about CD : "it sounds like guns in a more modern way"

It's not Guns N' Roses. It sounds like Guns N' Roses because the guy who wrote, plays piano and sings on that album used to write, play piano and sing in Guns N' Roses too. Of course it sounds like it is, that's pretty obvious. That's it.

Edited by ManetsBR

There's definitely parts of old GNR on CD. Sometimes it's close to copy n paste. People are distracted by the sound of it I think. Sometimes I think it's the old cords played backwards by different guitarists. I really want to play YCBM intro backwards to see if it sounds like Shacklers.

This Chinese Democracy review threads suck, constant reviewing of a 2008 album because of nothing new is very sad.

We can close the thread now.

Or you can just choose to stop reading it.

You mean this one or the 4000 other weekly topics trying to reevalutate ChiDem misunderstood significance in the grand scheme of the history of music ?

This Chinese Democracy review threads suck, constant reviewing of a 2008 album because of nothing new is very sad.

We can close the thread now.

Or you can just choose to stop reading it.

You mean this one or the 4000 other weekly topics trying to reevalutate ChiDem misunderstood significance in the grand scheme of the history of music ?

This one.

that's the feedback I had about CD from a non-gnr fan, but who listens to rock/metal

i disagree. cd doesn't sound like guns. they are two different bands.

But Axl is a big part of the Gn'R sound, just like Slash, Izzy, Duff, and to a lesser extent Steven were. So it does sound like Guns in places imo.

• Like 1

that's the feedback I had about CD from a non-gnr fan, but who listens to rock/metal

But Axl is a big part of the Gn'R sound, just like Slash, Izzy, Duff, and to a lesser extent Steven were. So it does sound like Guns in places imo.

Shut up. Too reasonable.

Although I'd probably throw a "lesser extent" on Duff too, except for a couple songs.

There are 4 or 5 songs on CD like Mov Rain or estranged. Add If the World and Madagascar as Axls cenematic ballads. Better is like SCOM played by a NIN guitarist. Sorry is like a grunge power ballad version of Don't Cry.

There's just not that much space for it not to sound like GNR. With the rest Axl is doing his rage lyrics.

• Like 1

Shut up. Too reasonable.

Although I'd probably throw a "lesser extent" on Duff too, except for a couple songs.

Together, Duff and Steven, as a rhythm section were crucial to the sound. Almost like one person. As a songwriter, Duff was never great, but he had his moments and his arrangements made many Guns songs work.

Edited by Rovim
  • Like 1

so I guess axl's voice and music arrangements are what identify gnr. like many others band though.

People REALLY need to stop making excuses for this piss-poor album.

so I guess axl's voice and music arrangements are what identify gnr. like many others band though.

People REALLY need to stop making excuses for this piss-poor album.

Axl was going through some stuff. Please understand.

Chinese Democracy taken by itself as a piece of music is a great record for me, convoluted, confused, bloated(heh), intriguing, dynamic... it has a couple of noticeable flaws but also several strengths running through it. The layers inflate some tracks to a pointlessly blurry degree, there are few decent riffs - Better, CD, TWAT and Riad are noteworthy, the lyrics are quite poor for Axl's usual standard, lack of aggression - this is Axl Rose after all. The variation is wonderful even though it could do with two more rockers, the vocals are stupendous, the solos are high class and Slash is not missed it's Izzy more than anyone. TWAT, Catcher In The Rye, Prostitute, Street of Dreams, This I Love, Sorry are all 10./10 songs. Is it congruent to the resources and time it took to create, hell fucking no, is it a GNR record? No, it's an Axl Rose interpretation of how he wanted GNR to sound if he was surrounded by servants and not equals. Are you looking forward to another new GNR record? Exuberantly... but he seems to have not learnt he don't need 10 years or endless tinkering or isolation from the other guys to conjure up another decent record.

• Like 1

I would say there's 14 great songs. But the 90s/nu metal styles just aren't as commercial as 80s hard rock. If you let Bucket and Finck rape SCOM it turn out like Better. Instead of Slash solos you'd get a Pitman synth breakdown with Axl screaming Where we go to to!!!. Just like how Dj "Livin the Dream" Patience solo. Suddenly it's not so classic and everyone is weeping into their pints of real classic rock ale. It's thin line between rock nirvana and the dollar store.

Edited by wasted

"That sounds like GNR with another singer"

That's the feedback I had about It's 5 o'clock somewhere from a non-gnr fan, but who listens to rock/metal

so I guess Slash's guitar and music arrangements are what identify gnr.