You know, so there's all of that baggage, and there's awkwardness from all that. And then when I had the car accident (in 2011, ed.), and I was drugged up for a good year, loaded with steroids and pain pills and alcohol and every combination you can come up with. I was in constant pain and a little damaged from the concussion, and I really wasn't myself. I was very sick and I was very angry and very resentful that I had to tour and kinda keep the band together when I needed to heal. Because they couldn't - wouldn't - do it without me, all of it.

You were forced to tour?

- Well, it's not that I was forced. I had to make the decision of either keeping Guns N' Roses going or taking care of my body. And I have nerve damage in both arms, and I'm gonna be in pain for the rest of my life... But I kept Guns N' Roses alive. And that was the trade-off.

How do you feel about this whole situation, looking back on it two years later?

- Well, after a year I had to go through a 112-day, very strict cleanse to get all the drugs and residue and everything out of my body. And I had to start reading, as part of that cleanse, a lot of books from Indian gurus, and Richard would actually recommend lots of books for me and all kinds of things to help. Just to get my mind in the right place, and to get past all that, to kinda get sane again. ‘Cause, I mean, when you torture yourself for a year - post traumatic stress is a real thing, and to have been completely disassociated and becoming very reckless and destructive - getting past that was a really tough time. And I did try and commit suicide on tour in 2011.

Really?

- Didn't work! (laughs) Obviously.

What did you do?

- Uh... I'm not a drinker, but I tried to drink myself to death. Yeah. In the hotel room in New York. And, just... Didn't tell anybody that my goal was to die. I just drank as much as I could as fast as I could. I laid on the bed, crossed my legs, put my hands on my chest and waited to die. Just waiting for the alcohol poisoning to kick in. And to black out. Didn't quite work. And it was a very difficult week after that. And this is all ‘cause of that fucking car accident.

Yeah.

- I mean, even after the car accident, I couldn't raise my arms. I had to re-learn how to move my whole body. I had to re-learn how to pick things up. How to sleep. How to walk, how to get out of a chair. I had to change every single thing. You have to relax this muscle, you have to pull your shoulders back and tuck your neck. I had to re-learn how to move - otherwise it just pops the wound again, and then you're in pain for a month. So, imagine that, and then putting on a 30-pound double-neck and trying to run around a stage for three hours. All I can say is that - and I say it all the time, when people say, “if you had one wish in life, what was it?” - it's that the woman drove faster. And finished the fucking job. If I had the choice, I would rather never have lived through that.

Really?

- Abso-fucking-lutely. If I had one wish, it was that I had died in that accident. But, I didn't. And I'm here now. And that part of it is done. So now it's about making peace with the world, with yourself, accepting it and just doing what you can. You know, acknowledging that your time is short.

to be fair to ron i think he was in a really bad place at the time of this interview and borderline addicted to painkillers and drinking as well, so take it for what it's worth.

Okay, I'll give my opinion after reading through this thread.

To say the setlist (And stage set compared to the last residency) is underwhelming is pretty much a given, I very seriously doubt hardly anyone on here would refute that. Can't really comment on the performance as there aren't many videos up yet, but I'd expect something comparable to Bethlehem or ROTR. All that said, am I still excited to go to Vegas? Yes. Am I excited for the gigs? Yes. Am I expecting a show radically different to any other GN'R show I've seen? No. I'm also not ready to crucify them after one gig though.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's unfair to compare GN'R to Prince or Springsteen as some have done already in this thread. After all, GN'R has historically varied their setlists, if not to the extent of those two. However, I'll bring up an example that less people are familiar with, because first of all, it's a band I'm more familiar with, and second because the scenario applies closer to GN'R doing a residency.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones do a residency, the Hometown Throwdown, every December in Boston. They only do 3 nights as opposed to 9 or 12, but they still manage to do FAR more with the setlists in a quarter of the number of gigs. Last year they did about 70 different songs only played at 1 show, 4 songs at all 3 shows, and 8 or so at 2 shows. And it's not like they play the same batch of 80 songs or whatever every year; probably 40% of the songs weren't present the year before. They play songs they've never played live before, they play songs they haven't played in 20+ years, and they play some extremely obscure b-sides.

The point I'm trying to make is, bands try to make it an event when they have a residency, and often times they'll get a lot of people traveling from all over for them. I think that makes them a perfect scenario to reward real diehard fans with fresh and exciting setlists, not an excuse to play the same show every night and assume different people will see it.

Agree all around- all great examples- it comes down to lack of material, right? This whole "why don't they ever change up the set list?" issue shines a glaring light on one of the sad truths of this group:

Over the course of almost thirty years they have released 4.5 albums of original material (the .5 being "Lies"), and like most rock bands some of those songs never get played.

So I'm afraid that's just the way things are in the setlist department- there just isn't a big enough body of work to draw from (that and they- and by "they" I obviously mean "he"- can't be bothered to rehearse or come up with anything new to perform live). All the "will they play something new?" stuff is just sad after a while: of course they won't- they have nothing new to play. Not to mention the fact that you're definitely not gonna hear anything new in the US; they're playing for audiences who know Sweet Child and YCBM, with a very small contingent of people who have ever heard of Bumblefoot, or think there might be songs out there called The General, Soul Monster, or whatever.

Okay, I'll give my opinion after reading through this thread.

To say the setlist (And stage set compared to the last residency) is underwhelming is pretty much a given, I very seriously doubt hardly anyone on here would refute that. Can't really comment on the performance as there aren't many videos up yet, but I'd expect something comparable to Bethlehem or ROTR. All that said, am I still excited to go to Vegas? Yes. Am I excited for the gigs? Yes. Am I expecting a show radically different to any other GN'R show I've seen? No. I'm also not ready to crucify them after one gig though.

As for the setlist, I don't think it's unfair to compare GN'R to Prince or Springsteen as some have done already in this thread. After all, GN'R has historically varied their setlists, if not to the extent of those two. However, I'll bring up an example that less people are familiar with, because first of all, it's a band I'm more familiar with, and second because the scenario applies closer to GN'R doing a residency.

The Mighty Mighty Bosstones do a residency, the Hometown Throwdown, every December in Boston. They only do 3 nights as opposed to 9 or 12, but they still manage to do FAR more with the setlists in a quarter of the number of gigs. Last year they did about 70 different songs only played at 1 show, 4 songs at all 3 shows, and 8 or so at 2 shows. And it's not like they play the same batch of 80 songs or whatever every year; probably 40% of the songs weren't present the year before. They play songs they've never played live before, they play songs they haven't played in 20+ years, and they play some extremely obscure b-sides.

The point I'm trying to make is, bands try to make it an event when they have a residency, and often times they'll get a lot of people traveling from all over for them. I think that makes them a perfect scenario to reward real diehard fans with fresh and exciting setlists, not an excuse to play the same show every night and assume different people will see it.

The sad thing is all Axl would have to do is play one new unreleased song and the majority of people here would be happy and have some hope again that better days were ahead...........

Edited by classicrawker
  • Like 2