SLASH featuring Myles Kennedy & The Conspirators Tour 2014 / 2015

batman007

Breakdown or Pretty Tied Up would be neat.

Could these songs be played without keyboards?

They made Civil War work. You don't even notice the piano is gone.

Not that passion in there he used to have back in the day but still great. One of my favorite GNR live tunes. Way better than the studio version

The set up he used during the UYI tour was a monstrosity, without that, and Duff's bass tone, DTJ lacks a lot of its power. It's a great performance, still.

As for the "passion", he quit booze and drugs. That's the passion he's missing. :lol:

And it's freed up his hands to work much better than they did back in the day.

Absolutely awful. Wish I had never read Nosaj's status update so I could have spared myself from checking it out. My bad though, I should have known better.

I'd love to understand just what is so "awful" to you about this compared to the old version. Its really not that different.

Not a Myles fan myself but your allergy to absolutely every note that comes from Slash post-GNR leaves me intrigued.

I'm not here to convert you, each to their own for sure, just interested to know what happens to your ears when post-GNR Slash comes your way.

I kinda get where you are coming from, I despise ABBA but cannot explain why (maybe not your problem and you know why you hate all of Slash's solo/VR work), their music makes me really really angry and a bit ill and I just don't know why. Its great pop music and as a musician I should appreciate musical craft but in their case I'd rather take an axe to the fuckers.

PS: Note the only member who liked your post. Hence my intrigue, I'd never associate you with that person's mindset.

Edited by Intercourse

Absolutely awful. Wish I had never read Nosaj's status update so I could have spared myself from checking it out. My bad though, I should have known better.

I'd love to understand just what is so "awful" to you about this compared to the old version. Its really not that different.

Not a Myles fan myself but your allergy to absolutely every note that comes from Slash post-GNR leaves me intrigued.

I'm not here to convert you, each to their own for sure, just interested to know what happens to your ears when post-GNR Slash comes your way.

I kinda get where you are coming from, I despise ABBA but cannot explain why (maybe not your problem and you know why you hate all of Slash's solo/VR work), their music makes me really really angry and a bit ill and I just don't know why. Its great pop music and as a musician I should appreciate musical craft but in their case I'd rather take an axe to the fuckers.

PS: Note the only member who liked your post. Hence my intrigue, I'd never associate you with that person's mindset.

I don't make posts for likes and I don't care who does or doesn't like them. I'm not hearing this resemblance to Axl that others have alluded to. I'm hearing and seeing the same nasally and uncharismatic oaf that I see and hear every time I convince myself I should give them another shot. Slash sounds nowhere near as good as he used to either so he isn't even a saving grace. IMHO this is the absolute worst version of this song in existence, so awful is a very fitting description to me.

Slash could've played the best solo of his life and you still wouldn't have liked it because that's what you decided you were going to do before you pressed play.

Don't speak for me when it's quite obvious that you don't know shit. I wouldn't have pressed play if I knew beforehand that I wasn't going to like it. Only a retard would figure that that would make any sense whatsoever.

It's missing a rant to kick it off and "home-fuck" as well but good hearing it again.

That song was always about the solo at the end. The words and other stuff was just window dressing.
Has Slash ever mentioned why he never played it at a solo show over the past 5 years (excluding now obviously)? Edited by Coma16

It's missing a rant to kick it off and "home-fuck" as well but good hearing it again.

That song was always about the solo at the end. The words and other stuff was just window dressing.
Has Slash ever mentioned why he never played it at a solo show over the past 5 years (excluding now obviously)?

No, and most of his GNR stuff thru the years has been from AFD pretty much exclusively until recently.

Damn_Smooth would winge if he won xlotto Edited by Gibbo 27

Damn_Smooth would winge if he won xlotto

English please?

Upon reflection, you may notice they dropped YCBM. As cool as this is, i'd rather hear YCBM.

I hope they alternate and I get DTJ when they come here. That one's got much more Slash.

YCBM was pretty great live, but it's so weird seeing/hearing it played not on the BC Rich Mockingbird. I'm not a guitarist and usually don't have the ear for this kind of thing but even I noticed. Still sounded good, just... different.

Upon reflection, you may notice they dropped YCBM. As cool as this is, i'd rather hear YCBM.

I hope they alternate and I get DTJ when they come here. That one's got much more Slash.

YCBM was pretty great live, but it's so weird seeing/hearing it played not on the BC Rich Mockingbird. I'm not a guitarist and usually don't have the ear for this kind of thing but even I noticed. Still sounded good, just... different.

He had the BC Rich pretty much thru Snakepit and VR for select songs. But he pretty much left them behind when he got those Les Pauls with the whammy bar.

Am I the only one that's actually kinda disappointed? I've never liked DTJ that much, and there's so much more off of UYI that's far better IMO, and what about some Snakepit?

They do play quite a few Snakepit songs. I'm struggling to think of any other UYI songs I want to hear that are feasible (I can't see the Conspirators playing Locomotive or Coma any time soon). Civil War was great in 2010, hopefully they rotate it in and out again. We've got YCBM which I wasn't expecting before this year. Breakdown or Pretty Tied Up would be neat.

Well, I didn't mean Just Like Anything (which I must have heard 6 times live from Slash), Mean Bone, or Speed Parade. How about Landslide? Dime Store Rock? Neither Can I? Back And Forth Again? And he never played Serial Killer in my area :( .

As far as UYI to tap into: Bad Obsession, Don't Damn Me, Right Next Door to Hell, Back off Bitch, Dead Horse, Get In The Ring.........80% of the people who go to Slash's shows would know any of those songs.

Breakdown or Pretty Tied Up would be neat.

Could these songs be played without keyboards?

Yes.

Serial Killer would be epic. Always loved that song.

I don't make posts for likes and I don't care who does or doesn't like them. I'm not hearing this resemblance to Axl that others have alluded to. I'm hearing and seeing the same nasally and uncharismatic oaf that I see and hear every time I convince myself I should give them another shot. Slash sounds nowhere near as good as he used to either so he isn't even a saving grace. IMHO this is the absolute worst version of this song in existence, so awful is a very fitting description to me.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just to continue on with this, if you're up for it...

In what way is Slash "nowhere near as good" to you? Writing? Playing? Take for example DTJ here, Slash is essentially playing mostly what he originally wrote...does it now sound wrong or lower in quality to you compared to what he was doing in the nineties?

Just interested to know as I don't think I've read a mail from you where you fully set out your stall as regards the whole GNR bubble and all who came and went today and yesterday. I'm sure you have explained your position before but I'm not that long around here to have seen it.

PS: I'm not having a go at you over those who share your opinion, to me you're mostly an equal opportunities hater and include yourself (often hilariously) when you're dishing out the jabs. I'm just interested to know how you could have liked a band enough to bring you here, to keep supporting this forum so generously in several key ways over the years but have such a visceral reaction to absolutely everything Slash now does.

You're not an apologist for anyone yet the guitar guy gets the hardest go.

Just askin' as I've fuck all else to do while I'm drinking my morning coffee. If you don't want to play ball, fair enough.

Thanks for getting back to me.

Just to continue on with this, if you're up for it...

In what way is Slash "nowhere near as good" to you? Writing? Playing? Take for example DTJ here, Slash is essentially playing mostly what he originally wrote...does it now sound wrong or lower in quality to you compared to what he was doing in the nineties?

Just interested to know as I don't think I've read a mail from you where you fully set out your stall as regards the whole GNR bubble and all who came and went today and yesterday. I'm sure you have explained your position before but I'm not that long around here to have seen it.

PS: I'm not having a go at you over those who share your opinion, to me you're mostly an equal opportunities hater and include yourself (often hilariously) when you're dishing out the jabs. I'm just interested to know how you could have liked a band enough to bring you here, to keep supporting this forum so generously in several key ways over the years but have such a visceral reaction to absolutely everything Slash now does.

You're not an apologist for anyone yet the guitar guy gets the hardest go.

Just askin' as I've fuck all else to do while I'm drinking my morning coffee. If you don't want to play ball, fair enough.

I'm not a guitar player myself so I don't know exactly what it is, but to me it seems like Slash has lost a lot of the feel that he had when in Guns. It's not just that I don't like the guy because I still watch plenty of videos from the classic lineup and Slash still gives me goosebumps every time. That Slash is still my favorite guitar player in the world. There is just something missing now. He doesn't seem anywhere near as passionate as he used to be and it makes his guitar sound flat. Notes that used to (and still do when listening to a younger Slash) cut right through me seem to falter as soon as they're made. That's the best way I can describe it.

Hard to say, I appreciate the fact that he's much more accurate now. You can tell he's been working on his craft over the last few years. Pretty much since he got sober, he's been introducing new things into his playing that could never have been there before, they require a certain level of chops he just could never have been able to do before. His live playing has grown leaps and bounds as well, he can hit the challenging spots night in and night out without fault most of the time. You certainly couldn't say that about him back in Guns, Snakepit or VR. He's lost a lot of the slurring in his playing that he had before, and that's probably what people would interpret as "feel". Like when they say Robin plays with a lot of feel, nah he just sloppy.

• Like 1

Hard to say, I appreciate the fact that he's much more accurate now. You can tell he's been working on his craft over the last few years. Pretty much since he got sober, he's been introducing new things into his playing that could never have been there before, they require a certain level of chops he just could never have been able to do before. His live playing has grown leaps and bounds as well, he can hit the challenging spots night in and night out without fault most of the time. You certainly couldn't say that about him back in Guns, Snakepit or VR. He's lost a lot of the slurring in his playing that he had before, and that's probably what people would interpret as "feel". Like when they say Robin plays with a lot of feel, nah he just sloppy.

No, feel is not slurring. He was in his prime, on a bunch of drugs/shitload of alcohol and inspired by Axl and the rest of old Guns live. It probably brought something different to his playing.

And if we're totally honest here, it's not like he didn't lose some of the magic in the studio as well. Again, probably the same reasons: the rest of old Guns, and the fact he was still hungry and didn't dictate the direction like he does now.

Personally, I can totally get what Damn_Smooth is talking about, but I still enjoy Slash's live playing. I think he's better technically, and when he's really into a song live, it still sounds great to my ears. The notes may not sound as inspired, cause he had perfect chemistry with the rest of the members in old Guns, but he still expresses himself through the instrument in his unique way.

Edited by Rovim

As a guitar player myself, it's impossible not to see how Slash has improved over the years, not only recently but since the UYI years. People criticize him for being this monotone blues-based hard rock guitar player but he's so much more than that, specially after VR and his first solo record. Slash can play and write some soulful bluesy stuff, some badass Drop-D modern guitar riffs, pop music, atmospheric dark acoustic pieces, shredding heavy metal solos, etc. I think I saw him doing some 'Sweep Picking' on those recent DTJ videos, and I admit that was the first time I saw Slash doing it.

On stage, sometimes I feel like he's on autopilot as well but there's always something that impresses me. His expanded musical background over the years makes it impossible for me not to admire the guy (except for those latin pop guest spots). I can totally understand how some musicians can give their all on stage and leave people unimpressed. It happens to me all the time with bands I won't even mention to not get killed by rock n' roll nazis.

Edited by ProstituteComa

As a guitar player myself, it's impossible not to see how Slash has improved over the years, not only recently but since the UYI years. People criticize him for being this monotone blues-based hard rock guitar player but he's so much more than that, specially after VR and his first solo record. Slash can play and write some soulful bluesy stuff, some badass Drop-D modern guitar riffs, pop music, atmospheric dark acoustic pieces, shredding heavy metal solos, etc. I think I saw him doing some 'Sweep Picking' on those recent DTJ videos, and I admit that was the first time I saw Slash doing it.

There's a good couple of new tricks in his arsenal these days. It's great to see someone that established and let's be honest, someone with nothing to prove to anyone by now, still growing as a player.

• Like 1