Matt Sorum open to GNR return

Guest NGOG

http://radio.com/2014/06/20/interview-matt-sorum-rocks-go-to-drummer-flexes-songwriter-and-guitar-chops-on-solo-album/

Is Velvet Revolver ever going to do anything again?

I think it’s got to organically happen. Nothing’s ever been too forced. It’s been a minute [since we've done anything], and that’s why I’m dabbling in this sort of stuff. Once we come back, we’re all re-energizes. Slash’s got a new album coming out, I’ve got a new project called Kings of Chaos, which is kind of my rock project. It’s going to be a rotating band. I’ve been very blessed, I love playing with other musicians, it’s so inspiring. And when I come back to what I call my “day job,” which is Velvet Revolver, I’ll bring a lot more to the table.

So with Kings of Chaos, are you drumming or sort of rotating?

I’m playing drums on that gig. They might give me the microphone to talk but that’s about it. We’ve gone out on tour, Slash, Myles Kennedy, Corey Taylor, Joe Elliott. We’re going to do a big run of the states, go over to the UK. I called everybody from Robert Plant to Bruce Dickinson from Iron Maiden and Roger Daltrey. I’m talking to all these guys I can’t confirm any of them [will be involved with the project] and it’s super cool, they’re my heroes, my peers. I have a plan to make an original album that would be something a bit like classic rock mixed with new music somehow.

How did you feel about Duff filling in for Tommy Stinson in Guns N Roses?
Well, Duff’s like a really consummate gentleman, he’s always been the mediator. I think he got caught in the middle of all the other stuff. So for him to mend fences [with Axl Rose], it was cool. It’s time. Rather than sitting around and saying “What if?” He was really cool about it, he sent us all emails. It was nice, it felt cool, it felt right.

If Axl called you to do a Guns N Roses show, would you do it?
Yeah, sure, I got no problems with any of that, you know? Life’s too short, it’s getting shorter too.

Credit: GNRTruth

Edited by NGOG

I think it's pretty common knowledge that everybody except Axl is open to a reunion.

He's not talking about a reunion, he's talking about performing with the current GNR line-up.

I think it's pretty common knowledge that everybody except Axl is open to a reunion.

He's not talking about a reunion, he's talking about performing with the current GNR line-up.

You didn't actually expect me to read the OP, did you? :P (has Matt Sorum in the title)

• Like 2

Judging from his attitude about duff doing it and himself doing it, I certainly don't think he'd mind playing.

However no one is actively trying to do it. Everyone feels down for it but they know it's up to one person.

Judging from his attitude about duff doing it and himself doing it, I certainly don't think he'd mind playing.

I have it on good word that Matt is very eager to perform with GNR.

That'd be cool. Over the fact I doubt it would change so much musically, it would show Axl is cool with his former bandmates, it's more of a symbol than anything else, like when Duff joined, I doubt it made much difference musically (the sound ain't good enough on the bootlegs to judge that though) but the fact Duff and Axl are pals is cool enough for me. Same with Sorum.

Like Matt said, life is short and it's not getting any longer. Though, I doubt Axl is cool with Matt. I can recall a line in a book I read, not sure if it's 100% legit but still...

Axl: "Are you going to leave?"

Matt: "No"

Axl: "Well then you're fucking fired!"

HAHA, don't know if it did happen but that made me laugh so hard.

Matt seems like an easy enough guy to get on with. I imagine him like a feistier version of Duff, he doesn't seem to hold grudges. It would be fine if they ever needed a drummer to fill in for a few shows although I could see Axl asking Brain or Freese first.

Lol at VR being his day job though. That's like me still calling the job I had in 2005 my day job. Unless of course Slash has become more serious about searching for that singer.

I think you're kinda jumping the gun here. :lol:

Matt claimed to have made amends with Axl way back in 2006. I think since these people had personal relationships with Axl, they wouldn't mind reacquainting. Doesn't mean they're hot to work with him full time like the old days. Not with nu guns at least. There's a BIG difference between crashing on a friends couch for a few days and sharing rent and responsibilities with them.

Just because he's older and doesn't feel like carrying resentment for the rest of his life doesn't mean "the tides are turning", "Maybe Axl wasn't wrong" after all" type tripe. Ffs :facepalm:

Honestly I've been following this band for 10 fucking years.... read Slash and Duff's autobiography and every Axl interview under the sun and I still can't figure out the animosity between Slash and Axl. I mean I get it to an extent... but the persistence and the venomous nature of it... SOMETHING FUCKING HAPPENED!!!!!!!! WHAT WAS IT! AHHHHHHHHH

It would be interesting to hear Duff and Matt in GNR now, they're comfortable as the rhythm section after all these years. He is probably a better timekeeper than Frank and could do all the ChiDem songs just as well as Frank's doing them.

He was outspoken but so is Bumblefoot. I think the only thing he's bitter about is Axl trying to diminish his role in GNR, but he even joked about being one of the low men on the totem pole.

He probably had to be fired and couldn't quit because he wasn't getting residuals like Duff was.

VR was a band he helped put together and co-wrote the songs, so it was a different situation.

If anything, Axl and Matt would probably talk more about giraffes and whales.