DJ Ashba Signature Les Paul Available Now

Gordon Comstock

an epiphone i can understand, they made a tommy thayer one even and a few niche fans may buy that. but a gibson, what the fuck?

the ONLY way thing thing will sell if it is 1000 or less and people will buy it because it is a gibson les paul less than a grand

an epiphone i can understand, they made a tommy thayer one even and a few niche fans may buy that. but a gibson, what the fuck?

the ONLY way thing thing will sell if it is 1000 or less and people will buy it because it is a gibson les paul less than a grand

This. I can't imagine the market for an Ashba Gibson is all that large. Good call on the Tommy Thayer one - it's cheap and a cool looking Epiphone that might reach beyond just the most die hard of KISS fans. That was a smart move on their part to limit it to Epiphone.

I imagine the Ashba one will be a very limited run. They picked the best looking of his Les Pauls at least.

I wonder what BBF thinks about this.

Why's that? Bumblefoot is with Vigier and has a few signature models with them.

I mean he is the better player and getting such attention. Is he shaking his head inside?

By the way how do Gibson decide about these things? Does Ashba have a BIG fanbase/demand?

I mean he is the better player and getting such attention. Is he shaking his head inside?

By the way how do Gibson decide about these things? Does Ashba have a BIG fanbase/demand?

I don't think so. Gibson would have no reason to choose Bumblefoot because he doesn't use Gibsons save for his '89 Les Paul. Also, he's been with Vigier (well respected, top quality guitars) so I doubt he'd even consider approaching Gibson about making some guitars for him.

Ashba has been working with them since 2009. Usually Gibson looks at the work they've done with a given artist and then decides if it's worth making a consumer version. Bumblefoot's '89 Les Paul, for example, is all stock. He didn't change anything about it. DJ uses different pick-ups, different tuners, sands the necks, uses a universal volume control instead of the Les Paul's usual two, and then obviously his custom finishes. Basically, Gibson is recognizing both their work for Ashba and has decided its different enough from their standard Les Paul models (which is fair enough based on how much DJ customizes them) that it might be worth their while to offer a consumer version.

That's really all it is when they decide on Signature guitars. For someone like Angus Young it was more a loyalty thing (he's never used anything but Gibson SGs with AC/DC), but more often than not it's when an artist has worked with them on a custom guitar that's different from what they offer already. Take the Buckethead Les Paul from a few years ago. There's not necessarily a huge market out there for Buckethead, but it was a good idea because it's such a different Les Paul (bigger scale, killswitches, and so on).

No problem! I'm surprised more from the fact that I don't think there's a huge market to sell it just based on the Ashba name. However, it's got enough distinct features about it that it should be able to appeal to certain guitarists in general. Say someone likes the sound of a Les Paul but doesn't like finished necks, then it might tweak their interest. Fun fact - the best selling Gibson signature guitar was the original Ace Frehley Les Paul from 1997.

A lot of big names draw signature guitars simply because of who they are (like Iommi, Young, Page, Clapton, Vaughan, etc) some get them because their guitars are so unique or because of a niche fan base (like Slash, Vai, and Frehley for example, have different wired and altered guitars along with their huge names and Buckethead has such a niche fan base and unique instrument). Sometimes a famous musician although not a legend like most of those above get a lower model one because they have different looking/designed guitars and name appeal on a smaller, but still big level (these are like the Tommy Thayer Epiphone, Paul Allender PRS SE, etc) and then brands not as big as the big names like Fender, Gibson, Ibanez, PRS, etc may make signature models for big names that actually use their models, because that is such huge advertising for small, "independent" companies (such as Ron with Vigier).

Now, I like Ashba a lot, I really do. The guy can be a total tool, but at the same time, he is a genuinely nice guy, goes out of his way for fans, is a pretty good player, great show man, and really loves what he does. So I can look past his shitty clothing company, taste, and self promotion. That being said, I have NO IDEA where the fuck all these phantom fans come from. Us on these forums like MYGNR, HTGTH, CD.com, etc represent the very small, hard core inner fan circle for GNR, his biggest and main source of his career. I dont know a single member on here that is one of those weird Ashba-lite psycho fans you see on his facebook. I dont know anyone here that wears or buys Ashba swag, would even look at purchasing the Ashba Dodge Challenger, or would want one of his guitars. His other major projects are Sixx AM and then I guess Beautiful Creatures. GNR is defiantly the biggest, and Sixx AM is relatively big, but dont have a ton of crazy fans, so it really baffles me where he gets all these people and what they exactly like about his work. Im not saying his work is bad or anything, I just have no clue where these fans are. I know they are there though, just look at his facebook.

Anyways, I think he would have been a good candidate for a signature Epiphone Les Paul, I would have even thought that would be cool for him and GNR. There is a fan base I guess since he has an Ovation signature acoustic line. They're ugly as hell but they've been around for years so they must sell them. A Gibson Les Paul averages at $2000 though, I have NO IDEA why they are making these... I'd be surprised if they even sell 100 of them based on the price, look, and name, doesn't seem like a good business decision. If we represent the biggest fans of his main band and only 0-2 of us buy one, I'd like to know who else goes for one.

Edited by ZoSoRose

It can't be a big investment to bring out a sig guitar.

* Custom paint job.

* Few wiring mod perhaps.

* Advertising dollars

It's not going to be the good wood that they're using, especially with that design they won't be using AAAAA maple.

Maybe that's $25k up front to get the project up and running? Perhaps even less, it's not their first sig guitar after all. I bet they can pump them out cheap and those that don't sell could be recovered and refinished.

Sammy Hagar got one. That tool from Nickelcrack got one. The standard isn't high!

Come on, if you were a guitarist and the Les Paul company asked you if they could make a signature line for you - you would have said yes too. Most guitarists would..

As I've said before Im far from a fan of Ashba, but I do respect him as a musician. He seems to be working hard. He is always working on something - producing solo stuff, sixx am (where he plays basically every instrument on the album), ashbaswag, car and wanting to make new music with GNR. I think he deserves it,

Edited by Jeez

He's becoming more and more like Slash. I'm telling y'all.

So he should be clost to guzzling whole bottles of jack soon and embarrassing GNR.

Nah. He actually cares about the band and the music. Haters gonna hate.

You mean like uploading pics of his club receipts onto facebook showing how much him and his friends drank? Or embarrassing GNR by furiously peddling that much junk merch that he posts most about his signature Ashba leg warmers than he does about his musical projects? Or embarrassing GNR by looking and acting like a complete tool? Or generally just embarrassing GNR by being DJ Ashba

He cares about the band and the music? The guy doesn't even know anything about his guitar setup (doesn't care) and has even said he doesn't even consider himself a guitarist. I know your the leader of the axl rose defence force (rofl - who would even write that?), but dont spew you're delusional sh*t around here. Go to htgth where u belong.

Now onto the topic at hand, I can't say I'm surprised. I mean the guy hasn't even done anything and released a signature car so a signature guitar was the logical next step. I'm sure the signature DJ Ashba learjet is coming next.

This guy is a joke, and needs to go. A signature guitar? for what, the guy hasnt done a thing. Does that mean Gilby is going to have a signature guitar coming out soon? Wait, I forgot. That guy has class and just played the music like a pro. DJ makes me sick.

Can someone get this fking tool out of the band, ffs. How many more years are GNR fans going to be subjected to this shit. Its like Axl is spitting in everyones face trying to piss people off with losers like this. The guy has come out in the past and says he hates Gibson Les Pauls and now he needs to play a les paul to be an icon in his own head.

Someone end this madness.

• Like 2