Who made the best Batman movies?

Which director made the best ones?  

43 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Burton. Jack as The Joker, Prince soundtrack, even Keaton Batman was better than Bale. I did like Heath and Bane. Just feel like Nolan trilogy is long winded for no pay off.

Was it Jack as The Joker, or Jack as Jack? Keaton was an interesting Batman. A weird casting choice, but his emanating humanity gave him something that worked.

Mike was a great Bruce Wayne and decent Batman, not overacting. Jack is always playing Jack but he got across a lot of the twisted insanity of the Joker. I feel like the Burton movies still got more of the balance between camp and dark, Nolan just made a tough almost ordinary movie. they are a bit dour. The last one was more fun but only because it lost it.

But when you take everything that worked in Nolan's version, especially the first 2 parts, it's far more consistent imo. Yeah, Nolan takes shit way too seriously, and some of the Batman vibe from the comics was lost, but the trade off was good enough for me, cause we had so many comic like Batman movies before Nolan came along, and the've all failed in the places Nolan succeeded.

True and the Nolan ones are like the movies we like now. Dark became the new movie star. Nolan is probably the more accomplished movie maker so you've got some great action scenes. It's just I have a problem with each movie. Begins is slow ass. Its Batman, just fight a bad guy! Dark Knight should have been called Dark Joker, it's not rely about Batman. Rises was entertaining but after the first two it was kind of a let down. There's so many cool parts in Batman 87. Basinger and that reporter, Eckhart and Jack Palance. Plus Jack. What I remember of Nolan is cool action, The Joker, Bane and cool action, the nuke in the football stadium was memorable. When Gothan is ashes you have my permission to die.

Michael Bay for the next Batman movie?

Will Smith as the next Batman, with Bay directing.

• Like 1

It still does not answer the question, who voted Schumacher? Two of you fuckers did.

I like Schumachers movie more that Batman Begins.

You actually deem Batman and Robin to be superior to, Batman Begins? Granted the latter has its problems as a film but, Batman and Robin is perhaps the most shocking abomination in cinematic history.

Edited by DieselDaisy
  • Like 1

I read a Frank Miller interview recently, in which he states he's walked out of every Batman movie he's seen. He gives a shot and at some point during the movie(s), he finds himself thinking, "nope, that's not him".

My favorite Batman and Joker are Kevin Conroy and Mark Hamill. They are perfect and animation lets the characters be most like the source material.

However, it is stupid to compare them to live action adaptions so I really enjoy Bale and Ledger. Nolan's films are my favorite live action Bat flicks

It did amuse me how Nolan paid homage to Burton's first movie in certain places of his trilogy.

The few scenes which stick out most in my mind are:

1. The Joker dares Batman to attack him: In Batman (1989) this comes towards the film's end as the Batwing attacks the 200th anniversary parade Joker has hi-jacked. Joker sees Batman flying in for a showdown "Come on you gruesome son of a bitch, come to me!" In TDK, Joker dares Batman to "Hit me!" with the batpod. In both these films, Joker has a ridiculous sized gun:

Screen+shot+2012-07-13+at+1.00.33+PM.png

Screen+shot+2012-07-13+at+12.53.26+PM.pn

joker1989.jpg

dark-knight-joker.jpg

2. The Joker's last scene in TDK: He dangles from Batman's propeller gun as the searchlight's from the Gotham PD dance across him and the night sky. Very reminiscent of the end of Burton's Batman, where Joker dangles from the helicopter ladder with the searchlights beneath him:

batman-joker-fall-001_1199758255.jpghqdefault.jpg\

How about the Joker's actual fall? It looks almost identical for a few fleeting frames

batman-joker-fall-002_1199758403.jpgTheJoker32.jpg

3. The BATWING saves the day: Batman grabs the Joker's funky toxic balloon in 1989, dropping them safely away from civilization in the Gotham bay. In TDKR, Batman's Batwing grabs the nuclear device and drops it where?

89bnd2.jpg

00233.jpg

There's probably way more, but I rest my case...

Nice finds, thanks! I've never noticed that before. Crazy, I think...

Nolan. He made Batman believable. I don't think anything can top the excitement I felt the first time I saw the trailer for The Dark Knight in theatres and everything leading up until it's release. I remember getting chills when I heard Ledger's joker laugh as the title appeared at the end, holy shit. It's really the only movie I've seen that came anywhere close to living up to it's hype. You can scream "overrated" all you want for whatever reason, that movie is on point and easily my favorite interpretation of the Batman universe. It's pretty much perfect.

The Tim Burton movies were great for what they are, but I consider their influnce in spawing Batman: The Animated Series infinitely more awesome than the movies themselves. That cartoon was fucking legendary.

I read a Frank Miller interview recently, in which he states he's walked out of every Batman movie he's seen. He gives a shot and at some point during the movie(s), he finds himself thinking, "nope, that's not him".

Haha that's awesome. The man takes men in tights seriously. Kinda like Nolan. NOPE! NOT HIM! I'm.....FUCKING OUT!

Edited by Rovim

Burton made the better films. Nolan's films try too hard to be art when they are just big, popcorn movies.

Batman Forever is very underrated.

Keaton was the best Batman with Kilmer second. Fuck Bale, the whispery cunt that he is.

Talia's death for one.

Bale acted his tail off as a crippled prisoner though, props to him.

I think the ending would've worked better if he did get blown up with the nuke. Unless as some fans theorize, that last bit in the cafe was just in Alfred's head.

Nah, it was real. Not Nolan's style to do that shit. Dude wanted closure too bad. He's too much of a perfectionist to let that happen imo. But maybe I'm wrong.

I don't think any of the older Batman movies have aged particularly well.

Although I also have a feeling Nolan's won't either.

Personally, I think the Burton films have an undefined period, where you have modern stuff mixed in with 30's (?) gangster ( not to mention the architecture) that will age better.

It's not clear what decade it is set in.

I "must be old" but I don't judge a movie by it's special effects ( not insinuating you do either, just to clarify) but there's a scene in 89 Batman at the beginning where he has watched the two criminals mug that family and you see the animated shadow turn around and stalk off from the edge of a building- I fucking love that, it's obviously animated but for me it has this otherworldly feel to it that just brings something...

Edited by DR DOOM

I don't think any of the older Batman movies have aged particularly well.

Although I also have a feeling Nolan's won't either.

I don't think Batman: Returns has aged nearly as well as it's predecessor but is certainly watchable compared to the Schumacher films.

Batman Begins is probably my favorite from the Nolan series. I really love how Gotham fell more in line with Burton's vision in this flick as opposed to some drab American city in the two sequels.

Edited by AxlsMainMan

In all fairness to Nolan, as the Batman films got bigger and more operatic, they became much harder to do in tightly controlled settings that had a lot of production flair.

Batman '89 was done all on soundstages and from what I've read, it was pretty much a nightmare to film. If you watch it closely, as I clearly have hundreds of times, you can see them recycle the stages. They're simply rotating them so you think you're seeing lots of landmarks, when its pretty much the same couple blocks of city-scape. It was just very important to the iconography of that film that Gotham City look very claustrophobic and very artificial.

It's generally accepted that Christopher Nolan tried to give Gotham a look in at least, Batman Begins. But when the films got longer, more demanding and quicker paced in the last two sequels, he had to abandon Gotham as a character to let everything else exist. It was a case of priorities and he didn't have the time, money or inclination to make Gotham look like Gotham.

From what I remember reading a long time ago (and I think it was actually David Goyer who said this and not Nolan) the plan was to keep Joker around in the third film and Batman would visit him at Arkham and they would have a Silence of the Lambs relationship that would focus on capturing the new villain in town.

I imagine at some point, Joker would have escaped and the plot would have escalated from there.

The coolest thing about that concept to me is, very probably, Heath Ledger would have been playing the Joker with no makeup. Unless Joker was smearing mashed potatoes on his face to give it that white tint, he just wouldn't have had access to makeup. That in itself would have given Joker more depth, stripping him of his beloved makeup.