☬ YOUR opinions, reviews and general thoughts on the Performance/Sound/Visuals in Appetite For Democracy 3D Concert Release ☬

Guest Gunns

Once again, take the test.....

If you're thinking it's sounding good, just play that bitch in front of someone else that's not biased and watch what happens.

It'll bring you back down to earth.

I took the test, I know I'm biased. My husband is what I'd call a casual fan and has always been a casual fan, he likes AFD and UYI, but not CD. He thought Axl sounded okay.

Divorce him. :P

No way! Where else am I going to find a man who condones my love for Axl, joins me for a Slash and Myles concert and lets me watch my GNR bluray ? (Granted, not all at once, still haven't managed to finish watching it yet :( )

My old lady not only understands my love for GNR, but she tolerates all the time I spend here moderating. On top of that, she waltzed right up to DJ Ashba™ and asked him why he doesn't play the TIL solo right.

• Like 2

Once again, take the test.....

If you're thinking it's sounding good, just play that bitch in front of someone else that's not biased and watch what happens.

It'll bring you back down to earth.

I took the test, I know I'm biased. My husband is what I'd call a casual fan and has always been a casual fan, he likes AFD and UYI, but not CD. He thought Axl sounded okay.

Divorce him. :P

No way! Where else am I going to find a man who condones my love for Axl, joins me for a Slash and Myles concert and lets me watch my GNR bluray ? (Granted, not all at once, still haven't managed to finish watching it yet :( )
My old lady not only understands my love for GNR, but she tolerates all the time I spend here moderating. On top of that, she waltzed right up to DJ Ashba and asked him why he doesn't play the TIL solo right.

Ha, she's a keeper!

Got my bluray this week from cduniverse. It was back ordered for almost 2 weeks but then arrived very quickly here in Brazil. The show is just AMAZING. The quality of the images and the quality of the sound and everything else kicks major ass, very very very well done. I’ve seen some of the videos online before and I can say that once you see those on a good tv with a good sound… it’s freaking good, no comparison !!! Axl and the band are on a very good mood, everybody’s doing a very good job, many cameras on the right position filming what needs to be filmed at the right time. I could see it louder than hell twice in a roll and I’m already ready for one more!!! The interviews are great as well and it’s good to see DJ, Ron, Tommy and Dizzy talking about Axl. The footage on the bluray is spectacular. A few friends that aren’t GN’R fans watched with me – they came to my house complaining that, back in the 90’s they hated the Tokyo VHS videos. Guess what: both loved it and one of them actually wants to buy the damn thing.
It’s so good to see a live official show after all those years and to see Chinese Democracy songs there as well (if I had to point one negative thing is that I wanted more CD songs but it’s ok). It’s a sense of “They did it” you know? A sense that justice has been made somehow (even more because Appetite for Democracy is on top of the charts). I have no idea of what stands in the future for the band (both live and at the studio) but it gave me this feeling of mission accomplished. It made me think of all the way since it started back in the end of the 90’s, Rock in Rio 3, the shows from 2002, 2006/07, the departures, the new guys (who aren’t new anymore), and everything else in between, not to mention the record that, at least for me, stands as the best Guns N’ Roses record ever – so far. Of course the mission accomplished feeling have its twists when you think of many things that went wrong (such as official videos for the CD songs, the release of CD, the booklet, fucked up managers from the past, record company, etc) but it also made me think of how many things we got very right since the early 00’s – the record, practically 6 years of touring the whole world in such a successful way (even without the proper support any band needs - and yes I know the CD tour ended some years ago), 2 Axl interviews for TV (and a cool Bud ad!) not to mention interviews for websites, the 2008 chats, the Revolver Magazine interview, an official website, the RNRHOF letter, the Golden Awards achievement award, the bluray, etc. With that said I’m not sure if the band wants to close this amazing huge and incredible chapter of the whole CD saga with the bluray or not, I just felt like this watching it (I still have hopes to see the right booklet out somehow, the remixes album, new songs with Bucket and Robin and Brain and Paul in, etc – let’s see what the sea will bring to us!).
It’s been one hell of a journey – I still remember the first time I read the words “Chinese Democracy” on a Rolling Stone magazine back in 2000. I enjoyed the title and felt something good was about to come but could never predict that it was going to be so amazing. I feel like ROUND II is over now and GN’R did it. Let’s go to round 3 !!!!!
Thank you Axl and Guns N’ Roses !!!

I love patience, perfect from the start to the very end, like every bit of it. But I can't say this about any other song on this release.

Anyone else is annoyed by the way Ron dresses?

Got this finally and fuckin love it.was expecting way worse from ax man and thought he was fine on most songs

I think brownstone, ycbm, and nr are the only super rough parts

Brownstone was a rough spot? Jesus, that is a song he should be able to perform in his sleep.

Does it annoy anyone else how Richard keeps strumming some chords really hard?

Lol that's just Fortus, was watching videos of that band he was in (love split love?) and he moves exactly the same. Tis just his thang.

My opinion :

Axl -- excellent in most of the songs. Good stage performance, charisma, vocal range good as usual. He uses clean voice in low and high vocals, alternating with the rasp/drive vocals in others songs. WTJ has a lot of rasp, SCOM very clean (I would prefer it with rasp, but the clean vocals are with a decent power).

Fortus -- in my opinion, the best guitarist in GN'R. He has a mix of bluesy/rock/jazz /virtuoso stile, a very nice guitar sound.

Bumblefoot -- the most technical guitarist in GN'R. Sometimes I miss some feeling in his playing. But he is very important in GN'R context. Very good person, speaks well, sings well and play solos that none of the others could.

DJ - well... he doesn't know how to improvise. He knows his parts "by heart". That's why he does mistakes. His guitar sound and effects don't help either. If he played only with a Marshal overdrive, a little chorus and a bit of reverb, with much less compression, his imprecisions would be less perceived. I have to admit that for the general public watching the show in the arena, his stage presence is very good.

Frank -- I liked him when I was at the show, and in the DVD/Blue-Ray he is excellent. I enjoyed his drums sound in the final mix.

Pittman -- for the first time I could listen his things. It's ok. He sings well, duplicates Axl's voice sometimes. He is ok.

Dizzy -- He could play better in the past in my opinion. But he didn't do any mistake. Just Nnot a Great player.

After all I'm very happy. GN'R never intended to be perfect live. It's rock n'roll, sincere. They could have overdubbed mistakes, but they didn't, and I appreciate that. The show is great show as a whole.

• Like 3

I bought it on bluray and watch it last night, so, here's my comments:

Overall I love the show. I have a theater in my basement and the sound and 3D video are excellent. I realize that the show is pieced together to get the "best of's" but it appears pretty seamless. Axl voice for the most part is excellent. There's a few times where he can't sing with rasp and it just sounds like a high-pitched compromise but not awful by any means.

The presentation is excellent from the girls to the stage layout and pyro. If anything, someone should tell Axl to STOP DANCING. He looks like he's doing the 80's high-school shuffle most of the time. I'd rather he stand still and lean on a mic-stand than try to dance. His serpentine moves are still good but that's about it.

Overall I give the show a 9 out of 10.

ACE

Edited by ace
  • Like 3

I was just watching the dvd again and honestly I'm not trying to be an ass here, but this part is just hilarious. I laugh every time I see it.

I've finally managed to watch it. I don't know whether to call that awkward or hilarious... The horrible solo, DJ running to the front of the stage, jumping on the monitor, playing the crowd, Dizzy applauding, Axl, BBF... And here we are, two years later, he's still doing the same thing. Could it be some kind of inside joke ? I don't get it.

• Like 1

Watching the rest of the dvd now.

I liked Better though Axl doesn't seem to be singing it with as much power as he usually do. Better has always been one of my favorites live.

I don't care what anyone says, but I really enjoy Motivation. I saw three shows in 2012 and Motivation was great and the audience responded well to it I thought.

Hes alway sings the bridge well on Better

I was just watching the dvd again and honestly I'm not trying to be an ass here, but this part is just hilarious. I laugh every time I see it.

I've finally managed to watch it. I don't know whether to call that awkward or hilarious... The horrible solo, DJ running to the front of the stage, jumping on the monitor, playing the crowd, Dizzy applauding, Axl, BBF... And here we are, two years later, he's still doing the same thing. Could it be some kind of inside joke ? I don't get it.

The part I find hilarious is the way Bumblefoot laughs like it's the funniest thing he's ever experienced.

I keep forgetting the concert is from 2012 and not 2014. It's awkward that this has gone on for two years, I'll agree to that.

Watching the rest of the dvd now.

I liked Better though Axl doesn't seem to be singing it with as much power as he usually do. Better has always been one of my favorites live.

I don't care what anyone says, but I really enjoy Motivation. I saw three shows in 2012 and Motivation was great and the audience responded well to it I thought.

Hes alway sings the bridge well on Better

That he does.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I just illegally downloaded the audio. I figured I'd eventually OWN the actual blu-ray so I just wanted to hear it at least, so I didn't download the video.

Holy fuck does Axl sound like shit.

I just listened to Estranged, my favorite song of all time. It's so bad. It's so fucking bad. I was willing to forgive when I was in the audience in 2012, hearing the song live for the very first time....that was awesome. But listening to it on an "official" release and realizing how cringeworthy it really is, without the "rush" of being there in person? Yikes.

I don't think I'll be buying this bluray after all.

• Like 1

I just illegally downloaded the audio. I figured I'd eventually OWN the actual blu-ray so I just wanted to hear it at least, so I didn't download the video.

I just listened to Estranged, my favorite song of all time. It's so bad. It's so fucking bad. I was willing to forgive when I was in the audience in 2012, hearing the song live for the very first time....that was awesome. But listening to it on an "official" release and realizing how cringeworthy it really is, without the "rush" of being there in person? Yikes.

Yes, it's not the same Axl as 1992. I enjoyed the Blu ray very much from my end.

Yes, it's not the same Axl as 1992. I enjoyed the Blu ray very much from my end.

And not the same from 2010. Age is not an excuse.

• Like 2

And not the same from 2010. Age is not an excuse.

And not even the same as Vegas Axl circa 2014.

• Like 1

I got the blue-ray some days ago. I have just watched the first five songs but I have enjoyed it so far. For most cases I am indifferent to three guitars vs two guitars. Three guitars certainly makes the sound fuller and gives the show more oomph, but on the other hand, with three guitars it is a bit redundant and results in one of the guitarists often doing nothing else than silly posing (they all got their own unique way of posing, all bad in my opinion) and the occasional strumming. I would prefer two guitarists being busy all the time even if it lessens the sound somewhat. But on Mr. Brownstone I really, really, really love how this expanded lineup plays it. After having heard the three first songs and coming to Brownstone really made me start to enjoy the show. The first three songs were good, but Mr. Brownstone, as played by this lineup, is just awesome.

Nothing really negative to say about the first five songs. Axl was off at the start of the verses in Estranged and had a thin voice for the last part, which some here love to repeatedly tell how much they dislike, but it was okay, in my opinion, and the ending was impressive. And Dj has been good for this part.

Let me repeat that: Dj has been good.

• Like 2

The Estranged performance on AfD is not the best they've played it in 2010 and it's a shame that for this blu-ray we got this version. It's not excruciatingly bad, just doesn't gel for some reason.

I wish all the guitars would be at the same sound level. Even if Fortus and DJ are hard panned to either side, I can barely hear them on Better. BBF's guitar is loud and pretty much the only one to be heard which makes Better sound very empty.

Edit: Actually, nevermind, I'll have to hear it on proper 5.1 first instead of stereo before saying anything oops

Edited by Mendez