DJ Ashba Signature Les Paul Available Now

Gordon Comstock

LMFAO!!!! Who would ever say to themselves, i want an Ashba signature guitar???????????????????????

Besides some fat chick who wants to learn how to play guitar and has money to burn...

Probably a mix of his Guns involvement as well as the fact that he's worked with them on greatly customizing his Les Pauls over the past few years.

LMFAO!!!! Who would ever say to themselves, i want an Ashba signature guitar???????????????????????

Besides some fat chick who wants to learn how to play guitar and has money to burn...

Believe me, I'm far from an Ashba supporter but it does have some appeal outside of the Ashba association. If you're a player who prefers unfinished necks but the sound of a Les Paul, then provided this ends up in the same price range as a Standard then it might appealing as on option for people who are on the fence about getting a new Gibson. That's one reason - then you've got the different pick-ups, different switching set up, and so on. The finish leaves much to be desired of course but a finish isn't everything. I can't deny DJ has done some decent customizations to his Les Pauls to make them a hybrid between a classic Les Paul and his Music Man guitars.

The worst part is he doesn't use Gibson when playing with Sixx:A.M., he uses Music Man. So... yeah, if Gibson's doing it, it's because of GnR and not Sixx:A.M.

Now he uses Gibson even on S:AM...He used the black one with crystals and everythig, at the revolver magazine awards

Its really no surprise that he's getting his own model guitar. If you look at a Gibson/Epiphone catalog, theres usually a list of guitarists who have one, and the list is long. Most of the names are unrecognizable.

Same goes for Fender, Vigier, Jackson etc... they all have a long list of signature models for many unknown,to the general public, guitarists.

Guest bellastar2355

Probably a mix of his Guns involvement as well as the fact that he's worked with them on greatly customizing his Les Pauls over the past few years.

Believe me, I'm far from an Ashba supporter but it does have some appeal outside of the Ashba association. If you're a player who prefers unfinished necks but the sound of a Les Paul, then provided this ends up in the same price range as a Standard then it might appealing as on option for people who are on the fence about getting a new Gibson. That's one reason - then you've got the different pick-ups, different switching set up, and so on. The finish leaves much to be desired of course but a finish isn't everything. I can't deny DJ has done some decent customizations to his Les Pauls to make them a hybrid between a classic Les Paul and his Music Man guitars.

Still... not enough cigarette burns

Still... not enough cigarette burns

I understand, but can it really be much different than any other Gibsons? I dont play guitar, but if i did and there was another one that was $50 cheaper same basic style, i would be like who is dj ashba anyways? Im a singer, and i wouldnt buy a mic if there was a similar one if say SUGAR RAY put out a mic, i guess its all about sound, but still, if i did buy that sugar ray mic and someone asked what mic i used, they would be like isnt that the sugar ray mic, and i would put my head down and mumble yes.....not that extreme but you get my point lol

• 8 months later...

what's so special about it besides looking like shit?

I bet the guitar is covered in shinny sequins and fake cigarette burns... What a disgrace. Worst part of GnR, I can actually put up with everything else.

I haven't read through the rest of this thread, because I don't care to. The guitar will probably play fine and sound nice, but these comments really sum it up. Also who the f would want to buy a DJ Ashba sig?

When I saw GNR, I saw so offended at his treatment of his $6000 historic LP's, the guy can play, but those cigarette burns are excessive.

Krusty the Klown was wrong. They apparently do put nobodies on cereal boxes.

I really don't get the whole signature scene. So many of them are either artists that don't deserve to have a signature guitar or they are pointless models. See DJ Ashba and all the Slash signatures bar the Les Paul AFD, respectively.

EDIT: Also if I recall correctly, there was a video posted of him backstage with his guitars and he had no clue why he had various guitars, what the set up of them was etc. And this clown gets a signature guitar from Gibson?

Edited by Johnny Drama

Krusty the Klown was wrong. They apparently do put nobodies on cereal boxes.

I really don't get the whole signature scene. So many of them are either artists that don't deserve to have a signature guitar or they are pointless models. See DJ Ashba and all the Slash signatures bar the Les Paul AFD, respectively.

EDIT: Also if I recall correctly, there was a video posted of him backstage with his guitars and he had no clue why he had various guitars, what the set up of them was etc. And this clown gets a signature guitar from Gibson?

I actually watched that gig setup, it was kind of funny. "What do I use this guitar for?" His techie answered half the questions. The same went for Bumblefoot.

Honestly though the guitar looks kinda cool. I'm just surprised it's not covered with excessive cigarette burns. Treat your tools with some respect, man.

This is actually pretty cool. In a world where smearing shit all over a painting is regarded modern art, putting name of DJ on a perfectly fine guitar, too, makes a perfectly valid modern art piece. While it is obvious no music fan with anything resembling dignity would wish to use/own/touch such guitar, I am sure there are art galleries and Gugenheim Museums and such that'd be interested.

• Like 1

I have a personal aversion to signature model guitars anyway ("Look at me - I want to be just like this guy!") but I can't see this being a hit. I wonder if the deal with Gibson is more like the way small-time book writers have to make with a publishing company, where they have to guarantee the sales of a minimum number of books. The minimum is usually enough to pay for the cost of the first run of the books. I have no idea if guitar makers do this. Maybe there is something also in conjunction with Seymour Duncan going on as their name is really prominent on those pups and I haven't noticed much other branding on other sig models.

Also, FWIW that matte finish is cheaper to produce (one day in the factory) than a full gloss finish (three days in production).