I have never liked any of Gn'R's drummers past Matt Sorum

I see a lot people saying things like this and I don't get it. What am I missing? What is it that so many people dislike about the way he plays Brownstone? I'm not a drummer so I don't know if I will describe this right, but the only thing I hear different is when he goes to a double time thing of sorts right after the solo. I actually like that, but everything else on it sounds the same as the original to me.

I think Ferrer brings new life to Brownstone. The song was stale and he brought a fresh take to it

I'm glad to hear at least one other person feels that way :lol:

He does that to a lot of tunes IMO. Off the top of my head, I think he does the same thing for Estranged and Sorry. He adds all sorts of tom rolls and fill in Estranged that aren't in the original and it adds a bunch to the song for me. In Sorry, he does a sweet ass slow build during the "It's harder to live with the truth about you...." part that I so wish was on the studio version.

He did the same thing for Better and IRS when he joined in 2006 and both of his improvements ended up on the album. I wish the thing he added to Sorry was on there too.

totally agreed....he's got the best groove since adler and all the added nuances he brings are a plus

He's such a failure. Gun fooked ycbm. I will never forgive.

Never forgive? I'm not holding a grudge against him. He just wasn't a very good GNR drummer since he couldn't play the GNR songs right.

I see a lot people saying things like this and I don't get it. What am I missing? What is it that so many people dislike about the way he plays Brownstone? I'm not a drummer so I don't know if I will describe this right, but the only thing I hear different is when he goes to a double time thing of sorts right after the solo. I actually like that, but everything else on it sounds the same as the original to me.

I hate these kind of answers I'm giving you now, but if you can't hear the difference I don't know what to tell you. There is a distinct difference.

Edit: Take another song where the drums are pretty important. Rocket Queen. Surely you can hear the difference there? He's unable to play the songs right.

Edited by Satanisk_Slakt

He's such a failure. Gun fooked ycbm. I will never forgive.

Never forgive? I'm not holding a grudge against him. He just wasn't a very good GNR drummer since he couldn't play the GNR songs right.

I hate these kind of answers I'm giving you now, but if you can't hear the difference I don't know what to tell you. There is a distinct difference.

Edit: Take another song where the drums are pretty important. Rocket Queen. Surely you can hear the difference there? He's unable to play the songs right.

I know what you mean when you say "I can't describe it, but I hear it". I was that way the whole time Brain was in the band and I felt like I was taking crazy pills because I couldn't describe it lol

However, Rocket Queen is another example of something that I love that Frank does. He does a double time sort of swing ( <- all techincal drum terms lol) coming out of the solo during the key change before the last chorus that I LOVE. I can see how it wouldn't be everyone's cup of tea though.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but haven't all the drummers since Freese onwards received some direction from Axl on how to play the old songs (not to mention the new) and that was to put their own stamp on them? Sorum's AFD improvisations were OK I guess and took some of the songs up to a stadium level, but it seems like he never sat down and tried to pick up Steven's feel for the AFD songs.

I like Frank. In fact, I think Frank's the best drummer GNR have had. Brain's a close second, but could be half assed and sloppy at times.

Go ahead, shoot, bitch.

Frank is a quality drummer, some hate him, not cos he's shit (which he isn't) but because he wasn't in the 80's or 90's lineup. Top guy too, have me a set of drumsticks in 2012

The only thing wrong with Matt Sorum (apart from his hair, obviously) during his time in GNR was his utterly awful live drum sound. It really sounded like he was hitting trees.

I always lol at people who bash his wotk on the Illusions for being robotic when it has clearly been stated that Axl gave him very little freedom

His sound and playing on TSI on the other hand are really insane. Great, great stuff.

Edited by EvH
  • Like 2

The only thing wrong with Matt Sorum (apart from his hair, obviously) during his time in GNR was his utterly awful live drum sound. It really sounded like he was hitting trees.

I always lol at people who bash his wotk on the Illusions for being robotic when it has clearly been stated that Axl gave him very little freedom

His sound and playing on TSI on the other hand are really insane. Great, great stuff.

I meant robotic in a good way - I am a drummer and love his playing, he's literally a human drum machine. Just think it's too straight on the beat for Guns.

I meant robotic in a good way - I am a drummer and love his playing, he's literally a human drum machine. Just think it's too straight on the beat for Guns.

Robotic can't be good for this type of music. What Guns music was at the time anyway. What they've strived for with the Illusions. Sometimes his playing was great, on some songs. For the most part it didn't sound right. Like Izzy said.

Robotic can't be good for this type of music. What Guns music was at the time anyway. What they've strived for with the Illusions. Sometimes his playing was great, on some songs. For the most part it didn't sound right. Like Izzy said.

I think we agree then! Great drummer... just too "on the beat" for Guns.

His better stuff in my opinion was things like Locomotive.